[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Catch and release
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1
File: Salmon.jpg (277 KB, 2654x1005) Image search: [Google]
Salmon.jpg
277 KB, 2654x1005
I was raised my whole life to never release a catch. I was taught that throwing a fish back into the water with the hook wound in its face causes a slow death by infection, which is less humane than eating it later that day.

Is this true? Does /out/ catch and release?
>>
>>624039
Whoever taught you that is an idiot.
>>
>>624042

Yeah im starting to think that seeing how most fishermen release
>>
>>624039
There's no denying that C&R causes some fish mortality. But a conscientious and careful fisherman will minimize that to a very, very low amount.

To minimize mortality consider the following points:
-Minimize handling of the fish
-If you have to pick it up, wet your hand first to remove less of its mucus membrane
Never put your fingers in its gills or hold it by the gill
-use a rubber net, not a cloth mesh one (takes off less slime)

-Do not fish with bait; use lures or flies
-Pinch your barbs
-Replace trebel hooks with single hooks
-Bring the fish in as quickly as possible, do not put it through an exhausting prolonged fight.
-If guthooked, just cut off your line this gives the fish it's best chance

-If the fish is bleeding badly and you're allowed to keep it, do so, it's not likely to survive

-If you really need photos, leave it in the water as long as possible, have your camera ready for a quick pic and then back in the water
>>
>>624049
Absolutely this.

Leaving a hook in a fish will generally not harm the fish. The hook will fall out or rust out in a few days max. Holding a fish out of water and trying to wrench a hook out of it is very likely to harm the fish.
>>
>>624039
if its gut hooked 90% of the time it's fucked. lip hooked... I'd guess they live over 95% of the time. I mean being hooked and fighting with a fisherman for what you perceive to be your life has got to be a highly stressing event on fish and I know handling most with dry hands can open them to infection by fungus.

Me personally, I don't over play the fish, I wet my hands before handling it, I use a rubberized net, I cut off the hook if it is stuck hard. I tend to keep stocked fish and try to release wild fish. Wild fish where I live have to deal with lots of fishermen out there, invasive fish species, and more recently unpredictable climate problems such as warmer temps and floods. I'm not gonna bitch out someone who keeps a fish from a mountain stream but if I can take off just a bit of pressure from the fish population I try to do it. You really see the difference in catch and release only streams and rivers. It's fun to catch lots of big fish in a day rather than a whole day without even seeing a sign of one.
>>
>>624062
i would like to see some source on leaving hooks inside fish. seems cruel, but so does c&r in general. why traumatize animals just for bragging rights? just eat them or don't fish, faggots.
>>
>>624098
i guess fishing seasons arent a thing where you are? how about trying to leave the best breeding pairs in your fishery while only harvesting young fish? or the plain old fact that I'm not fishing for carp or suckers or eel or pike and they taste like shit but I will catch them anyway
>>
>>624039
Well you were taught that by a retard. Enjoy those retard genes you have there you half tard mouth breathing mongoloid
>>
>Catch and release when you are not going to eat it.

>Catch and cook when you are going to eat it.

Guthook survivability: You can cut your line or use one of those hook removal tools, which work well imho. It all depends on the size of the fish and the size/depth of the book of course.
>>
>>624042

Not necessarily.

Apparently catch and release has mortality rates of up to 1/4 which means the guy who catching his limit and leaving is killing less fish than the guy who is banging and letting go 20 of them in a day. On top of that, he's wasting less.

I'm not catch and release is bad or wrong, just that it's nuanced.

I'm a fish murderer myself though because I don't like playing with my food.

>>624188
You sound frustrated anon. Life got you down?
>>
>>624039
So every fish you catch is a keeper? You must be spectacular.
Fishhooks are designed to dissolve in water.

Not a C&R proponent, catch and eat or fish for the keeper. Stripers min size is 28", 1 fish limit. If I catch a 28 -30 early I'll probably release so I can get the big one later hopefully, unless I'm really hungry.
>>
>>624295

>So every fish you catch is a keeper?

Why the fuck wouldn't it be? Is it really a dick swinging competition?
>>
>>624295
why would you release 28-30? that's the perfect eating size for striper, any thing bigger and the meat is tougher, also bigger fish have more eggs.

anyways I'm glad they changed slot limit on striper, it seems to really have helped the population even in the past year of the legislation change.
>>
>>624039
that's bullshit, most fish released will live unless you do some stupid shit with it letting it flop around on rocks or stepping on it while releasing the hook.
>>
>>624098
Go on Trout Unlimited's website and read their guide on catch and release. I mean this is one of the top fish conservation organizations in the world they know what the fuck they're talking about. Look shit up before you come run your cock holster about some shit you're too narrow minded to understand and ask to be spoonfed a source.
>>
>>624511
Trout Unlimited fucking sucks.

They have caused massive issues, and have actually caused issues within the Maine fisheries, most anglers don't welcome them in Maine.
>>
>>624039
Just went to a seminar last night about a students surveying. They were catching rock fish, hook and line, tagging them and letting them go. They are getting tags back, so they're obviously surviving.

>>624098i would like to see some source on leaving hooks inside fish.
I have personally caught fish with hooks in their throats, they were obviously feeding so they seemed well. The hooks looked to be almost rusted out.
>>
>>624098
Unless you're using saltwater hooks, they rust away within a month or two.

Hell, I have to buy new hooks every couple of years, and that's just sitting in my tackle box. With a dessicant can.
>>
I don't play with my food. The only possible reason for me throwing back a fish is that it's not the legal length or if it's not what I'm trying to catch.
>>
>>624039
If you're really worried use barb less hooks. Catching will be more difficult but hooks will come out easy.
>>
>>624049
I agree with every single point except
>-Do not fish with bait; use lures or flies

What's the reasoning behind this? Minus the Perch family, most species of fish get hooked in the mouth/jaw through skin and the hooks are easy to remove.
>>
>>624852What's the reasoning behind this?

When fishing lurers in almost all situations I can think of the fishermen is attentive to the line. So people set the hook as soon as there is a bite. Often with baits people cast and wait, often with slack lines. A bite might go undetected long enough for the fish to swallow the bait.
Also, some baits might bury the hook completely, the fish senses nothing wrong so they gobble that fucker down.

Most of it comes down to how fast you set the hook.
>>
>>624424
Legality. Pretty rough fines if you take a fish under/over size limits.
>>
>>624039
>I was taught that throwing a fish back into the water with the hook wound in its face causes a slow death by infection, which is less humane than eating it later that day.

You were taught wrong.

It varies a lot by species, time of year, conditions and how it was caught. Some species are more finicky and difficult to release live than others (trout vs bass). Catching them in high stress periods like stream trout in summer usually has a high death likelihood. Catching fish that are deep and surfacing them quickly will inflate their swim bladders and usually kill them or leave them unable to reach the bottom again (unless you deflate or "fizz" the bladder yourself).

Catch and release is also sometimes only important for some species more than others. in general the small quickly maturing species that spawn sometimes multiple times per year like most sunfish are least prone to over fishing while larger ones that take years to reach maturity and may even only spawn once a lifetime (salmon) are very vulnerable.
>>
>>624039
If you're going for catch and release, use barbless and/or G hooks. Its easier on the fish, and easier on you to remove them. Personally, I don't like casting out more often than I can eat them on the spot, so if I'm not hungry, I'm not casting out. But I usually never catch anything under 9", and that's a decent snack in my opinion.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.