[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Becoming one with the forest, and sleeping against a tree
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 14
File: NoBoundry.jpg (1 MB, 1352x1000) Image search: [Google]
NoBoundry.jpg
1 MB, 1352x1000
Is it possible to sleep outdoor, without a tent, tarp and sleeping bag?

I want to become that hardcore man, similiar to the knights and warriors of medieval times, who sleep against a tree, and without a bonfire. Completly stealth, and fast back on track. Becoming one with the forest, knowing every part of it, recognize all the sounds, and signs of humans. Even dogs won't be able to smell my scent because I'm part of the forest. Like a wood elf.

Is it possible? I live in Norway.
>>
>>722494
>Is it possible to sleep outdoor, without a tent, tarp and sleeping bag?

Yes, but how many parasites do you want to pickup in your sleep?

>I want to become that hardcore man, similiar to the knights and warriors of medieval times, who sleep against a tree, and without a bonfire.

They were "hardcore" because they'd been doing shit like that since birth.

>Even dogs won't be able to smell my scent because I'm part of the forest.

It doesn't work that way.

>Is it possible?

Not really. You're too old. Your cup is already full.
>>
File: boromir.jpg (272 KB, 1440x790) Image search: [Google]
boromir.jpg
272 KB, 1440x790
Depends on the season.

in the summer here i was in shorts and a shirt innawoods and my sleeping bag was too hot for me.

you'd just need a wool blanket and be cosy, like they do in Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit.

in Winter if you really want to sleep without tarp or sleeping bag and you're sure it's not going to rain, get some leaves as insulation from the ground and have a wool blanket and very warm clothes and a very hot fire.
>>
File: 05184268.jpg (549 KB, 1298x1050) Image search: [Google]
05184268.jpg
549 KB, 1298x1050
>>722508
>mfw he was so ashamed of himself for coveting the ring that he committed suicide by orc
>>
>>722494
>Is it possible to sleep outdoor, without a tent, tarp and sleeping bag?
Sure, if you like ticks and parasites.Spiders and snakes.

>I want to become that hardcore man, similiar to the knights and warriors of medieval times, who sleep against a tree, and without a bonfire.
JUST DO IT. Yesterday you said today! Don't let your dreams be dreams.

>Even dogs won't be able to smell my scent because I'm part of the forest.
They will though. You'll be smelly af.

>Like a wood elf.
Real question. What do you know from magic?

>Is it possible?
Yes 100%. But it's also possible to be impossible.
>>
File: 1437616012159.jpg (49 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1437616012159.jpg
49 KB, 640x360
>>722494
yes but millenials on this board despise the lack of comfort, which makes them buy sleeping bags, tarps and other materials to keep they like at home.

Real people are not hedonistic like the kids on this board. They learn tummo, and manage to be concentrated on the ground, thanks to samatha mediation, where you dilate your blood vessel exactly where you skin is cold, so you end up being very red where your are cold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZJik8ncXtU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SS0fiGSqAzc
>>
>>722582
Plz kill yourself old fart

Screen capped for cringe threads
>>
>>722494

They didn't do that then, they only ever did that in the imaginations of people trying to deride their own culture
>>
File: HhY8dpq.jpg (106 KB, 1514x1690) Image search: [Google]
HhY8dpq.jpg
106 KB, 1514x1690
Thanks for responses guys, I got my information out of this thread
>>722595
When summer comes, I will sleep against the tree, and I wont cry like a baby about muh tics. I'm vaccinated anyway.
>>
>>722494
Idk what the fuck you're talking about but I've made emergency "shelters" from leaves and sticks and slept in them and they were comfy as fuck. Even rained and I was fine. If I'm going somewhere it's allowed I always sleep outside if it isn't supposed to rain or in a natural shelter/one made from natural materials.

still use a sleeping bag & pad though, but that's not really necessary depending on how cold it gets. You can sleep literally anywhere if you're tired enough.
>>
File: neanderthal-news.jpg (125 KB, 1160x557) Image search: [Google]
neanderthal-news.jpg
125 KB, 1160x557
>>722582
>be cave man
>have to learn buddhist meditation just to survive through the night
>just kidding, I'm not a complete ungabunga
>mfw
>>
File: hippies.jpg (56 KB, 604x453) Image search: [Google]
hippies.jpg
56 KB, 604x453
>>722582
>be cold
>use meditation to dilate peripheral blood vessels
>directly counter to millions of years of evolution, blood is shunted away from my vital organs to my periphery
>feel warm as i'm accelerating my own heat loss
>either die or damage my brain so much i think i've transcended the laws of thermodynamics through ancient chink magic
>>
yeah pussies cannot control themselves, so they seek relief outside of them, in having faith that they will find what they need outside, and living in the terror that they will not find anything to fulfil their desires and die alone.
>>
File: IMG_1506.jpg (48 KB, 547x333) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1506.jpg
48 KB, 547x333
>>722494
i used to go into the woods behind my local bar and find a good pine tree and fall asleep leaning against it sitting down. be prepared to wake up in pitch black eerie woods though, and watch out for homless people
>>
>>722494
With your goals and general lack of experience you're looking at a "Cause of death: exposure" situation.

