[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Kit list
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4
I've been challenged to walk a large portion of the south-coast of England.
I have some experience in camping, but that was only doing D of E, and all my equipment was awful because I was a poorfag.
Can anyone from /out/ tell me what equipment I need without breaking the bank too much, I expect to be travelling a few weeks (I do have enough money to stay in hotels every now and again, and with airBnB I don't have to be camping every night).
>>
camping isn't necessary at all

all of the seaside towns/cities are so close to each other you can just eat/sleep in each one every lunch & night
>>
For food I personally wouldn't spend a lot on expensive camping food. Because of all of the towns on the coast I'd say it would be a lot easier and cheaper to just buy food from supermarkets day-by-day.
>>
>>796557
That's what I was planning, heading to tesco or whatever shop each day when I head through a town to pick up some food, or eating in a cheap cafe for lunch.
I was planning to carry about a days worth of food at any one time to for camping and keeping costs down as I dont want to fork out on eating in a cafe every lunch.
Cans on all day breakfast and shit is what I was planning, I have a little gas stove already that I could use.

>>796555
It would be quite expensive to pay for a room every night for a few weeks. I was planning on camping mostly in campsites along the way to keep my costs as low as possible, I now for a fast there are a fuck ton of camp sites on the south coast.
>>
File: youtu.be-dpkmYjZcwvg.jpg (272 KB, 1320x953) Image search: [Google]
youtu.be-dpkmYjZcwvg.jpg
272 KB, 1320x953
>>796567
Will you be able to have campfires at these sites to cook food? Or do they require camp stoves? I'm not sure of the fire regulations in England.

If you can have fires you might want to consider a little hobo stove/rocket stove. Another possibility is making a folding stove from a baking sheet. That, plus a small pot, plus easy access to grocery stores means you'll have no issues with having to have the lightest and most calorie dense possible food. Opens up your food options a lot.

If you're really hard up on funds, a couple of 2m x 3m polyurethane tarps can make a good shelter. One for a ground sheet, and one for a roof. You'll want some cordage; paracord is usually pretty cheap but just about any light rope is good. You'll also want some stakes (carve yourself), and at least one upright (use your walking stick).

Then get a large, super heavy wool blanket. Maybe two depending on how cold it is. Roll the tarps & blanket together, use some cordage to secure it tightly, then use another piece of cordage to tie the ends together. Sling over one shoulder. Sling your haversack over the other shoulder, and you're good to go. See pic for example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WmN6ajFncU (DIY folding stove video)
https://www.youtube.com/user/KennethKramm/videos (this guy has videos on haversack / hobo camping)
>>
>>796587
I can buy tents and stuff, I just cant have them be like £300 and stuff. Im a student so I dont have too much spare cash, those hammock tents look pretty neet, are they any good?
I have a pretty dwcent sleeping bag, and odd pieces of equipme6here and there, some of it is decent but really I domt have the equipment right now to last 3 days.
All the camp sites ive been to require stove cooking, although I have heard a few allow camp fires in certain firepits dotted around the site.
Im not hoboing, im just not rich.
>>
File: 5947530754_12a805b486.jpg (223 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
5947530754_12a805b486.jpg
223 KB, 500x375
>>796598
For a hammock to work you need two fairly stout trees pretty close together. Are you going to be able to find that regularly on the south coast of England? I'd say a traditional tent would be more useful.

An alternative is a bivy shelter. Smaller & lighter, but you don't have the ability to sit up or do anything while inside of it. Basically protection from rain and that's it. Most folks aren't really used to working with them and just prefer a traditional tent.

Downsides of a traditional tent are weight and cost. You can have low weight, or low cost, but generally not both. If you're soloing and bearing the cost of all the gear you might want to take a serious look at bivy shelters and sil tarps. A military surplus bivy bag combined with a new sil tarp will keep you and your gear dry, will be much lighter and smaller than a tent, and cheaper as well.

If you're limited to stove cooking you have two options really: isobutane-propane canisters, or naptha. Either way you're going to have to buy more fuel at some point along your trip, so you should purchase the one with fuel you think is likely to be more readily available.
>>
>>796615
Are hex cubes worth considering? I have propine at the moment, ives usdd it a few times and it is pretty good, but I heard hex burners are very light weight. And I think I will shop around and spend a wee bit more than I should, on a light one man tent, it should last me and if I go on other trips im sure it will be great.
>>
>>796619
>Are hex cubes worth considering?

