[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/gear/ - Gear Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 33
File: 1455192298750.jpg (177 KB, 758x720) Image search: [Google]
1455192298750.jpg
177 KB, 758x720
If you have questions about a new camera, what lenses to buy and anything related to gear or wondering about getting into photography, post it in this thread.

Do not attempt to make a new thread for your new Rabal, broken glass and being new.
No pointless (brand) arguments and dickwaving allowed! You have been warned!

I repeat, ANYTHING GEAR RELATED goes in here!

And don't forget, be polite!

Previous thread: >>2840051

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakePENTAX
Camera ModelPENTAX K-5
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS5 Windows
PhotographerBrian J Davies
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)75 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution120 dpi
Vertical Resolution120 dpi
Image Created2013:11:19 08:09:55
Exposure Time1 sec
F-Numberf/8.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/8.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModeCenter Weighted Average
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length50.00 mm
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width758
Image Height720
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceManual
Scene Capture TypeStandard
ContrastHard
SaturationNormal
SharpnessHard
Subject Distance RangeMacro
>>
What cameras are the best option right now for shooting with vintage glasses?

Im thinking about fuji and sony right now but would welcome any advice.

*repost from last thread
>>
>>2842043
see
>>2842026
>>2842040
>>
>>2842044
>>2842040

how important are EVF? im looking at the fujis and the lower tier bodies (x-m1 x-a1) don't have EVF. Would that affect manual focusing?
>>
>>2842052
For me the OVF doesn't cause much problems with focusing, I just pick a detail, focus, set aperture 2 or more clicks down and shoot.
If I want to do wide open I just use focus peaking in liveview.
Shooting from the hip doesn't need either, I just zone focus, close aperture to f/8 and fire away.
The EVF advantage is only cool until you realize you don't really rely on it.
>>
>>2842052
Very much so, yes. The EVF is what lets you know whether the lens is focused correctly or not. A tunnel finder would leave you guessing even worse than a DSLR would.

If you can't afford a quality mirrorless camera, a cheap DSLR with live view mode might do you well, but you'll lose good stability and battery life when looking at the back screen.
>>
>>2842060

What camera are you shooting with?
>>
>>2842064
Pentax. K-3 to be precise but everything works the same on a K-50.
>>
>>2842067

according to some quick google search canon dslr's don't have focus peaking so i think they are out.

do all pentax dslr's have focus peaking?
>>
>>2842060
>I just zone focus,

what's that?
>>
>>2842064
>>2842067
For clarity, the K-3 has a TTL viewfinder, so you can SORT OF see whether you're in focus or not, especially at smaller apertures.

To correct this guy
>>2842061
a screen on the back will do just fine in terms of focusing, but in that regard, it's no different than a DSLR in live view mode. Sounds like he's thinking that the cameras have uncoupled tunnel viewfinders, like on a Powershot G11, and that's not the case.
>>
>>2842073
Magic Lantern has it.

>>2842074
When you look at the focusing ring on an old lens you see distance numbers, lines and aperture numbers.
You judge distance, set aperture so the lines cover a certain range, place it over the distance, shoot.
>>
>>2842074
Where you set the aperture in a way that gives you a wide depth of field, and then set the focus at about 8 feet away, and then walk around and put your subject about 8 feet away. It's adjusting your scene to the focus point, rather than adjusting your focus point to the scene.
>>
>>2842073
And yes, all Pentax DSLRs have focus peaking and focus assist in the OVF with the AF points.
You are the focus motor, the AF point beeps and lights up when in focus.
>>
I'm looking for a not toó expensive upgrade for my kit lens. I'm considering sigma 17 50 2.8 and tamron 17 50 2.8. Which one would you recommend?
>>
>>2842083
Tamron
>>
>>2842080

Wouldn't that really limit your options on what shots you can take?
>>
>>2842093
Not really, only the speed with which you can take them. If you notice a scene where the focus point would be at 4 feet, or 20 feet, you can look down and adjust the focus. In some ways, and in some shooting styles, it's better, because you're already in focus, and you just have to put the camera in the right spot (or wait for your subject to walk to the right distance) and don't have to worry about focus points or locking focus, etc.

A lot of people love it for street shooting.
>>
>>2842097
And it is the main reason why the Pentax limited lenses have all the scales on them including the DOF indicators
>>
I need a new everyday camera / laptop bag (5dmkiii and some lenses) not super big on messenger bags - thoughts?
>>
>>2842283
Natgeo walkabout, Lowepro sling etc...
>>
>>2842279
Not just them. Many many lenses have that. But yes, the distance scale lets you set focus based on the distance to the subject without having to worry about a focus screen being accurate.
>>
>>2842288
Not many other lenses have those informations on today. It's all about AF these days.
>>
>>2842291
As it should be. Anything that makes you pay attention to your equipment rather than your scene is generally a bad thing, unless your goal is merely the experience of using the camera.
>>
File: talking-out-ass.jpg (3 KB, 200x258) Image search: [Google]
talking-out-ass.jpg
3 KB, 200x258
>>2842292
>>
>>2842297
Please name one situation where it's better to be staring at your lens than watching your scene?

Where paying attention to measurements of distance is better than paying attention to composition, or model direction?
>>
File: DSC_6132-2.jpg (518 KB, 1000x668) Image search: [Google]
DSC_6132-2.jpg
518 KB, 1000x668
>>2842060
>>2842061
Guys, he's talking about the low-tier Fujis, which have rear LCDs but no EVF or OVF.

>>2842052
The EVF saves battery life, it's easier to use in bright sunlight, and shooting with an actual viewfinder usually makes for a more stable position. It also just feels much more natural if you're used to SLRs or rangefinders.

It shows the same shit as the rear LCD, though, so stuff like manual focusing etc aren't really changed. Manual focusing can actually be easier on the rear LCD sometimes, because you have a bigger screen to see it on, but doing it that way is pretty awkward unless you're on a tripod or something.

>>2842301
I like lenses with scales for certain stuff where I know I'm going to want to shoot at infinity. With vintage lenses it's no big deal because they have a hard infinity stop, but a lot of modern AF lenses don't, so it's nice to just be able to look at the scale and line it up.

>>2842283
I'm a huge fan of Think Tank's products, and they have a lot of backpacks and slings.

Another thing you could check out is the Vanquest Pilum sling bag, if you like the "tacticool" aesthetic. I use one for my Hasselblad when I'm out with it, and then take out the dividers and use it as an everyday bag for laptop, work papers, and my X100. It's comfortable, easier to access than a backpack, and has a very thin profile that doesn't get in the way and doesn't scream camera bag.

