[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
New to this lands of 4chan but I come here for a simple question.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: sony-a6000-wall.jpg (198 KB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
sony-a6000-wall.jpg
198 KB, 1200x900
New to this lands of 4chan but I come here for a simple question.

What do you think of Mirrorless Cameras. I got a DSLR myself but lately I've been considering on maybe trying the mirrorless ones.

What are your thoughts on them?
Does anybody use here one, or both?

Pic related, the Sony a6000
>>
I switched from a DSLR to mirrorless.
Mirrorless great for studio shots and tripod stuff. DSLR great for sports and long tele lenses.
If you have a more specific question I can answer it
>>
>>2874955
I moved from nikon to an a6000
The a6000 is much lighter, much more lens choices, much more convenient bringing around.
The only issue i have with it is that vertically the body was a little too short for me since i have big hands, so i got a battery grip to give myself more to hold on to
>>
>>2874963
thank you! got plenty actually but to start..

why is it that everyone says DSLR's are better for sports and such? If mirrorless have better fps (unless you go to the high-end DSLR models) and -supposedly- faster AF

Do you think weight can be a determinant factor to choose a mirrorless over a dslr? I mean, at the end you need to consider also de lenses weight!. For example, XT10 is around 380 grams while the Nikon d5500 is just 40 grams heavier...
>>
>>2874993
Mirrorless single point autofocus is good these days if you have Sony, or Panasonic. But no mirrorless camera has a competitive continuous or tracking focus mode yet. You often lose live view when shooting at high rates on mirrorless cameras. Good for a shot of breaking glass but bad for following soccer players.

For me, weight has never been a consideration.
>>
Lurk the fuck more
and read the fucking sticky
delete your thread
then kill yourself
>>
>>2874997
Lens selection tends to limit mirrorless systems for high end sports and definately wildlife. I also would imagine battery life being a concern.

Personally, I went all mirrorless in 2013 after 20 years of SLRs.

I am very happy, with incredibly few regrets, and hate picking up a DSLR now that isn't medium format.
>>
>>2874993
if you shoot sports casually, a6000 or a6300 is more than enough.
if you're a pro tell your boss to get you a d5.
>>
>>2875104
I would agree with this; although if you must shoot sports you still can with an a7, laea4, and A mount teles. A bit expensive and convoluted but cheaper than buying an entire second system
>>
>>2874997
A few mirrorless cameras that incorporate phase detection on sensor (X-T1, E-M1, A6100/6300) have AF tracking comparable to midrange DSLRs. You absolutely can shoot sports with them, but you'll get some misses here and there; no mirrorless cameras are as reliable as D4/D500 or 1D/7D.

On the bright side, AF misalignment never happens on mirrorless.
>>
>>2874980
What grip did you get?
>>
>>2875104
Hi there!

You seem to have made a bit of a mistake in your post. Luckily, the users of 4chan are always willing to help you clear this problem right up! You appear to have used a tripcode when posting, but your identity has nothing at all to do with the conversation! Whoops! You should always remember to stop using your tripcode when the thread it was used for is gone, unless another one is started! Posting with a tripcode when it isn't necessary is poor form. You should always try to post anonymously, unless your identity is absolutely vital to the post that you're making!

Now, there's no need to thank me - I'm just doing my bait to help you get used to the anonymous image-board culture!
>>
>>2874955
sony nex f3. it's ok. fake 50i video, they're duplicates.

sony a5100. body is so small i can't hold it with a big lens. chink leather half case fix this. shutter button is not ideal spot, so i shoot chest level most of the time. touch screen is limited to focusing.

fujifilm xe1. it's shit. evf and liveview craps out in low light. slow focusing. great dynamic range out of the camera though. raw post processing can be slow as mollusk.

eos m. best camera out of the all the above.
autofocus is slow but usable. not for sports. you can install magic lantern. shoot raw video. crop mode for no pixel binning. increase bitrate for h264 video. no focus peaking out of the box. magic lantern peaking is crap though. better colours than sony. nicer grains.

check out eos m3, a6000, fuji xe2, panasonic gx80.
>>
File: IMG_6300L.jpg (190 KB, 2000x1333) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6300L.jpg
190 KB, 2000x1333
I use both a Mirrorless and a DSLR.

I purchased their EOS-M mirrorless camera when it came out and recently have bought several tiny native EF-M lenses for the mirrorless camera. I like to use DSLRs for either very lowlight shots (clubs etc) where I need less noise ratio for high ISO settings... or when I'm shooting Astrophotography (for much the same reason). That said, some of my best astrophotography was done with the EOS-M mirrorless. You can even mount large DSLR EF lenses to it with an optional adaper.

I think both cameras serve a purpose and that their usefulness overlaps. There's many places I can't use or carry a DSLR without either getting kicked out, arrested or stared at. I used to carry a subcompact camera in my pocket but mirrorless offers even better lowlight performance and usually better image quality.

There's quite a few good mirrorless cameras on the market today. Sony are certainly popular and Samsung are now trying to break into the market. I prefer Canon colors and lens selections though.

I've won more awards from pictures taken with my EOS-M mirrorless camera than with my DSLRs. Most people don't know what cameras I've used so they're making their judgements on the appeal of the images I've presented.

The EOS-M (original model) once sold for about $299 and their popular 22mm f/2 prime lens sells for just $150. I don't think it gets any better than this for a beginner thinking about trying mirrorless. The recent EOS-M3 is the current model and there's evidence that Canon will release a full-frame mirrorless by the first quarter of 2017.

I just received my Canon EF-M 28mm Macro IS STM lens which has a ring-light built into the tapered end of the lens. It's proving to take excellent images and I'm amazed at the low price of this lens (USD $299). Paid jobs sometimes still require me to bring a DSLR with me though.

Pic: Canon EOS-M mirrorless camera + 22mm f/2 prime lens.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 6D
Camera SoftwarePhotos 1.0.1
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.2
Image-Specific Properties:
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2015:06:28 02:52:24
Exposure Time1/160 sec
F-Numberf/1.2
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating320
Lens Aperturef/1.2
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length85.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width2000
Image Height1333
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.