[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Island Camping in New England
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 8
File: hupper.jpg (34 KB, 667x363) Image search: [Google]
hupper.jpg
34 KB, 667x363
Hey /out/, so my friends and I want to do some camping on an island but we're really not sure where to go. We live in New Hampshire, so anything in Vermont, Maine or Massachusetts works best. Ideally it would be an island that we can Kayak to and isn't owned by some campground or an actual person, but that's not a total deal breaker.

TL;DR
Anyone on /out/ know some decent islands to camp on for a weekend in New England?

So far I've considered Hupper Island, which is pic related and Jewell Island.
>>
Broskie come to Dark Brook Reservoir in Aubrun MA!

There are two islands in the middle (one large and one small) that are both good for camping. Yes, it's not the middle of nowhere but it's lovely out there. There's a beautiful view of the glowing I-90 and the train tracks with the occasional freight train. You can kayak through the culvert that goes under the highway which is quite a trip. The large island has a nice beach and is forested enough for some privacy.

http://www.mass.gov/eea/docs/dfg/dfw/habitat/maps-ponds/dfwdark.pdf
>>
>>790738
Is it allowed?
>>
>>790738
Solid suggestion, I'll add it to my list. I'm also looking at The Goslings in Maine which are probably my top pick at the moment.
>>
>>790744
idunno

i was out there once or twice until well after dark and didn't seem to be no thing. it's pitch black out there and nobody's ever on the lake itself anyway. there was ton of evidence of people camping... fire pit(s), disgarded tent flys and stakes, and old tarp, etc.

you can just contact the dept of fisheries and wildlife and acks them about it. you can call the local police too but sometimes it's best to not, because police tend to "just say no".
>>
>>790747
I live in MA and would love a good backwoods spot, but usually I just have to go to the White Mountains.
>>
>>790750
Well this lake/islands aren't backwoods or even near state parks or anything... but they are rather secluded (train tracks and highway around the reservoir keep eveything pretty much away). MA isn't a great area to find large tracks of forested land... on my family property I have a nice campsite setup in the back acres surrounded by large woods/farmland but it's still only a 10min walk to a road.

I also go to the Whites every year but I've gotten bored with it for some reason. Maybe I should just go off-trail in the national forest and camp like I want to instead of designated areas.
>>
>>790761
Pemigawassett allows camping 200 feet away from the trail in any direction
>>
>>790761
>not camping off trail by default
>>
There's a multi-day kayak trail between some of the uninhabited islands around Deer Isle in Maine. I wish I could tell you more about it, but I'm hazy on the details. When I was in high school my friends and I would kayak out to one of them to get drunk out of reach of adults.
>>
>>790922
That sounds fun as fuck.
>>
This place
http://www.mass.gov/eea/agencies/dcr/massparks/region-south/waquoit-bay-national-estuarine-research-reserve.html
>>
>>791247
Maybe I'm retarded but that seems like it's just marshlands and shit
>>
Are there any good islands on Winnepesaukee
>>
>>790725
You don't want to come down to CT? We have the estuary, which in turn has several islands you can kayak to and easily camp at.
>>
>>792053
I mean its possible, but that's a bit of a drive mate.
>>
>>792080
Just curious, what part of MA are you at?
>>
>>792107
I'm in New Hampshire.
>>
The islands off vynalhaven Maine are fucking great camping!

Grab some lobsters, seaweed and three eggs and have your self an island lobster bake on your private island. Just make sure you pick one with an ok beach to dock.

One of my favorite trips of all time
>>
>>790750
Also mass. Trekked out to mt greylock grounds this weekend and go luck with finding an empty leanto

By far best camping hiking in ma I've found
>>
>>790725
Jewell Island can be decent if you don't have to share it with a whole pack of Webelos scouts or a boat full of Masshole guidos. The ferries don't stop there so you'll have to arrange transportation yourself. Some people kayak over from Cliff island but if I didn't have my own boat I would take a water taxi from Portland.
>>
Anyone ever camp the harbor islands? How are they?
>>
>>790725
Attean Lake in Jackman Maine. You can rent a lakeside cabin for $35 and paddle to any of few dozen islands to camp out.

Hell you can stay at one of my cabins if you want, i'm 25 miles down a dirt road in a township with 4 residents. A mile up the road is a trail leading to a lakeside camp site on little Enchanted Pond that no one knows about, you could chill there if you wanted.
>>
>>793850
>35 dollars
>Everything starts at 299 dollars
>>
>>793893

Canada Road Inn is $45, Jackman Motel is $40 and you can get a cabin for $35.

You might have missed the part where i offered free lodging to any /out/ists who showed up at my house. My house that has 3 cabins on 46 acres in a 70 square mile area that has 4 residents.
>>
>>794011
You're not some sort of serial rapist, are you?
>>
>>794011
I might take you up on that. I should have days off again in a couple of weeks and I'm not to far away (Standish ).
>>
>>794011
Should we exhange emails?
Etc etc.
>>
>>794098
Nope.
>>794103
>>794104
Sure, i actually bought the place to eventually fix up for /k/ meetups, /out/ is welcome as well.
>>
>>794708
[email protected]
>>
Bizzump
>>
>>794103
>>794104
Before this thread disappears, email if you are serious. I've got a 8X16 cabin with a bunk bed and a wood stove 25 miles down a gated dirt road from Jackman Maine that is always open for a /out/ist. There is a campsite a mile up the trail on a lake if you really want to be in the middle of fucking no where.

