[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
QTDDTOT
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3
File: questiondog.jpg (114 KB, 625x469) Image search: [Google]
questiondog.jpg
114 KB, 625x469
Questions that don't deserve their own thread
>>
>>764402

I'll start. So I'm looking for a cheap sleeping mat and have found a couple. One's a folding egg carton design, and the other is self inflating.

Which one is better? Is the folding one going to be complete shit or would it be ok?

self inflating:
http://au.sportsdirect.com/gelert-camper-deluxe-sleeping-mat-782035?colcode=78203518

folding:
http://au.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-folding-sleep-mat-782058?colcode=78205816
>>
>>764405
It would depend on the type of terrain you camp most of the time. Inflating pads get a bad reputation because people are not carefull. I have had the same chinese brandless one for 10+ years and never had an issue with it, and I camp over rocks in mountain terrain most of the time.

That being said, I know that when it gets a puncture it will be while I camp, probably during the night and it will be a pain in the ass to fix that thing, so I am looking for something like the folding one you posted. Besides the fact that they are bulky, they are bretty good (the generic ones I've rented at least).
>>
Anybody know the laws of their country regarding camping and the laws around camping activities?(gathering firewood, bushcraft,..)

I know for Belgium that you can't go wild camping and have to go to a designated camping place full of dutch hicks. Also if you want to hunt or fish you'll need a season permit.

I'm wondering what the laws are in neighbouring countries, especially France and Germany with their big forests.
>>
I've just got a new Goruck GR1. I'm liking it so far, and I've gotta break it in now. Any tips/tricks on breaking in that thick fabric, so it isn't so stiff?
>>
>>765444
Well that's the point of the fabric why did you get it if you didn't like it?
>>
>>764405
Adding on to other anon, the two mats you've linked don't provide an R rating so it's hard to say how well they'll actually work. Thermarest makes a very good folding foam pad called the Z-lite, I've used mine for about 8 years with good results though I usually double it up with a 3/4 length inflating pad underneath because it's not often I camp on soft ground. Self-inflating is a bit of a misnomer, it'll still need a bit of lung power to get it fully inflated. If I had to choose just one then I'd go for the inflating pad.
>>
How do I find places where I can do bushcraft camping? I've done that kinda shit a few times on private land, but I moved to Texas and don't know where I can go.
>>
>>765547
I live in TX and am lucky enough to know several people who own land and let me fuck around in their woods whenever I want to. What part of TX do you live in? If you're in East TX then you can try the national forests there, though I'm not sure how much actual bushcrafting you're allowed to do in a national forest. If you're farther out west then you might be screwed unless there's some Corps of Engineer maintained land around a lake or a wildlife management area that allows camping.
>>
>>765547
You mean setting up a hammock?
>>
>>765552
I'm about 30 minutes north of Dallas. I know there are a few parks around me, but they all appear to be "go set up a tent at this site with a picnic table and an outhouse" kinds of places.

>>765561
Maybe. I'd also like to build a shelter. I just mean that I'd like to cut my own firewood and get kind of remote and whatnot.
>>
probably a retarded question, but in canada, is MRCA autority land crown land or private?
>>
>>766926
Dunno about MRCA but I'm pretty sure TRCA counts as private since the land is posted yellow circle. I'd assume it's the same until you can determine otherwise.
>>
>>764402
why is OP always such a faggot, creating useless fucking threads?
>>
>>767009

I'm not a faggot, I'm just gay for you
>>
>>764405
I used a folder. Then got a thermarest prolite. Fuck folders!

>>764454
Basically the same in all of europe (Sweden is different). The fines vary, but fines all have for camping.

Learn to stealth camp. Of a ranger tells you to leave, leave and stay friendly. Make camp a few km away again.

A camp should not be a piece of land cleared or even have a fireplace.

In the german harz mountains its tolerated to just sleep in weather huts, many people do it, i do it regularly.
>>
Do i need bear spray in northern michigan (glen arbor area)? Camping five days in a couple weeks, dont want to be ill prepared but dont want to bring unnecessary shit.
>>
File: Nammatjknoydart.jpg (2 MB, 2848x2136) Image search: [Google]
Nammatjknoydart.jpg
2 MB, 2848x2136
>>764402
Hey /out/, I'm looking to buy a tent for the first time and could use some advice.

What are some good brands, particularly in terms of bang for your buck? I'm just getting into camping so I'd prefer not to drop $200 on one. And if it's going to be me and one other person, should I get a 2-person, or a 3-person to have a bit of extra room?
>>
>>768051

Rule of thumb is add one to the number of people you want to fit in it. So for a tent that fits 2, buy a 3 person tent. That won't give you loads of room but it will mean you + other person and your gear will fit without being uncomfortable.

As for brands, there's a wide range and it depends where you're going and the environment you'll be in. You should be fine to pick one up for less than $200.
>>
is birch usable for both spindle and hearthboard for a bowdrill?
>>
Our cat is lost probably climbed to our neighbors and they threw her out.
I don't really care about her but the thought that she's out there somewhere and I can do something is killing me.

