[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ultra light 20L backpack Setup
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: ULBackpackConfig_1.jpg (334 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
ULBackpackConfig_1.jpg
334 KB, 1000x1000
Hi guys,

So I've been working on a new light weight configuration for hiking trips. My plan was to stop using my big 60L Gregory Scout backpack and instead try to use my 20L Lowe Alpine Z20.

I know 20 liters is rather minimalist for extended trips but I decided I want to give it a try. I added an image for reference on my initial setup for the essentials. One note:
- I might replace the 1l water bottle on the right for the tent currently strapped on the bottom. I will use a 1,5L camel bag with water instead.

I would really appreciate some feedback guys, I've increasingly realised that I don't need much on my trips and really hate heavy loads. I really believe UL is the way to go for me.
>>
>>795864
How long do you go /out/ for?
>>
>>795864
Where do you plan on hiking? Obviously you're going to have an easier time with ultralight hiking if you live in warm, dry climates and have easy access to water.

Also, I'm not sure what "Exped UL 7 LW" is. Is that a sleeping pad? If so, there are lighter options. I've got a thermarest ridgerest that's 335g. Only about $35 too.
>>
>>795916
My intention is to take on the Scottish Highlands somewhere over the next year. Norway might also be an option but I'd go nowhere near the arctic. Probably I'd travel for no longer than a few days without resupply opportunities.

>>795916
The UL 7 LW is an air inflatable sleeping mat yes, the reason I prefer it over other solutions is that it folds down to about the size of a 1 L water bottle. It's insulating properties are also the shit.
>>
Looks ok for a few days, I guess you'll mostly be carrying food then, I'd want a tarp in case the weather got a little nasty (just me) but other than the clothes you'll be wearing you should be fine.
>>
i've got some feedback for you: quit being a vag. just pack it up, sack up, and do an overnighter.
>>
Pack it with nothing but peanut butter

You'll thank me later
>>
>>795979
Thanks, I think I'll do that.
>>
>>795936
>Scottish Highlands
>Norway
Have you been to those places before? You are going to be fucking COLD and WET, perhaps dangerously so. Misty rain pretty much constantly and the wind will make everything much worse. You can probably do overnighters there on an ultralight setup, but you will be absolutely miserable much of the time. Sure it won't be so bad on a nice day, but a spate of bad weather will make your experience hellish.

Make sure you bring a goretex shell, a fleece toque, and maybe a softie jacket. Some light gloves wouldn't go astray either. Ultralight usually means stoveless, and it's going to suck not having any warm food or drinks to cheer you up when you're cold.
>>
>>795936
>intention to take on the Scottish Highlands
>the Scottish Highlands

what the whole thing? kek. I know Scotland looks tiny on the map but as a Scot lemmi tell you you gonna have to put away a few months to even remotely do 'the Scottish Highlands' in any large portion.

Exped mats are a good shout but I'd go for a coffin cut down pad.

And your 20l bag weighs 1kg? ffs dude, my 70l UL pack weighs 800g

And stainless steel water bottle? fuck sake. Empty water/juice bottles are great, they're light, tough and you can scrunch and fold them up when empty.

Down sleeping bag strapped to the OUTSIDE? omfg please

conclusion:

OP is a retard.
>>
>>796283
Bretty much this
>>
>>796283
ultra lighters are retarded consumerist faggots.

i pack fucking 70lbs of luxury and haul my ass comfortably anywhere because i am not some obese little bitch that can only handle 5lbs in my back.

srsly, you think people hiked to the Klondike with an ultra light pack? they were not office dwelling cowards.

like fuck

man
up

this fucking fad needs to die

stop going to assdrop
>>
>>796857
>>this fucking fad needs to die
if it did a lot of new products wouldnt come out, some of them are useful and are reduced in price with heavier demand.

i also carry 70 lbs packs but it would be more if i didnt have UL stuff.
>>
>>796857
If you're carrying 70lbs, you're carrying unnecessary weight because you're too lazy to make choices. I can fit all the luxury I need in 45.
>>
>>797132

the reason people used to carry a lot of weight is because as any outdoorsman knows you take what you need, and historically gear weighed a lot, hence heavy bags.

This is the same reason SOME people still take a lot out - hunters, trappers, trail blazers, photographers, whatever, because they REQUIRE the extra gear and the extra weight.

If object A is fit for purpose and object B is also fit for purpose, but A weighs twice B I'm fucking taking A, dude.
>>
>>795864
I'm actually quite interested in some ultralight alternatives but only for traveling around other countries and not for camping/trekking.

Anyone has any recommendations? OP's pic looks nice so I'm looking for something similar to that.

/trv/ doesn't seem to be as keen on backpacks as you guys are so I thought I'd ask here.
>>
>>796857
I'm trying hard to understand this, you are suggesting that people who carry 30% as much as you are consumerists?
>>
>>797171
i use everything in there and have extra incase i fuck up

i bring what i need and want because i like enjoying myself

>>797132
i have to agree on that
>>797489
i just buy whatever works. i do not have interest in all this bullshit sanfran marketing garbage.

>muh grams
>muh titanium
>muh whipsnake 9000000000 steve climber edition

i spend more time outdoors than i do inside looking at stupid equipment.

ultra light fags are massive consumerist that suck brand dick instead of just buying heavy duty and working.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.