Equipment MakeNIKON CORPORATION
Camera ModelNIKON D610
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 6.4 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.4
Color Filter Array Pattern802
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)35 mm
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2016:04:13 23:12:28
Exposure Time1/30 sec
F-Numberf/2.8
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating3200
Lens Aperturef/2.8
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
Focal Length35.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Gain ControlHigh Gain Up
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
File: outofass.jpg (56 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
outofass.jpg
56 KB, 500x333
>>2842301
>>
I was looking to either buy a new prime lens for my Pentax k-7. Was thinking something something for everyday use, most likely a pancake lens.

But I've also heard some really good things about Sony and was considering getting something to experiment in that way.

What should I do?
>>
>>2842378
The DA 40 Limited is a very nice pancake, close to 35mm for everyday use. Also there is the 21mm which could be even better but that should be above the 40mm in price.
The DA 40 XS is the same optically as the Limiited but not the same build quality.
For the Sony you will need to buy new lenses. Not that much to choose from.
>>
>>2842378
I like my Sony, but I really don't see the need to switch systems over an "everyday" lens.

How about just getting one of those very flat 40mm Pentax pancake lenses?
>>
>>2842392
>>2842393

I really appreciate the advice. Thanks
>>
>>2842378
If you want to upgrade the body for a better high ISO and noise performance, a K-50 or a K-5II, maybe a K-3 would be the better choice.
A K-50 will give you 4 more stops of ISO and less noise.
>>
>>2842415

This is actually what I'm, sort of, after. I feel like my photos aren't clear enough. I have some good lenses but none of them autofocus and my viewfinder is always off point when I need it most. Thank you.
>>
I'm not sure whether this just me, but has anyone tried freelensing on MF using lenses designed for 35mm? I wanted to try taking a macro shot by freelensing a 55mm f/1.7 m42 lens in front of my Mamiya m645, I was also looking at the openings on the backs of the lens to see if they were a similar size to my native 70mm 2.8
>>
File: D3S_7445-1200 (1).jpg (210 KB, 1200x861) Image search: [Google]
D3S_7445-1200 (1).jpg
210 KB, 1200x861
I dont see anyone on here using these
why is that
>>
>>2842566
Because they're the memeiest of memecameras.
>>
File: IMG_4346.jpg (288 KB, 565x800) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4346.jpg
288 KB, 565x800
>>2842566
Because film photos don't show exif?
I used one for ages until I bought an F1.
I hate the sound of the squeaky shutter, but aside from that it's a fine camera.

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 550D
Camera SoftwareGIMP 2.8.14
Firmware VersionFirmware Version 1.0.8
Serial Number1132529712
Lens NameEF100mm f/2.8 Macro USM
Horizontal Resolution350 dpi
Vertical Resolution350 dpi
Image Created2015:11:08 14:47:34
Exposure Time1/125 sec
F-Numberf/9.5
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/9.5
Exposure Bias0 EV
Focal Length100.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width565
Image Height800
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
Exposure ModeManual
Focus TypeAuto
Metering ModePartial
SharpnessUnknown
SaturationNormal
ContrastNormal
Shooting ModeManual
Image SizeUnknown
Focus ModeOne-Shot
Drive ModeTimed
Flash ModeOff
Compression SettingFine
Self-Timer Length10 sec
Macro ModeNormal
White BalanceCustom
Exposure Compensation3
Sensor ISO Speed160
Color Matrix129
>>
what's a good starter camera for someone looking to get into photography without breaking the bank?
>>
>>2842566
>I dont see anyone on here using these
>why is that
Because as much as I like the camera, I hate the sound of the shutter and end up using C/Y mount cameras a bit more. Or my Leica, Or MF.
>>2842580
>Because film photos don't show exif?
>im-fucking-plying
Your laziness should not be the benchmark d e s u.
>>2842694
Canon EOS 300. Not the 300D.
>>
File: 1D-C.png (383 KB, 1000x778) Image search: [Google]
1D-C.png
383 KB, 1000x778
What the fuck is wrong with people?
>>
>>2841953
Hey guys,

I'm looking to buy a shutter release for my 350D.
Should I get the shitty stock model or should I get the advanced Chinese models?
I'm sure the answer is obvious, but are there any disadvantages to the aftermarket unit?
>>
>>2842727
kekkonnen
This is because internet reviewers constantly bleat about megapixels not mattering, when in reality, for an amateur or a fine art photographer (ie serious amateur) obsessed with IQ, who only shoots at base ISO, that's the only thing that matters once you're using a good enough lense. And they're the only people buying cameras on the secondary market, and basically every other interchangeable lense camera released in the last 4 years, even at the bottom of the market, has dominated the 1D as far as absolute IQ goes.
>>
>>2842729
Get a chinese model if you want. There's no disadvantages and some may have more features.

I'm not sure what kind of disadvantages you'd expect from a shutter release though.
>>
>>2842737
>I'm not sure what kind of disadvantages you'd expect from a shutter release though.

I didn't think there were, but I like ask before I buy things.

The features are the main reason I looked into them. There's no reason for me to pay the same price for a piece of plastic and wires when I can get it with a LCD screen, timer, light and microprocessor.
>>
Im looking for small camera that i always can have with me, with changable lenses. As cheap as possible, ill be using old manual lenses.
Maybe some mirrorless? Or maybe small something with fixed lens built in? I'll be photographing everything, i just need something that is better than smartphone camera. Preferably viewfinder or ragefinder.
>>
>>2842742
i can buy samsung nx100 for 85$ is it worth it?
>>
>>2842736

Of course I get that, but why are nice cameras selling for just a couple times more than shitty 1D MkIIs and 1Ds?
Why are people driving the prices up on these pieces of shit?
I considered getting a 1Ds in order to eliminate the crop factor and for fun, but I'm not paying $300+ for a 15+ year old camera.
I would have bought that 1D C if I had the money saved up.
>>
File: battery_marking.jpg (106 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
battery_marking.jpg
106 KB, 500x500
Any reason why I shouldn't mark my eneloop AA batteries in the green area around the positive contact? It seems to be made of a different material than the rest of the battery, so I'm guessing that a sharpie marking would stay there.

>>
>>2842764
Yes. It could catch fire.
>>
>>2842764
What's wrong with masking tape?
>>
File: cam.jpg (79 KB, 920x800) Image search: [Google]
cam.jpg
79 KB, 920x800
I've recently started to pick up film compacts from thrift stores. What are notable/interesting ones to keep an eye out for? Or short of memorizing a list of models, is there some sort of quality I might judge by?
>>
>>2842764
what's wrong with stickers?
>>
>>2842797

What's the point?
>>
>>2842768
wut
>>2842785
>>2842807
Haven't tried it, I suspect it will start to ooze the glue when they get warm during charging.
>>
I'm looking to buy a cheap dSLR.

