[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
hey /po/, i'm planning to make something like pic related,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /po/ - Papercraft & Origami

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 5
File: 41CkAPmBVzL._SY355_.jpg (15 KB, 355x355) Image search: [Google]
41CkAPmBVzL._SY355_.jpg
15 KB, 355x355
hey /po/,

i'm planning to make something like pic related, but instead of a star in form of a heart. now since i'm a scrub, i would like to ask you guys.

whats the expected difficulty? i only mean the crafting part, not electronics. it doesn't have to be high-end, it just shouldn't look like utter shit

what kind of material should i use? it has to be strong enough to endure around 50 gram (mostly the weight of batteries) inside of it, but it doesn't need to be wood either

would it be reasonable to fold two hearts and combine them somehow to achieve the space inbetween for the electronics or is there a more common approach for things like that?
>>
I don't think it would be too difficult. The heart would be faceted, not smooth and organic, if papercraft. You might be able to manage curved sections, but there would still be sharp fold lines.

The hardest part is probably designing the heart. Fortunately, there is one here: http://www.mookeep.com/229/heart-shape-papercraft-model/

If you can manage, you're probably best off transferring that pattern to a large sheet of cardstock with a compass/straightedge, or proportional dividers. Otherwise you need a large format printer which can handle thick stock, or a cnc plotter. Continued...
>>
Posterboard would work well. Cutting thick stock is difficult for most people. You need a sharp knife and ideally a steel straightedge which can span the length of the cut. It would be worth buying a 9mm snap blade knife for this project if you don't have one. You hold down the straightedge very firmly, and cut lightly on the first stroke. It might take ten strokes to cut all the way through the material. Hold the straightedge firmly the whole time. Blades dull quickly, you might only get 4 meters of cutting before you should snap off a segment.

If you want a heart larger than about a meter across, foam board, or corrugated cardboard if you are confident, would do the job well. The seams might be joined and highlighted with pre creased paper strips.

The project would look more professional if there was light diffusion, or translucent paper glued behind the light openings. Vellum or parchment paper.

Cutting the light holes may also be tedious with a knife. Perhaps a suitably shaped hammer-driven leather punch would do the job. Experiment in test pieces to determine what makes a nice clean hole.

The electronics support is whatever... suspend it with thread, paper strips, wires, a piece of celery, etc.

Good luck!
>>
>>535580
>>535579
really appreciate your effort, thanks! this will take me quite a while for sure
>>
File: DSCF4590.jpg (2 MB, 2304x1728) Image search: [Google]
DSCF4590.jpg
2 MB, 2304x1728
>>535579
>>535580
i am fucking done. posting results.

thank you so much for posting the model and giving me some input, i could have never done it without it
>>
File: DSCF4591.jpg (2 MB, 2304x1728) Image search: [Google]
DSCF4591.jpg
2 MB, 2304x1728
>>536490
>>
File: DSCF4592.jpg (2 MB, 2304x1728) Image search: [Google]
DSCF4592.jpg
2 MB, 2304x1728
>>536491
>>
File: DSCF4594.jpg (2 MB, 2304x1728) Image search: [Google]
DSCF4594.jpg
2 MB, 2304x1728
>>536492
>>
>>536493
pretty! Nice work
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.