Esbit tablets? In my opinion no. They don't provide enough heat for long enough to really cook anything. If you just needed hot water for rehydrating something, or a cup of tea then sure. But for cooking meals it's just not enough. With a small pot of water, say 750ml, by the time it's boiling the tablet is basically gone. If you have to not only boil water but keep it boiling long enough to cook something you're out of luck.
>>
>>796625
Ive only ever usdd them once at cadets, we had like 4 burning at the same time, b we were cooking bacon and sausages, not boil in the bag foods
>>
File: IMG_20160619_211036942.jpg (2 MB, 5344x3006) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160619_211036942.jpg
2 MB, 5344x3006
Here is my current kit, im looking into tents and boots and stuff, what I have is mostly old kit from when I did cadets, some of it seems ok.
What can I salvage for use and what should I buy new?
>>
>>797151
You can ditch the rape whistle I guess. Everything else would have a use.

Is that a folding stove to the right of the compass? I can't tell from the picture.

What do you have for a pack?
>>
>>797177
I have a propane tank in the garage, that is just the burner.
My backpack is fucking shit, It nearly broke my back on D of E when I last used it. Im looking into a new bag, but I don't know how big I will need though, I guess around 50lr or something.
>>
>Shelter
Tent or bivy shelter
Tarp
Cordage (Carve some wooden pegs as necessary)
Sleeping pad
Sleeping bag

>Water
Water bottle
Dropper bottle for chorine bleach (sodium hypochlorite)
Filter probably not strictly necessary

>Cooking
Stove
Fuel cannister(s)
Pot set
Eating utensils
Small travel bottle of dish soap
Dish towel
GI can opener (since you're likely to be using canned goods)

>Toiletries
Hand sanitizer
TP
Small hotel soap
Small hotel shampoo
Flip flops
Toothbrush
Travel toothpaste
>>
>>797315
>Clothes
Rain jacket (rain pants optional)
Toque
Light gloves
Spare pants
Spare shirt
Light jacket/long sleeve shirt
Socks & undies (3-4 pair each)
More clothes as desired, but try to keep light
Small hand towel
Waterproof compression sack for the lot
Mesh laundry bag

>Other
Backpack w/ waist belt
Headlamp
Dollar store mini LED lantern w/ hook
Spare batteries
Basic compass
Roadmap
Notepad & pencil (not pen)
Bic lighter x2
New-Skin Liquid Bandage
Loperamide pills
Dimenhydrinate pills
Cellphone
Several extra large clear heavy duty contractor-grade garbage bags
Large ziplock bags
>>
>>797316
Other good ideas would be foot powder, insect repellent, a wide brimmed hat, duct tape, USB power bank, and something to entertain yourself before falling asleep or when it's rainy out and you're stuck in your tent.

Line your pack with one of the clear garbage bags, and make sure every individual item in your pack is either a) impervious to water or b) in a ziplock, garbage bag, waterproof compression sack, or some other waterproof container. Keep your rain jacket near the top of your pack, or in an easily accessible pocket.

Wear your flip-flops around camp. Let your feet breathe and dry out when you can. Foot powder can extend the time before your feet get sweaty, but only changing socks and letting your feet air out can actually dry them. Wet skin stretches, folds over itself, and causes blisters. Dry feet are happy feet. When you inevitably get blisters, that New-Skin liquid bandage stuff is amazing.

All in all you should have a pretty enjoyable time of it.
>>
Water isnt too much of an issue, there will be buildins evrry 10 minuets and the community is pretty good, so peoplw are more than willing to let travelers have tap water.
I have a fairly large microfiber towel, would that be good enough for all the hand towel uses?
Also I have a 2lr camel back and 2 shock proof walking sticks being ordered, I guess those are good.
>>
>>796567
I would carry two days worth of food. Just in case you get into a spot of trouble out in the countryside. Can never be too careful.
>>
>>798585
I can see your point, but that would only be for some parts. Some areas of the south coast are pretty built up, so you will only be walking through towns some days. In the less built up areas of coast I would take more food incase.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.