[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've been hiking my whole life, but I've never really
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 3
File: Mary's Rock.jpg (184 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
Mary's Rock.jpg
184 KB, 960x720
I've been hiking my whole life, but I've never really prepared for it the way I should. I don't like carrying more than I need to. I brought 1L of water and a king sized Payday to get me up and down Yosemite falls last year. It was tough, and I ran out of batteries for my phone so I ended up hiking down with a high school kid and his mom since they had a flashlight.

When I was in college, I remember hiking up Mt. Laconte with a 12oz of water and nothing else. It was a seven hour hike, and I was saved by a Forrest Gump man who gave me half his bagel, in addition to some berries near the top.

In short, I'm stupid. And I don't pack properly. I want to change that on the cheap. I'm hiking up Gregory Bald tomorrow, which will be about 10 miles round trip, and about 2500ft elevation gain. It's not quite a day hike, but it's not a few hours either. What do you guys bring on this sort of hike?
>>
>>790274
Sounds like at a minimum you should bring water, a flashlight, and some food.

I mean think about it OP, what kinds of things could reasonably happen while you're hiking? Bring things to deal with those situations.
>>
>>790274
>10 miles round trip, and about 2500ft elevation gain.

Water. Probably rain gear and some snacks.

Unless there's something dangerous about the conditions (ice/snow, rockfall, cliffs, etc), then I will pack more actual emergency stuff: beacon/comms, firestarter, headlamp, essential first aid (iodine, gauze, tape, knife).
>>
File: image.jpg (34 KB, 190x261) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
34 KB, 190x261
>>
>>790274
One of my personal rules is-

>even if i'm only on a day-hike.
>if its estimated to be a full, daylong trip
>always be prepared to able to continue hiking through the following nite.
>this includes multiple light sources (at least two flashlights and a headlamp)
>enough food/water for 24+ hours
>ways of making fire
>whatever extra layers of clothing maybe necessary to stay comfy after dark

This is after I have already included the normal stuff like map/compass, first aid hit, knife, etc.
>>
File: camelbak lobo.jpg (36 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
camelbak lobo.jpg
36 KB, 600x600
>>790274
Maybe you should look into a small hydration pack like this. Plenty of water, and just enough storage space for a headlamp/flashlight, snacks, USB powerbank, etc. No good for overnighting obviously, but ideal for day-hiking. And since it's small you won't be tempted to overload it with bullshit. Just the basics.

Doesn't have to be this exact pack, plenty of other makes and models from other companies. I just trust their reservoirs more than other brands.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.