[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>h-hello sir, do you mind if i take your p..photog-graph?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 8
>h-hello sir, do you mind if i take your p..photog-graph?

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
>>
>>2705634
how do you do this? i'm too timid and self conscious to stick my huge dslr in front of a strangers face a quickly take a shot.
>>
>>2705635

just ask?

the worst that's gonna happen is the person is gonna be like 'nah i dont want my photo taken'.
>>
>>2705638
guess you don't understand my level of self conscious. i want to take candids of people because i think it can make images more interesting and dynamic. i just need to get over it somehow.
>>
>>2705640
yeah you can't really ask them for a photo if you want candids.

idk i guess you could get a telephoto lens and scope em out if you dont have the balls to just take a pic while you're walking
>>
>>2705648
Cause that's much less creepy...
>>
>>2705634
gtfo of my face schlomo.
>>
>>2705656
it's a lot more creepy but if you have a problem going to their face and taking a picture then you're probably a creepy person. at least they wont be around you to call you a creep.
>>
File: IMG_3802-3.jpg (483 KB, 1000x665) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3802-3.jpg
483 KB, 1000x665
>>2705648
i've thought of this. still trying to decide on my next lens purchase. i like fast lens (who doesn't?). fast zooms and telephotos are out of my price range really, so i currently only have a 50mm and 24mm. i went to a concert the other day though and did get the courage to take some quick snaps of the people in the crowd. this one got some likes on flickr. this is the sort of thing i'd like to be able to do more often.

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 5D
Camera SoftwareRawTherapee
Firmware VersionFirmware Version 1.1.1
Serial Number1020702707
Image Width4378
Image Height2912
Compression SchemeUncompressed
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Data ArrangementChunky Format
Image Created2015:11:14 21:02:01
Exposure Time1/6 sec
F-Numberf/2.8
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating1600
Lens Aperturef/2.8
Exposure Bias0 EV
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length24.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Exposure ModeAv-Priority
Focus TypeAuto
Metering ModeSpot
SharpnessUnknown
SaturationNormal
ContrastNormal
Shooting ModeManual
Image SizeLarge
Focus ModeOne-Shot
Drive ModeContinuous
Flash ModeOff
Compression SettingUnknown
Macro ModeNormal
White BalanceAuto
Exposure Compensation3
Sensor ISO Speed288
Camera Actuations16
Color Matrix129
>>
>>2705678
definitely going to need a faster lens then, cause that image is soft all over and the motion blur looks like a mistake
>>
The answer is X100 or Oly XA.
>>
>>2705680
haha you show your low light shots in dark night clubs. as you can see i shot that as far open as that lens goes and iso cranked to max without activating the iso extension option on an old camera. so while i understand what you're saying there are times when you're going to have to look at what you shot and take the best one.
>>
>>2705682
wasnt trying to be a dick dude just saying, it may have been your best from a less than ideal situation but on its own and especially out of context it looks like a throw away. not a knock at you or your work.
>>
>>2705683
that is pretty much my best though :( if you dislike that you'd shit on everything else i do. everyone here already does. i'll probably quit soon anyway. i constantly ask myself why i continue to bother with this shit.
>>
>>2705678
1/6 of a second even with image stabilizer. and it's very grainy with 1600 iso on a 10+ year old camera. :( most other stuff i shot that night i did with 50mm at f/1.4.
>>
>>2705685
no one starts good. did you expect to pick up the camera and be a pro? if so you need to manage your expectations. if you didn't expect to be a pro when you start, why would you contemplate quitting when you get legitimate criticism? learn what you did wrong, and keep working until you dont do it wrong anymore.

on a basic level, not even getting into composition and more abstract concepts like that, your main area of attention is out of focus. the woman at the bar is completely soft. the motion blur doesn't add anything at all either. the white balance is off too.

don't just quit because you arent good yet. fix the shit you're shit at so you can get good.
>>
>>2705678
>i've thought of this.
you've actually thought of this?
because what I said was a joke
>>
>>2705696
Because no one has ever shot people in public with telephoto lenses.
>>
>>2705697
..not with the intent of scoping out candid moments because they're afraid of looking like a weirdo.

