[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Outdoor food Thread #1
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 198
Thread images: 29
I saw a thread a while ago here where people talked about what they usually prepare, pack, cook, eat when outside.

Let's share with our recipes, methods, etc...
>>
I usually tend to bring dehydrated food. Instant oatmeal, dried fruit, nutmix, chocolate, protein bars, canned meat and vegetables, rice, pasta.
>>
>>735521
Depends on season and location. I usually go on fishing trips so i never bring anything meat related - because fish.
Maybe some veggies like 1 potato 1 carrot 1 onion and a dehydrated chicken stock cube to make a soup or stew. Usually take whit me that what i can not easily acquire in the location. There are situations where i can get wild forest garlic that tastes like garlic but consists of leafs - but its very rare and needs to be left where it is so this specie wouldnt die out completly. Some ramen is always in my pack for just in case and i usually eat my reserves because you get hella hungry outside doin shit.
>>
>>735532
Continue.
I have us army canteen set with cup as my pot. Stainless steel cup for tea coffe. Frying pan.

I have 4 tent pegs to put my pot and shit on when cooking in fire (Alfie lessons). And i recently got gas burner so im pretty sufficient in different cooking methods.
So stews and soups mainly because fuck it stuck everything in pot add water do something else for some time come back warm healthy food from fresh veggies and fish or something.
Fried fish smoked fish grilled fish and so on.... Im a keen fisherman so i eat what i can get. And im very good at cooking them too.
>>
I mix minute rice, dehydrated refried beans, and taco seasoning in a plastic container. It's pretty good, cheap, and I can make a much or as little as I want.
>>
>>735521
I plan a long trek this summer, no resupply points, so I have to load 45K calories into the pack. This is what I cam up with:

12 double hot meal: 14.4k (3.6kg)
8 single hot meals : 5.4k (1.2kg)
24 Snickers 6k (1.2kg)
trail mix 5k (1kg)
12 cliff bars 4.4k (800g)
reindeer jerky 3k (1.2kg)
rye bread 5k (2g)
cheese 2k (500g)
tea, sugar, spices chewing gum 200g

45.2k 11.6kg

1 large gas cardtridge 450g (650g)

12.2kg loaded

lets see if I still got space for a bottle of scotch.
>>
I cut off the dead skin off the bottom of my feet and chew on that while I hike.
>>
I'll pretty much eat anything when i'm innawoods.
It's amazing how good food tastes like when you've been hiking for an entire day.
>>
File: Rocket Stove Cooking 1.jpg (3 MB, 3072x4608) Image search: [Google]
Rocket Stove Cooking 1.jpg
3 MB, 3072x4608
>>735521
I just cook whatever I normally cook at home. The only exception is when I'm in a location where the game is different.
>>
>>735567
peeled scabs work too. not filling but get them at the right tiem and it's like jerky.
>>
>>735714
>peeled scabs
better to save those for the fishing line m8

turn one snack into many!
>>
>>735575
True
And a lot of places I go innawoods I'm too afraid of attracting bears by cooking savory dishes
>>
File: DSC01292.jpg (463 KB, 1632x1224) Image search: [Google]
DSC01292.jpg
463 KB, 1632x1224
There is a huge difference between camp cooking and what you would take hiking. The latter is optimized for weight and nutrition. But at base camp you can really cook and bake.

You don't need much.
Dutch oven with lid and chain
Another pot or pan
A ladle
A bunch of bowls
Cutting board and knife
Spices, pestle and mortar
A large sieve
Sponge, towel, brush, soap

I like making stews, chilis, and soups - anything that simmers meat for hours.

But with an open fire people want barbecue. Instead put your marinaded bird, fish, or cut on a spit, place it near the fire, put a pan under it to catch the juices, and cook it with radiation instead of convection. A reflector behind it helps even out the heat.

Fresh bread is magic. I am partial to sourdough rye, but a simple yeast leavened wheat bread can be made in an hour. Cheese and smoked ham keep without refrigeration, as do jellies, marmalades, and chutneys.
>>
My all time favourite is cooking pasta, removing the water, then adding a few blocks of cheese and dried sausage and stir while the cheese is melting
>>
>>735521
Bannock Bread Mix (Stuff is so easy to mix/bake and tastes just like regular ol' biscuits considering the recipe)
Room temp sausages/hard cheeses
Tortilla wraps
A small bottle of olive oil
Peanut Butter
Bacon Bits
Trail mix with Raisins/Dehydrated Fruit/Almonds/Cashews. Storebought shit and it's fantastic
Cliff Bars
Raisin/Cinnamon oatmeal packets
Canned soup/pasta
Never tried any dehydrated packaged foods before. Nothing against them, just can't justify the price.

Would prefer to getting into cooking more other than just bannock and stuffing it with whatever meat/cheeses I have.
>>
>>735567
I had a couple of old relatives that when they got married (like in the '40s) were very poor. The day they married they had nothing to eat so the abuelo cut off a piece of skin from his feet to use as bait. He caught a litlle fish and used it as bait too, the wedding night had plenty of fish for eveyone ;)
>>
File: prep.jpg (987 KB, 1887x1239) Image search: [Google]
prep.jpg
987 KB, 1887x1239
Planned a 3 days hike.
Snacks, Lunch, Breakfast, Main meal, extra/emergency food.

Those salami sticks are serious business.
>>
>>737377
Maltesers, you are my kind of guy, I believe in you.
>>
>>737377
That's almost more trash than food.

