[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Could you survive on your own /innawoods/ with literally nothing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 22
File: Screenshot_2015-11-02-10-43-05.png (3 MB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-11-02-10-43-05.png
3 MB, 2560x1440
Could you survive on your own /innawoods/ with literally nothing to your name but your body like Mr primitive technology man over here?
>>
To be fair he admits that he's really only in the bush for about 8 hours at a time, he goes home. Even the small hut he made he said took him 3 days combined, but he stretched it out over a month.

That being said, maybe. Anyone smart enough to bang rocks into trees can harvest wood, but then you need fire making, water collecting, cordage crafting, shelter building, and you do it all while your stomach growls louder and louder and you have to look for food. It's obviously not impossible but you'd need the right skills and the ability to prioritize, which not many people would have if they were truly "stranded" and had to make it with absolutely nothing.
>>
As has been mentioned in similar threads, most people probably could not because the amount of physical work you'd have to do versus the amount of food you'd need to gather to make that work possible means you'd succumb to malnutrition or starvation.

Humans work best in groups. One person can be building shelter, another gathering or cutting wood, another fishing or hunting and another gathering berries or roots. That way at the end of the day everyone has food, warmth and shelter and no one had to go in to severe calorie deficit to achieve it.
>>
>>622980
This. Humans are just not equipped to survive unless they're in a group. Yes it happens in rare cases, but as a species, we're meant to be social.
>>
>>622984
The best part is that if you're in a well organized group you don't just survive, but actually thrive.

Anthro/archeo evidence suggests that hunter/gatherer communities usually only spent about half their days working and the rest of the time enjoying things like music, art and dance.

And if people go fully agricultural, the amount of free time they have goes down and their society becomes more stratified, but the surplus of food they are able to generate makes all kinds of technological innovations possible.
>>
And don't even get me started on what happens when two groups of humans start trading.

Like if winter's coming and my group is running low on food but we have extra deer hides, and your group has a surplus of sweet potatoes but not everybody has warm clothes....man, the possibilities are endless.

OK, there's really only a few possibilities. Like you give sweet potatoes and I give you hides and we high five, or I sneak in to your camp at night, stab you and take your sweet potatoes.....and maybe your sister.
>>
File: mezoli6.jpg (80 KB, 880x664) Image search: [Google]
mezoli6.jpg
80 KB, 880x664
>>622988

Fuck anarcho primitivists

http://theanarchistlibrary.org/library/ted-kaczynski-the-truth-about-primitive-life-a-critique-of-anarchoprimitivism.pdf

That "working half their days" is a myth
>>
>>623002
dude's been pretty busy in prison I see
>>
File: tediie.jpg (95 KB, 500x392) Image search: [Google]
tediie.jpg
95 KB, 500x392
>>623008
he's based
>>
I dont think he could either calories are a bitch especially when building like that.
>>
I think I could. I've played Minecrat on highest difficulty survival mode. You start with nothing and using the skills I learned in the game I think if I was dropped off into the wild I have learned enough to make it. Start with crude wood tools that would allow me to make stone axes, finally smelting iron tools (I know diamond tools are not realistic of course). Food would be grown or foraged from wildlife as available. Even making fishing poled from stick and bits of cobweb would keep me fed. Shelter would be a simple hole or cave at first with a small furnace for light/cooking/smelting of ores.
>>
File: 1438676116347.jpg (27 KB, 397x400) Image search: [Google]
1438676116347.jpg
27 KB, 397x400
>>623166
>>
File: 1444645091822.png (307 KB, 524x658) Image search: [Google]
1444645091822.png
307 KB, 524x658
>>623166
baka
*creeps up behind you and slashes you in half with katana made of black metal*

Psht, better luck next time, kid.
>>
No I couldn't.
>>
>>622971
>on your own
No human could. Not even the most socially outcast autist.
>>
>>622971
almost definitely no, unless i killed others for supplies
>>
File: KILL THE JEWS.png (2 MB, 1344x1709) Image search: [Google]
KILL THE JEWS.png
2 MB, 1344x1709
>>623184
>>
>>623002
well gee, that sounds like a reliable source
>>
I could build a decent shelter for myself but I would starve and, come winter, freeze.