Must have:

-nice and big viewfinder
-no shutter lag and fast operation
-manual controls
-200 $ max

everything else is secondary

I'd grab a rabal xsi or a nikon d40 but no idea about the viewfinders and operation.
>>
>>2842852
Your closest option will be a 5Dc, but even then, you won't be able to get it for $200, and you won't 'be able to afford even a single lens, as Canon's cheapest lens is more than half your budget.
>>
>>2842797
It's easy.
Primes > Zooms
Manual Focus > Autofocus > Fixed Focus/Focus free
35mm film > 124/Instamatic > APS/Advantix > 110
Metal > Plastic
Manual Control > Selectable Exposure modes > Fixed exposure
Fully Mechanical (no meter)> AA's > Button cells > Lithiums > Mechanical w/ dead Selenium meter
Konica > Olympus > Rollei > Ricoh > Fuji > Nikon > Pentacks > Leica > Canon > pretty much everything else
>>
>>2842852
Pentax K-30, mate. Pentaprism, 100% accuracy, bright viewfinder, fast operation, seamless integration for manual glass, manual controls.
>>
>>2842876
that would be beautiful but hard to grab for under 200$, thanks.

>>2842853
budget is for body only
>>
>>2842876
It's APS-C, so the viewfinder is not going to be big, or bright.
>>
Is it possible to get my t5i go regularly autofocus accurately if I get my lenses calibrated to it or something? I have a licensed canon repair shop in my town and it's not crazy priced, I just don't know if it will be worth it.

As of last night I could not get an autofocus point to pin point my subjects eye even under studio lighting.
>>
>>2842915
The alternative being to reprioritize my next purchase and look into upgrading the body.
>>
>>2842881
Have you ever used a Pentax DSLR?
>>
>>2842915
Very difficult to know the answer without more details.

When you say studio lighting, do you mean constant brightness hot-lights? Or are you talking about flashes, where you focus in the dim light, and then the shutter fires and the scene gets bright?

Is it off by the same amount all the time in every lighting condition? If so, then yes, it can be calibrated to correct. You would send the lens and the body to the lens manufacturer (not sure if local shops can do it)

If not, then no, you just have shitty third party lenses on a body known for crappy autofocus.
>>
>>2842855
You left out mechanical with working meter :^)
>>
>>2842918
Using a canon 24-105 f4L with continuous lighting. I'll fuck around more tonight to see if it sharpens up a bit stopped down. I only shot at f4 but I was getting better results manually focusing even through to viewfinder with how small that display is.
>>
>>2842917
Yes. I own two. I also understand that it's merely a matter of surface area. A full frame DSLR has a full frame sized mirror bouncing light up into the viewfinder. An APS-C DSLR has a mirror with about half the surface area, which means it will be about half the size, and half as bright.
>>
>>2842923
How bright is your continuous lighting? Is the mis-focus consistent?
>>
>>2842742
help
>>
File: image.jpg (986 KB, 1920x1280) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
986 KB, 1920x1280
>>2842932
Two 80w 5500 degree CFLs, one shoot through and one reflective umbrella within three feet of the face. This shot was before I brought the lights in closer.

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS REBEL T5i
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 6.5.1 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/4.0
Horizontal Resolution70 dpi
Vertical Resolution70 dpi
Image Created2016:05:18 21:50:55
Exposure Time1/25 sec
F-Numberf/4.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating200
Lens Aperturef/4.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePartial
Focal Length105.00 mm
Image Width1920
Image Height1280
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
>>
>>2842956
Actually that could be shutter speed nvm let me keep looking.
>>
>>2842956
>1/25 second
>168mm equivalent

You sure it's missed focus, and not motion blur?
>>
>>2842944
Sony NEX 5N with the EVF addon.
>>
I'm planning to come into about $2.7k that I intend on buying equipment with and I had a couple questions about what I would get more of my money's worth out of. What would be a better investment:

>A high tier MacBook Pro and Adobe/final cut software (all the editing computers at my school are macs)

>Studio equipment (full frame dslr, lenses, lighting, stands, reflectors, audio equipment, possibly a shoulder rig or a dolly) (most of which I can check out, but a lot of the equipment is worn down and frequently checked out, the only dslrs they have are 60Ds and a few C100s, the latter of which they're really touchy about)

I can use most of these things out of the equipment labs at school, but I'm wondering if it would be a better investment to have it all on my own?
>>
>>2842984
Option C) Models, plane tickets, access to great locations with the gear you have.
>>
>>2842929
>>2842881
It's not worth it to go back 10 years just to get full frame under $300.
>>
>>2842988
C
>>
>>2842990
No, it isn't, but that doesn't change the fact that it isn't a bright big viewfinder.
>>
>>2842961
what about Olympus e-pl2, because i can get it cheaper and in better condition?
>>
>>2842996
>m4/3 with 2x crop factor
>needing a 24mm for a standard prime
>no real wide option
I suggest you go with APS-C. Much less crop factor for the older lens. A Takumar 28mm will be pretty much an everyday lens for the NEX 5N.
>>
I've been responsible all my life. Bought a house young. Married a qtpi, good credit stayed away from bad debt, the whole lot. Now I want nothing more than to splurge on like a 1dx mark ii or something and just walk around fully erect all day every day.
>>
>>2842998
A camera is not a fashion accessory, mate. You are disgusting.
>>
>>2843003
Just the thought puts me at half mast.
>>
>>2843001
there is nex5a for 138$ but i cant really afford it
olympus is 90$, is there any alternative to those two maybe?
>>
>>2843009
Yes, your phone.
>>
>>2843010
so there is no option for decent mirrorless under 100$ sadly?
>>
>>2843015
>
there is also option for samsung nx100 for about 60$, its aps-c
>>
>>2841953

I received an A7II as a graduation present.

I intend to use it with some old Minolta A-Mount (autofocus adapter) and MD-Mount lenses I have, and maybe some of my father's old Nikon lenses. I have one native E-Mount lens, the SEL35f28z

I I am just not sure about a flash. Someone recomended a ring flash, but I had thought those were mainly for portraits? I am not sure I even need one to be honest.

Also, I have never really owned a camera this serious before and would like to know how to use it better. Is there certain books/articles I should read? I understand the theories behind how things like ISO and shutter speed work, just don't have much real world experience with it.

I have recently moved to one of the most beautiful cities on earth, so I really want to learn how to take good pictures of this place.
>>
>>2843020
> I am just not sure about a flash.
Well, buy one once you need it. No, you don't need a ring flash unless you need a ring flash.