But as long as you bring it back to civilization with you it will magically disappear, I'm sure.
>>
>>737385
Yeah I always carry doubled up bin bags around at all times. I am a mobile trashcan.
>>
I just pulled the trigger on a food dehydrator and it should be here by Thursday, if Amazon and UPS don't louse it up.

Any of you sc/out/s have any recipes or links to recipes for dehydrated camping/backpacking meals? The first thing I want to make is beef jerky and maybe some dehydrated chili.
>>
>>737377
>rice cakes

Jesus Christ why. All that space taken up for what is essentially just air.
>>
>>735532
Literally me, but I do carry garlic because of taste and properties (antibacterial, etc.).
>>
>>737495
>3 day hike
>caring about space over weight

Gotta have room for your dragon dildo?
>>
>>737385
Horrifyingly so.

>>737390
The proper way to do it, is to buy in bulk (better yet, farm your own food), prepare it yourself before leaving, and put it into larger single reusable containers.
>>
Im not sure if other countries have something similar, i imagine you would, but in australia we have damper. Probably one of the few traditional aussie foods, and is basically bread prepared in a camp oven over coals. First made by cattle drivers who needed to cook with rations, and eaten with some jap or golden syrup as a topping. Good shit m8
>>
>>737377
You will starve at the end of day 1 and be dead after day 2. I pity you.

Looks ok, have fun m9
>>
Guys have you ever cooked one of those hobo meals wrapped in tinfoil over the fire? How much time does it takes to cook potatoes, carrots and chicken or beef? Can you throw the potatoes over the fire as is or you need to wrap them?
>>
>>735590
>rocket stove
does a lot of good in rainy/wet locations.
and bulky as fuck.
>>
>>736846
>between camp cooking and hiking
I think you mean car camping and actual camping
>>
>>737377
srsly the laziest food kit ever, not saying it's terrible but man, put some thought into it.
>>
>>737846
Damper is top notch grub m80
I remember making it for the firt time in preschool or early primary school on an excursion. Fresh hot bread wherever you go. Except when there are total firebans on.
My girlfriend tried making on one of those electric bbq's at a campground once but it was a failure.
>>
Do you guys munch on Clif Bars and other stuff like that on the trail? I had my first one last night at work (gas station), I thought it would make me feel less hungry but it didn't really do anything. Do you have to eat like two of them to make a difference?
>>
>>737377
It's well organized, but for my personal taste it lacks any variety.

I am not entirely sure what your goal is while out? For me, I strive for maximum calorie-to-weight ratio with a bit of variety. As an example, I would ditch the rice which by volume, you can take two portions of quinoa. Add a table spoon of olive oil per portion and you've got a dinner that is 900 calories or so, but it's packed full of good fats (but i see you have the fish with olive oil also...).

The rice cakes should be swapped for something else...because they are essentially puffed air with a taste and low caloric value-to-volume. The bananas...self contained, but a large portion in weight (the peel) is non-edible and dead weight.

Also things like dark chocolate or hot cocoa are nice moral boosters for the end of the day while putting high calories in you before bed.

Either way, have a nice time /out/ and enjoy.
>>
>>739520
Never did whatyou call a hobo meal, but i am interested.

However, i can recommend baked potatoes. Just wrap the potato in tinfoil and put it in the fire. It might burn a bit, but that doesn't matter much when you are hungry.

I personally like to sprinkle the potatoes with olive oil, salt and cumin before the baking. If i have garlic, i add it as well.
>>
>>739520
During the summer we did meals like this over the fire at home. It takes a while, you need to have a good bed of coals, not flames. It was an all day thing, just hanging out outside, then smores for dessert.
>>
File: DSCN3562a.jpg (515 KB, 2291x3238) Image search: [Google]
DSCN3562a.jpg
515 KB, 2291x3238
>>739557
Yeah, I'd used that very one in stormy rainy weather for over a wee; even longer in winter with several feet of snow on the ground. It held up really well.

Also, that one is only 4" x 6.5" x 10" and weighs 0.7lbs. it is hollow, so I use it to store the fire kit and a lot of other stuff. I don't use it with the wind guard anymore since I have other stuff to stop wind, but when I did, it inverted and slipped over the stove, making it compact.

The best part is how LNT it is.
>>
>>739520
>>739624
If time is your worry, turning your food into small pieces allow it to cook much faster. You can still wrap it in foil if you must. Adding a little water to it will help the heat transfer faster while helping to prevent burning to a degree.
>>
>>739568
Clif bars don't necessarily make me "not hungry" but they do provide quick energy for snacking without stopping to make an actual meal.
>>
>>739681
Do Clif bars have a lot of protein in them? Or just carbs?
>>
>>739624
>>739633
>>739674

Thanks for the info and tips guys.
>>
>>739709
there's cliff bars and then the cliff builder bars. The builder bars have more protein.
>>
>>739749
>candy bars for weight lifters

kek society is so fucking upsidedown
>>
>>739770
I got a ton of those Gatorade protein bars for free from work and they are actually bretty gud. Tasty when I want something in my stomach while working but don't want to slow down from McD's. The protein fills you up too, so it's a decent midnight snack if I eat one of those instead of a whole pack of Oreos.
>>
>>739775
I snack on dehydrated veggies and fruit I grow. For protein I eat venison jerky (it runs out to fast!) from winter kills. I'll probably make some fish jerky this year.
>>
>>739784
I don't get venison jerky or dehydrated veggies from work so fuck it. I did get a bunch of Doritos last week. Free food is best food.
>>
>>739794
I keep forgetting the meaning of your name, but you seem to always make me remember.

