[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ok /out/, I think I have it figured out. Rate my gear. This is
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5
File: IMG_20160619_153420.jpg (4 MB, 2313x3057) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160619_153420.jpg
4 MB, 2313x3057
Ok /out/, I think I have it figured out. Rate my gear. This is everything I think I need aside from a tarp and compass. Is there anything else I need?
>>
File: 91a.png (7 KB, 861x608) Image search: [Google]
91a.png
7 KB, 861x608
>cutting board and babby spoons
>OP is clearly the easter bunny due to basket grass
>mom's yoga pad
>I think I had that backpack in highschool
>crooked patch
>literally no way to attach all gear to pack
>>
>>797141
plus
>bear grylls flashlight
>wood shavings AND cotton balls for tinder
>no fire source
>no water bottle
2/10 troll. learn from your mistakes and try again later
>>
>>797134
I've also been to the camping section at Wal-Mart
>>
File: IMG_20160619_162142.jpg (3 MB, 2296x2841) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160619_162142.jpg
3 MB, 2296x2841
>>797141
>cutting board and babby spoons
You wanna dull up your knife cutting food on rocks be my guest, it also provides back support. As for the spoons, cheap and effective.
>crooked patch
Its like that on purpose
>mom's yoga pad
Its a sleeping roll jackass
>literally no way to attach all gear to pack
Try again faggot
>>797145
>bear grylls flashlight
Its a fire steel, also accounting for my fire source
>cotton balls and wood shavings for tinder
The cotton balls catch the spark, the shavings catch the flame off that
>>
>>797152
Hey if it's cheap and it works, what's the problem?
>>
>>797134
>>797156
Does not look very comfy but if works for you that's what matters. Seems like you'll not be going deep into the woods with that setup anyways.
>>
>>797158
where do you think you are ?

this is 4chan, every body is an elitist faggot

join the club
>>
>>797166
What do I need to go deep innawoods?
I don't need much shelter and want to "rough it" as much as possible. I'm also taking a fishing pole and my recurve with me to obtain food, they're just not pictured.
>>
>>797174
If you're going to walk a big distance then weight is a concern, that cutting board makes no sense. Also you have no water container for your water, you don't have shelter either.
>>
>>797174
The only thing that matters is that everything meets your purpose. I think its ggwp. I would suggest cheap compression bag for sleeping bag to make it slightly less sticking out because its fucking hard to walk in thick forest with everything hooking on branches and shit.
>>
>>797174
for starters, a pack that will properly support and contain the load on your back. it looks like most of the items pictured will dangle on the outside of your pack, catching onto things and shifting while you walk. a proper pack for that load will support the weight on your hips while minimiing sway
>>
Trapper for 8 years hunter for 16 outdoors guy since I was 3 and I got to ask what the fuck is this? Get rid of the cutting board, shits useless just use a log or your thumb. Backpack is the least balanced thing I've seen, a bag full of shavens why? Ever heard of just packing a chunk of fat wood? Less room, no need for the yoga mate. Just shaking my head.
>>
>>797195
>>797179
Please direct your attention to my reasonings
>>797156
>>
>>797207
Weight isn't always a issue, I've gotten use to packing 50+ pounds (traps gear animals a rifle shit weighs a ton) Never the less This loadout is just stupid.
>>
>>797174
a bag that fits all your gear
>>
lol did you make that patch yourself OP
>>
>>797134
My recommendations:
>2 tarps (you already mentioned you'd have it anyways)
>Hobo rod (a short dowel with string and hook attached) instead of a full fishing rod
>Cutting board may be needless weight, but good thinking to preserve your knife and it multifunctions as a rigidizer
>A bigger metal container with lid to boil more water, plus maybe a setup that carries 2 liters at the most at any given time, like 2 nalgenes
>More cordage (or maybe I don't see it)
>A headlamp would be nice. Handsfree.
>Extra socks
>Mosquito net (unless your hammock has one)
>Newspaper is lightweight, can be used as tinder if everything is wet, and when crumpled up and softened, doubles as toilet paper
>A cigarette lighter would be nice
>Hand sanitizer for when you're field dressing animals, also doubles as fire starter. Isopropyl alcohol (pref 91%) would do just as well and doubles as alcohol stove fuel, accelerant and anti-septic
>Some lightweight provisions. Even trail mix is better than nothing.
>A hat to deal with ticks and sun
>Depending on how badass your knife is, a heavier cutting tool like an axe might be needed. I personally don't carry and axe because it's just extra weight and my knife is full tang anyways.
>An extra change of clothes wouldn't hurt.
>Duct tape. Must I explain?

As long as you cover the 10 C's of survivalbility, and you focus more on skills rather than the gear itself, you're good. And you have most of the essentials.

6/10. You'll survive, but can do with much improvement. Happy camping.
>>
File: IMG_20120309_151633-1.jpg (8 KB, 386x360) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20120309_151633-1.jpg
8 KB, 386x360
>>797591
Thank you very much for not being a complete ass and actually helping me with this. I will take your reccomendations to heart and update my gear when I can. I have a Fiskars X7 coming in tomorrow from amazon. I actually have a Zippo and I keep a bic with me too, just forgot to include them.
>>
>>797134
I sincerely hope this isnt your bug out bag, or your pack for going out in the woods for a month +

>>797156
>You wanna dull up your knife cutting food on rocks be my guest
thats what sharpening stones are for m8
>>
>>797625
It's for at most week long hikes. I got a sharpening stone in there m8. Like I said, I don't need alot.
>>
>>797621
You're welcome desu.

As said by many people before, I'd ditch the cutting board and get a better backpack with more room and back support.
>>
>>797632
I'm only going to need a pack until September, which is when I leave for the military, so I just haven't invested in a pack yet.
>>
File: mHM3DMk.gif (2 MB, 332x215) Image search: [Google]
mHM3DMk.gif
2 MB, 332x215
>>
>>797633
I actually enjoyed my out trips more when i had almost no gear at all... a bacpack with axe, folding knife, some cordage, 2 packs of ramen, canteen with cup and some cordage. Yes and a small fishing rod. Now after spending money on all kind of out stuff i actually understand how more gear is less fun. It depends on where you are and what is your purpose of going out. Mine was day hikes by river and fishing so i didnt need any gas burners compases whistles, emergency blankets, 3 pots 5 knives and shit. Ofc if i were going on a week trip that 1cm yoga mat wouldnt do any better than sleeping on leaves. Inflatable air mat is cheap and good insulation only problem is reliability
>>
>>797134
>cutting board
try and downsize. I have a super thin one that folds in half and weighs fuck all
>wood shavings
you probably need way less than that, just have some as emergency. same goes for cotton balls
>water
carry some

other than that if your needs are met I dont see what the issue is. yeah if you used this pack to hike 200 miles you would probably get some back issues but if it's to just go innawoods for a bit it'll do the job. Back when I used to have fuck all I used to do day trips with a fucking plastic shopping back, who gives a fuck
>>
>>797156
>dull you're knives cutting on a rock
So now you can your Shun chef knife /out/ with you, too? I've never once used a surface to cut on in the backwoods. Learn how to pare and stop being such a faggot.
>>
>>797660
>air mat
>good insulation
Confirmed for car camping in the summer only.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.