[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Making a pdf portfolio / portfolio design general
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /p/ - Photography

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: port-book-36.jpg (121 KB, 700x466) Image search: [Google]
port-book-36.jpg
121 KB, 700x466
Thinking of making a simple pdf portfolio to pass to companies/publications when I'm applying for contributor/freelance stuff.
Would like some advice and pointers from others who are experienced in this kind of thing.

I also have a few questions:

Is a brief description about myself in the portfolio necessary? Do I really have to put some kind of flowery passage about my "artistic vision" or something? I've seen other portfolios do that and I feel I'd be lacking if I didn't, but the whole thing feels a bit weird.

What would you say is a good page limit for an average digital pdf portfolio? My 3 main categories usually consist of portraits/fashion, music, and landscape/scenery and I'd like to showcase a good balance of all 3.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeNIKON CORPORATION
Camera ModelNIKON D700
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 3.6 (Macintosh)
PhotographerHoward Oates - Exposia
Maximum Lens Aperturef/3.2
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Color Filter Array Pattern832
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)60 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2012:01:13 14:18:46
Exposure Time1/160 sec
F-Numberf/4.5
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating400
Lens Aperturef/4.5
Exposure Bias0 EV
Subject Distance0.79 m
Metering ModeSpot
Light SourceFine Weather
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length60.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceManual
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Gain ControlLow Gain Up
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
File: PhotoMonthChallenge_001.jpg (543 KB, 6000x4000) Image search: [Google]
PhotoMonthChallenge_001.jpg
543 KB, 6000x4000
Haven't personally given my portfolio to anyone since I don't live near any agencies and you'd be stupid not to have an online portfolio for people overseas.

As far as words, I feel like you should only add to a photo if you need to, and the best photos can stand by themselves (i.e. if you *need* to write something, write as little as possible and make sure your future work is better).

The issue with digital portfolios over web-hosted ones is that you either have to limit your photos or the quality of the photos to keep the PDF small enough to send via email, so I would keep pages to between 10-15.
>>
>>2869330
>As far as words, I feel like you should only add to a photo if you need to, and the best photos can stand by themselves

Agreed. I just feel like I'm lacking when I see other portfolios having fancy written pieces and I'm like "wait, is this the norm now?"

But to each their own, I guess. I'm sticking to wordless save for some contact information.
>>
>>2869407
Just do what feels good senpai. let your gut and subconscious guide.

I feel exactly the same when i see phony ass wanabe art photographer's blurbs, obviously written by themselves in the third person. Using words to supplement your pictures can be a crutch, and hammy.

Do you have a link to your stuff online or any portfolio you have come up with yet?
>>
And that's why you all remain amateurs.

First, PDF is the complete wrong format for a digital exposé. Why would you use a post-script format for raster graphics when it is not meant to be printed? (And none of the people you'll send it will ever print it) .. And what does the choice of an inapt format say about your professional level?

Second, absolutely you need text. You are marketing yourself and you need to create the right halo, so people will be able to step into your work from the right side. You can't just let the viewer decide where he starts. Absolut basic!
And ofc the text must be well written. Just because you personally read bad texts, does not mean text is bad per se.

You stupid moronic apeheads which developed not beyond eating their own shit.

So, engage a proper graphic-designer and texter. That is what pros do ... in order to have pro material and time to do their actual work. (which is smearing shit on innocent paper ofc.)
>>
>>2869259
Great way to market yourself. I would take it a step further and get a few hard copies printed to give out to potential clients. Note, here's a trick to finding a good printer.
First, call around to local modeling agencies and ask which headshot photographers they recommend. Next, look up those photographers and ask who they recommend for printing "comp cards" and headshots. You will save yourself a lot of time, money, and headache by narrowing down a list of good printers.
>description about myself
You want to show a little bit of personality, but keep it short and simple. And please don't parrot the whole "photography is muh passion" meme. If you need help with this, go to the library and read the insides of book jackets where they rave about the author.
>page limit
As with everything, less is more. Cherry pick just your very best 6 images. If you want to show more, then make a wordpress site for your online portfolio and link it in your digital handouts.
>portraits/fashion, music, and landscape/scenery
I would pick only one and focus just on that. Stay cohesive with your images and try to tell a story. I wouldn't mix genres, it looks amateurish imho. For example, when I see landscape photographers trying to do portraits or vice versa, it just screams Jack of All Trades, Master of None.
>>
>>2869461
>PDF is the complete wrong format for a digital exposé
what would you recommend to OP, an online portfolio?
>engage a proper graphic-designer and texter.
Terrific suggestion. I'm a real estate photographer, I'm not going to be able to fluff pillows or drape throw rugs like an interior designer. If I shoot for a builder or an architect, I'll have a couple of decorators in my phone who I can hire to collaborate on the shot. OP needs to think the same way and outsource his/her text and graphic design
>>
>>2869461
>goes on to insult someone for asking a simple question
>only answers one of the questions and gives the wrong answer anyway