I'm not a proficient hunter, I don't know enough about flora and fauna and horticulture and mushroomology to scrounge for food, i can't make a fire without technology, or at least a lot of work with a flint & steel. i could fashion a decent shelter but without food or heat i'd be dead right quick. i would need more supplies than just my bare ass in the woods.

i feel like a desert island would be easier, assuming it rained enough to collect water. at least you have the ocean right there teeming with life.
>>
Your best bet would be sub-tropical mainland. Somewhere with mild winters, a variety of edible flora and near a coast or large body of water.

Of course the warmer and wetter the climate means more food sources, but also an increased risk of disease and parasites.
>>
>>622988
someone actually believes this?
>>
>>623725
if you even tried to read his paper you would find references to works that real anthropologists use
>>
>>623842
What, you mean someone actually believes that agricultural societies created a surplus of food that allows for specialization of skills that leads to technological advancement?

That's outlandish!
>>
>>623848
>hunter/gatherer communities usually only spent about half their days working and the rest of the time enjoying things like music, art and dance
>if people go fully agricultural, the amount of free time they have goes down

do you really believe this?
>>
>>623851
I've read some good articles on both sides of the fence, so I'm open to the idea that it's possible but not universal.

It's definitely true that hunter gather groups do not create the kind of food surplus necessary to advance beyond rudimentary technologies.
>>
>>622971
No way. I get super woozy after less than a day if I don't get enough fluids. I would pretty much have a 2 day window to find water, find a container that can be heated, and make a fire. My saving grace would be if I find a water source I can drink straight from but that is rolling the dice if i get sick and start vomiting / diarrhea its game over.
>>
On my own? No. As are most humans, I'm a social person and require other humans around to be physically and mentally healthy.
>>
>>623671
>can't own semi-auto rifles
>get a life bin that knife
>can't own handgun without pants-on-head retardedly long barrel and random piece of metal sticking out the back
>Tony Martin
>routinely keked by "refugees"
We get it, you wish you were American
>>
>>622988
Im leaning with this.

>>623002
I've read a bit and its just not adding up to me. How easy it is to survive depends on the location right. In the amazon and other abundant areas I bet its very easy to survive.

Even here in England I could survive off rabits, deer, foxes, birds. They're bloody everywhere.
After them there is always insects, plants and all sorts. Even fruit in warmer countries.
>>
>>623862
drinking from a source wont make you sick. Only if you drink from somewhere other than the source you are rolling the dice.

Mybe with practice the body could take more contaminated wters.
>>
I like to think so

>morning time, get innawoods
>get good camp stick
>spend time digging tubers and roots, gathering edible herbs and nuts from my area
This is assuming I'm in the bush I know, ofc
>when I've got enough food for a day, set up camp
>break boughs and make bed, set up lean-to
>collect tinder, set up a campfire
>camp done, go looking for water

Assuming I even find water I have nothing to put it in and no way to purify it so I'd have to drink at the source and pray away the bubble guts. By this time it's probably night so I return to camp and light my fire, eat some more dirty nuts and berries and try to sleep in my stick bed.

From then on, if I'm not dying by day two or three, try to harvest bark from the birches I live by and then twist cord from them, and try to make a more permanent home.

This is all fueled by foraged food and crafted using likely rocks and woods, ie, a total crap shoot. The knowledge is technically there, but in application, one person is pretty fucked all alone innawoods.
>>
>>623166
>sees tree
>punches it
>breaks fist
>crawls into standard /r9k/ fetal position until found by dad who's mowing the lawn
>>
File: 1444836543037.png (1 MB, 1889x2441) Image search: [Google]
1444836543037.png
1 MB, 1889x2441
>>624950
>muh rifles

yup, shitty laws

>muh knife bin

not even made by uk government, LITERALLY only in paki areas

>muh handgun

shit laws

>tony martin

used an illegal gun

>refugees

not taking em, country is 99% white

>wish you were american

67.1 white (including mexicans)

kek, our laws are shit but we're more white than you. Jew
>>
File: 1422646948146.png (471 KB, 1898x718) Image search: [Google]
1422646948146.png
471 KB, 1898x718
>>625167
>yfw britcücksmight have a white majority bit they have literally no defense against the muslim hordes
>yfw britcücks are literally converting to Islam to hasten the melty melty