> I have recently moved to one of the most beautiful cities on earth, so I really want to learn how to take good pictures of this place.
Well, you basically have all you need to get started with doing that. Well, maybe some editing software on your computer. Camera One or Lightroom or something.
>>
>>2843020
>I have recently moved to one of the most beautiful cities on earth, so I really want to learn how to take good pictures of this place.
why? I bet there are already loads of beautiful pictures of that city.
>>
>>2843033
>I bet there are already loads of beautiful pictures of that city.

So if someone else has already taken a picture of something, there is no need for anyone else to do so?
>>
>>2843033
Very very few people take photos to be the first one to have done so. Many more of us take photos because we enjoy taking photos.
>>
>>2843032
>Well, buy one once you need it. No, you don't need a ring flash unless you need a ring flash.

Yea, I didn't see myself needing one, but others were insistent.

>Well, maybe some editing software on your computer. Camera One or Lightroom or something.

I have heard very good things about lightroom, but I don't have a clue how to use it. I plan on picking it up with my next paycheck.

If I want to edit photos heavily, it is best to shoot in raw, right?
>>
File: koteg1.jpg (1002 KB, 1000x1499) Image search: [Google]
koteg1.jpg
1002 KB, 1000x1499
>>2843016
bump sempai

Equipment MakeSONY
Camera ModelILCE-6000
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CC 2015 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/3.5
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)24 mm
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2016:01:18 23:16:16
Exposure Time1/15 sec
F-Numberf/3.5
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating250
Lens Aperturef/3.5
Brightness-2.2 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashFlash, Compulsory, Return Not Detected
Focal Length16.00 mm
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width1000
Image Height1499
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
>>2843020
Ring flashes are extremely specialized tools, and there's very little chance that you'll need one. They're used for a very specific kind of fashion portrait lighting, and actually can do more harm than good when used on anybody other than a model with professional makeup. They're also used for certain kinds of macro work where they're the only way to get light onto your subject without the lens blocking it.

If you need a flash, just get a regular speedlight.
>>
>>2843042
Yobaetoti?
>>
>>2843053
o shit waddup
>>
>>2843053
what?
>>
>>2842830
>wut
They'll catch fire. Seriously. Try it out for a while and use them in an older flash.
>>
>>2843088
Just like the wood on the poles holding up power lines catches fire.

Just like the plastic on electrical outlets melts and burns when you turn stuff on

Right?
>>
>>2843097
Flash draws stupidly high current for a very small time. If there is a flammable substance on the contacts it can catch fire.
>>
>>2843098
It's cool, I don't understand how capacitors work either.
>>
i am contemplating buying a used panasonic g7. My question is: what (autofocus) lenses should i search for?

thanks
>>
>>2843102
For what.
>>
>>2843102
Look for micro fourthird system lenses. Preferably Panasonic.
>>
>fucked up and put fingerprints on (thankfully) the polarizer in front of my telephoto

>Not sure how to clean it or if need just a new filter(???)

>No incredibly obvious IQ reduction

What do I do?

Microfiber cloth and glass cleaner like for glasses ok?
>>
>>2843103
>>2843105

4k? also any lenses in particular?

Thanks
>>
>>2843106
Get a pack a glasses cleaning wet wipes, it has non scratching kodak paper wetted with isopropyl and other stuff.
>>
>>2843109
Like what subjects. What usage. What field of view do you like. What are your purposed purposes.

You say 4K, implying video, in which case, you don't want autofocus, you want manual lenses, probably primes, with clickless apertures and smooth focus rings.
>>
>>2843109
It depends entirely on what speed you need and focal lengths you require. You need to give us more information for recommendations.
>>
>>2843111
Thanks I'll get those when I get home.

Amazon have them ?
>>
>>2843118
I usually buy it at Aldi and Lidl. Generally your local drug store has to carry those.
>>
>>2843122
Thanks

Thank God for filters
>>
>>2843113
>>2843115

you are correct in your notes. i am interested in 4k and i would like to know if panasonic has good quality autofocus lenses and the median prices of those lenses in order to compare the prices with manual lenses.

thanks
>>
>>2843123
A fingerprint is nothing, man.
>>
>>2843125
What focal lengths.
What aperture ranges

Or do you just want a list of every M4/3 lens that exists, but can't be bothered to google it?
>>
>>2843128
I know but when lenses are way more expensive than bodies and CAN last for decade(s) it's hard to not play it safe and throw a filter on
>>
>>2843132
Sure, that's fine, but understand what you're dealing with, your front element is super durable, and a fingerprint (or you cleaning it off with your shirt) isn't going to do any damage to it at all.
>>
>>2843130
as sharp a lens as it gets i guess? also one wide one macro

thanks
>>
>>2843139
>M4/3
>wide
No such thing famillama
>>
>>2843139
So you're saying you don't care if it's a 12mm lens or a 150mm lens. You dont care if it maxes out at f/5.6. All you care about is that it's sharp?

Wow. Okay. Then just Google "sharpest M4/3 lenses" and buy from there I guess.
>>
Is the Leica M8 still worth buying? How would it compare day to day with my X100T?

Are Leicas RAW only?
>>
>>2843154
>digital Leica
Have fun with that rebadged Panasonic.
>>
>>2843160
Which Panasonic was rebadged to make the M8?
>>
File: canon-powershot-g7-x01.jpg (38 KB, 770x433) Image search: [Google]
canon-powershot-g7-x01.jpg
38 KB, 770x433
What do people here think about high end compacts? I don't do anything professionally, but would I get better results from a typical DSLR for the same price?

e.g. a PowerShot G7 X
>>
>>2843200
>but would I get better results from a typical DSLR for the same price
In low light, with a good prime lens, yes. In normal to bright light, no, not really.
>>
>>2843200
High end compacts are the GOAT category of camera, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
>>
>>2843160
I love those Panasonic's but an M8 is not a rebadged Panasonic.

That said the M8 is crop so why anyone would spend Leica money and buy Leica glass for crop o is beyond me.
>>
>>2843200
They are good but most dSLRs can give you better quality for the same price. But compacts are easier to haul around.
>>
File: IMG_20160519_114918891-01.jpg (776 KB, 1000x880) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160519_114918891-01.jpg
776 KB, 1000x880
Any recommendations for a new shoulder bag to fit pic related? One that doesn't look like garbage, but less than the cost of an ONA?