That stuff isn't, "food".
>>
>>739796
Not even the chicken parm that has been sitting on the break room table for 6 hours?
>>
File: img.jpg (508 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
img.jpg
508 KB, 1000x667
>>739579
Thanks, I am back from the hike. In fact I am training for an endurance ruck-march where stopping to cook would impact having a good finishing time and another reason I wasn't concerned about weight (36lbs with water). I didn't mention I wasn't wild camping either.

Defiantly should have swapped rice cakes for cracker bread, also the coffee cups exploded causing some bags to get quite sticky.
The salami sticks were great but were really dehydrating.

Always surprised at how much water you go through. Will look into that quinoa, looks like it would make for some good pre-made meals.
>>
File: low-vis.jpg (464 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
low-vis.jpg
464 KB, 1000x667
>>740167
>>
Too bad this thread didn't take off like Knife General or the fishing thread. I'm sure people have good ideas to share. Has anybody tried those prepared noodle side dishes when /out/?
>>
File: Dehydrated Vegetables full.jpg (3 MB, 4777x5000) Image search: [Google]
Dehydrated Vegetables full.jpg
3 MB, 4777x5000
>>740167
>also the coffee cups exploded

How and specifically what where they?

>where stopping to cook would impact having a good finishing time

If you have a vacuum insulated Thermos bottle (or other brand name) you can merely bring your stuff to a boil, pour it into the Thermos and take off again on your march. This will continue to cook the food until it is ready to eat. You can cook anything from premade meals to beans and rice using this method. for cleaning, use a proper heavy duty bottle brush.

This will add some weight of course, but you can eat right from the Thermos bottle as you are walking.

Also, if you have a food dehydrator, look into making your own pre-cooked, dehydrated meals. You can make all sorts of pasta dishes using that method and they only need rehydrated. Google, "DIY dehydrated meals". Personally, I make dehydrated mixes and put them into baggies with some pasta or whatever. The same goes with pre-mixed bread recipes.
>>
>CTRL-F
>No bacon

What the fuck guys. It's delicious, energy dense, it cooks on an open fire in about one minute and you can collect the dripping to flavour your other meals. Its also vacuum packed so there's zero wasted space, and its so tasty that an entire pack will be gone in one sitting so you don't need to worry about carrying it later (You DO go camping with friends, right?). Bacon is pretty much the mascot food of /out/.
>>
>>740718
But if you are hiking in hot weather it can get ruined? I carried it once and it was sloppy at the end of the first day when I took it off the pack
>>
My meals these days:

Banana+oatmeal+corn in flour tortilla. Because the less shekels you spend, the longer you can travel.
>>
>>740768
If you are thinking calories per dollar you should add peanut butter to that mix
>>
>>740797
Peanut butter and banana tortilla wraps are actually really tasty and filling.

>>735559
So, I'm leaving for the PCT very shortly, and food has become a problem. Originally I was going to make pemmican, but was told the fat wouldn't last the whole trip, so I started making dehydrated and vacuum packed meals, but the increased cost of ingredients and larger volume made shipping prohibitively expensive. Now, I'm counting on buying food as I go along, but I only have ~$1000 for food, so buying "camping food" is out of the question. I need to cash in my 4Chan karma and get some advice, guys. I just don't know what to do.
>>
>>740833
You need to go full expedition mode. That means thinking in terms of calories and forget about deli recipes. Make an estimation of the calories you'll need per day (should be around 3-5k daily depending on the weight you are carrying and how steep the trail is going to be) and cover those calories with food, not candy. You want oats (lightweight), peanut butter, milk, cocoa, honey, jerky, rendered fat for cooking, pasta, etc. Spices help.

Also, you want to practice cooking those things at home first and do the math to calculate the calories you'll be getting per serving. There are ton of apps and websites that will help you find out how many calories you are getting with your food (my fitness pal, etc).

Hope it helps.
>>
>>740718
If it is real bacon that has been properly cured then yes. It lasts a long long long time. But that store bought bacon in the plastic, hell no. It goes bad really quickly.
>>
>>739709
The extra protein comes from the meal worms. Sucks because I liked them but after actually finding one wriggling around in there I was pretty displeased.
It's not just me either. It's a known issue, look it up.
>>
>>741430
What should I look for in a good, quality bacon?

Campfire question:
When cooking directly over the fire/ coals where the smoke will directly touch the food how do you make sure that a) the wood is safe and won't impart anything to the food to make you sick and b) pick the correct wood that won't make your food taste like shit.

I really want to try out some open flame cooking this summer.
>>
>>743006
>What should I look for in a good, quality bacon?

http://www.amazon.com/Country-Cured-Johnston-County-Hams/dp/B004UHSHUE

Look for "no refrigeration needed,", "no nitrates", & "smoke cured". Like, "salt and hickory smoke dry cured bacon". It is almost impossible to find and most people buy a hog and make it themselves.

>a) the wood is safe and won't impart anything to the food to make you sick and b) pick the correct wood that won't make your food taste like shit.

Learn the trees in the area and only use what is safe. There are no trees that I know of that make normal campfire-cooked food taste terrible.
>>
>>743151
Nitrates are what kill the bacteria that causes botulism. It's not safe otherwise I thought.
>>
>>743260
Nitrate curing is merely 1 form of meat curing and it happens to be the cheapest method for companies to do. Which is why it is just about the only thing you see. It is also the reason meat cured with other method is more expensive. I personally prefer sugar cured and smoke cured meats. I plan on smoke curing fish this summer sometime.

