[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is The Movie "Wild" A Meme?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 6
File: wild03-1.jpg (470 KB, 2186x1457) Image search: [Google]
wild03-1.jpg
470 KB, 2186x1457
There's no way that girl could carry that pack and all that gear on a 1,000 mile hike, is there?
>>
>>784669
With a lifetime of training I don't see why not. I know a small guy who weighed ~130 pounds that hiked over 370 miles with a pack like that in one go like it was nothing.
>>
Whore.
>>
>>784678
When I say one go, I mean without going home, like he camped and shit.
>>
How much does a pack like that weigh?
>>
>>784682
140-200 pounds depends on her gear weight. Issue with things like this pack is how bulky it is.
>>
>>784678
With a lifetime of experience a lot is possible despite your size I agree on that, but she's probably smaller and she's a girl hiking a whole lot further. In the movie she says she has a bit of experience with casual hiking. Maybe maybe not.

>>784682
I don't think the movie tells us, but it looks pretty heavy.
>>
Depends whats in there. Could be lots of loose stuff and therefore kinda light. Also small people make their packs look fucking huge compared to themselves, while actually having a much easier time compared to big people carrying a pack with the similiar proportions to their body size.

And if i remember correctly she´s really small. Like, child size small.
>>
>>784690

Are you seriously saying there are people packing 90 fucking kilograms ???

What the fuck?

I do well with 10
>>
>>784690
No.

I've carried that kind of weight, but we're talking shitloads of ammo, armor & plates, SAW, radio batteries, thermal batteries, and shitloads of water because no water source, plus what would be considered regular camping gear. It's not something that a large well-conditioned man can do for more than a few dozen miles without permanent injury.

A pack that size in that context would be more like 70 lbs tops. Without dense shit like ammo, batteries, weapons, etc you just can't pack that kind of weight in that volume.
>>
>>784669
When I went to Nepal the female sherpas there were carrying insane amounts

Then again, there body shape was completely different to Witherspoon's
>>
>>784669
>>784691
I know some women that can kick ass and are built like female bulls. They have different body types for fucking sure, but the idea a women can't hike 1,000 miles just because she's isn't a man is ridiculous. If anything, it's because she's out of shape.
>>
Yes lol.
>>
>>784669
Friend of mine built just like reese withsoerspsoon and she has thru hiked the PCT twice now, no hotel camping bullshit. She might even be a bit smaller.

That pack size doesnt mean shit if its full of light weight high volume things. Though i suspect they just made the pack look that big for the movie. I've seen tiny females carry packs that big several times.

You don't need a lifetime of training to do any of this shit. Sure, it helps but you can struggle through the pain cave and make those kind of hikes just fine carrying whatever fits.
>>
>>784710
Now try that with an M240, M3 Tripod, 800 rnds, a claymore, all your personal gear, 3x3 MRE's, and enough water to choke a whale.

Fucking pussy.
>>
>>784669
>needing that fuckton of gear

>>784895
You've never carried more than 30lbs, in a pack, your entire life.
>>
>>785028
Tanks for your cervix
>>
>>784702
Most I've packed on the trapline was 120KG for 20km. Not comfortably but it is possible. Wouldn't be able to do it daily thou
>>
>>785041
>120KG for 20km
Bullshit.
>>
>>784690
>>785041
lmao you don't know how weight works
>>
>>784669
it also depends on how far she's travelling per day, I mean, if you keep a relatively slow pace with plenty of breaks you'll get there eventually
>>
In Sweden we have a "challenge" to hike the whole mountain range which is around 850 mile (+- depending on route) and takes an average of 60-70 days to walk and several women have done it alone.
>>
Believe it or not OP some people don't have baby ankles and a baby back.
>>
File: image.jpg (188 KB, 1065x800) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
188 KB, 1065x800
>>784669
Google lists her at 5'1" inches. So, she is just making a decent sized pack look freakish through comparative sizing. In a good day Reece probably weighs 110 lbs., so it is hard to imagine the packing being 70 lbs., or 63% of her body weight. Realistically it would be around 40 lbs., or 36% of her overall body weight. This is consistent with traditional long distance pack weight. the gear looks relatively dated, leading to the safe assumption that it is not very compact. the weight to volume ratio produced is less than ideal to many people that frequent this board. Reece's petite frame makes it seem ridiculous, but it is probably pretty doable. The movie is probably unrealistic in one way or another, but the pack isn't.
>>
File: sherpa 3.jpg (489 KB, 1024x899) Image search: [Google]
sherpa 3.jpg
489 KB, 1024x899
>>784669
That pack is between 35 and 40 pounds.