Equipment MakeMotorola
Camera ModelXT1030
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS6 (Macintosh)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.3
Image Width2761
Image Height2430
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Pixel CompositionRGB
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2016:05:19 12:03:47
Exposure Time2603/50000 sec
F-Numberf/2.4
Exposure ProgramNormal Program
ISO Speed Rating1600
Lens Aperturef/2.3
BrightnessUnknown
Exposure Bias0 EV
Subject Distance1.97 m
Metering ModeAverage
Light SourceD65
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length4.50 mm
Image Width1000
Image Height880
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessSoft
>>
>>2843233
NatGeo Walkabout or Earth Explorer
>>
File: 1462300640869.png (440 KB, 472x688) Image search: [Google]
1462300640869.png
440 KB, 472x688
>buy nikon 10-24 from KEH in LN- condition
>it doesn't even have the faintest of blemishes on the entire body, not even a speck of dust on the glass
>actions are smooth, no fungus to be seen
>there's not even any dust on it or greasy fingerprints
>hood and bag look like they've never even been touched

I don't even think this lens was ever used, someone just put it on a camera one single time, pulled it off again, and sold it.

Damn, I'm so happy I did this over buying new, what a great way to save >$300.

>mfw 30% savings
>>
>>2843245
It's a b0ss feeling b0ss. I felt the same when I bought my 16-45 from b-stock
>>
>>2843233
I'd suggest you jam it tight up your arse sideways.

Or search for a bad that you think suits you. Otherwise buy a Tenba. Buy a Tenba because I told you to. Thanks.
>>
>>2842855
>Konica > Olympus > Rollei > Ricoh > Fuji > Nikon > Pentacks > Leica > Canon

Woah there buckaroo
>>
>>2843106

Fingerprints have no effect on image quality.

>http://kurtmunger.com/dirty_lens_articleid35.html
>>
>>2843200

Why not get a MICL for the best of both?
>>
>>2843249
I'm just talking about P&S models.
Hexar AF uber alles, also Big Mini.
Olympus, just because so many mu's or mu-alikes or XA's
Rollei because the only compacts are good ones (discounting ones that came after the decline)
Ricoh because based GR and R1, even tho rest are trash.
Fuji because fujinons
Leica low because they're rebranded plasti-trash
Canon because fuck me they never really made a decent p&s.
>>
Do you guys carry around a DSLR on your everyday journey or no?
I like taking my Nikon F2 out (i don't have a proper DSLR i like) but the damn thing is like a brick
>>
>>2843300
Also how's the Panasonic GH2 for filmmaking nowdays?
They are cheap af used and i think i can't get anything better for less
>>
Are micro four third cameras any good? I am a Media Student and got one for stills and filming. Didn't know peoples opinons?
>>
Hey /p/,first time in here

I serve in a commando unit in my country's army,currently in training.
My sergeant recently allowed me to bring a camera to some of the acts we do.
Now the problem is I don't own any camera I can actually bring to such trainings.
I need your help to find a cheap (I make 200$ a month ;_;),small camera and a small bag for it,padded well so it won't break.
Also I really don't want a gopro unless its really the only suitable camera for my demands
Thanks in advance /p/
>>
>>2843314
You already have it.
Take pictures now.

M4/3 has serious limitations in many aspects: signal noise, total light hitting sensor, wide angle, and max resolution.

For now it will be excellent, especially for video. I think it may hit a roadblock later in the future. I have shot with GH3 extensively and it is pretty darn good.
>>
>>2843319
I'm assuming you need a camera that does video? No need for stills?
What sort of light will you be recording/shooting in?
>>
>>2843322
Video will be great but not a necessity
As for lighting,we spend most time in open fields and the camera will probably be used mostly at night time.
I hope that answers your question
>>
>>2842700
Alright my budget is 2000-3000 what would you suggest?
>>
>>2843319
why are you still there?
the cheapest would be a used eos m.
a used sony nex.
>>
>>2843016
>>2842744

Aren't the Samsung things a unique mount?

Is there anything good available for it like there is for m4/3 and E?
>>
>>2843364
I'll check these out,thanks.
And I'm still there because its a mandatory service
>>
>>2843147
yes sharpness is my primary concern. Also i am not sure if i have ever seen a lens that maxes out at f/5.6

thanks
>>
>>2843048
>If you need a flash, just get a regular speedlight.

My old man has an ancient Nikon flash for his SLR.

Are they compatible? I am pretty sure it is a standard hotshoe (though the camera body would need an adapter).
>>
>>2842797
Anything Contax, Yashica T4, Rollei 35 series (preferably the 35s), Minolta TC-1, Konica recorder, and the Olympus XA/XA2 are what come to mind at the moment.
>>
File: Bela Borsodi single Photograph1.jpg (244 KB, 1920x1920) Image search: [Google]
Bela Borsodi single Photograph1.jpg
244 KB, 1920x1920
>>2841953
I have Nikon D810 and a few lenses. Got it as a present from my sister.

I'm thinking to invest in some Nikon lenses but with a recent rise of mirrorless I'm reconsidering my decision.

My question - Is it wise to invest in DSLR lenses now or should I just sell my Nikon?
>>
>>2842566
Because the A-1 or F-1 are superior FD mount cameras. The AE-1 is the Babby's First Rabal of the film world.
>>
What's a good price for a used Nikon D90 with kit lens? I sold mine for $300.
>>
Konica Auto S2 or Ricoh 500RF as babby's first rangefinder? Though I can get both for $70?
My SLR is Pentax MX.
>>
>>2843584
Why not a Canonet? Those can still be found for sub-$100, right?
>>
What's the best 200mm manual focus FF lens for a MFT system under 200 bucks that isn't a Canon or a Nikon?
>>
File: 1.jpg (30 KB, 600x322) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
30 KB, 600x322
>>2843591
Zuiko 200mm f/4
>>
>>2843594
I had been eyeing that one for a while. There's nothing sharper or faster for the same price? I guess I have to get that then. Already have the adapters for the system.
>>
>>2843602
Try Canon FD 200 or 300
>>
>>2843585
I would love a Canonet but it has a hipster tax here and cost around $100.

I could get the Konica Auto S2 for $40. I've read reviews and the Canonet is almost the same as the Konica.
>>
>>2843565
If you're asking this question seriously, I'll answer. But I'm about 87% sure that this is a troll post designed to stir up shit.

So, anon, are you actually asking?
>>
Is the 5d mk2 still relevant in 2016 for what it goes for used or would it be better at this point to get the mark 3 as someone who is upgrading to full frame and is not a professional photographer but is beginning to be offered money for portraiture and event photography by various people in my circle of aquaintences. I want to move on the direction of earning enough on the side to get back some of my investment.
>>
>>2843718
We can't decide your personal sense of value. However, it costs what people are willing to pay for it, so the community as a whole has decided what it's worth in 2016.
>>
>>2843718
I still see professionals using 5D IIs, sometimes as B cameras but it is still quite capable. You can always pick one up now and you have a back up camera in a year or two when you can afford something newer.
>>
/p/ what are some lenses I should work towards getting for my new Pentax K-50 camera?
In particular, I'm looking for a good wide lens for taking landscape pictures, and a lens that would be decent for taking pictures inside of abandoned buildings and what not.

