[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the craziest hike or outdoor adventure y'all
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 10
File: image.jpg (192 KB, 852x852) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
192 KB, 852x852
What's the craziest hike or outdoor adventure y'all have ever done or been on?
This was me after crossing 4 or 5 snow fields at Boulder Pass in Glacier National Park. Proper hektik m8.
>>
>>811679
One time I was in afghanistan for a year and hiked for miles each day wearing almost 100 pounds of gear going up and down mountains, through wadis and over walls.
>>
>>811679
Glacier is great, but walking across snow fields isn't all that crazy. Was this meant to be tongue in cheek?
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>811695
The ones suspended across the side of the mountains take ages to cross and are sketchy if you are ill prepared and lack proper gear like crampons and poles or an axe like I was
>>
File: IMAG2019.jpg (761 KB, 2688x1520) Image search: [Google]
IMAG2019.jpg
761 KB, 2688x1520
I climbed the middle sister after an 8 mile hike in.

Others ITT humble me with their feats but I'm still very proud of this one because I tore my ACL a year and change prior.
>>
going down the Madison Gulf Trail in the Presidentials in 100 mph wind/rain and of course negative windchill. had to book it down before the night fall cold came or I would shiver too much from the rain soaking everything I owned down to the bone to walk. When I got back down to the visitors center they told me I was lucky to be alive

shit was cray mayng
>>
>>811760
Lol. I love it when normies say i'm lucky to be alive. When I was a kid I was on the news a few times for surfing tropical storms. I was 14 years old being a better man then midt of the viewing area.
>>
probably canoeing on the New river when it was flooded. ten foot standing waves easy on what were supposed to be class 2-3 rapids max
>>
File: DSCN8947.webm (3 MB, 940x528) Image search: [Google]
DSCN8947.webm
3 MB, 940x528
I went to a glacier and wanted to get to where the river was coming out of it. The whole time, it was icy, I was crawling along the edge of this ledge with slippery ice and pebbles all over I'm going (slip on rock) "FUCK!!! HOLY FUCK!!! WHY AM I HERE!!!!!! THIS IS SO FUCKING STUPID!!!! I"M GOING TO DIE!!!!!!" wow... I made it... sweet..."
>>
File: DSCN98949.webm (3 MB, 940x528) Image search: [Google]
DSCN98949.webm
3 MB, 940x528
>>811809
I went up further and found an opening. I went inside and could hear banging, cracking, and the loudest rain/river running noise. I went in as far as I could, after the video I made it about 20 more feet or so, but it started closing in on me.
>>
File: DSCN8953.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
DSCN8953.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>811812
Then I just hung out. I was hungry so I went home and had hot pockets and Mountain Dew.
>>
>>811679

I try not to have any crazy adventures, always being prepared and minimizing risks

I've done plenty of cool and rewarding stuff though
>>
>>811698

Risking your life for not taking adequate gear is not crazy, it's stupid.

Plenty of idiots do stuff without proper gear, plenty get killed also.
>>
>>811940
I underestimated the trail and wasn't prepared as a result. Wasn't ever in danger for my life, it just made it significantly more difficult to negotiate the terrain
>>
>>812068 #
>no crampons or ice axe
>fall and knocked unconcious on rocks and ice
>become hypothermic and die
>fall and break leg on rocks and ice
>fall and slip down into a crack in the glacial ice
>I was never at risk guys!
>>
Running the Tonto Trail from Grandview Trail to South Kaibab was the dumbest shit i've ever done. Severely underpacked with water, and I fell asleep under a bush during the hottest part of the day
>>
File: canoe32.jpg (120 KB, 638x964) Image search: [Google]
canoe32.jpg
120 KB, 638x964
>>811679

>6 mi hike/camp into backcountry Adirondacks during January. Boots became soaked and turned to icicles. 15 hrs of darkness and zero dry firewood. Shivered all night and feet were so bad next day we almost ditched gear to get back quicker.

>Near same area of ADKs. An 8 mi canoe paddle and 3 mi portage off-trail through woods to a remote pond. Got lost in a giant maze of beaver dams on the way. Never made it to that damn pond. My life jacket is still hanging on a tree somewhere in the swamp. Pic related.
>>
>>812068
>>812193
>>811940
>>811698
For fucks sake, based on the pic there is no need for crampons or ice axe. A hiking poll is good enough and is very usedful.
You had no pols? or did you borrow one from your mate? One is enough to be 100% safe on a slope like that if you're careful.

>>812193
>fall and knocked unconcious on rocks and ice
He was clearly not alone, unless the pictures are not his. So this scenario is impossible.

>fall and break leg on rocks and ice
Same as before

>fall and slip down into a crack in the glacial ice
Snow fields are not glacier ice.

>>811698
Your mate having just one pole means he gave you one?
Otherwise, why are you going first? Should have let him go first and kick in steps.
>>
>>812567
Nah he gave me one and we switched out intermittently as to who went first, with the other following in their footsteps.
It would have been a cakewalk with crampons, and an Ice axe isn't really all that necessary.
>>
>>812567
How many different ways can you misspell pole? JFC.
>>
File: SAM_2747.jpg (3 MB, 4000x3000) Image search: [Google]
SAM_2747.jpg
3 MB, 4000x3000
When I tried to hike from Spain to Andorra with only the gear I'd packed for beach camping in Sardinia. Picture me in sneakers and cargo shorts using a rock to chip footholds in a glacier while a blizzard builds up around me at 2500 meters.

Then I tried to hike the Atlas Mountains south to north but got too lonely. I'll try again once I've learned to speak Tamazight.
>>
File: asdf.jpg (16 KB, 274x206) Image search: [Google]
asdf.jpg
16 KB, 274x206
>>811695
You've never been on a snow field before, have you? There are a fuckton of variables and ways to fuck up.
>>
File: fdsa.jpg (133 KB, 960x640) Image search: [Google]
fdsa.jpg
133 KB, 960x640
>>811940
>Risking your life for not taking adequate gear is not crazy, it's stupid.
Can confirm. I've slid off snow/icefields before because I was ill prepared, and I almost died because of it. Seriously. I've told the story here before, so I won't put you through it again, but yeah, you can get fucked up easy if you're not completely focussed and properly geared up.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.