[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
fellow sc/out/s does anyone have experience with these? I haven’t
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: bothy2_large.jpg (49 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
bothy2_large.jpg
49 KB, 500x500
fellow sc/out/s

does anyone have experience with these? I haven’t really been able to find much out there on Youtube compared to other outdoor gear really.

It's a nice concept for a shelter you can throw up in seconds and without need for being able to peg it down.

I'd be interested to hear of anyone using one successfully overnight as a shelter in place of a tarp/tent, and to how well they bear up in regular use- if it's shitty thin material, or decent stuff that will stand up to more than a few semi-emergency uses
>>
>>621380
People pay 50 bucks for a coated nylon bag?

I really need to get into the survival gear business, damn.
>>
>>621422

this is why I am wary about buying, you can pick them up for as little as about £20, but the 'premium brands' can go up as far as about £90
>>
>>621380
I have teh one pictured, got it for about £10 on ebay, didn't expect to win it at that price.

not used it for real, haven't needed to yet, most i've done is get it out in the house and sit in it with the gf. it seems like a good little emergency device, or a nice place to stop for lunch on exposed mountain top if the weather is horrible. seemed to warm up pretty quick in there too, though like i say i've only tried it in the house. it comes with me on walks where the weather might turn nasty.

absolutely not a replacement for a tarp or tent though. emergency shelter only.
>>
>>621380
you can't lie down in one unless you get the really bigs ones. The two man for example is just meant for sitting down.
>>
>>621422

Do you know what mylar is?
>>
>>621781
I don't suppose I can be a mega cheeky bugger and ask you to get it out, and take a few pics could I ?
>>
>>621933
It's pretty much exactly what you see if you google images "terra nova bothy 2", there's not much too it just a big bag with a tubular hole so you can breathe while in it... but if there's any detail bits you'd like pics of i can grab a couple if you want.
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-11-01-19-09-56.png (1006 KB, 768x1280) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-11-01-19-09-56.png
1006 KB, 768x1280
>>622054
It's pretty comical not gonna lie, can't see any proper use for this.
>>
>>622055
Ai it's deffo just an emergency 'oh fucks sake this weather is too much' type of thing.

And it feels as weird as it looks getting in the thing.
>>
>>621380
>>622055
What does this accomplish that a garbage bag does not? I for one would not pay $50 for a glorified garbage bag.
>>
>>622071
>What does this accomplish that a garbage bag does not? I for one would not pay $50 for a glorified garbage bag.

it's bigger than a garbage bag, and won't rip at the first sign of strain. but yeah, i paid a smidge over £10 so it was a bargain. but wouldn't have paid the full RRP.
>>
If you are in charge of a group in any capacity they are pretty much essential. Get a few people sat in them and they warm up very quickly. Thankfully I've only ever had to use mine for eating sarnies in, but I know of people who would probably have died without one.
>>
Good for fart jokes.
>>
>>621824
>Terra Nova Bothy bags use ripstop nylon to create a windproof, highly water resistant and very strong shelter.

>>622075
>won't rip at the first sign of strain
Contractor bags are tough shit, m8, though it probably won't breathe as well. Though for 10 quid it's okay but I really don't see the use.

>>622087
Did you see them? They are rather small and I really don't see what they bring to the table what a tent or a poncho wouldn't.
>>
>>621380
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92B1JCT5jjQ
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.