Read up:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curing_%28food_preservation%29

The only time there's a problem with bacteria is when the curing process is done incorrectly or storage is improper (storing it in a hot and wet place is bad for instance.)
>>
>>740725

I live in Queensland Australia, so I deal with hot humid conditions when I go camping as well. There are a few things you can do to offset this problem depending how long you wanna be out for. If it's gonna be eaten within 24 hours like a weekend camping situation you just take it straight out of the fridge and keep it in the center of your backpack to insulate it and slow down heat percolation. For a slightly longer term solution, freezing the bacon pack and wrapping it up in a towel to catch condensation works too. Combining the two concepts and you can keep bacon cold and sanitary for 2-3 days no problem. Of course like most meats it's best consumed quickly.

>>743260
I've cooked bacon on an open fire plenty of times, and I've never experienced a wood or smoke that made it taste bad. Smoke only imparts a very subtle smell, and its nearly impossible to change the taste of bacon. Having said that, I've heard that burning the shells of pistachio nuts imparts a sweet smoke, so consider trying that out next time you're out camping.
>>
File: 234721_ts.jpg (166 KB, 1155x1155) Image search: [Google]
234721_ts.jpg
166 KB, 1155x1155
>cooking actual food
>/out/

no thanks
>>
>>743817
>freezing the bacon pack and wrapping it up in a towel to catch condensation works too

Why is it straya is always bringing top tier advice expecting nothing in return? Thanks based anon
>>
File: 1180.jpg (151 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
1180.jpg
151 KB, 1280x1024
>>735521
Ultra lighters, drink their piss through a filtered straw for water. and eat their finger nails and lick their cellphone screens for calories
>>
>>743820
because it was so hard to bring a small ice chest and some dry ice, for your 2 day car camping trip, eh?

One ice chest for your food.
one ice chest for your drinks.

PROBLEM SOLVED.
>>
>>743823
t. yuropoor
>>
I always bring some~ fresh fruits and over 9000 cliff bars

probs could just survive off cliff bars, I am rather content with not eating anything enjoyable.

My brother had a lot of canadian military ration packs that I took with me for cottage camping fun

was disgustingly enjoyable to consume. It can be described as tasting like hollowed out ass, but you experience a full meal and it gives you everything you need. One was different that had candy and little crackers.
>>
What foods would you prepare/take for a 2-3 day trip, with the challenge being that you are not allowed to have any sort of fire?
>>
I always wondered how people prepared fancy meals for trips when they're cooking either on a single wood fed makeshift stove or an open fire with the chance of a missing grill. Lugging all those pans would be a bitch but you want to eat nice and well.
So how do you guys do it? what's your rigs?
>>
>>743868
Dehydrated ingredients
>>
>>743869
castiron is still a bitch, even though it's so good.
>>
>>737377
You go through a pack of gum a day?
>>
>>735521

Try this:

mix:
4 parts sweet paprika
1 part spicy paprika
1 part smoked sweet paprika
2 parts powdered garlic
1 part ground black pepper
1 part salt
1 part powdered onion
1 part thyme

Take strips of bacon, roll in the mix.
Take a decent sized potato, cut in half (lengthwise), put bacon in the middle, wrap in tin foil, bury in campfire ash and embers for approx. half an hour.
>>
>>744031
Back when I chewed gum I chewed half or all the pack at once. 1 stick was so tiny.
>>
>>743860
I actually need to do this, planning on subsiding on bananas, tuna and bread.
>>
>>743860

fruit, jerky, tuna, stuff to make sandwiches with (cold meat, cheese, butter, etc.)
>>
>>740167
Nice, I was hiking near you last weekend, I recognise that peak. How snowy did you find it was? When we summitted one of our mountains it was pretty wintry
>>
>>743819
Full pleb
I love the taste and process of cooking outside. Breakfast especially.
Now I need to find a god tier biscuit recipe...
>>
>>735590
>>739672
I love this. Was it hard to make? I need to go find some tutorials for these little fuckers
>>
>>743819
Try not to get too much in contact with nature while you're out there, pham
>>
>>745244
If you've done any kind of DIY, it should be fairly easy to make. Mine has fiberglass insulation between the inner and outer cans. This makes it much lighter than those sand versions and not messy like the sand or vermiculite insulated versions. All I used was some tin snips, pliers, drill, and rivet gun with food cans, fiberglass insulation, rivets, and coat hanger wire. Using fiberglass insulation also allows the inner/outer food can diameters to be closer to each other allowing the total wall thickness to be thinner.

While this is a very effective stove, it isn't a properly proportioned rocket stove. I think it needs to be twice as tall. That way the flue gases will be completely burned up by the time they reach the cook pot. That will make it a real rocket stove and stop suet build up on the bottom of cooking vessels (they reburn the flue gases via "Stack Effect" by getting it to burn hotter). I will probably add some flue and draft control to help change the speed of the air draw.

The tutorials you find online are almost all for versions that are too short. My next version will be much taller. I'll probably have fold up/down legs supports or something too.
>>
>>745278
The size of it was actually the reason I found the one you posted so attractive. Because I vaguely recalled the few ones I saw so far were relatively big and spacious. And since I go with a backpack only when I go on hikes, size is a factor.
>>
File: Rocket Stove Cooking 2.webm (3 MB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Rocket Stove Cooking 2.webm
3 MB, 640x480
>>745510
The fiberglass insulation is the key to keeping these narrow. You just need to account for balancing it. As for height, you don't need a rocket stove to cook food as you see. It merely means the pot/pan will have suet on the bottom when using a short one. Some water, baking soda, and a rag takes that all off very easily.