Do you trust in allah too?
>>
File: ayy.png (78 KB, 889x629) Image search: [Google]
ayy.png
78 KB, 889x629
>>625179
>tfw everyone in the countryside owns weapons and hates muslims

>tfw nigel farage will become leader and kick all muslims out of the UK

>tfw germany, sweden and france have more muslims than the UK

>tfw baltimore riots are STILL GOING ON
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-11-06-09-25-23.png (124 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-11-06-09-25-23.png
124 KB, 1280x720
>>625167
>not taking em, country is 99% white

Top fucking kek.
>>
File: 1445080867677.png (2 MB, 1417x1417) Image search: [Google]
1445080867677.png
2 MB, 1417x1417
>>625615
I obviously mean the countryside, not the cities, jew
>>
>>625622
nando's is great, british food would suck ass if it weren't for all the asians
>>
>>625622

>I mean my cherry picked areas, as compared to your entire country.

I can count the minorities I've ever met on one hand, your just full of shit.
>>
File: 1444944135534.gif (4 MB, 536x500) Image search: [Google]
1444944135534.gif
4 MB, 536x500
>>625680
british food is good, hearty and fills you up. not as good as a cheeky nandos but still tasty.

>>625698

>I can count the minorities I've ever met on one hand, your just full of shit.
suuuure

67.1 white oh i am laffin
>>
>>625700
they're all in border states and the east coast
>>
File: cropped-primitive-tech-logo_web.png (704 KB, 1285x282) Image search: [Google]
cropped-primitive-tech-logo_web.png
704 KB, 1285x282
>>625066
once you find water, look for clay soil, shape it into a pot, let it dry and then build a fire around it. Primitive Technology dude does this all the time in his videos.
>>
Maybe if I had books about the local flora and fauna.
I don't really feel like trying which frogs are poisonous or not like the settlers did.
There's only one of me.
>>
>>623184
I have a $10 knife that looks much more brutal than most of what they consider "weapons".
I use it for carving wood.
>>
Probably easier than most, but I suspect I'd eventually succumb to nature's ravages. I'm assuming though, that I'm not just waking up naked in the middle of nowhere, and I've got clothes, my knife, and my lighter which are legitimately my EDC because as a smoker, I don't leave the house without a bic anyway.

As far as social requirements go, I'm probably more autistic than most, and the main reason I go camping is so I can be alone for a couple of weeks, too deep into the woods to ever see another human being... so, yeah.
>>
>>625716
All non whites are in cities in the southeast or midlands.

>>625761
it's only cityfags. plenty of survivalists who walk around with knives in /countryside/
>>
>>625799
We all succumb to nature anon. Eventually.
>>
This thread makes me wonder, when do you officially classify as a "survivalist?"

I'm reasonably confident in my skills to survive in the woods for at least a short to moderate amount of time, enough to get out of trouble or hole up for a bit. but I don't really consider myself a survivalist.

When does survival become an "ism"?
>>
>>626110
When your ego outweighs your knowledge.

I've rode eighty miles on a bicycle to get to the lake with only what I could carry and stayed two weeks, I've gone out with nothing but a knife and a lighter and been out for three nights, I've climbed 15000 feet over fifteen miles in a day with a week's worth of food, and I have no doubt in my mind that I could live off the land with just my EDC for any extended period of time. I'm not an expert, I'm a hobbyist. And I take time every day to learn, because I'm smart enough to know that I don't know enough.
>>
>>625121
i laughed my dick right off my body
>>
>>626110
i think someone who does survival shit for the sole purpose of doing it (and maybe rip people off on the side)
>>
>>626137
It beats working for some other scam artist.
>>
>>623851
considering how hunting works it makes sense that they didn't spend all day every day hunting
>>
>>625194
>>625622
>>625700
>>625804
Our country's white population outnumbers your ENTIRE NATIONS' population.

I knew brits are inbreds but I foolishly assumed you could still do basic arithmetic.

60.7% of 300m > 89% of 60m
>>
>>622980
>most people probably could not because the amount of physical work you'd have to do
>Humans work best in groups

Disagree.
I have found that /out/-life works best alone. It is easy to hunt for myself and I don't need a big shelter. I also need less firewood when alone than when with friends.