Hoping I can get some suggestions for each lens near the £150-250 range, but I'd be willing to throw in a bit more if something is highly recommended.
>>
>>2843722
Samyang 10 or 14mm.
>>
>>2843534
It depends how ancient. Some old flashes can actually fry your camera body, or so it's claimed at least. Even without that issue, you'll almost certainly be stuck with only full manual flash, and that's a pain in the ass IMO.
>>
Im looking to purchase a DSLR with good video for amateur filmmaking, but at the same time would like to have that ability to develop my photography and work on that aswell.
Any recommendations?
>>
>>2843747
Budget? Usage? Location? Experience? Subjects? Level of seriousness?

You realize if the answer WAS simple enough for "What camera should I get for filmmaking" it would be very google-able right?
>>
>>2843750
No more than 2 grand, Location would be South Florida, i used to shoot video back when i was in my old high school with a camera my buddy used to own, think it was a Canon 6d, and i recently started thinking about trying to get into photography again, Subjects are varied, probably work around landscape and nature type film making and just build around that, and this is overall more than likely for the purpose of a hobby, just to learn and build myself with film making since i personally enjoy filmmaking.
>>
>>2843754
Panasonig GH3 or GH4 will give you very high quality video, and with the small sensor sizes, the crop factor can help you with longer reach for footage of skittish animals or birds. Low light image quality suffers however.

The a6000 has a larger sensor which is better in low light, and is very nice video, but the native lens selection is either not great or expensive. Other lenses can be adapted easily, but many don't give you autofocus, or have poor autofocus functionality.

Something like a Canon 70D will get you pretty good video (worse than Panasonic or Sony, but not bad) access to lots of great lenses (including long telephoto that may be beneficial to you with wildlife and nature stuff)

If video is your primary goal, it's probably best to avoid Nikon and Pentax, as their footage isn't as high in quality as the others mentioned.

More important than camera body are your lenses, your stabilization equipment (shoulder mount, tripod with video head, etc) audio recording quality, processing capabilities and talent, and your ability to find or create nice light.

Don't be afraid to buy used.
>>
Ok one for you guys :
- Compact (would fit in any average pocket)
- Low light able (ISO3200 without too much loss at least)
- Range 16 < x > 55
- 16 Megabretzels at least
- Good overall camera

Which one ?
>>
>>2843774
MEME GR
E
M
E

G
R
>>
>>2843774
S110
>>
I'm an idiot which is getting a new beginner DSLR/Mirrorless
Which I should choose from this list? I can't get ANYTHING else that's not on the list

DLSR (Imo I prefer DSLRs because of the viewfinder):
Canon EOS 100D
PENTAX K-50
Nikon D5200
Canon EOS 1200D
Nikon D3300

Mirrorless:
Canon EOS M10
Sony Alpha 5000
PENTAX RICOH Q-S1
Panasonic LUMIX DMC-GF7
Olympus PEN E-PL6
Panasonic LUMIX DMC-GF6
Nikon 1 V2
Fujifilm X-M1
Olympus PEN E-PL7

Why I can get only these cameras? Hire purchase and everything else is above my budget.
>>
>>2843780
Also I will be shooting pictures mostly during the night and I have experience shooting with Nikon D3300 with the AF-P DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR lens
>>
>>2843780
for what.
>>
>>2843780
>Hire purchase
Fuck that shit buy something used instead

>>2843781
When you say at night do you mean in clubs and shit with your friends or landscape/stalker stuff?
>>
>>2843784
landscape/stalker stuff
>>
A Yashica Mat (the first OG one) in great condition for 75 euros... should I do it? It will be my first medium format cam.
>>
>>2843722
HD DA 16-85mm or the DA 12-24 F4
Also worthy as a budget choice, the DA 16-45 F4. I have one and it is very sharp, only downside is the barrel extends towards the wide end, so it casts a shadow from flash. But it's an excellent budget choice for landscapes.
>>
>>2843633
Yeah the S2 is a good camera from what I've heard. Also, if you're willing to save up a bit and do without the automation, look at the Canon 7 if you haven't already.
>>
As a first time camera buyer I'm in dilemma should I get DSLR or mirrorless. Main usage of the camera would be taking pictures of landscape, stone outcrops(study related) and my friends with who I am hiking with. I would also want to get into photography as a hobby. So I'm in dilemma should I get something obvious like pentax k50 or something smaller(which is more appealing to me since I usually take some semi-extreme hikes in which something big around my neck like k50 would be in constant danger of damage + can't fit into a smaller bag or bigger pocket). So is Pentax k50 so much better than something like olympus e-m10 mark II or sony a6000 that I should buy it even if I would prefer those mirrorless cameras because of their size and looks, also I have limited budget around 500€.
>>
>>2843875
If you are going to use your camera primarily for hikes and rough terrain, a rugged design is a must. The K-50 is a good choice, I would rather go for a K-5II with the magnesium alloy body for added ruggedness.
For lenses the kit lens 18-55 WR is good, but I would also get a DA 35/2.4 prime.
The Kit lens on the wide end will be good for your landscape shots, the 35mm prime is good for panoramas.
Also get a tripod like the Dic&Mic E302C or something similar in ruggedness and a Cokin P filter kit with ND and graduated filters.
>>
>>2843879
thank you for useful info
>>
>>2843875
>>2843879
If you're going for a cheap, mid-size, rugged DSLR, try looking at a used D7000 and an 18-55.
Also, I don't find an expensive tripod very essential early on if you're trying to save money. Maybe get a $20 tripod and save up for a lens.

If you're going for mirrorless, I have no idea what to recommend.
>>
>>2843875
Most Pentaxes and many of the Olympus and a couple 43rd Panny's have weather sealing. 43 vs APS-C quality is fairly close.

But if you are hiking, weight is extra important so I'd probably go with m43rds if you plan on bringing more than a couple lenses. It adds up. Too bad the Sony's aren't weather sealed otherwise they would be the best.

I think the Olympus image stabilization is the best so you might be able to get by with a superlight or no tripod. m43 isn't as high resolution so that's something to consider and personally I hate stitching.

Lots of good choices but hard to say which is best. I used to use a very light APS-C dSLR and a plastic bag for the rain and it worked out for me.
>>
>>2843951
It's not about the rain, it is about the rocky hard terrain. Have you ever take a trip at such places? It's fucking difficult to keep yourself upright and not spraining your ankles. You need a rugged set even in a padded bag to not break from all the banging and eventually falling.
>>
>>2843959
Yes, I've hiked for days in rocky wet terrain. Banged my plastic camera a couple times and luckily it kept on going. Had a two pound L-zoom that got banged and dented to the point where the focusing got super stiff and it was basically broken.