You can make one similar to mine and it will work well for your needs I'm sure. I'll be off experimenting making more though. lol
>>
>>745557
>fiberglass insulation is the key to keeping these narrow

Fiberglass is pleb tier. If you really want to keep it small use asbestos. It's a much better insulator.
>>
>>735521
>make fun of car camping
>show a cast iron kitchen that would only be used car camping

So which is it /out/?
>>
>>745618
I've seen one anon post about packing a small one because that was something he really enjoyed while /out/
Of course there was no pic to prove it...
>>
File: 20160419_173233.jpg (2 MB, 2560x1536) Image search: [Google]
20160419_173233.jpg
2 MB, 2560x1536
Shredded tomatoes, kidney beans with chili and sausages. And some water for green tea. My go-to breakfast
>>
>>745604
>carrying around and inhaling asbestos

Where are you from? Enjoy your cancer...
>>
>>745604
The 1950s called, they want their insulation back. Also, it has a terrible R-value/thermal conductivity compared to fiberglass insulation. You are better off using Rockwool insulation or Fiberglass insulation for this type of application.
>>
>>745557
>>739672
>>735590
How heavy are these? Can you carry them around while hiking?
>>
I'm trying to come up with a light setup

Plan is hike at early dawn then breakfast then hiking home.

Idea I have so far is cowboy coffee in a 250g Snow Peak No. 1 Kettle, as well as butcher bacon that I could hang to cook on a stick over fire. I need more though.

Any other ideas for hot breakfast things without any cookware?
>>
>>746126
see
>>739672

>0.7lbs

That's:

0.31kg
11.2ounces
317.5grams
0.05stone

It weighs less than:

iPad mini 2 - 0.74lbs/341grams
4 packs of Ramen Noodles - 12ounces/340grams
6 snickers bars - 12.27ounces/348grams
11 ounces of water - 0.72lbs/326.5grams
>>
>>737756
get out autist
>>
>>745745
>>745814
Anons really? Guess I should have made it clearer my post was being cheeky :^)
>>
>>746478
Might have been my mistake for taking you seriously. I'm relatively new to /out/, I admit. And not to be offensive, but it seems you guys have some pretty cynic shitposters and trolls coming on here... It's almost irritating really.
>>
>>746478
It is the internet, what do you expect? There are no inflections in your post to indicate, "cheeky". This just seems more like "lol I was only trolling I'm not really an idiot. I knew fiberglass was a better insulator than asbestos!"
>>
>>735521
>>745557
>filling food up to the very top of the pot/pan
Please don't.
>>
>>746481
>pretty cynic shitposters and trolls coming on here... It's almost irritating really.

That's the charm of this place :^)
But if you slog through the shit you'll come across some gems.

>>746499
I see your point. I specifically chose asbestos because it is carcinogenic. Where I live you'd have to live in a bunker to not know. There's so many fucking mesothelioma lawsuit ads I'm going to sue for getting cancer from them.
>>
>>743823
>2016
>not having a fridge to keep your beer cold
>>
>>746505
>But if you slog through the shit you'll come across some gems.

Most of which can be found using google.

>>746500
Why?
>>
>>746521
Na m8. I've had some good convos with anons over the years. And I would have never discovered that sound engineer anon on Google. The one that makes comfy soundtracks of nature. I think I ran into him on /n/ first then /out/ a few days later.

tl;dr
Based anons are based
>>
>>746505
>That's the charm of this place :^)
End yourself.
>>
Who's carrying out all that cook gear? You'll making me feel bad about my freeze dried food in mylar bag dinners.
>>
>>746985
>Who's carrying out all that cook gear?

Car campers
>>
>>747021
Then you can all kiss my ass with trying to shame me about eating freeze dried food while hiking. Give me a ring when you are taking that number 10 cast iron pan 10 miles in on your back along with all the gear your gonna need for a 2 night, 3 day hike/camping trip.
>>
Does anyone have any good homemade recipes for protein, granola or whatever bars?
>>
>>749567
/fit/ can give you some solid protein recipes- sorry, don't have the infographic on hand for it at the moment
>>
>>739709
Holy shit, do you not know how to use google? You are pure cancer.
>>
>>747193
That's really not that difficult. And 10 miles from your car is car camping.
>>
File: A_Southern_Barbecue[1].jpg (151 KB, 852x616) Image search: [Google]
A_Southern_Barbecue[1].jpg
151 KB, 852x616
Has anyone here ever dug a pit barbecue?

Seems like a good way to make a lot of meat that wont spoil quickly.
>>
>>749825
Curious about what you think is a good distance.

>>749897
Hey, did you post that pic on /ck/ in the bbq thread?
>>
>>749825
>my way is the only way

I don't do car camping and I can't say it's a phenomenon in my country, but what's wrong with letting people enjoy things as they like? /out/ isn't a feat itself, for others it's just a way to relax.
>>
>>750103
2-3 day hike to base camp. Anything closer and you;re basically car camping because you can just run back to the car in an hour or so at 10 miles. Which is all you need for a friend to say "I'll brb, I need to charge my phone/laptop at the car." But, a hike that takes a few nights where you stop and camp then move on is one where people tend to stay and camp and enjoy nature without being lured back to the car and there's normally no cell reception too.