Dogs will always be able to smell you.

Medieval knights also had a laundry list of health issues that they faced while out in the field that won't exist for you. I suggest a quick Google search if you don't believe me. But trust me when I tell you, you'd change your mind.

>wood elf
Bruh...

>Is it possible?
Not the way you think it is.

Things like proper hygiene and tooth decay are big deals when you don't have access to hot water and tooth brushes.

But that's just my .02.
>>
>>723219
Tooth decay isn't a problem if he collects his food from the woods
>>
>>722494
North american or european woods? Easily.
In the shithole I live? You'd prrobably be carried by fire ants.
>>
>>723219
nigger i havent brushed my teeth in like 15 years, i drink pepsi, tea, and smoke daily, im 26
my teeth have JUST started to yellow.
keep spreading the flouride (neurotoxic) jew
>>
>>723295
>keep spreading the flouride (neurotoxic) jew
I brush my teeth with charcoal m8, no need to put the neurotoxic jew into my mouth.
>>
Get a copy of Mors Kochanski's Bushcraft book, he explains boreal forest survival including winter. In effect you need at the very least a long fire and heat reflector and you sleep between the two. Expect to get up every few hours to tend the fire.

Also can I stress if you DO start doing this take a sleeping bag with you to begin with as a safer measure.

Also if you make a bed don't use leaves as another anon suggested, you're better harvesting the lower dry boughs from pine trees. You'll want at least 6" depth uncompressed so when you lay on it it is still providing adequate depth for insulation.
>>
File: I_don't_believe_you.png (85 KB, 250x235) Image search: [Google]
I_don't_believe_you.png
85 KB, 250x235
>>723295
>my teeth have JUST started to yellow.
>>
Can it be done? Probably, if you don't mind being covered in mud, to keep parasites away, taking dirt baths and rolling around in the dirt to get every inch of you free from pests,
no bathing because that's a killer in winter if you miss judge the weather.
The avoiding the dogs part is not really possible. Animals can't do it, and the whole not showering kinda keeps you smelly.
Your clothes will inevitably rot and your life expectancy will be 50 tops.
>>
>>722494
/out/ism defined
>>
>>722582
>I hate comfort!
>Hehehe Im not like other millenials
>>
>>722582
Fuck your fake hippie shit. There's nothing real about it. You're worse than the pussified millennials.
>>
>>723295
Blatant falsification
>>
>>722494
Its possible but you you will naturally want to start to increase your comfort. Without a fire or a bed is just asking for trouble.
>>
>>723259
>Tooth decay isn't a problem if he collects his food from the woods
I'm acknowledging your statement but refusing to accept that you believe what you said.
>>
>>722582
holy fuck

They buy into that shit
They think that by tricking yourself into hypothermia, you're resistant to it

the whole "Don't scrunch up" bit was fucking head shaking.

Are Frenchies really this fucking stupid?
>>
>>722494
I'm pretty sure if the knights and warriors had technology sufficient for steel helmets, they also had large strips of cloth to comfy under.

Unless, of course, you plan on growing fur?
Norway sounds kinda cold.
>>
Leaning against a tree isn't the best as shit walks down from said tree onto you, and they're also magnets for critters for various reasons. Most stuff isn't a problem, but the occasional venomous critter or predator is.

Solid, hard ground with brush cleared around it is the best to sleep on without a tent.

It's impossible to be completely stealthy in da woods. Any movement makes noise. Noise brings eyes. Animals will still smell you if you don't move.

You can be out of sight of people, and it's something fun to do in national parks; stalking and tracking them without them knowing you're doing it.
>>
>>724236
As a frog, no. Usually we don't.
That's special one
>>
File: images.jpg (14 KB, 258x196) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
14 KB, 258x196
Knights slept in tents and in inns, OP is just filled with fantasy
>>
>>722494
Humans used to be feral. The only thing separating you from Neanderthals is skillset, they grew up learning what to eat and how to sleep, you grew up learning about math and science.

But even in the earliest of man's history, we wrapped ourselves in the skins of our kills to stay warm. This is what allowed us to leave the African plains and survive in colder environments. Fur (with the hair against your skin) is light, wind and rain proof, and still somewhat breathable. I wouldn't /out/ with less than primitive tools.
>>
>>722494
Knights and warriorsof medieval times slept in wall tents for shelter and had bonfires for heat and cooking.

Knights usually had a pack of servants traveling with them to take care of things, and while footsoldiers usually had to fend for themselves they still had at least a bedroll and a fire.
>>
>>722622
>literally anywhere
WHAT ABOUT THE SURFACE OF THE SUN
WHAT ABOUT THE COLD VACUUM OF SPACE
WHAT ABOUT THE BOTTOM OF THE MARIANA TRENCH

cunt
>>
OP, I appreciate the life of privilege and luxury that you have had up until now, and I hope you appreciate what you have as well.
>>
>>725808
this.