When hunting I found I manage better alone because the more people the more noise and that scares away the game. I also need a lot less calories than most /out/-people because most with the interest are burly men, while I am a 104 lbs woman. Less calories less hunting less work. With more people I will be forced to work more than usual to feed their mouths, since their calorie needs are bigger than mine.

The 'people work best in groups' theory also neglects the amount of drama and gossip people (both genders) bring with them and the trouble people will have with sharing work and responsibilities. Me being a woman stand at risk at being exposed to retarded 'alpha' men forcibly taking charge, which limits my access to the groups resources.

The biggest challenge I would find would be the long term survival w changing seasons and such. Preparing for winter would require a lot of work, even if I had a proper shelter/cabin from start. Guess I would settle in an area with a large amount wood that could be burned fresh. Then I wouldn't have to think about storing firewood for winter, as this is an epic ton of work on top of everything else.
>>
File: 1446107103434.jpg (119 KB, 599x781) Image search: [Google]
1446107103434.jpg
119 KB, 599x781
>>626815
>what are statistics
>>
File: image_52.jpg (73 KB, 413x395) Image search: [Google]
image_52.jpg
73 KB, 413x395
>>626837
>oh no, he pointed out that I can't do percentages
>better reference the confederate flag!

Top kek, I win.

180mil is greater than 50mil, and no amount of feckless whining or John-Oliver-esque passive-aggressive-greentexting will change it. You DO know how to determine what 60% of 300 million is...right?
>>
File: 2i256dy.jpg (525 KB, 761x1599) Image search: [Google]
2i256dy.jpg
525 KB, 761x1599
>>626843
pick out 100 people from the UK, 87.1 will be white

pick out 100 people from the US, 67.1 will be white

statistics friend

Also john oliver is a c-u-c-k anti gun faggot
>>
File: Gideon_Bolotowsky.jpg (3 MB, 2645x2738) Image search: [Google]
Gideon_Bolotowsky.jpg
3 MB, 2645x2738
>Could you survive on your own /innawoods/ with literally nothing to your name but your body like Mr primitive technology man over here?
>thread full of island slavs and americacks arguing who's whitest
>>
>>626893
You're wholly incapable of doing percentages, how is anything you say valid?

>60.7 % of 300mil > 80% of 60mil

^Literally nothing you can say will never change this fact.^

You can try and retreat to sample sizes of 100, but we still have more whites than your entire overall population.

Stay mad, lad.
>>
File: 200qwx4.jpg (46 KB, 420x331) Image search: [Google]
200qwx4.jpg
46 KB, 420x331
>>626922
"our country has more whites than you entire population, therefore it's the whitest in the world!"

I guess my country is whiter than norway since we have a bigger population, right? No, that's bullshit.

>>626910
I didn't start it bro
>>
>>626929
>"our country has more whites than you entire population, therefore it's the whitest in the world!"

I never said that. You really must be getting nervestruck if you're resorting to putting words in my mouth.
>>
File: bantz.jpg (32 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
bantz.jpg
32 KB, 500x500
>>626933
>can't take the bantz
>>
File: lucid - saint frankenstien.jpg (780 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
lucid - saint frankenstien.jpg
780 KB, 800x800
Anyone got a link to this album?
>>
>>626834
>retarded 'alpha' men forcibly taking charge
Beat them to death with sticks. Eat their insides to gain their power. Level up.
>>
hell yeah you just gotta SCIENCE THE SHIT OUT OF IT
>>
>>626834
You get a huge amount of admiration and respect from me. Not that I suppose you need it, but you get it regardless. I'm the loner type, too. It takes a lot of knowledge and skill, not to mention mental fortitude, to do everything by yourself. Good luck, happy trails.
>>
>>626834
drama and gossip is not just the sign of tension and frustration and human cuntiness it is a way to resolve your frustration by talking about it and help some form of group resolution without direct confrontation which is dangerous to both individuals and the group.
>>
>>627037
better if you believe one tenth of tall tales
women managing on their own sounds highly improbably there is like 100 on the entire world that can actually do it. unlikely one is in this very thread.
i mean it's not impossible human smarts can overcome many difficulties and physical limitations. a grown woman is not much worse off strength and endurance wise than a teenage male. it's more of an issue of them not knowing shit about stuff they would need to know and not having the mind to innovate or come up with out of box solutions when required.
a woman that knows her outdoors shit can probably survive for some time if she plays a smart game.

but humans do work best in groups. and not just that. i don't know how much scripted the island second season was but it seems democracy / anarchy (or everyone doing whatever they feel like and talking about their feelings and shit) does not fucking work in a survival situation. it was funny to see how the woman turned their entire shit around in 3 days after starving for 37 once they elected a leader.
>>
>>627062
>drama and gossip is a way to resolve by talking about it without direct confrontation which is dangerous to both individuals and the group.