>>750157
Did you not read this post that started it? >>747193 He's the one getting all huffy about something someone else said that has nothing to do with this thread. Even you are getting defensive for no reason. Car camping is car camping, I never said it was a bad thing, I merely labeled it what it is.

Yet, you come along and see it as "my way is the only way" somehow from: "That's really not that difficult. And 10 miles from your car is car camping." Which I absolutely don't get how you can go from one to the other.
>>
I have really hard time to calculate how much food should I pack. Last week I went on a 3 day trip that I had to shortened because I ran out of food.

list
>3 tuna cans
>2 bananas
>1 bag of bread
>5 patties (first day)
>5 chicken steaks (first day)
>1 pack of crackers
>6 small croissants
>5 kiwis
>2 spicy sausages
>1 knorr pasta
>>
If i wrap food in tin foil and hold it above a campfire, will it get crispy? let's say can i make grilled cheese this way. or will it be a disaster.
>>
>>750298
kek you are basically steaming the food with that method. If you want to make grilled cheese que a nonstick pan. There's plenty other methods but from your post I know that you will be better off with a nonstick pan and probably some butter.
>>
>>750298
>grilled cheese sandwich in tin foil above a campfire
that would probably turn out something like jack´s omelet in the plastic bag. maybe you can cook omelets in tin foil over a fire?
>>
File: The Whitney-Detroit.jpg (2 MB, 1050x1440) Image search: [Google]
The Whitney-Detroit.jpg
2 MB, 1050x1440
I eat better when camping then at home.

At home, I’m a shitty / lazy cook and will eat whatever just to put “fuel in the tank” but when we go camping, my buddy who went to culinary school and did a stint at The Whitney and Detroit Athletic Club brings up a full-size smoker and a heavy duty two burner propane stove and a bunch of other cooking gear and makes pulled pork, smoked brisket, omelets, grilled chicken sandwiches and all kinda other yummy foods.

I did buy a bag of Mountain House Pad Thai last spring for turkey hunting, based on recommendations from you guys and it was SHIT! It wasn’t a case of just being a different recipe from what I’m used to, it was down-right fucking terrible and my buddy and I only ate 1-2 spoons worth before tossing the whole bag in the trash.

Thanks /out/, for getting me to waste $10….
>>
>>750380
>camping
> full-size smoker and a heavy duty two burner propane stove and a bunch of other cooking gear
now THAT´S what i call bait!
>>
>>750103

Yes I did, it's something I'm genuinely interested in and was hoping people here would be more helpful.
>>
File: snob.jpg (33 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
snob.jpg
33 KB, 320x240
>>750386

Indeed! On my last /out/ing to Chhogori (K2 to you plebs, Mount Godwin-Austen to the racists) I only took my Mora and a pair of fishnet Speedos.
>>
>>750386
He didn't say he brought it with him, he said he's friend did.
>>
>>750399
>He
>he's (sic!) friend
the equipment was on site. that´s decadent even by car camping standarts
>>
>>750402
>he's (sic!) friend

Sorry. I tend to make that mistake. English is my third language and I'm not fluent enough.

pls no bull
>>
File: tents_01.jpg (206 KB, 882x483) Image search: [Google]
tents_01.jpg
206 KB, 882x483
>>750380
>>750394
>>750402
That's "glamping."
>>
>>750298
Neither of these people have cooked over a fire in their life or worse yet are too stupid to use one piece of foil as an impromptu skillet to warm a cheese and brown a toast
>>750322
>>750326
To you two personally please stop acting like you know when you don't, it impedes the learning process for others who are capable
>>
>>750421
>someone went through the effort to hang burning oil lanterns at the top
>and then they added bright electric lamps rendering the lamplight null
That whole pic is a cesspool of frustration and dispair
>>
>>750523
Those are candles, but yeah, I agree. Nice place to visit, fuck, and leave someone else to put it up and take it down.
>>
>>750504
Ignorant and salty, bad combo m8. Tell me how many layers of foil are you using to brown bread over coals or worst, over a fire. For that effect, you might as well use a nonstick pan you tool.

You are so ignorant in matters of cooking that you are probably unawared that food contains water, and by sealing it and putting it over a heat source you are actually steaming it. inb4 your retard come back, you are not creating an oven and hence can't achieve the maillard effect (which involves and has to take into account the amount of sugars -besides the temp- to be achieved).

So yes, a cheese sandwich (unless you use a ver specific recipe to make your bread, which you don't know because you are just a redneck who is not aware about how to combine starch with your everyday white wheat) into tin foil and over a fire is pretty much guaranteed to end up like one of ja/ck/s wa la masterpieces.

tl; dr: you seriouslly don't know what you are talking about.
>>
>>750555
He said one piece of foil to use as a skillet. As in placing a piece and fucking using it as a skillet.
A skillet.
Skillet.
>>
>>750421
Shit has no mesh enjoy dying by a hoard of african wasps, attacked by evil dovermans or your babby getting taken by dingos

0/10 wouldn't bob with
>>
File: DSC03676.jpg (4 MB, 3648x2736) Image search: [Google]
DSC03676.jpg
4 MB, 3648x2736
>>750322
>none stick pan
>butter

wut.

Cast iron pan, and some lard. FTW.
>>
>>750576
The guy wanted to make grilled cheese sandwiches with tinfoil. A cast iron pan + lard is like 3 steps ahead of that. Baby steps anon.
>>
>>750562
>He said one piece of foil to use as a skillet. As in placing a piece and fucking using it as a skillet.
how is that said between the lines of
>If i wrap food in tin foil and hold it above a campfire
>>
>>750849
He is talking about this anon here >>750504
>>
>>750392
I was the op there. Not sure this is the best board for this. /diy/ might be of more help. I think I've seen smoker threads there before.
>>
>>750421
Honestly, I really want to try this once. Looks so comfy.

