[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When shit hits the fan
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 12
File: jgh.png (356 KB, 500x350) Image search: [Google]
jgh.png
356 KB, 500x350
So /out/ how well do you think I will do when shit hits the fan? I want to make sure I'm prepared just in case

I have crossbows with plenty of ammunition, air rifles, ect. I live in the east of England where the land is quite marshy, and I have river which is only around 600 metres from my house. I don't think I will necessarily need to stock up on food, as the land near me has a shit tonne of rabbits and other edible animals that would be easy to hunt.

Pic related, a sub section of the river.
>>
For what scenario?
>>
Preppers are the most ridiculous people. Like children who never grew out of that 'zombie apocalypse' fantasy.

The world ain't gonna turn Mad Max, like ever. Human society is retarded yeah but we're not cannibals. The worst that'll happen during an economic collapse is maybe you won't be able to buy food for a month, MAYBE, but the idea that everyone's gonna be running around killing and robbing each other is plain ludicrous.

We have the resources, the problem is the system that allocates them is fragile and needs to be replaced, which is doable. At most it'll be a month or so of turmoil and then people's paychecks will start coming back in and everything will keep running as it always has.
>>
>>734625
If shit hits the fan you'll be ded m8
>>
>>734676
There's nothing wrong with prepping a few days/weeks worth of food in case of a natural disaster and power goes out. But those people that spend tens of thousands of dollars on years worth of dehydrated food, a $100K storage container bunker, shit ton of guns, etc. are nothing more than consumerists. They wouldn't survive a zombie apocalypse or "civil war" anyways, because those situations would be all about moving and self sufficiency, not sitting on your ass all day in a storage container.
>>
>>734625

http://www.naturalnews.com/040249_bosnia_preppers_survival_strategies.html

ignore all the clickbait adds and crap, but the article seems pretty decent.
>>
>>734625
Watch it m8 one more style and I can triangul8 your position
>>
>>734625
It will depend entirely on your interactions with your local community. If you are alienating yourself and being a loner you will end poorly. Go out right now and start making connections and new friends. Start with your closest neighbors and work outwardly from there. Also, reacquaint yourself with your family members.

Not doing this is the #1 failure of disaster planning from storm readiness to zombie apocalypse.

>>734676
>Preppers are the most ridiculous people.

People who make blanket statements are retarded.
>>
>>734676
>The worst that'll happen during an economic collapse is maybe you won't be able to buy food for a month, MAYBE, but the idea that everyone's gonna be running around killing and robbing each other is plain ludicrous.

Must be nice living in a fantasy land. That shit happens every ten years in some places. Why do you think the word "refugee" even exists?
>>
>>734625
>>>734625

>lives in 81st biggest country by landmass
>lives in 31st most populated country
>thinks he's the only one who will be trying to 'survive off the land'

kek.

Stop dreaming.

AT MOST within the UK there is about a weeks worth of food to support the pop, after that it'll be murder and looting, assuming a total collapse.

You're obviously a kid.
>>
>>734676
I imagine it will be like living in Africa
>>
>>734625
>I don't think I will necessarily need to stock up on food, as the land near me has a shit tonne of rabbits and other edible animals that would be easy to hunt.
Dont bank on this philosophy.
Biochemical weapons could be used to take all of those resources away from you.
>>
File: 1458376796559.jpg (197 KB, 1170x488) Image search: [Google]
1458376796559.jpg
197 KB, 1170x488
>>734676
>The worst that'll happen during an economic collapse is maybe you won't be able to buy food for a month, MAYBE, but the idea that everyone's gonna be running around killing and robbing each other is plain ludicrous.

You really think if people couldn't buy food for a month or even weeks that there wouldn't be widespread chaos? I think in metropolitan areas and suburbs a lot of people would be running around robbing and killing each other.
>>
>>735321
>I think in metropolitan areas and suburbs a lot of people would be running around robbing and killing each other.

That is already a thing and there isn't even a crisis of any kind going on.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_cities_by_crime_rate_%282014%29
>Rates are based on cases per 100,000 people for all of calendar year 2014.

See how St. Louis is top of the murder rate? 49 deaths per 100k people. Now, any one "event" that happens which has a death toll of 49 people is pretty big news, but this is 49.9 people per 100k people (about 1 out of every 2k people I think), around 158 murders. I can't even imagine living someplace where there's 158 murders happening in a single year. That's fucking insane.

I can't even begin to imagine how shitty things would be if there's no food for a month nation wide. There'd be mass exoduses though. People roaming all over the country sides in all rural areas looking for food and shelter. It'd look like a kicked anthill. Solo preppers would be overrun, even in the most hardened bunkers, but people doing community prepping will at least have a chance to hold their ground if needed and defend.

