[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello sc/out/s, Just got back from a trip up in the mountains
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3
File: 1457256166485.png (220 KB, 638x745) Image search: [Google]
1457256166485.png
220 KB, 638x745
Hello sc/out/s,

Just got back from a trip up in the mountains and it was the first time I've ever not stayed in the tent / under the tarp during a rainstorm. I got soaked to the bone even with a nice layer of water resistant jacket, which brings me to ask, what is the best - or your favorite - rain shell?

I was looking into the North Face 'Venture', but I'm afraid to buy TNF because it seems pretty meme tier. Pic related.
>>
Mtn hardware plasma ion is the best light shell I've ever owned. I've bought it twice
>>
>>792989
Frogg Toggs brĂ¼. They have an option for every budget, a good selection of colors and camo patterns, /fa/ and not-/fa/ designs, and they're affordable.

Problem with designer coats like your pic is that they try to be all-in-one (warm, breathable, water resistant, /fa/shionable, cumpfy, etc) so they're never super great when conditions go bad. I've been a fan of Toggs for awhile now and have done lots of research/review watching, visited stores that sell them to get a hands-on look at the different materials, etc.

I've just bought the "All Sport" suit, which is one of their mid-tier designs. It's not rubber so it breathes, and it's guaranteed to be 100% water proof. It's a soft fabric-like material and it's quite comfortable. They have lighter ones (that I think are more a membrane and might not breathe as well - also wouldn't be good for cold weather) but they have heavier stuff and fancier expensive materials too.

You can get the suit from Amazon or Dicks or whatever for around $35, cheaper if you just want the coat. But take a look at their full line, some good shit.
>>
>>793004
I actually sorta facepalmed myself a while back for not picking up one of their jackets while it was on sale at the Cabelas I work near, they were getting rid of their stock for %60 off or something, they were only $14. Wish I would have grabbed one.

I am looking for something that will be light weight and compressible, how do the Toggs fair in that department? I'm doing a lot of backpacking this year and the main range I go to rains almost every other day, even in dry seasons, and this year is seeming to be pretty wet.
>>
>>793032
Well this particular suit is a thin material, it doesn't have padding or any woven/quilted insulation or anything. So it compresses down pretty small, for a coat. It's not like a poncho but it compresses down at least as much or more than a typical cheep chinese hoodie, probably smaller. the whole suit weights less than a pound so I imagine the jacket's gonna be like 7oz or so?
>>
I have a NorthFace Rain Jacket and some 5.11 Rain pants. I got them both on massive sale and probably cost 60$ total

The Jacket is awesome and very lightweight. the pants are heavier but they work well.
>>
marmot precip. you should be pretty worried about getting a waterproof tent too...
>>
>>793261

I have one, Kelty TN2, works like a dream, pretty small and lightweight but big enough to fit me and my girlfriend quite comfortably.
>>
>>792989
Stop looking at silly cheap rain shells and go buy a 3 layer gore tex pro shell. It's keeps you dry not only today, but also 5-10 years in the future assuming you take just a little bit of care of it.
>>
>>792989
Patagucci Torrentshell
>>
>>793572
I like 3L gear for above the treeline and really rugged conditions, bushwacking etc. They are comparatively heavy and bulky though, and technically no more waterproof than a good 2.5L.

For a first true waterproof breathable shell I would recommend a 2.5L every time. Models like the Patagonia Torrentshell and Marmot Precip are solid picks.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.