[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Alright /out/ me and my cousin only have one summer to build
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 11
File: Dicks Cave.jpg (297 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
Dicks Cave.jpg
297 KB, 1200x800
Alright /out/ me and my cousin only have one summer to build a log cabin in the upper peninsula of Michigan before i ship out to Europe. Any advice? Thanks you. Also General Log Cabin i spose.
>>
>Fell trees
>Allow to mature for a season
>Build cabin next year when logs are light and dry

Hmm small problem..
>>
Think about this for a second. Do you really think that your ancestors waited a whole season after felling their logs to build their cabin? No. They would die.

Tldr; Modern techniques are much better suited for aged logs. Classic techniques are much better suited for green logs. you're going to have to account for shrinkage when making doors/windows with green logs. Also, the type of log matters for green vs aged. Softer woods are better for green cabins. This also brings on a whole new set of problems for your cabin which you'll have to address though. Softer woods are more prone to decay and disease. You'll need long and steep roof overhangs to protect from the sun and rain. Long roof overhangs mean splash back from rain. you'll have to have it adequately lifted (~24 inches) from the ground to prevent this. Take what i'm saying with a grain of salt though as what you'll need is entirely based on your areas climate.

I'm also in the process of building a cabin though. Keep on researchin and ask me any further questions, I'll try to assist.
>>
File: jimi.jpg (72 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
jimi.jpg
72 KB, 1280x960
>>738808
So where were building it theres going to be an abundant amount of lodging pine - the really tall pine with branches only at the top. Is that a good wood to use?
Pic obviously related.
>>
>>738431
Why are you going to europe?
>>
File: 1449634052586.jpg (85 KB, 573x400) Image search: [Google]
1449634052586.jpg
85 KB, 573x400
>>739025
I said Europe instead of saying France in hopes to avoid that question :(
I got buisness in Paris basically.
>>
>>739002
watch the Dick Proenneke documentary for starters dude
>>
>>739002

Pine is an amazing log to use. I'm not too versed in the specifics of pine, or even green vs aged pine though as I'm not using pine. Do some googling friend. There's tons of log cabin forums with people who have made cabins with green logs of all different varieties.
>>
>>739046
thats what made us want to. But he dried his logs.
>>
>>739062

Can you post?
>>
>>738431
Use a chainsaw ya dingus
>>
File: foxfire.jpg (22 KB, 268x399) Image search: [Google]
foxfire.jpg
22 KB, 268x399
Check out the first foxfire book, even shows splits for the roof, and rock chimney if u need it.
>>
Well considering the snow load on a roof in Michigan I would at least go 16" on center for the rafters. 12" on center if it's going to be a low pitch roof. Add a couple perlings across the rafters on each side to make the entire roof a stronger and less flexible system. And make sure you have a couple strong beams holding up the ridge board.

That's how I'd do the roof anyway.
>>
>>739075
You're just wasting time if you don't have your wood dried before you build.
>>
>>741554
Unless it's hemlock. Hemlock dries super slow and doesn't shrink as significantly as other lumber. So you can build straight from milling.
>>
File: huts-1105x725.jpg (154 KB, 1105x725) Image search: [Google]
huts-1105x725.jpg
154 KB, 1105x725
>>738431
What's the access like? Can you get a truck or an ATV to your building site? If so, then you can use more modern building materials to put up a structure that will actually be warmer in the winter. There are a variety of hut designs out there, but you might enjoy putting up an A-frame or its Gothic equivalent
>>
>>741518
Seconding this. Foxfire books are incredible
>>
File: shelter_shacks_shant.jpg (378 KB, 500x694) Image search: [Google]
shelter_shacks_shant.jpg
378 KB, 500x694
OP and other cabinites check this book out. Dan Beard has tons of designs and full details regarding all the prep technique and assembly and build, step by step. It's got designs of simple lean-to survival shelters all the way up to multi-room living cabins. He has detailed sketches of his own cabin and tbqh Ć’ams puts penis proenneke's to shame.
>>
>>738431
Where are you in the UP?
>>
>>741723
Houghton
>>741574
No power tools what-so-ever but its looking like 2 or three more guys are comming so we got a decent work force. (And maybe an ATV but you didn't hear that from me)
>>741518
Where to cop? Is it all in one book or multiple volumes?
>>
>>741870
You should be able to find a digital version, maybe torrent. The first one will be all you need.
It has a section to make tools too. So you might just want to get you a hard copy.
The moonshining as a art chapter is the best part in all the foxfire books. And that's also in the first book.

Its got pictures of oldsters recreating all this early days stuff. And stories.
>>
File: IMG_20160316_151510_328.jpg (1 MB, 3264x1840) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160316_151510_328.jpg
1 MB, 3264x1840
Choose straight pieces of wood.
measure the depth of notches so the gaps are small.
don't take shortcuts and put in the work.
pic is my love shack and as you can see I did none of these things.
>>
>>741897
yeah were gunna need tight insulation it gets v cold up there and we might only have a wood burning stove for this year.
>>
>europe

well it was nice knowin ya
>>
>>741518
Here are the first 6 books:

https://mega.nz/#F!ipcSlL5b!upCPG5yoA1hV3lic2MAOuA
>>
OP please post a thread while you build and keep it bumped...i want to see this shitshow. Sounds like you have no clue what youre doing.
>>
File: image%3A28609.gif (5 MB, 390x163) Image search: [Google]
image%3A28609.gif
5 MB, 390x163
>>741518
>mfw foxfire is suggested
God-tier books. I have the first 6.
>>
File: lodgepole-pine.jpg (158 KB, 600x900) Image search: [Google]
lodgepole-pine.jpg
158 KB, 600x900
>>739002
lodgepole pine
>>
File: 1460922860786.jpg (47 KB, 290x300) Image search: [Google]
1460922860786.jpg
47 KB, 290x300
>>742002
you could not be more correct. i will.
100% no fucking clue what im doing.
>>
>>739002
Most species of pine grow like that if the stand is properly stocked.
>>
>>738808
Softwoods (conifers) are not inherently more prone to rot, its all dependent on the species.In fact, the resin ducts present in many of them make them more resistant.
>>
>>742052
OP said they're in the U.P. Up there they have Jack pine, White pine, and Red pine (Scotch Pine also). Jack and scotch pines are useless for building.
>>
>>742201
Why are they bad?
>>
>>738808
How can i account for shrinkage with something as permanent as a door? Is there a book?
>>
A few considerations with add ons or upgrades
- build your cabin on a solid mound of dirt, that way you can dig out a small gimp dungeon under the cabin.
- make one bed more structurally sound, this will be your cousins bed, for when you initiate your raping season the bed will not collapse.
- install locks on the inside, you control the entrapment.
- install eyelet hooks in strategic places around cabin to secure your gimp, ie cousin.
>>
File: 1460954558558.jpg (1 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
1460954558558.jpg
1 MB, 2448x3264
>>743343
thank you 4chan
>>
>>739027
alluh ackbar?
>>
>>743327
Well, Jack pine just ted to be really knotty and not very resistant to decay. Scotch Pine (some call it Scots Pine) in introduced from Europe. Although it is naturalized in the U.S. it tend to take on a rather poor form as it ages in North America.
>>
>>745878
What do these trees look like?
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.