Let's hope that doesn't happen.
>>
>>735288
this. I'm old enough to have lived through a few of the times when things in the UK got a little outside of the norm, nothing compared to other places in the world, we can't cope with a few inches of snow for more than a few days. one of those times has stuck with me because it caused the biggest impact I can remember

fuel

I can remember back to when the fuel tanker drivers went on strike in 2000. and the UK basically ground to halt. we ended up with school being cancelled because the delivery trucks for the school cafeteria didn't have the fuel to run, teachers couldn't get in on their commutes, the public transport depots ran dry and the ambulance service went begging to farms to use red diesel farmers had stashed away.

the local supermarket was open, but all of the fresh produce was gone within a couple of days, and after a week it looked like one of those sketchy '3 tins on a shelf' caravan site shops. in the past 15 years people have become a lot more cuntish and I don't think it would be anywhere near as orderly and restrained as it was back then- you've got all these twats buying crossbows from blades and bows running around now thinking the zombies are about to rise ect it wouldn't be a good thing

even if there are supplies available then getting them safely to stores without it getting ugly would be some feat
>>
File: 213213.png (243 KB, 920x319) Image search: [Google]
213213.png
243 KB, 920x319
>remove farming and agriculture from individual homes
>desegregate the food supply using massive industrialized monocrop farming and CAFOs
>do this for enough generations that people no longer have the innate ability to be self sustaining

>remove their food supply for x amount of time for x reasons
>famine
>increased murders
>loss of knowledge and technology

If you want to prevent this sort of thing from happening. Become more self sufficient. You don't need to be a crazy prepper. You only need to be a farmer. Get your family, your neighbors, and your friends to farm. Go online and convince as many people as you can to start backyard vegetable gardens, raise a few chickens, goats, and grow the feed for their animal. Visit the Homegrowmen threads, >>728230 and learn how to grow/raise food. Segregate the food supply. Make is more resilient to disaster.
>>
File: image.jpg (58 KB, 419x286) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
58 KB, 419x286
>>735369
Not sure if the HOA will like the chickens and goats
>>
>>734676
nigga you dumb, SHTF can refer to a personal situation going South as well as a regional, national or even global.
I 'prep' for being underpaid or losing my job, just a bit more food in the cupboards than you would normally have and the skills and tools to hunt and forage and your life is that much better than before.
>>
>>734784
kissing gates are okay, right?
>>
File: 1460220577910(1).jpg (168 KB, 798x580) Image search: [Google]
1460220577910(1).jpg
168 KB, 798x580
>>735288
>there is about a weeks worth of food to support the pop
you don't work in retail, do you?
there is two days worth of standard food in a shop, then maybe three or four of canned goods, this is assuming that people are shopping at a normal rate instead of panic buying which tears through stock levels like a lorry driver on a coke binge.
half of the people I know are too scared to eat anything that doesn't have a sell by date, of the others half again wouldn't know how to purify water (beyond 'boil it') or how to snare a rabbit or gut a fish without contaminating the meat.
>>
>>735369
>If you want to prevent this sort of thing from happening. Become more self sufficient.
I always felt that this was the real reason for gun control, with a gun you don't need the police 'right fucking now!' or the supermarket to increase your food supply.
Cucking a population through dissarmament is going to be pretty effective at keeping them from rebelling too far.
>>
>>735372
All it takes is to lobby them with money, just like everyone else does to get shit done or changed.
>>
>>735376
Nigga YOU dumb, because you're adding your own definitions to an already established phrase.

Planning for a SHTF situation and planning for a job loss are two different things.

>>735383
Actually I do. My point isn't to quibble over 2 days or 7 days, my point is that stockpiling isn't a thing, theres a constant supply and demand and as soon as that chain is broken the amount of food available is most definitely finite and most definitely not enough.
>>
>>735546
No, those two things aren't entirely different.

Here's a question, do you think people planning for SHTF should plan for 1 year of staying below grounds?

No?

Then everyone who preps plans for different scenarios. One such scenario is the one that they're actually likely to have to deal with. ~2 weeks of extremely reduced city services due to hurricane/earthquake/tornado/tsunami or some such.
>>
>>734625
>I don't think I will necessarily need to stock up on food, as the land near me has a shit tonne of rabbits and other edible animals that would be easy to hunt.
It's worth noting that the great depression absolutely decimated wild game populations in the states, which is actually why silencers were originally added to the NFA, to help curb poaching.
You also can't survive on lean game indefinitely and you would need to be eating the fatty organs and marrow to delay the onset of fat starvation.
>>734763
That story has been confirmed as bullshit but it still makes an occasional coherent point.
>>
>>734625

