[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>read scientific american for a few months, follow them on
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /pol/ - Politically Incorrect

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: 4356.jpg (22 KB, 493x359) Image search: [Google]
4356.jpg
22 KB, 493x359
>read scientific american for a few months, follow them on twitter
>every other day there is a new article on transgendered children, and it's effects on children's lives and families
>mfw

For fucks sake all I want to read about is science, which should not have political leanings to begin with. Are there any good, uncucked science news websites?
>>
>>78044997
Scientific American has been lefty propaganda for a long time. They published articles a couple years ago advocating banning All research on race. Try discovermagazine.com
>>
>>78044997
Nature, Science, Cell

Just read the News and Views.

Hopefully you're a student and can get access

http://www.nature.com/news/index.html

I'm a PhD student studying the genetics of psychiatric disorders like ASD and schizophrenia. This is what we do. SciAM was a good publication back in the 90s when my dad subscribed to it. Now it's shit
>>
>>78045343
>They published articles a couple years ago advocating banning All research on race.

See, you would think that the science community, a community so devoted to focus on facts and reality, wouldn't be so easily swayed by this leftist garbage. How could you make something like science politically biased? Absolute insanity.

>>78045472
Im actually not a student of science, I am just interested in learning more and becoming smarter. Well, I guess gaining "smarts" from the media is kind of backwards thinking.
>>
File: staph.jpg (8 KB, 236x238) Image search: [Google]
staph.jpg
8 KB, 236x238
>>78045800
>See, you would think that the science community, a community so devoted to focus on facts and reality, wouldn't be so easily swayed by this leftist garbage. How could you make something like science politically biased? Absolute insanity.

Woah woah woah

SciAm =/= scientific community.

A lot of what SciAm publishes the scientific community (active researchers) have already discussed and known for a few months.

In genetics we have to do our analysis based on race due to an atrifact known as "genomic inflation"

>In a nutshell
> Do a study to find genetic associations for Diabetes
> 100 Europeans and 50 Africans in your study
> If you don't separate the two then the African specific alleles (variants which the Europeans do not have) will look to be related to disease.
>But really it's just a marker of African ancestry

I meant to say if you are enrolled at a university you can get over a paywall.

The news and opinions of NSC (Nature, Science, Cell) is similar to SciAm's level. And there is way less political opinion (sometimes the editors will denounce Trump but it's way less than SciAm)

>SciAm NOT peer reviewed
>NSC peer reviewed (albeit with the highest paper retraction rates)
>>
>>78045800
>science politically biased?

Also quick answer is funding

Our governments dictate how much money to budget to research

>Dems tend to give more
>Trump has released NO statements about research

My salary is completely paid by the tax payer.

So yeah it gets political because scientists want more money but certain politicians want to limit it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eg1vIeuQT1s

Like this idiot who has no idea how research works.
>>
>>78047204
>>78047528

Ok, interesting information. I guess as long as the science community knows that SciAm is bullshit it's ok. It's a bummer that NSC has a paywall but I will still try to read as much from it as I can.
>>
>>78047768
https://elifesciences.org/

https://elifesciences.org/category/insight

https://elifesciences.org/elife-news

http://blogs.plos.org/plos/

Some open-source journals too that are gaining traction

Science subscription is not too expensive and TBQH senpai a lot of scientists are poo-pooing it because it's becoming too pedestrian
>>
>>78047768
yeah and if you have any other questions about science/research let me know
>>
>>78048497
Great stuff! I appreciate it. I feared for a moment that all scientific journals were politically biased like SciAm, and I was living in a 1984 universe.
>>
>inb4 reddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/science

filter by field at the top and get almost unlimited information on the subject of your choice by multiple sources.
>>
>>78044997
>every other day there is a new article on transgendered children, and it's effects on children's lives and families

Sry is that supposed to be the beneficial effects?
>>
>>78048931
Tenure is a great thing and a bad thing. There is freedom in academia but with certain costs and definitely abuses.

Many tenured professors like to push their political agendas. But there are a good few men who uphold individual liberty and seek truth.

PhD stands for Doctor of Philosophy and each scientific publication is essentially the Socratic method of definition and using emperical evidence to back your claim.

Some people are unmoral and abuse this and alter data but generally speaking I think this is a great tradition universities maintain; a revival of Classic values since the Renaissance

>>78049144
r/science sucks honestly. Many of the papers posted are old or completely taken out of context. People have no idea how research or the science works and become armchair professors. There is some good but I think people generally get mislead on these forums.
>>
I know that feel, bro. I used to read Popular Science, Wired, Scientific America to keep up with scientific developments and technology. Had to stop because I couldn't take the leftist/feminist propaganda anymore.

I'm less informed than I was in those areas, but I don't really care. Technology is destroying us.
>>
SciAm is pretty shit tier from what I remember and had a pretty low impact factor which means to most people in the scientific community it's absolute garbage.
Nature and Science are probably the two biggest journals and are somewhat broken down into a fair few subcategories of journals which are usually more niche.
>>
>>78051814
>SciAm is pretty shit tier from what I remember and had a pretty low impact factor

It's not peer reviewed it doesn't (or shouldn't have) an impact factor.
>>
>>78052335
Looking it up, it does for some reason. It's 1.07 which is pretty much irrelevant.
>>
>Burger with an interest in Science.

What a rare occurence, personally I like reading futurism.com.

It read like the Elite showcasing their cool shit, it's kinda neat.
>>
>tfw go to the library to check out Galileo's Middle Finger
>It's a book written by a lefty bioethicist about how progressives are ruining science by trying to stop research which conflicts with their social views
>Put hold on it, two months later librarian says the person who last checked it out refuses to return it, doesn't want people reading this right wing propaganda
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.