Pic related, the reason why OP is a fag
>>
>>785348
I'm willing to bet these guys retire or change careers early with awful back problems. Seeing an old Sherpa seems unlikely to say the least.
>>
>>785350
The average age for a sherpa is 38, the oldest sherpa to climb everest being 76.
>>
>>785303
what's the challenge called?
>>
>>785392
This, maybe?
http://www.walkopedia.net/walks/display-walk.asp?WalkID=578
>>
>>784690
lol no probably a sleeping bag is 80% of that bag.
>>
>>785392
"catch and rape the blondie"
it's what the migrants call it
>>
>>785403
that's only 275 miles. there's a 1000km trail as well but that's not in mountain country.
>>
>There's no way that girl could carry that pack and all that gear on a 1,000 mile hike, is there?

It probably only weighs 10 pounds but the cunt couldn't even walk 5 miles on a paved trail.
>>
>>785303

>In Sweden we have a "challenge" to hike the whole mountain range which is around 850 mile (+- depending on route) and takes an average of 60-70 days to walk and several women have done it alone

Isn't the women's version of the trail only 88 miles
>>
File: thumbnail.jpg (52 KB, 504x520) Image search: [Google]
thumbnail.jpg
52 KB, 504x520
>>785392
http://www.vitagronabandet.se/en-GB/about-25427890
>>
>>785489
cool, thanks kompis
>>
>>785489
can a central european try and walk that path?
norway is not eu. need a visa?
also interested in how much money you need on the road or is there any foreseeable expense involved.
>>
>>785495
I think it's open to anyone, though they have a registration fee of 100euro. Why, I don't know, all you get (as far as I know) is a diploma and being acknowledged/registered on the site. Nothing stopping yo from do it on your own with your own rules.

Large part of the "trail" is wilderness and no trail at all, though you'll pass through a few villages at least in the southern part.
You have to send up your own food to different locations for resupplying etc. In other other words you need to make a lot of planing by yourself.

https://vimeo.com/162515496
>>
>>785041
that is almost twice as heavy as me
>>
File: image.jpg (15 KB, 200x253) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
15 KB, 200x253
Tfw my 11th grade stronk womyn English teacher made the class read this

Tfw all the girls became stronk independent womyn

Tfw even church going qt started going to parties and fucking strangers because "it's my body" and got pregnant and dropped out

Tfw all the girls haven't learned their lesson from her

Tfw good feel
>>
File: aFarOffPlace.jpg (260 KB, 1600x800) Image search: [Google]
aFarOffPlace.jpg
260 KB, 1600x800
>>784669
hey one of her first movies was already full on /out/ist level (and a bit disney)
>>
>>784702
army standard was 40 kg backpack+ another 30 in equipment
>>
>>785409
Don't be silly.
The immigrants can't into wilderness, they think the tree and rock spirits are gonna rape them.
>>
>>785041

the fuck were you hauling? gold ingots? dead bodies?
>>
isn´t it it a big part of the story that she hauls a fuckton of unecessary things around in a way oversize backpack, because she has 0 experience and her motivation for that trip comes from an gear-advertisement?
>>
>>785355
That's amazing.
>>
>>785041
Not sure if trolling or actually retarded
>>
>>784669
yup that thing is pretty big, could be poorly packed. When I read the book she took some useless and heavy/dense things- two fucking hardback books and a bigass camping stove are thethings that come to mind. Trying to remember how much the author said it was- maybe 60lbs?
>>
"At its heaviest, the pack weighed 70 pounds, at its lightest, a mere 50"

Quote pulled from an article on the movie
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.