[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are good 8" boots to check out? I'm starting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4
File: 214174-lrg.jpg (120 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
214174-lrg.jpg
120 KB, 1200x1200
What are good 8" boots to check out?

I'm starting an internship as a national forest river ranger and need some boots to wear. I have no experience with them so have just been looking. I've heard good things about Justin's and wolverines, what does /out/ suggest?
>>
Get 10 inch you god damned idiot
>>
>>785106
I suggest you look at individual boot reviews. Wolverines have some real pieces of shit that I hated working with for just a day. I personally like Columbia, but I don't wear 8 inch boots just for hiking.
>>
File: timberland-pro-magnus-185912-lrg.jpg (132 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
timberland-pro-magnus-185912-lrg.jpg
132 KB, 1200x1200
I would suggest testing your first pair of boots.
Considering they should be light, yet gripful.
Go down with the price, maybe around 100$?
Then invest in some good footrub & merano working socks. Working in Boots can be a real torment, so take care of your feet!
>image related
the Irish Setter 8", may be a little too hefty in price. I would even consider it being it too professional.
>>
>>785230
My budget is $200, though under that is certainly welcome.

>>785182
Any recommendation for where to check em out at? I live in So Cal pretty far from an REI type place. We have a boot barn in town that I'll check out but other than that we are pretty lacking.
>>
>>785106

The fit in regards to your foot matters. A boot that is amazing for one person might not work for you, perhaps due to too high/low and arch, too narrow/wide a toebox, etc. You're just going to have to try stuff on. Travel to an REI if you have to.
>>
File: KIMG0142.jpg (3 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
KIMG0142.jpg
3 MB, 2448x3264
If you're going to be working with FS I would suggest a fire rated boot. Then if you get red carded you'll be set to jump in on prescribed burns or other filler slots on hand crews for fires to get hazard pay tacked on. A lot of fire guys will get Danner boots for the lower price range. And keep in mind the forest service now reimburses up to $300 every 3 years for boots required for your duties.
>>
Pretty much just go to the respective websites of Rocky or Danner and look around, I don't want to come off shilly but if you buy something from either of them you're most likely going to be gait.

Just check your criteria against what they offer, essentially.
>>
>>785106
Just remember to test them out in all conditions first. Including just stepping in water to check all of the stitching.
>be on pilgrimage
>stitching near the toes is shit
>welp I only tested them in the desert
>cue rain on pilgrimage
>nearly lose all the skin on my right foot
>fugg
>have to switch to my laxin sandals
>no room in pack for boots
>have to tie them to my pack
>try to make as evenly weight and unmoving as is possible
>didn't work
>fuck up my knee
aaand I was fucked. Got my pack stolen by gypsies in the next town to boot.
This folks, is why you always need to weather test your boots and support any sort of movement to completely genocide the gypsies.
>>
File: Redwing 400.jpg (183 KB, 993x1149) Image search: [Google]
Redwing 400.jpg
183 KB, 993x1149
I like my Redwings.

Heavy though.
>>
>>787725
Those have a sympatex liner, btw. Not goretex. So you still need to protect the leather from water damage.
>>
>>785230
Pic related is magnus 6" great boot going on 2 years rn, definitely replace the insole.
>>785460
Cost me 100$
>>
>>785150

I'm wearing some 8" boots right now and find they are to far up my leg to fit comfortably, how skinny are your legs that you can get another two inches higher without them running into your calf?

>>785182
What's wrong with wolverines? I'm just breaking these in and they are already the most comfortable boots I have ever owned, sparing the top inch and a half that is a little tight on my legs.
>>
>>785182
>Wolverines have some real pieces of shit that I hated working with for just a day.
They do make some crap but I work hazmat and they used to make a 10" steel toe steel shank with the zipper up the side and the sole would last 5 or six months with all the caustics and acids and are comfy as fuck to stomp around in. When I bought the last pair at my local walmart one day a few years ago I had a feeling they were out of production so I bought ten pair They were oy $50 each pair and I get a stipend for PPE from the place I work. So happy I did that. SO if you find the perfect boots I say buy a couple 3 pair cause why the hell not..
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.