[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /p/, a few months ago I had the opportunity to go on the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: 20415462404_97c81f8d2e_b.jpg (72 KB, 1024x683) Image search: [Google]
20415462404_97c81f8d2e_b.jpg
72 KB, 1024x683
Hey /p/, a few months ago I had the opportunity to go on the sidelines of a New York Red Bulls game and take some pictures. I consider myself a decent enough photographer, but that night I realized sports photography is a whole different ball game to photographing static objects. A good 95% of my pics were out of focus (like the one in this post). This Sunday, I have the chance to go on the sidelines again. But this time, I want to walk out with better content, pictures that are actually in focus. So, do you guys have any tips that could help me?

Equipment I used last time was a T2i with 75-300mm, this time I'll be bringing a 60D with a 70-210mm (but I'll also have the 75-300 in my bag in case the 70-210 isn't long enough).
>>
Sounds to me that technique is the problem not lens choice.

Look up marksman vids on jewtube: ie. breathing, stance etc.

A new lens isn't a magick bullet.
>>
>>2711364
Yeah, I know. I think it may have had something to do with my autofocus settings, but I'll definitely do some research before I pin it down on my hardware and not my skill.
>>
>>2711366
Try back button focus (with af).

It's a pain to begin with but can be a good tool.
>>
>>2711367
p.s. a while ago I took some photos at a bbq. I didn't notice that there was a twig in the way.

All the photos were focused on the twig. Stupid AF.
>>
>>2711367
I've been reading and it says that AI Servo is the best setting, is that what I should be using?
>>
>>2711372
The one that works
>>
>>2711374
Sorry, I meant auto anything is stoopid.

Do what you manual says then have a plan b.
>>
Try the back button focus... Continuous shutter... Up the ISO? Use a fixed focal point.
>>
>>2711387
>Use a fixed focal point.
No, let the af do it's thing and overide when need be. Just be aware of zone focusing and the moment.

Writting this makes it sound more complicated than it is.

Practice with your cat.
>>
>>2711392
>subject tracking
>canon

OP, as most sports photographers have learned, it's an equal combination of gear and technique. your AF module needs to send decisive commands to your lens, and your lens needs to keep up. most of all, you need to work within the limitations of your tools. prefocus is king, manual AF override may be necessary, and keeping your best AF sensor (since you dont have the luxury of 65 cross type points) stuck to your subject are all things you need to get used to. don't be afraid to use off center AF points, because composition depends on them. read up on some sports photography specific tips, like when to take photos mid-stride.

look at gear rentals; a night or weekend with a 70-200/2.8 IS II will only cost you on the order of $50 or so. that will give you speed, flexibility, and a sore arm and shoulder. body rentals are not really worth the money. keep a kit lens on your t2i for wide angle shots. second body a good. be prepared to run around, but I guess you know that already.

learn from what you missed. dont forget to take pictures of the team benches or crowd when penalties or goals are being scored. bump that iso. a smudgy picture is better than no picture.

also 75-300 a shit, 70-300 IS a good
>>
>>2711355

as a dude that shoots on low level cameras i would say that if you can focus the area before the target gets there it will make your life easier. it's like you set the focus plane and then shoot right when the subject hits it
>>
Fix your white balance as well, the shade gives a blue cast
>>
>>2711410
>bump that ISO

This. Seriously

Back button focus helps tremendously, looking back on it I know I've missed TONS of shots having to half-press the shutter.

Anticipate action, get expressions, and think of the narrative too. A goalie yelling at his defense to tighten? Could be frames of gold. Especially if they lose.
>>
File: 2015-11-28_09-04-36.jpg (458 KB, 1065x1600) Image search: [Google]
2015-11-28_09-04-36.jpg
458 KB, 1065x1600
>>2711355
Back button focus plus continuous AF (I think that's Servo in Canon-ese) has given me the best results settings wise. Practice, reading up on technique, and understanding the game I'm covering are even more useful so I can anticipate action and pre-focus if necessary.

It is a ton of fun. Enjoy it.

D700 with 70-200 vr1, cpl filter
105mm, f/2.8, ISO 200, 1/1000
>>
File: 2015-11-28_09-16-00.jpg (605 KB, 1065x1600) Image search: [Google]
2015-11-28_09-16-00.jpg
605 KB, 1065x1600
>>2711911
Also, get the action, and stay on target for the REACTION. Good stuff in the emotional moments.

200mm, f/2.8, ISO 1600, 1/500
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.