pdf is fine for a simple digital portfolio

and a body of work should speak for itself. your photobook or digital portfolio should have as few words as possible, ideally none. if working in multiple fields, have varying portfolios depending on the subject matter/client.

i have a portraiture as well as a macro/commerical products digital portfolio, for example.
>>
>>2869490
>I would pick only one and focus just on that. Stay cohesive with your images and try to tell a story. I wouldn't mix genres, it looks amateurish imho. For example, when I see landscape photographers trying to do portraits or vice versa, it just screams Jack of All Trades, Master of None.
that phrase has always screamed "my singular autistic interest in things makes me uncomfortable around renaissance men"
>>
>>2869534
Not a renaissance man, not a special snowflake, not even a creative artiste, you're just a nu-male Millennial parrot.
Any old anon can do portraits but very few have mastered the fine art of portraitry. Same for all the different genres.
And if you're shooting portraits, your 85mm f/1.2 and 70-200 f/2.8 portrait lens won't work for architecture gear. You won't have the $2,500 17mm and 24mm tilt shifts in your kit. You won't have the 16-35 UWA. You won't have the right light kit. And the list goes on.
inb4 b-but I c-could rent gear.
>>
>>2869493
Ofc an online portfolio is the prefered way to go. The whole point of online media is to pull content. Not push it. For pushing one can send a printed portfolio.

But if you have to push online - for some weird reason - then an archive with jpg/tif files would be saner. Ofc it's then a bit senseless to make a page layout, but then on the other hand you also need no text.

This was maybe OP's confusion, because he feelt like just sending pictures, but then stacking them in a pdf with no layout and text seemed even to him a little bit stupid.
So, using formats for what they are meant for, easily could solve the issue.
>>
>>2869526
No. PDF is not fine for an online portfolio. PDF is a ps format good for printing. PDF is not even good for plain text online. It is just good for printing text after received.

You can divert stuff from its intended use, but don't be surprised if people then quickly recognize your amateurish nature.
>>
>>2869259
>Is a brief description about myself in the portfolio necessary? Do I really have to put some kind of flowery passage about my "artistic vision" or something? I've seen other portfolios do that and I feel I'd be lacking if I didn't, but the whole thing feels a bit weird.
Since this is digital portfolio tailor it to where you are submitting it to. Text needs to convey meaningful information on the work while being concise. Everyone hates circular word salad text. Don't waste their time.

>What would you say is a good page limit for an average digital pdf portfolio?
No less than 10 no more than 20. You can break this rule if there's a good reason to.

> I'd like to showcase a good balance of all 3.
No, tailor the submission for the place you are sending it to. They want to see someone with clear vision or style and the ability to effectively execute that vision.

When you submit a portfolio it shouldn't feel generic and made for more than one submission (and honestly it shouldn't be). Research places you would actually want to work/show/whatever with and make a meaningful portfolio for that single place. If you can, visit and talk with people who work there in person before reaching out.
>>
>>2869649
Not only are normal non sperg everyday computer using adults going to notice the difference.

OP, PDF is fine and easy, but online would be easier and feature more, "wow." the last thing you want to is listen to isi in disguise
>>
>>2869681
>Not only are normal (...) adults going to notice the difference

, buuuuut ... also .... what ???
>>
>>2869648

>This was maybe OP's confusion, because he feelt like just sending pictures, but then stacking them in a pdf with no layout and text seemed even to him a little bit stupid.

I have a bit of a minimal layout/titles to distinguish the categories

It's like a coffee table book style (main title, first category title, photos, 2nd title, photos, etc) but without the formal stuff like intro/foreword/about/whatever except for some contact info
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.