>Prefers to talk behind peoples back because coward.
>>
>>627070
kek how brave of you to talk smack to me anonymously.
anyways you are wrong and only utter fucktard morons get confrontational about every little shit. especially when there is nothing to possibly gain either way. no. normal people just bitch about what annoys them to deal with their own frustration like civilized people do.
it's interesting to observe this pattern i try to keep the gossip down but sometimes i realize in retrospect i did participate in it anyways.
>>
>>627077
>drama and gossip is a way to resolve by talking about it without direct confrontation which is dangerous to both individuals and the group.

>Direct contact with people is dangerous.
>>
>>627081
learn to read asshat seriously.

direct confrontation is dangerous.
sometimes you just know if you get in the face of a guy about something there gonna be physical altercation.
even if you are not afraid and let me tel you there is very few people i ever met i'm worried about this way the consequences can be severe.
the most obvious being you get fired doesn't matter if you were right or wrong.
in a survival situation it's even worse.
>>
>>627089
>direct confrontation is dangerous.

>Bodyslam
>>
>>627090
yeah that is whats dangerous.
no hospitals no mris even knocking a head on the ground can be life threatening doesn't have to be a serious mauling.
i truly think humans developed these social "niceties" to minimize or avoid these situations as much as possible and it strengthened the group not weakened it.
is it disgusting and annoying? sure. but it works out in a strange way. openly talking about shit that bothers people works even better of course but you need the right kind of people with the right kind of mind for that. mostly i see that people that get told off in front of everyone get humiliated and tent to harbor that resentment quiet a lot. and more often then not pay back with interest.
>>
>>627069
Humans in general may work best in groups, but not all of us do. Personally, I don't function well under leadership. On my own, I'm the only person I have to worry about. My mind is clear of distraction and I can focus on what's most important to me in that moment, without stopping to meet the requirements of normal people, like socialization.

As far as the sexualism, I couldn't care less. I wasn't complimenting her because as a woman she rose to a man's level, I was complimenting her because that shit is tough for anyone and she accomplished something that most people, (men included) are incapable of doing, which is letting go of sexism and learning everything she needs to do to be out on her own.

Most of you guys out there, I bet don't know how to rove, spin and knit your own own clothing. Most women out there don't know how to hunt, trap and snare. But anyone who knows how to do both is going to have a lot more going for them than someone who's so caught up about gender roles that they neglect survival skills.
>>
>>627102
>I don't function well under leadership
i thought i was the same turns out with the right leadership it works out just fine
still the moment i meet an unreasonable stupid fuckhead in charge i tend to throw in the towel and opt out the game too
sometimes i can't then i tend to take charge one way or an other better to lead than to follow an overconfident imbecile
>>
>>627113
You made chuckle. I'd like to say that I'm the take charge type too, but realistically, it usually goes "Hey, this is a better way, let me show you why. You still want to follow the idiot? Okay, later." But then, I'm the guy who pretty much opted out of society as a whole, and neither work nor socialize, instead staying /out/ as much as possible.
>>
>>625700
>>I can count the minorities I've ever met on one hand, your just full of shit.
>suuuure

You do realize the browns and asians live in the cities and suburbs right? We had 3 black kids in my school, and they were all one family. I also met my cousins chinese roommate at christmas one year. America is a white nation once the population density drops and you start seeing corn fields.
>>
File: 1446136745111.jpg (126 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
1446136745111.jpg
126 KB, 720x960
>>622980
Hey bud, fitizen here. You are the extraneous fat of humanity if you cannot fathom a way in which to get enough calories to live, even innawoods, even on bare hands and undies. Your hypothetical death is nothing but nature severing an inefficient machine from its system, and I encourage you to lift or at least run.
>>
>>622988
>only spent about half their days working and the rest of the time enjoying things like music, art and dance
Be honest. They spend most of their free time having gang sex.
Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 22

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.