>>750572
>babby getting taken by dingos
Kek
Sad story but kek anyways
>>
File: Cabelas Alaskan Guide tent-01.jpg (117 KB, 800x599) Image search: [Google]
Cabelas Alaskan Guide tent-01.jpg
117 KB, 800x599
>>750421
> That's "glamping."

Enjoy your freeze dried twigs and bugs. But judging from the pics I’ve seen posted on /out/, most of the “hard-core eXtreme campers” here with their ultra-lite alcohol stoves and Moras are in fact camping at Jellystone Campground (if not their mom's backyard...) while my buddies and I are miles off in the national forest in the actual wilderness.
>>
>>750993
>actual wilderness.
>nicely tended lawn
>>
>>750993
with your cars and a 15 lb tent and a picnic table and coolers...roughing it...but you guys are Actual Wilderness...thanks for the laughs.
>>
>>750993
>speakers blasting shania twain
>>
>>750504
>STOP POSTING IN MY FORUM, REEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!
dude, are you okay?
>>
File: 13CornDu3.png (2 MB, 1023x733) Image search: [Google]
13CornDu3.png
2 MB, 1023x733
>>740167

Cracking little peaks, winter conditions on them are the best.
>>
>>740168

Fan Fawr?
>>
File: Camp Food.png (992 KB, 1431x1000) Image search: [Google]
Camp Food.png
992 KB, 1431x1000
>>735521
This usually works for me for 2-3 days.

I tend to supplant with local plantlife. Dandelions, wild garlic, cattails. That sort of thing.
>>
>>735539
>4 tent pegs
This is a good idea. However, you'll have less fuckabout getting everything unwobbly if you use three pegs instead of four.
>>
File: uwant.png (642 KB, 543x1138) Image search: [Google]
uwant.png
642 KB, 543x1138
Question, may have been listed here already but I'm kinda lazy.

What's that one food that you're supposed to make with flour on the go? Like you straight up carry flour with you and fry up some kinda meat thing that's supposed to be really good.
>>
>>752742
Pan bread? Or, do you mean flour on the meat as in schnitzel? Which is the best way to fix venison, chicken, chicken-of-the-woods, and other stuff.
>>
>>752787
I never tried it, the post just made it sound really good. Unsure exactly what it was I just know you had to carry around flour to make it.
>>
>>752742
Hard tack or bannock?

Where's that pic from?
>>
>>752742
Not wheat but might help you.

1 part oat flour + 2 parts water and you can have shitty as fuck pancakes. You'll not enjoy them, but they'll keep you alive. You can use it as a base and build recipes with that (ie. add honey, berries, butter, rehydrated jerky, mushrooms etc)
>>
File: waw.gif (1 MB, 250x317) Image search: [Google]
waw.gif
1 MB, 250x317
>>752794
I think it was bannock, but if I recall the way the guy was talking you would like, almost bread something (meat, whatever) with a ton of flour and cook the shit up on the go.

The pics from Zootopia.

>>752871
Thanks mate, that's the kinda stuff I'm looking for, not exactly what I was lookin for mind you, but the kind of idea.
>>
>>749825
10 miles on the groomed trails may be easy, come hike where I hike faggot. I see people all the time with packs so freaking big it looks like they got a storage trunk strapped on. They are gassed a mile in.
>>
File: 1459013188075.jpg (69 KB, 571x649) Image search: [Google]
1459013188075.jpg
69 KB, 571x649
>>752950
That isn't bannock, fyi. Your descriptions are really terrible "almost bread something meat whatever" I mean damn. Articulate yourself.
>>
>>752954
I said, 10 miles is car camping. Of course the trail would be nice for a 10 mile car camper. It was a barb to the person I was replying to.

I don't see why you need to talk about morons with massive overloaded packs.
>>
>>752954
>come hike where I hike faggot
Your retort has indubitably proven you are far cooler than anyone else here on /out/.
You have earned your wings and may leave the board now rather than endlessly mire with us plebes.
>>
>>735565
Can cheese stay good, without cooling?
>>
>>753291
Real cheese as a small waxed wheel should be fine for a long time. But heat isn't good for it. When you cut it open you need to keep the air from it too. If there is water in the area you can put it into a water tight container/bag and sink it into the water to keep it much cooler.

You can also wrap it in cloth and wet the cloth. Keep it damp and exposed to the air so evaporation cooling helps keep it cool.
>>
>>750162