Humans are hedonistic by nature, and it is too difficult for most of them to stop being so.
>>
File: tumblr_nva9stf8lo1rrjqwfo1_500.jpg (65 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nva9stf8lo1rrjqwfo1_500.jpg
65 KB, 500x281
>>722494
I think you're not as tough as warriors of ancient times.
>>
>>722494
>>722494
> like a wood elf
plz, be in the real world, man.
a man need cozy. this the nature of mankind
>>
what do you guys build in the forest ?
>>
File: 1374369696503.jpg (16 KB, 171x200) Image search: [Google]
1374369696503.jpg
16 KB, 171x200
>>725808
>African plains
>>
depends on where you live
I live in MN, and you can only sleep without a tent in the fall, after all the mosquitos die off but before winter sets in. Otherwise you're in for a miserable night of slapping the bloodsucking bastards off of you constantly. The bare minimum you need out here is mosquito netting.

On the reverse, when I lived in Utah, I never brought a tent with me camping. I'd maybe set up a tarp, if it was supposed to rain, but I rarely even bothered with that.
>>
>>728793
>>>/pol/
>>>/mlp/
>>
>>723973
Just need to man up
That's what I say to myself every time that I feel uncomfortable
>>
File: rest.jpg (52 KB, 540x405) Image search: [Google]
rest.jpg
52 KB, 540x405
Find your inner warmth.
>>
So we can all agree that OP's autism is going to get him killed, right?
>>
>>722494
I slept on a dirt floor with my boots and all my shit on with a rock and some gloves as a pillow, it's doable.

I don't know why you would want to though.
>>
>>729088
I can't seem to zoom in on this picture.

What kind of bugs be those?
>>
>>730382
tics
>>
>>732274
How zen.
>>
>>722494
Be prepared to wake up every 1-2 hours. Hunger and Cold are supposed to be uncomfortable because if you sustain enough of it, you will die. That is why hunger/cold wakes you up at night, its a warning.
>>
>>723206
If you're pass out drunk that's cheating, sleep is too easy at that point.
>>
Soldiers and travelers through the 19th century and probably more recently always carried a wool blanket, cloak or a greatcoat and rolled up in that to sleep on the ground. It's called bivouacing. Almost every soldier through time up through modern times has carried a big big piece of wool, usually containing more lanolin (sheep grease) than a modern wool blanket would have to add a bit of water resistance. They still got cold, and wet, and frequently died of exposure.
>>
>>722610
US Army here, in basic training I had nothing but the clothes I was wearing. I propped up my head on the bottom of a tree and fell asleep. Did that for 3 days in a row and had no problems, 1 or 2 bites here and there but nothing horrible
>>
>>725808
>the only thing
And a big genetic diference too. They were diferent species of man and had speech and even crafts and trading to a certain extent.
>>
>>722494
>>727572

>I want to become that hardcore man, similiar to the knights and warriors of medieval times,

you realize that, that never happened right? they had blankets and sleeping clothes and tents and fires and shit like that.
>>
>>729096
yep we are gonna find his body in a school bus in the woods of alaska
>>
>>733783
Fucker read the wrong transcendentalist.
>>
>>722494
>Is it possible?

Yes, I work at a local park, and we do this all the time. You grab your lunch a gator and a chainsaw then tell the boss you are going out to the back to trim trails (it takes long enough to get back there that you are supposed to eat your lunch on the way cause it takes your lunch hour to get there).

You drive out and eat your lunch, cut a few branches to get the smell of work on you then pull the seat off the gator to use as a pillow go in the woods a little ways and take a nap for an hour then pack up and head home.

I've woken up to deer grazing, coons eating my lunch leftovers, even had a wild turkey standing not more than 10 feet from me.

That said, trees make terrible pillows and any scent hound worth his salt will find you no problem.
>>
>>722610

>You are on day thee of a week long hike and this guy slaps your girlfriends ass

What do you do /out/?
>>
>>725866
Yes. You can, indeed, sleep in any of those locations. You just won't wake up.
>>
>>735894
Magdump and hope for the best.
>>
>>722610
>and I wont cry like a baby about muh tics. I'm vaccinated anyway.
what vaccin
>>
>>722497
>They were "hardcore" because they'd been doing shit like that since birth.

and the ones that couldn't died.
>>
>>722494

First the elements. Depends where in the world you are.

Best case, you are in the Caribbean and wake up wet with dew. I've done it, no Big deal.

But yeah, it's doable, just not in the great majority of the planet because first the elements and second wildlife. I mean, soldiers do the shit.

Now this becoming one with the first thing, fuck you.
>>
>>735892
Relevant post.
>>
>>738859
>soldiers do the shit
Every time I spent a night in the field, I had a big ass poncho and liner to keep me (relatively) warm and dry, like a giant, smelly tent.
>>
>>739146
accurate
woobies save lives
>>
>>722494
Why has nobody mentioned Cervantes? Oh that's right /out/ is filled with kiddies and diddlers that have no culture.

Read Don Quixote and then re-read what you OP'd
>>
>>739192
>I am le cultured :DD upboat pls
Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.