[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey there /out/ . What do you guys think of the Patagonia Nano
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4
File: 84211_155.fpx.jpg (69 KB, 750x750) Image search: [Google]
84211_155.fpx.jpg
69 KB, 750x750
Hey there /out/ . What do you guys think of the Patagonia Nano Puff? I am planning to use it as a stand alone winter jacket with the possibility of combining it with a shell like Patagonia Torrentshell or Marmot Precip in the future.

I live in an area that rarely gets below -2 ,-3 Celcius in winter. I haven't done any real outdoor activity but I'd love to try hiking in the future.

Is it better to get a reasonably priced hardshell first and wear it with layers or something like a nano puff which I assume would keep me warm enough by itself?
>>
>>758392
if you're in it for the function, you'll be just as good with a wool jacket from the thrift store
if you're in it for the style, then of course go with the patagonia
>>
>>758393
I am in for both honestly. I tried the nano puff and really liked it. I don't like bulky clothing so much and the idea of a slim comfortable jacket over a T-shirt is very appealing. I also think of it as a future investment if I do get in any type of outdoor activity.

Also I'm allergic to wool so that would not work. Is it considered douchey to use outdoor gear in daily life?
>>
>>758394
>Is it considered douchey to use outdoor gear in daily life?

people who judge on brand like that are just as bad as posers who wear outdoors gear bu never actually go outdoors

that said, some people who recognise the brand might raise their eyebrow at you wearing it for day to day use given its high price—people call it patagucchi for a reason
>>
I live in a warm climate. What is the purpose of these jackets? I mean, are they just interchangeable with a fleece?
Are they much warmer than fleece?
>>
>>758437
OP here from what I understand they offer better insulation thus more warmth (maybe would allow you to reduce the number of clothing in your layer) also they are partially resistant to wind and water for outerwear

I want these basically to just wear them over a T-shirt in winter and be comfy
>>
I saw a lass walking her little terrier in a long sleeve thermal and north face puffer vest with one of the most intense fake tans i have ever seen.
Such is life in melbourne.
>>
>>758437
>>758444
They are also more packable/less bulky.
>>
File: big guy approved.jpg (138 KB, 435x580) Image search: [Google]
big guy approved.jpg
138 KB, 435x580
>>758392
I have a Nano Puff vest (synthetic), I think it might be a bit thin as a stand alone jacket, great for keeping the core warm with a shell on. This winter I've been using an Arcteryx Atom LT which work great in -10c to +10c range depending on level of activity.
>>
>>758460
OP here I am actually torn between these two but I can't have the possibility to try or see Arcteryx. Maybe I will buy it online. Do you think it is a better and warmer jacket?
>>
Can anyone recommend a good wool jacket?
>>
I bought one because I travel and like to take only a backpack, no matter how long the trip.

In -3 it wouldn't keep you very warm with only a tshirt underneath. The torrentshell is nice for wind but it doesn't make you much warmer.

I love mine, though. Rather than getting a wool jacket, you could just wear a tshirt / flannel and be good with the nanopuff over those.

BTW you can often find them on ebay for much lower than retail, Especially during the warmer months.
>>
>>758535
Thanks for the detailed answer. I was interested in them because there were good discounts. I was able to try the nano puff and really like it however if I select the Arc'teryx I will have to buy it online wthout seeing ( I checked the measures and M seems to fit me)

If someone has experience with both what are the pros and cons of the nano puff vs the Atom LT Hoody ?
>>
>>758495
>Warmer?
Most likely.
>Better?
I'd say so. I actually bought a second one with a hood because I liked the first one so much.
>>
>>758547
My only doubt is I am not able to physically see or try the Arc'teryx. The only con I see over the nano puff is it seems less wind resistant but that is not a big deal I guess.