Had an EOS-1n that I dropped countless times on hard surfaces and it just kept going but the weight gets annoying.

But it's water that's been the biggest danger for me, crossing rivers and hoping that a double ziplock will be enough if the camera gets dunked.

Just my own experiences dude, no need to be a dick.
>>
I'm trying to decide between the Oly om-d em10 and A Fuji xpro1. Any help?
>>
>>2843964
Fuji
>>
>>2843964
Oly
>>
>>2843964
Sony
>>
Got the Mamiya RZ67 today in excellent condition. CLONK
>>
>>2844013
>falling for Sugar's shilling.
>>
File: 15258248576_148f5ea6d7_b.jpg (455 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
15258248576_148f5ea6d7_b.jpg
455 KB, 1024x1024
>>2844013
>Not a Fuji GX680
The RB is still a nice camera though.
>>
>>2844017
what? what/who is Sugar? I went through all the used medium format stuff they had in the store and got this recommended.
>>
>>2844025
>i was this innocent once
>>
>>2844025
It was dumped there for a good reason.
>>
>>2844033
Okay, I just went through the threads to find out about this sugar thing, turns out it's a worthless tripfag attention whore no one ever cared about and no one ever will care about. On his deathbed he will think about how he once had the attention of /p/ when somebody mentioned his name in the gear thread. Pathetic, disgusting.
>>
>>2844034
Developed my first roll today and everything is fine with it. Shutter is absolutely excellent, 110mm lens in top notch condition.
>>
>>2844013
The RZ67 is fine, don't listen to the hardcore gearfags who use this thread to shill.

As long as you go out and take photos with it, that's what matters.
>>
>>2844078
It's funny I got nine out of ten keepers today. It's not that they're all excellent photos in every regard, it's mostly how much fun I had setting up, composing, measuring light, considering, reconsidering and then finally pressing the shutter button. It's slowing you down considerably and that's a good thing if you're doing photography for leisure.
>>
Hey guys, whats the best compact for travel? My budget is around $1000 AUD.
>>
>>2844271
I would say get a RX100 III.
>>
>>2844273
Yeah thought so, thanks senpai, I'll buy it now
>>
>>2843951
>Too bad the Sony's aren't weather sealed otherwise they would be the best.

Sony of the A7 series is moisture/dust resistant.

No IP ratings though, and I haven't seen any testing, so who knows how true it is.
>>
>>2844300
Sony confirmed that they're good for about 50% humidity, tops. Forget anything with actual rain.
>>
>>2844300
Kai poured some water on one when it first came out and when Sony was still touting them as weather sealed.
When they say "Moisture and dust resistant" they mean everyday moisture and dust which most consumer cameras (Except the GR, lel) are designed to prevent. Not the salt flats, and not in a rainstorm.
>>
anyone here own a Nikon D810?

What glass do you own? What would you recommend? I shoot anything and everything.
>>
>>2843780
Since you wrote Pentax with allcaps, I think you already know what you want.
The K-50 is a very capable camera for starting out and some.
>>
>>2844082
When I get new gear and just run around the backyard/block I always have a lot higher keeper rate then later on.
I wonder why.
>>
>>2844300
No gaskets so it's on a lower level of weather sealing than the cameras that have them like the Olympus EM-5, Canon 1 series, a lot of the Pentaxes etc.

>>2844307
Even weather sealed SLRs get dust on the sensor because of lens changes and air pressure changes from zooming/focusing (same reason why the GR gets dust). Except the GR is a bitch to clean.

I would have much less confidence in an A7 versus a gasketed Pentax WR lens.
>>
>>2844328
point and shoots like the GR and x100 were never meant to be disassembled for sensor cleanings in the first place.

being a fixed camera lens and all I imagine the spotty sensor as a thing companies expected their consumers to just live with
>>
>>2844332
small sensor point and shoots don't seem to have the same complaints but maybe once the sensor is a certain size dust becomes a bigger problem.

You'd think Ricoh would have addressed the GR dust issue in the GR II somehow since dust cleaning was covered under warranty and that must have cost them a lot of repair time, money, and sales.
>>
>>2844334
>maybe once the sensor is a certain size dust becomes a bigger problem.

Dust on a smaller sensor should be a bigger issue than on a larger one.
It's also a bigger issue when you have a slow lens.

And I've seen some horrible dust on P&S cameras.
I think most P&S shooters just don't care or buy a new P&S before it got too bad.

It might also be that the GR has a thinner sensor stack than most P&S cameras, making dust more visible. - but I have no info on that.
>>
>>2844345
I was thinking along the lines of maybe a bigger sensor attracts dust more strongly but I guess if small P&S have dust problems prob not. From what I understand the GR sensor isn't as well sealed as others.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3200x2368) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3200x2368
>>2844351
>From what I understand the GR sensor isn't as well sealed as others.

from the looks of it the only thing environmentally sealing the sensor unit is an ill-fitting rubber ring. is this still an issue in the GR II?

http://jamiecollinson.com/blog/disassembling-ricoh-gr-for-sensor-cleaning
>>
>>2844356
As >>2844328 explained all lenses pump air (and thus dust) around when they focus, zoom or collapse.

You cannot seal the sensor off.
>>
File: image.jpg (339 KB, 1620x1080) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
339 KB, 1620x1080
Alright let's try this out.
I've been a photography admirer for as long as I can remember, I got into actually taking pictures just last yea (junior year) and since then have bought my own dslr (Nikon d5300) and a 50mm lens for it (have kit lens) I have been able to take some decent photos, in my opinion, but want to learn more techniques and just become a better photographer and hopefully be able to make a career out of it.
Also I really want to get into street photography but feel weird aiming my lens at a random stranger.

Any tips?

>pic related (I took it)

Image Width1620
Image Height1080
>>
File: image.jpg (463 KB, 1620x1080) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
463 KB, 1620x1080
>>2844368
More

Image Width1620
Image Height1080
>>
File: image.jpg (432 KB, 1620x1080) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
432 KB, 1620x1080
>>2844368
>>2844370
And more...
Opinions?

Image Width1620
Image Height1080
>>
>>2844324
I never experienced this before so I can't help you with that. Every new
piece of gear before was like adding to my options while this might be changing the way I think about photography.
>>
File: untitled (2 of 4).jpg (2 MB, 2592x3888) Image search: [Google]
untitled (2 of 4).jpg
2 MB, 2592x3888
I currently own a Canon EOS 1D Mk iii,

I enjoy using 50mm lenses, looking at picking up a Sigma 50mm f/1.4 (got offered one for much less than retail in perfect condition), or canon even.