I'm not a serial killer or skinwalker, i just live in the middle of no where and am a bit lonely. I totally promise i will not eat you or hunt you for sport.
>>
>>796835
OP here, someone take this kind man up on his offer, and let us know if he murders you and wears your skin as a coat
>>
File: 1356580733837.jpg (84 KB, 517x370) Image search: [Google]
1356580733837.jpg
84 KB, 517x370
>>796835
>>798154
>>
>>796835

What's your email. I'm in the depths of wedding season but I love jackmen Maine and was going to go up there and take a two day whitewater rafting course

Two conditions: you're not a /pol/ack and if you are /mlp/ you don't make me do voices when we play
>>
I'm >>798207

Also I'm in southie- can I get in on this island trip?
>>
>>798211
>>798207
[email protected]
>you're not a /pol/ack and if you are /mlp/ you don't make me do voices when we play.

Is Trump voter but not MGTOW/Nazi/Retard OK? My maximum autism indicators are Robotech DVDs and a bunch of WH40K novels and i bathe regularly. Don't worry about MLP voices, although i may ask you to wear a butterfly costume and insist you refer to me as "The Mighty Monarch"
>>798211
Sure.
>>798154
>>798201
I wouldn't worry about it.
>>
North Sentinel Island :^)
>>
>>790725
I camped on Grape Island twice.

The harbor islands are very fun, especially if you have a big party.

Comfy beachside fires.
>>
>>798309
>is a Trump voter
>thinks he's not a "Retard"

Lol'd, my friend. Lol'd.
>>
>>800257
>Voting for a morally bankrupt, corrupt, gun grabbing witch who has a history of ignoring the law in high office
Retard. I would take an incompetent retard over a corrupt criminal like Hillary.
>>
File: lgcover.jpg (51 KB, 800x298) Image search: [Google]
lgcover.jpg
51 KB, 800x298
Check out Lake George, NY. 300+ islands.
>>
>>796835
Jackman is God's own land.
>>
>>801284
Is this place filled with tourists?
>>
>>801573
not him but yes, it is. it does have plenty of isolated non-tourist areas off the beaten path, but yyyeah the lake itself is crawling with watercraft.
>>
File: Spactacle Island BHI's.jpg (821 KB, 1553x812) Image search: [Google]
Spactacle Island BHI's.jpg
821 KB, 1553x812
>>790725
Boston harbor Islands my friend. Take the T into Boston, get on a boat for $16, get to the islands 40 minutes later, and then you can hop around each island for $5 or so each way, or sometimes for free.

Bumpkin Island, Paddox Island, Long Island, Grape Island, and many more. Easily acessible, fantastic hikes, ruined historical forts, fantastic nature, swimming, kayaking, the list goes on. There are about 13 open to the public, but you could find a way to get to more of them if you're really adventurous. 10/10 quick getaway, and you can see the beautiful city lights from off in your own little world at night.

>>798309
>although i may ask you to wear a butterfly costume and insist you refer to me as "The Mighty Monarch"
I am fucking SOLD
>>
File: DSC00143.jpg (151 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
DSC00143.jpg
151 KB, 640x480
>>800257
Aww yeah, whose jealous now mother fucker? You like inna woods? You like white water? Well if you guys had come up you could have done whitewater kayaking WITHOUT LEAVING THE CAMP!

HAHAHA! Jealous much? Pic related, your sorry ass could have been here chilling with a beer helping me file weather.gov flood reports. But no, your sorry asses would rather be in your mommies un-flooded basement.
>>
>>803745
Check out the adventure you are missing RIGHT NOW: >>803738
>>
My home town Norwalk CT has a bunch of islands right off the coast and around the harbor. They are nature preserve but a few of them let you camp there. If yiubwant I can drop a throw away email and give you details. Shit if you wanted to do it before I peace for Peru in August I'll sail you out there and camp with you
>>
>>798309
Glad this thread got bumped cuz I missed it. I'll shoot you an email in the am
>>
>>803980
Take your time, i'm up to 8 inches of rain since 2 PM, the road connecting to the end of my driveway is 3 feet under water for a half mile each way and it's going to rain till Saturday.

I ain't going anywhere.
>>
Been camping on an island in Lake Richardson Maine for years now, love the island and the land around it. The campsite owners are great people as well, I recommend it 100%. I believe the main campground is called South Arm.
>>
File: index.jpg (11 KB, 268x188) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
11 KB, 268x188
>>804060
>Lake Richardson Maine
>corporate 'camping'
>'campsite owners'
>'main campground'
>Separate camping grounds based on admission fees

I've got something right up your alley:

http://www.campjellystone.com/park/101-madison-skowhegan/

I'm sure you and your family will enjoy your experience.
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.