[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So /out/ recently I got asked a question >So anon what are
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3
File: 1371267685393.jpg (198 KB, 500x775) Image search: [Google]
1371267685393.jpg
198 KB, 500x775
So /out/ recently I got asked a question

>So anon what are you good at

We were drunk so I sidestepped the question but I realized I have no talents besides doing well in school, drinking and video games.

I am 24 I don't want to waste any more of my youth. I've travelled some but it's expensive and hard to get a group. I go to raves and music festivals but that's just more drinking drugs and empty happiness.

I need a hobby, whether it be sports hiking, surfing w/e and I want something I can get good at.

Living in CA I am open to suggestions, I know this is an outdoorsy board but I'm also open to suggestions like "oh do piano" but yeah I just want a lot of ideas and fun things to do. I am poor but my parents are not and if I were to find something I am passionate about they would probably help me financially but they would not throw money at me to try a bunch of stupid shit out of no where.

Also I need more than "go camping"

I need advice I don't know shit about shit, I need instructions, I need places to go, cheap starting places and smart investments to make for it. My work schedule is also flexible. I was looking through the boards and I figured this was the best place to start.

Example, I do enjoy soccer but after college don't know where to even look to find people to play with because I'm retarded with figuring this kinda shit out.
>>
>>743863
travel europe by yourself

>budget
>plan the trip
>work on some farms/pick fruit
>acquire a lot of independence

also, go to community centers and read the boards

there is always something there. might be a club, an event, a team, a charity, or anything
>>
>>743870

>plan the trip

I don't even know what to plan, what season should I go during? What countreis? How do I find places to sleep and for that matter work like you said.

And how long should I go for? How much money should I have saved up?

I'm only asking because I'm an idiot on this crap, your post is helpful and thank you very much, I wouldn't have even known about working on farms, but I don't know where to find them.

I had a friend who would bartend but I do not have a license and don't know if it would be worth getting.
>>
>>743871
try

might be hard to imagine, but you do have the ideas and creativity to plan an awesome trip. Just need to get yourself excited and off your butt

pick a starting point and start researching from there. You might start out in the UK and somehow end up in finland a few hours later.

I am not sure where to find the seasonal farm work or just general farm hand. But it is cheaper than a hostel and you have a place to stay for a while.

explore

you will end up finding a lot of really interesting things that will all net together

start at wikipedia lol
>>
>>743863
>I have no talents besides doing well in school,
You can convert that one into any number of perks when you level up.

>drinking
try all-grain homebrewing (but not distilling because it's illegal)

>and video games
OK, I concede that's a useless talent.

>I am 24 I don't want to waste any more of my youth.
Forget about special talents and travel while you still can. You sound like one of the Cutie Mark Crusaders.

> I've travelled some but it's expensive and hard to get a group.
If you're travelling expensively and with a group then you're travelling all wrong for your age group. Do it cheap and solo.

In summary, my advice to you is to read "Dharma Bums" by Jack Kerouac.
>>
>>743863
>>743905
Home brewing is not that bad of an idea. In college my roommates and I started with cider. Bought a gallon glass jug of apple cider and added sugar and champagne yeast. Then we moved onto beer which is simple enough.

After I moved out I tried distilling with a pot still and reflux still. If anyone officially asks the distiller is for "purifying water" which its pretty good for. Otherwise I make small batches and test recipes and ocaisionally give a bottle as a gift. Plenty of info and forums out there.

When I was done with school I found I had so much time. In the beginning I would just sit and play video games for the hours I used to spend doing homework and studying. Took up hiking and camping and built a home gym for working out. Did not have a lot of experience but I picked something that would keep me active that I liked.
>>
>>743871
Woofing Google it
>>
Heavy invest yourself in a sport, a team sport being the best imo. You're honing your skills and getting to know people similar to yourself. Mind you im yet to join a team but i am sure happiness lies in it. I'm thinking about joing a local Aussie Rules football club but the seasons already started so i'll join my local boxing club soon.
>>
OP here I think I'm going to travel, I think I'm going to start with Scotland since I have scottish descent. I'll try to look up some stuff but if anyone has advice for this I'd appreciate it. Should I start in scottland and move or just stay there for a while?
>>
OP, as long as you keep wasting your money on booze and video games you are going to be a poor fuck. Just quit drinking altogether instead of slowly killing yourself and making sure you're forever poor. Start by counting all the money you spend on alcohol and parties, I bet you could afford any hobby.
>>
Do parkour. It will keep you in shape, you'll spend time outside and people are like crazy friendly. Everyone will try to help you, advise you and you'll make a lot of friend
>>
Skiing takes a little investing to get into, but once you've got all the gear you can really ski anywhere with snow. Get some fat backcountry skis, some skins, touring bindings, and it's basically hiking up a beautiful mountain then coasting down it. Also the community is really driven and who knows when the snow will melt for good, so might as well enjoy it now
>>
geochaching is nice, too. or if you live in a metro area try urban exploration. it's very fun and for free
>>
CA is one of the most /out/ states there is. You can get into hiking a lot cheaper than you can get into traveling. Just google "best day hikes in California" and I'm sure you'll get plenty of results, pick whichever one is closest and wear good shoes and go do it. Bring a water bottle. See if you like it.
>>
>>743863
Try baneposting, works for me.
>>
>>>/trash/
>>
File: hugs.png (629 KB, 1267x701) Image search: [Google]
hugs.png
629 KB, 1267x701
Don't worry, trees don't judge you.
It's hard to be "bad at outdoors" unless you're a complete moron.
>>
Try dirt jump, bmx, downhill mountain biking
>>
File: Boulder.jpg (84 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Boulder.jpg
84 KB, 1280x720
>>743863
I would highly check out rock climbing. Here's the deal, you'll either love it or find no pleasure in it at all, but as for me I loved it on the spot. You can check out rock climbing in some climbing gym in CA, but real rock is the good stuff, it's what it should be all about. If you really like climbing, you can live on climbing that man, out of a van or whatever; and you don't have to be alone, you could join up with some other climbing group. As a side note, running out of places to go should be no problem at all, there are literally hundreds of outdoor climbing spots within a 1 hour drive of my house.
>>
>>743863
Surfing is amazing. If you live somewhere you can do that casually, give it a shot.
>>
>>743863
Try dry humping. Go get a big af teddy bear and loose yourself to it. Shit's cash
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.