I'd also like to get a 35mm Lens too but far too expensive for me at the moment.

Anyone make some recommendations? I'm doing Portrait photography or looking to get into it really...

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS-1D Mark III
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 6.1 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.8
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2016:04:11 17:30:23
Exposure Time1/2000 sec
F-Numberf/3.2
ISO Speed Rating1600
Lens Aperturef/3.2
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length50.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceManual
>>
Someone please convince me not to drop £2k on a Leica M9. How will it compare to my X100S day to day?
>>
>>2844452
which lens do you intend to use with a leica>?
>>
>>2844455
35mm summicron. Something cheaper (sub£600).
>>
>>2844452
Just get a sony
>>
>>2844452
Honestly, unless you want a fashion accessory more than a camera, get a Sony.
>>
>>2844431
Your girlfriend looks beautiful.
>>
>>2844431
i have the new canon 35mm and I really like it, if you have full frame and the funds, get the sigma art 35mm f1.4
>>
>>2844452
Lenses will rape you unless you plan to only shoot with a 35mm or Voigtlanders, which means all the Leica pros will turn their noses at you and I'm pretty sure you only want an M9 to be part of that sekrit klub.
>>
>>2844322
http://dslrbodies.com/lenses/lens-databases-for-nikon/thoms-recommended-lenses-2.html
>>
we're all made of stardust lads
>>
>>2844370
Not a bad shot, but go easy on the Dutch Angle.
>the Dutch angle is one of many cinematic techniques often used to portray psychological uneasiness or tension in the subject being filmed.
>>
Hi /gear/, a guy is getting his first camera, it's going to be a DSLR because of reasons and fears getting scammed so second-hand is a no-no. He decided to buy the cheapest DSLR available and learn with it until finds himself limited by his gear (if that ever happens).

Pentax K S1 for 229 or Nikkon D3300 for 270?

Or other?

Thanks for your thoughts on the matter guys!
>>
The Pentax SMCP-DA 300mm f/4 ED (IF) SDM Lens, has anybody here used it? The reviews on Pentax Forums seem very positive, I want to use it with the 1.4x teleconverter, this is a lot of money to drop on a lens, so I would appreciate any comments
>>
>>2844536
I would say you should look at the Pentax K50 that has weather sealing or you can get the K500 that is the same camera without weather sealing but it is much cheaper, I've only ever used Pentax and I love them, the only thing I would say that is bad, they are not really good at video and they don't have that many lenses available, on the other hand they have the K-Mount, that they have been using for years, so you can fit lenses from the 70s on your camera without any adapters, and you can get some real good lenses for really cheap like the SMC PENTAX M 1:1.7
>>
>>2844539
I have the 1.4X TC but I only have a 70-200/2.8
Been lusting over that piece of glass for a year now...
I've seen crystal clear images from FA and even F 300 lenses, the DA has better contrast, better CA control and has AW sealing.
I am jelly, get that lens, don't settle for any less.
>>
Have any of you guys used FlashQ triggers?
Will be using them with an X100s and XT1 just wanted to know what you guys thought
>>
>>2844543
Why not buy a big boy camera instead? like the Sony A7RII or an A6300.
>>
>>2844542
I have the Sigma 50-500mm at the moment and I have taken a lot of pictures with it, but it just is not good enough any more, you have to step it down to at least f9 to get any sharpness out of it
>>
File: 1463556700925.jpg (205 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
1463556700925.jpg
205 KB, 1280x960
>>2844545
I would not trust Sony's repair team with my work horse.
Sony is fine if you're a hobbyist or want to / are able to piss away loads of money and also don't shoot demanding stuff. But if my camera breaks down my income stops so no fucking way. Also no 16-35 2.8.

And as for their APSC I like the Fuji lens line up and body design way more. The 16mm 1.4 and the 56mm 1.2 are fucking god lenses.
>>
>>2844546
Aww shit, that was my next one. The Tamron 70-200 is nice, very good sharpness at f/4 but not long enough in some cases.
Been looking for a 150-500 but all I see on ebay is the 50-500.
And now you say it's shit. Does it have dust issues or was it like this from the beginning?
>>
>>2844551
>that 7D
I genuinely cringed. Put it down nicely right this instant!
>>
>>2844555
Pardon? Its a great camera paired with the 70-200 for sports and wild life.
You don't think specs make the image do you?
>>
File: IMGP28352 (Medium).jpg (174 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
IMGP28352 (Medium).jpg
174 KB, 1024x768
>>2844552
It was like that from the beginning, but I have the older one, the f4-6.3, my dad has the 150-500mm it is much lighter, but also not as sharp as the 50-500mm, here is a shot with my 50-500mm

Equipment MakePENTAX
Camera ModelPENTAX K-30
Camera SoftwareRawTherapee
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)750 mm
Image Width3483
Image Height2612
Compression SchemeUncompressed
Pixel CompositionRGB
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Data ArrangementChunky Format
Image Created2012:02:27 02:13:46
Exposure Time1/640 sec
F-Numberf/9.0
ISO Speed Rating800
Exposure Bias0.7 EV
Metering ModeCenter Weighted Average
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length500.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeDistant View
>>
>>2844556
I think he's referring to the fact that it's balanced on top of another camera in a precarious-looking way
>>
>>2844560
Oh its just a small shelve most of the time they are packed away
>>
>>2844545
Sony shills are the worst baka

>>2844543
Haven't used flashQ triggers but looking to buy one. Too bad the companion flash is a long way off from being produced. Do you have a compact flash that you want to use it with? It would be amazing to have a remote lighting setup that was ultra portable.

>>2844556
>You don't think specs make the image do you?

They play a part
>>
File: 7227495292_c13c0ee9e8_z.jpg (112 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
7227495292_c13c0ee9e8_z.jpg
112 KB, 640x480
>>2844573
I'm inter-railing next month for 31 days around the EU with this set up using the FlashQ kit.

XT1: 12MM F2 - 18-135MM F3.5-5.6 + 3 Extra batteries
X100S + 3 Extra batteries + ND filter
YiCam
32GB SD each + 1 extra each = 4k shots + 2 smaller cards (16GB).
FlashQ + canon 580ex ii x2 + Gels + AA x16
Tripod (three legged thing brian) + Gorilla-pod
Foldable Reflector (cheap rogue bender) x 2
Duct tape

But I also have the Fuji EF-X20 flash but I'm looking to overpower the sun and that can't do that.

I'm sure im forgetting some stuff I'm not done writing up my inventory for the trip
>>
>>2844573
Jokes on you, I was merely pretending desu
>>
>>2844541
I can't find any k 500 being cheaper than the k 50, what I'm doing wrong
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 33

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.