At least I hope not.
>>
>>2705701
mmm hmmm
>>
>>2705635
>>
File: R0131721 (Custom).jpg (235 KB, 1000x662) Image search: [Google]
R0131721 (Custom).jpg
235 KB, 1000x662
>>2705634
Just take the picture you fucking nerd

Equipment MakeRICOH IMAGING COMPANY, LTD.
Camera ModelGR
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 5.0 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.8
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)28 mm
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2015:10:29 12:48:00
Exposure Time1/2000 sec
F-Numberf/8.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating400
Lens Aperturef/8.0
Brightness10.3 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length18.30 mm
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
SharpnessNormal
>>
File: B0123890-y720px.jpg (76 KB, 480x720) Image search: [Google]
B0123890-y720px.jpg
76 KB, 480x720
>>2705659
>>2705656
You people need to stop making the same assumption that douchebags and nutcases make.
It's not creepy at all. You are just doing it wrong.
Iv'e spent the last 4 years shooting people with everything from a 500mm, 300mm, 200mm and currently 70-200mm and 17-50mm. The only people who think it's creepy whne they see me smiling and shooting them from *a few* metres away are the crazy assholes and people who spend too much time believing rapey matriarchy whiteknight SJW bullshit they spend all day gleefully choking down on the internet.
Being able to shoot someone from a few metres away is usually far less weird that getting in their way to do it. You just have to do it right.
Exactly like shooting people up close relies on the correct approach.
Exactly like asking permission before shooting people relies on the correct approach.
Yes of course there will always be cunts who say it's weird and creepy, but they are fucked in the head in the first place. And yes, sometimes the entire local populace is like that. So obviously theres places it's going to be tricky or dangerous.

Stop adopting the bullshit attitude that it's weird and you will have taken the first step towards not being general photography's Cancer yourself.

Equipment MakeRICOH IMAGING COMPANY, LTD.
Camera ModelPENTAX K-3
Camera Softwaredarktable 1.4
PhotographerAndrew Wade Eglington oh-hi.info
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)132 mm
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Image Created2015:11:15 18:14:12
Exposure Time1/320 sec
F-Numberf/6.3
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating640
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length88.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width480
Image Height720
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
ContrastHard
SaturationLow
SharpnessHard
Subject Distance RangeDistant View
>>
>>2706224
Eggy I'm suprised you haven't been confronted more. Brisbane has it's fair share of characters
>>
>>2705681
This. Get a less obtrusive camera. If you shoot film, a TLR can be good. People often doesn't realise you are taking a picture. Bring a camera up to your face, everyone knows you are taking a pic.
>>
/r/ the drawing of the guy with the long lens on the monopod shooting the pic of the woman who looks sad then the right panel has a post on /p/ where she talks about getting a divorce, having a bad day when suddenly guy approaches with bright flash and camera
>>
>>2706224
And this has never happened to you?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elnENHrliKc
>>
File: 61KYCox.jpg (152 KB, 680x798) Image search: [Google]
61KYCox.jpg
152 KB, 680x798
>>2706233
>>
>>2706237
Jesus christ I want to kick her fucking face in.
>>
>>2706231

This is rubbish perpetuated by blogs who just want to sell you cameras. As you said yourself :
> Bring a camera up to your face, everyone knows you are taking a pic
It doesn't matter what size the camera is, the action is the giveaway. And attempts to be discreet look a lot more sneaky and creepy
>>
>>2706255
This is the #1 reason I got a cheap OVF for my GR. You go from looking like a paedo-tourist, holding your camera at arm's length, to just another photographer.

It works surprisingly well
>>
>>2706256
>paedo-tourist
wow, are ALL tourists pedos?
>>
>>2706265
Only to single mothers and normies.
>>
when I bought my first decent camera earlier this year I went for the fujifilm xe-1 only because I thought it looked like those old film cameras, I never knew I would enjoy street photography this much later on and for that I just love the fuji, it's compact, it's discreet, it's not "in your face" like DSLRs. the lenses are super small too.
also, about shooting people candidly, just man up and go for the shot. always remember to smile and try not to look like a sneaky jerk while doing it, most of the time people will smile back at you, I've found out that people love getting their pictures taken way more than you would think.
>>
>>2706269
> normies

People who froth and foam at photographers are not normal or even part of the mainstream of society. They are just bullies who see it as a free pass to try to exert their dominion and trample on someone else's rights. You can be sure that people who do this are also abject cunts in other areas of their lives as well.

As with all bullies, the best thing to do is to stand up to them
>>
>>2706238
thanks!
>>
>>2706289
this. though as i live in the u.s. i'd never stand up to any stranger since i treat every person as if they are carrying a gun. in the u.s. there's a good chance they are.
>>
>>2705640
This is the kind of situation where it comes in handy to be an 8/10 girl in her early 20s with bad english or a very strong accent.
>>
File: isolation-frontzaehne_04.jpg (297 KB, 872x579) Image search: [Google]
isolation-frontzaehne_04.jpg
297 KB, 872x579
>>2705678
Get an m42 adapter and buy some shitty soviet lenses. I just got a 200mm 1:4 for £25. I got a 50mm 1:8 for about £20.
I've been able to experiment and find out what kind of lens would be a great investment.
Vintage lenses keep their value so should be able to sell them for about the same as you paid for them.
I keep some for use in places where I don't want to risk a good lens.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.