[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My down sleeping bag is smelling a bit funky. Should I wash it
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4
File: KeltyTrailogicEN20.jpg (98 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
KeltyTrailogicEN20.jpg
98 KB, 1200x1200
My down sleeping bag is smelling a bit funky.
Should I wash it or just air it out?

Some tips on how to wash/care for my down sleeping bag would be helpfull.

Thanks
>>
it's important to do everything you can to avoid having to wash you down or synthetic sleebin bag. use a liner, don't put it directly on the ground ever, don't go into it with bare skin ever, no peeing the bed, no sweaty sex, no shitting/cumming in there either, no snuggling with pets (specially dogs), no packing/storing the sleeping bag unless it's 100% dry (this means hanging it up to air-out/dry for at least a day or two after EVERY camping trip). dont' keep it in long-term storage without occasionally airing it out and fluffing it up to reloft the stuffing.

i don't know how to clean a bag because i do errthing to avoid having to :\
>>
Go to laundramat and use one of those fuck huge front loading machines on the gentlest cycle available. Purchase one of several available commercial products for the purpose of washing down items. I use nikwax. Suspend flat to dry, preferably outside on sunny day. Do not lay on the ground to dry unless you have no choice. Drape across two or more clotheslines is preferable. Do nothing with your bag until you are sure it is completely dry inside and out.
>>
>>621185
Don't forget to put it in the dryer with a few tennis balls.
>>
>>621188

Using a liner would make it way too hot for me.
>>
File: $_3.jpg (30 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
$_3.jpg
30 KB, 800x800
>>621232
a simple silk or even cotton liner adds like 0.1ºF to the heat rating of the sleebin bag friend. it's not like you're going in with a fleece bag or something
>>
File: Marmot Plasma 15.jpg (1 MB, 2448x2448) Image search: [Google]
Marmot Plasma 15.jpg
1 MB, 2448x2448
>>621234
Are there any liners with actual hoods? I'm using a sea to summit liner currently in my bag and the liner doesnt have a hood. Since my head sweats enough that I should probably fix this.
>>
File: plastic+grocery+bag.jpg (71 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
plastic+grocery+bag.jpg
71 KB, 640x480
>>621250
>>
>>621253
they banned those where i live. also looking for something a bit less poorfag than that
>>
>>621185
febreze
>>
>>621250
just wear a cap or beanie when you sleep. then your head and neck won't get tangled up.
>>
>>621257
not really the cap type of guy. if its cold enough that the hood in my M65 jacket wont cut it, I have a nomex balaclava, and i'm definitely not sleeping in that, its hot as fuck
>>
>>621259
then just use a pillowcase ffs. you sure are a princess aren't you >:|
>>
>>621260
looking for a liner with an actual hood specifically anon
>>
>>621250
Sea to summit make mummy liners and liners with pillow pockets too, I believe.
>>
>>621261
> I want what I want
> stomps feet
>>
>>621266
ty anon, now i feel retarded for buying the wrong liner
>>
>>621201
Wash this way
>>621206
Dry this way, also it's good to check it every so often to make sure you aren't baking clumps of feathers.
>>
OK, I am glad my knowledge on this may actually help someone. Worked for years in an outdoor gear shop and was told by a Big Agnes rep how they do it.

Method one: Nikwax down wash. Hand wash in your bath tub, cool to lukewarm water. Rinse thoroughly. Be gentle.

Method two: Woolite, do the same thing.

Drying: put in your dryer at low to medium heat with tennis balls. 5-6 is ideal. Check the bag every 30-45 minutes. It takes a long time.
>>
It can be a real bitch, but sometimes you just gotta do it.
>>
>>621970
I once had a skunk crawl in the bag with me...talk about feeling helpless.
>>
>>621644
Do the tennis balls just agitate it so the down lofts and does not clump?

I don't have a down bag, mostly because I'm cheap, but may invest in one soon.
>>
Drycleaners
>>
Take whatever precaution you want, but
>>622028
as a method of cleaning seems the most reasonable one. If you actually take measures to protect your bag then you wont have to clean it so often. Taking it to the drycleaners once or twice a year is not a bad investment when you think about it. It will save you time and you'll rest assured that professionals are taking care of your gear.

Unless you work at a drycleaners yourself, you can't argue against that.
>>
>>621985
Yes. They make the down hold its loft and keep from clumping
>>
>>621985
Yes. Don't line dry a down bag or jacket. The wet down balls up in the baffles.
>>
>>621185
These are some pretty good guidelines:

http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/blog/quilts-103-cleaning-and-care/
>>
>>621254
>poorfag
>/out/
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.