Agreed. But, why would I go after a scrawny rabbit when I can have one 23 million or so sheep that are in the UK. This has it's downsides too. The UK is a nation of people where practical skills have been bred out of society since the early 80s- people have no fucking clue about meat unless it's pre-packed on a supermarket shelf here now. In fact if they are under about 30 I'd be shocked if they could tell apart more that 'steak' 'leg' or chops' cuts wise. Dumbasses would decimate the population in a couple months thoughtlessly, and end up wasting most of the meat because they didn't know how to butcher and preserve it. Then were back to this>>734625 little chuckle brother wanting to live off bunnies

The sheer volume of food you'd need to collect on a daily basis is more than a little daunting, it's a fucking eyeopener, even more when you factor in most foraged stuff is very, VERY seasonal
>>
>>735697
>The sheer volume of food you'd need to collect on a daily basis is more than a little daunting, it's a fucking eyeopener, even more when you factor in most foraged stuff is very, VERY seasonal

This is very true. It is the very reason why we need to prep together and not alone. Division of labor and skills is what got us to the top in the first place. Tossing that out the window will be our and any single person's downfall.
>>
>>734676
>The world ain't gonna turn Mad Max, like ever.
I wouldn't bet on that. Our current level of food production is dependent on diesel powered farm equipment and chemical fertilizers and pesticides. Unless we develop viable fusion power before the oil runs out (and sooner or later it will), there's going to be a global famine and things are going to get very bad. Renewable energy sources can only support around 500,000,000 people globally at our consumption levels, and there's no way around that because it's limited by how much energy the sun puts out.
>>
File: 1437589078730.jpg (3 MB, 2500x3334) Image search: [Google]
1437589078730.jpg
3 MB, 2500x3334
>>734625
Seems great. Always stock up on food though, if there is an extremely bad winter and flooding and you can't find a rabbit for 3 days you might regret "i don't think I will necessarily need to stock up on food" You won't need much but you will need more than the average person.

>>735288
Most people will be forced into government camps and controlled areas. If there is a worldwide collapse then most large cities and towns would be bombed. Most people would die of starvation, disease, cold or fighting before they reach the countryside.

And in the countryside, almost everyone owns firearms such as rifles and shotguns. This will be a lot better than shoddy melee weapons and a very rare pistol or crossbow.
>>735369
Based as fuck. This man gets it.
>>
>>735712
>peak oil meme

stop please
>>
Puhlease. I'm pro renewables but fossil fuels are NOT gonna run out any time soon. If they were then everybody INCLUDING big oil would be jumping on the renewables bandwagon.
>>
File: 1449449636262.gif (2 MB, 350x283) Image search: [Google]
1449449636262.gif
2 MB, 350x283
>>735321
No that never happens, people are far more inclined to help each other out when stuff like that happens. Even during the 20s yeah you'd have some robbing but not to the extent people think an economic collapse would be like. Especially in America, we would have the effects so nerffed we wouldn't even realize it if someone didn't tell us - the national guard would basically coddle us until we were up and running again. we would have to be getting fucked from and internal and external force for anything apocalyptic to happen.
>>
>>735664
Actually the story isn't bullshit and was originally posted to a forum. The reason everyone thinks it's bullshit is because some dude made a website that sells SHTF "guides" and uses Selco's story as an advertising platform.
>>
>>736231
Yea you don't realise that the deterioration of the family has caused everyone to only look out for themselves.

Just look at niggers, all of them are fathers but none of them are dads.

When it happened in the 20's everyone had their families to look out for

If it happens now, you will have niggers to look out for.

Tl;Dr
Niggers are why this country isn't great again.
>>
>>734676
Even if you think prepping is stupid you should still have a 72 hour kit. Every household should have at least that.
>>
>>734625
Why is nobody making fun of op for owning a fucking crossbow?
Crossbows are terrible weapons for the modern world. Even a recurve bow is 100x better.
What, did you watch walking dead and now think you're going to be killing shit left and right?
Have fun shooting one arrow every minute
>>
>>734676
>Preppers are the most ridiculous people.

>>734795
>People who make blanket statements are retarded.

Delicious irony
>>
>>734676
You are being almost retardedly nieve.

We kill each other over petty shit every day and we're not even hungry yet.

