[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Photography laws in Canada?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: download.png (2 KB, 314x160) Image search: [Google]
download.png
2 KB, 314x160
I would like to start taking pictures in downtown and city public areas. I've tried looking but couldn't really find any solid laws. I know first amendment in the US, but what about Canada?

So my fellow Canadians, What does the law say on public photography, and taking pictures of subjects in public?
>>
A police officer wouldn't be bothered to detain you for taking photographs. I live around downtown Toronto and people do it all the time. Its just some people don't like to be photographed.
>>
>>2709751
Yeah but I would like to be able to quote some laws and be prepared.
>>
>>2709765
The criminal code lists criminal violations. The charter of rights and freedom is primarily brought forward for legal proceedings. There are no laws that specifically quote that you can use a camera in public space. I guess you could bring up the charter and pick a section that best fits what you want, but its completely arbitrary and it means nothing to regular civilians.
>>
I take pictures in public, I've never been stopped, detained and I've only had to deal with a cop once cause he asked me how I was getting images of any use during high noon

http://pencanada.ca/blog/public-photography-is-not-a-crime/

Plenty of weird looks though
>>
>>2709778
Sooo, you're saying that public photography isn't defined in Canada?
>>
I can't quote a specific law, but, in QC, schools usually have parents sign a release form to allow the school to take pictures of children during activities.

My advice is to ask an actual lawyer, if you know someone who knows someone they'll probably get back to you for free since it's a pretty simple question.
>>
>>2709780
I'm saying that laws aren't defined with what you can do, just what you can't. Use common sense, public photography isn't illegal, but the moment someone find your work intrusive to their person it can cause complaints. Which really means nothing.
>>
strret photog laws in quebec are weird
if the person is easily identifiable unless theyre part of a larger crowd its illegal
>>
>>2710800
quebec is also full of frog-wannabe retards
>>
Synchro at like 100% rn, I was literally thinking about this today as I would like to do some street photography in Vancouver. Thanks for the thread m8
>>
The courts in Canada have ruled on this a number of times. They say that a person, in a public area, has no expectation of privacy. They defined "Public Place" as "any location that can be seen from the street" such as sidewalks, roadways, storefronts ...etc. This has also been defined as the front yard of private homes. But no trespassing allowed.
>>
>>2711071
confirmed. There is no law against taking photos in public places
>>
File: Ontario-Photography-Laws.png (120 KB, 2200x1700) Image search: [Google]
Ontario-Photography-Laws.png
120 KB, 2200x1700
This is the best "cheat sheet" I have found.
>>
>>2709779

The weird looks aren't related to you taking photographs, I guarantee it.

>>2709780

There are only a few specific laws which even touch on it, and they are stuff like the Security of Information Act. That only applies to spying and shit, if you're not arab and you're just taking photos for recreation, there shouldn't be any issues.

Start photographing stuff like court houses, police stations, government buildings, etc. and you ARE going to get more attention. You may even be asked to stop, or to leave. If you pull out the "muh rights" card, be prepared to have your ass arrested and your shit confiscated and smacked around. Probably end up with a damaged camera in the process.

As you should, terrorism is a real threat and we can't have spies taking detailed photos of possible targets. Surely you can appreciate that.
>>
>>2712633
Thanks. I'm getting a camera soon, and want to snap pics willy nilly of people.
>>
>>2713537

>the terrorists have won
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.