Can you elaborate why you think it is better?
>>
>>758392
I have a similar one from LL Bean. It's warm and comfy. It's also very light weight. My personal preference is to wear heavier clothing. When it's cold out I like the feeling of the weight on me like I'm in bed with a puffy flannel comforter on me. I think the way you describe it though it would be good.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (16 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
16 KB, 480x360
>>758549
The way you describe sounds comfy as fuck
>>
OP- I have one- a pullover. I use it all the time. Over a tshirt, as one of many layers. I would never use it as my only layer in cold weather; it's far too thin (for me) to wear that way.
Mine's black, looks sharp, and gets used ALL year.
Keep in mind that the Dillon outlet has great deals and is the only outlet you can call and they'll ship you stuff.
>>
>>758548
As far as I remember it have held up well against wind. At around -10c I started to feel a bit chill on the shoulders, with only tshirt under.

I can't give a fair comparison as I only have the vest. I used it (nano puff) as only middle layer on a (summer) hiking trip in the mountains once and even with wool layer and hard shell on top it was a bit too cold in the arctic winds (around 0c + wind). So I just don't think it'd be warm enough for winter.
>>
I got one for backpacking it works pretty well and it is light and packs small.
>>
>>758571
Thanks anon I'll check it out
>>
>>758573
If you only held a slight chill at -10 with the Arc'teryx that is perfect for me. I have never even been to less than -5 in my life
>>
OP here I ordered the Arc'teryx Atom LT Hoody hope I made the right choice
>>
>>758437
more warmth, less breathability than fleece; less warmth, more breathability than down
>>
>>758930
>more warmth, less breathability than fleece; less warmth, more breathability than down
OP, this is a fair take on the Nano Puff. I've owned one of the pullovers and two of the jackets since their introductions
>>
i like synthetic puffies. i live in a climate that usually sits right above freezing but rains a lot, and having some water resistance + a quicker dry time than down is a big advantage. if it gets too far below freezing i'll layer it with a wool shirt. i have whatever rei's synthetic puffy is called, got it half off and it's one of the better winter purchases i've made. upgrading the precip to a hardshell's the next step, but i'm glad i got the puffy first.

note: a lot of synthetic puffies are polyester outers instead of nylon, they tear really easy compared to nylon shell down jackets. but they're comfier and don't swish.
>>
>>759364
>>759364
if you're in consistent rain i dunno why you wouldn't go for a hardshell
>>
>>758445
My mom amd sister tried to get me one of those North Face fleece jackets for years when I was in HS and all the cool kids had them. Told them not to waste the money.

I had a dank $15 flannel fleece from the grocery store and the rich kids were all asking where to get one. Shit was funny.
>>
>>758392
Love mine, great for layering and seems to be somewhat water repellent. Use it when /out/ because it packs in on itself into a perfect pillow size for slipping in to my sleeping bag hood, slept on it for a month on a recent bike tour. If you can afford it and like supporting brands which seem to adhere to a moral code, go for it. I was lucky and got mine on sale so it didnt hurt my pocket too bad.
>>
>>758392
Micro Puffy jackets are a good investment. I got an Eddie Bauer Hooded Microtherm on clearance 4 years ago. It's the most versatile outdoors jacket I own. I keep it stuffed in it's own pocket in the same compression as my sleeping bag in the summer. I wear it when it's cold at night. In the fall and Winter it works good as a solo jacket down to around 15 degrees if you're really active. I've worn it comfortably to around freezing. The big drawbacks are the material is kind of flimsy and rain and water cut right through it. But if you combine it with a hardshell (for me an eddie bauer cloudcap rain jacket I got on clearance for 60 you've got a great layer solution that I've used all the way from 50 degree fall showers to -10 heavy snow conditions. After around 4 years of hard use it has a few stains and a small tear on the left breast pocket.
>>
File: IMG_20160511_122259_copy.jpg (1 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160511_122259_copy.jpg
1 MB, 2448x3264
OP here my Atom LT hoody has arrived I am glad I went with Arc'teryx I like the fit better and it's super comfy and warm. Thanks everybody for the comments and help
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.