The cat lived in a house before and wondered around freely the we moved to appartment where cat wasn't allowed to go outside. Now she's out in unfamiliar area. Any tips on where to search? There is a forest very near by too
>>
Why are mainland Chinese so fucking dense when it comes to /out/.
Literally in my store today, and these slants came in. I found out through questioning their trip that they wanted to take a $12 buck 1 foot thick blow up mattress usually made for indoor use, into the southern alps. Mind you this bed weights fucking tonnes, offers no insulation and they plan on doing it in winter.
I sold them 3 $699 -8 down bags, three $400, 4 season sleeping pads, two $800 4 season tents (top kek), 3 $140 buck head torches and some Body wipes, because I said they will probably need to shit in the river and wipe after, and nothing beats moist wipes for anus.
>>
>>768076
What are vestibules though...I can store all my shit in a dry bag and either hang it (if im in the US/Candacuckland with bears) or store it inside the vestibule close by (when I am in Australia)
>>
>>767520
Store all your food, opened, really close to your tent, leave the zip open, and some lube close by. Bear mace won't do shit, best just let Yogi take you.
>>
>>764454
Nigga, just say you are from Syria. :)
>>765491
Seems like a trend on /out/. Guy buys gear, comes onto board, hasn't done his research before-hand.
>>764405
Cartons are bulky and you have a shit nights sleep but good thermal properties for its weight.
Thermarest and Sea to Summit make good shit
The one you posted has no R rating. So you have no idea what you are buying, in terms of thermal retention ie insulation.
Where do you live? NSW atm would be good for 3.0 or 4r at the moment. I'd go a 4.8 or higher for Australian winter. Thermarest make a 4 season, with an R rating of 4.9, is light, anti bacterial treatment so no mould gets a hold of it. High weave nylon under. If you are poor cunt, get a self inflating, they offer relative good R rating for cost but are bulky, with comparable weight to 2-7 R rated air pads.
>>
My tent and sleeping bag take up about 75% of my 65L pack. Is this normal?
>>
>>768100

You ask what vestibules are, then say you can store your bags there so you must have some idea...?

Try rephrasing your question.
>>
>>768103

What's the name of the thermarest model you're referring to? And what's the deal with R ratings? How do they work exactly?
>>
>>768110
Buy UL dry bags, put them on the outside. If it's down, buy a compression bag. If it's synthetic shit, then there is your problem right there. My sleeping bag takes up 2-7 litres (compressed vs uncompressed), and my tent goes on the outside, weighs 890 grams, slides into the right side outer pocket, staped down with the webbing up top. My sleeping pad weighs 500 grams and takes up fuck all. I have a 50 litre back pack, so go figure how much space I have lmao
>>
How do I keep my callouses from decaying so quickly? I can't go outside every day to do work so every goddamn time I get blisters.
>>
>>768121
lol i was joking. I know what I am saying, im just trashed drunk/tired and being a smart arse. >>768122

http://www.paddypallin.com.au/thermarest-neo-air-all-seasons.html

(AUS BUX)

3 season is normally around 3-4R
As you can see the 4 season is 4.9. I was walk as fuck in -5c.

Mind you this is US rated, not Straya

Tbh no real idea how the fuck they figure out R ratings lel.
>>
>>768130

$364 Dollarydoos?! Fuck that

I've seen inflatables in the shops for $70 and I'd spend that much but preferably less would be good.
>>
>>768134
If you are in Aus, Sea To Summit do a .7R for $100 bux. Normally when you pay less you get delamination, no warmth, lower weave count synthetic (ie anything less than 70D nylon on the lower is trash). Also comfort. The cheap ones are normally big long and thick tubes that are a cunt to sleep on. The only downside of a good pad is they are fucking noisy to sleep on because its kind of like wrapping paper lol.
>>
>>768135
Forgot to add...polyester stuff is lighter, but shit for abrasion resistance, so they have to amp the wave count up to make it like Nylon.
I'd buy this if I was going up to a snowy region

http://www.paddypallin.com.au/thermarest-neo-air-xtherm.html
>>
>>768051
A tent is just a shelter. Only put serious money in two scenarios: if you are going to use it for ACTUAL mountaineering (when you need a bomb proof shelter), and if you are going to use it in a very wet enviroment (because once things get wet inside you are doomed until the rain stops, which can take days). In every other scenario a tent is something you only use to sleep (hiking) or relax (car camping).
>>
Does butane gas go bad? I've got one I used two years ago and I was just wondering if it was still usable.
>>
>>768300
Yes. Usually the print the exp date on the bottom, unless it's chink knockoff canisters. The molecules start to decay after the exp date and their dna gets ruinned etc. If it smells like sulfur when you turn it on, it's expired and can cause botulism if you are exposed for too long
>>
>>768310
There was some date in the bottom but the date was before I even bought it. So I tried it, seemed fine.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.