>brb guize, just going for a 20 mile jog on rugged, uneven terrain

wew

let me guess, you and your friends are all ultra-marathon runners too, right? i get your point, but i think youre exaggerating
>>
>>753531
I don't need to exaggerate. I'm not sure why you'd think I were.
>>
>>753560
You've been excused. You are better than all of us. Please leave now.
>>
>>753531
not that guy, but most of my packing partners are old XC folks and them doing 20 mile runs on trails is pretty much every weekend.
>>
>>753601
I don't really get it. This a meme I don't know about or? I'm not even really sure what section you are talking about being exaggeration. Nothing seems out of place.
>>
>>753609
youre running into the woods at sanic speeds to achieve over 20 miles per day (anything less would be trivial, amirite?) with full gear, for two to three days, to enjoy the privilege of shit posting on out about how superior you are to other "car campers", while maintaining the transparent facade that you are oblivious to your stilted posts coming off as pretentious. sounds pretty meme tier to me. just let up, man

anyway, one of the things ive enjoyed the most is lentils and rice seasoned with cumin, chili powder, salt and garlic. dry ingredients pack up nicely into a plastic bag and tastes great. i usually take potatoes, carrots and the like, coffee, tea, some other source of dehydrated protien. there are probably more effecient ways of doing things, but like other anons have said, i like the process of cooking outside. making your own stuff is the way to go also. saves money and you can tailor things easily
>>
>>753698
>youre running into the woods at sanic speeds to achieve over 20 miles per day (anything less would be trivial, amirite?) with full gear, for two to three days,

lol what? With full packs we really only do about 10-15 miles a day at a rather relaxed pace including stops to eat, rest, take photos, and make & break camp.

A close camp, like within 10 miles of your car is an easy run, without a pack, to get to in order to recharge a phone or whatever. I'd had friends do that very thing on many occasions when we were car camping (1 hour both ways and 2 hours at the car makes for barely anything done camping). So, we camp 20-35 miles from the car to prevent it.

Now, what exactly is your problem here?
>>
>>753713

>By your own definition car camping on your first day in and last day out
>Not being tactically airdropped to your main campsite

Found the casual guys
>>
>>753713
>1 hour both ways
pretty impressive, you would challenge the winner of this year's Boston Marathon at that pace, actually your speed is faster so you're the winner!!!
>>
>>753763
Ten miles in a hour is nothing. Even a girl can do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=We3y986HkFw

Does anyone in /out/ actually do anything outside or just shitpost all day long?
>>
>>753263
Oh, well you'll get over it boo boo, learn to work with less ;)

Now since you obviously don't know, I'll let someone else answer lol.
>>
>>753801
A lot of campers and fishers on here.
>>
>>754078
>Now since you obviously don't know, I'll let someone else answer lol.

That's not how it works. You gave nearly no information at all. Anyone trying to answer will just be guessing and it wouldn't matter since you obviously don't know what it is either. If they guessed correctly you'd never know if that was correct or not.
>>
>>754087
>Anyone trying to answer will just be guessing and it wouldn't matter since
It's been posted here several times, that's why I'm asking and fine with being vague, if you're newfriend, welcome to /out/
>>
>>754093
>that's why I'm asking and fine with being vague

Child's logic.

http://www.4chan.org/rules
>2. You will immediately cease and not continue to access the site if you are under the age of 18.
>>
>>753801
>actually do anything outside or just shitpost all day
black, meet kettle.
Given the shit you've posted I'm guessing you don't actually /out/
Most people are helpful here. You've been nothing but condescending and full of BS stats. It's very impressive you believe that normal people can hike/run through the woods with the sustained speed of a marathon runner and even more impressive that you believe that anyone here believes it.
Shitposting, so easy even a retard can do it.
>>
>>754096
Okay buddy, you'll survive, I promise lol. I'm not mad you don't know.
>>
>>754101
>You've been nothing but condescending and full of BS stats

No, I was very nonchalant, but some anon went full retard defensive for some reason. The only conclusion that I can draw is that he is out of shape and can't do much of anything outdoors.

FYI, marathon running is 13mph or higher on average, not 10mph on average. That's actually a very big difference.

>>754101
>>754104
Samefag.
>>
File: gotme.png (11 KB, 1164x214) Image search: [Google]
gotme.png
11 KB, 1164x214
>>754106
Ya.
>>
File: gotyou.png (59 KB, 1164x643) Image search: [Google]
gotyou.png
59 KB, 1164x643
>>754114
Meaningless.
>>
>>754131
>blatant dual pixelation
k
>>
>>754106
>>754131
I'm
>>754101 for what it's worth. I'm not
>>754104
>>
File: 1461703103541.jpg (65 KB, 567x561) Image search: [Google]
1461703103541.jpg
65 KB, 567x561
>this thread
>>
>>754155
What's happening here? I'm confused that the two above pictures show conflicting information about a samefag.
>>
File: you.png (93 KB, 1072x896) Image search: [Google]
you.png
93 KB, 1072x896
>>754408
Anon shows that a screenshot of the (You) is meaningless since it is so easily shopped.
>>
File: plain_jalapeno_biscuits.jpg (49 KB, 250x188) Image search: [Google]
plain_jalapeno_biscuits.jpg
49 KB, 250x188
>>735521
http://www.packitgourmet.com/
>>
>>754408
Basically he fucked up and literally just cut and pasted mspaint tier. All the pixelation is the same, so it's an obvious edit.

He tried tho lol.
>>
>>754521
That's the joke. These >>754131 are all the same image from the original in >>754114 which has the same pixel artifacts, meaning it too was edited.
>>
>>754525
>the original was edited too because the shoop had the same pixel artifacts as the original
I can see you don't really know how this works.
>>
>>754643
see
>>754479
>>
>>754491
Do people actually buy those things?
>>
>>754479
Other than id's like other boards, is it possible to show you're not samefagging?
Even that has potential to be circumvented. Guess it's not possible.
>>
>>743819
You know you could carry more calories wort of food if you took dried Brown Rice, right? Also, canned Salmon. LOTS of canned Salmon.
>>
>>754750
of course they do.
>>
>>754894
> gives advice on carrying more food
> suggests adding metal
>>
>>743819

faggot ass glamper detected
Thread replies: 198
Thread images: 29

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.