Just wait till those bellies start to rumble.
>>
Wow I always thought this situation was way more likely. Imagine a solar flare that wipes several satalites which thus bring down the internet. 90% of america would not know how to get food when the grocery stores are empty, most don't live near clean water. I think if internet went out for a couple weeks shit would hit the fan way faster than people think. Factoring in crazy starving people. Either way I choose to be trained survivalist but not a prepared dooms dayer.
>>
>>734729
This. Reasonable disaster preparedness is fine and rational. Dedicating your life to the great happening is retarded. We had a big snowstorm come through last year and you would be amazed at how many people had nothing when the power went out.
>>
>>734625
have prepared/eat out of the packaging food for a week to a month/dehydrated to save space. Put water jugs in your deep freezer, both to increase its efficiency and to prolong the freeze on a power outage. Alternative power sources, generally hand crank and solar/heat/etc. Maybe a stove of some kind and fuel. One or two light sources and a radio.

Light, food, water, communication(usb power cell phone/radio/tv/computer), entertainment, and you should already have shelter.
Growing your own food, breeding and slaughtering your own animals, and canning/etc really only help if you live in the country and not the cities. Then you have your retirement costs reduced(food, water, exercise, clothing(sheep), fuel,etc). You be the old dood living the dream instead of the old guy living pay-stub to shrinking pay-stub.
>>
>>734625
he lives because he is scared of his death
>>
>>736185
How can anyone disagree about peak oil? You can disagree on the timing. Maybe there's enough oil for increasing production over the next 500 years, maybe for the next 15 before the decline in production starts but unless you're a nutbag that believes in abiogenic oil, peak oil is pretty obvious.
>>
>>735712
>Unless we develop viable fusion power before the oil runs out
While I understand the benefits of fusion over fission, why does fusion have to happen before oil runs out? We'd happily use fission, downsides and all, rather than lose modern civilization.
>>
File: under-sea-cable-map.png (715 KB, 968x575) Image search: [Google]
under-sea-cable-map.png
715 KB, 968x575
>>739229
Civilization and supply lines worked before the internet. Certainly there would be big problems because we've adjusted most of our supply systems to be Just-in-time with very little slack in them but we could go back to the old ways. The transition however would be chaotic and miserable. Also the internet doesn't rely on satellites. They're just one part of it. If they disappear, things would continue to chug along everywhere other than the more remote areas. Most of the internet flows over physical cables.
>>
>>736533
There's nothing wrong with using crossbows.

For the UK, a crossbow is good. It can be high powered, doesn't need as much practice as a bow does, will take out the largest animals in the UK if it's got a reasonable poundage, and you can wait for a long time with it being drawn (unlike a bow).
>>
>>734676

Depends ENTIRELY on what they are prepping for, and the extent of the prep.

People who make aggressive, broad generalizations are obviously mad about personal problems and also stupid.
>>
>>739563
Hunting takes skill, one that is lost on probably 99.9% of people living in the UK, do you really think that OP and his crossbow will have developed that skill (stalking, learning to shoot accurately beyond 10m, maintenance- because I'll fucking bet he doesn't have more than one string for that crossbow, and doest lubricate the rail ) before he loses the dozen or so bolts he has for it into the hedge at the bottom of his Gran's back garden? At best a crossbow is a visual deterrent to other humans.

>>739548
I hear you mate, it is a real thing. I don't think it will be an issue in my lifetime ( I'm into my mid 30s, and by my guess I have another 40 years left in me) but give it another 2 maybe 3 at the most generations I think things will be very different. The next 100 years is going to be fucked up, its one of the main reasons me and the wife aren't having kids
>>
>>739563
Well, modern compound bows have like 80% let-off so they can stay drawn for a while also.
>>
File: 1449967824143.png (934 KB, 513x1117) Image search: [Google]
1449967824143.png
934 KB, 513x1117
Thank you Discovery Channel's Doomsday Prepper for airing the most mentally bereft individuals on your sensationalist TV show so that normal storm prepper is now a mocked activity.
>>
File: 1435795777193.jpg (74 KB, 960x640) Image search: [Google]
1435795777193.jpg
74 KB, 960x640
>>743177
I don't know OP, he might have some skill in hunting. I've hunted before, hunting rabbits isn't very difficult, especially with a crossbow.

>>743216
It depends on your preference, crossbow, compound bow, recurve, longbow, etc?
>>
>>735372
Just become richer than everyone in the neighborhood and start buying a few houses a year in the neighborhood. Before you know it you are the HOA
>>
>>743509

1st up hunting with bows of any kind in the UK has been illegal since 89, so unless he's in his 50s now are he's only likely to have ever shot at shoe boxes ect. If you have hunted with crossbows/bows you'll know what happens if you hit a small fragile bunny with a something like a 75kg draw bow....that again says enough about the hunting knowledge on this thread.

OP has stated:

>land near me has a shit tonne of rabbits and other edible animals that would be easy to hunt

WOULD as in he's never hunted there or he'd have said ARE. even with his air rifles...

He's from the UK odds are he's never hunted more than a large donner meat and chips on the way home from the pub on a Friday night.
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.