[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
UK Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 10
File: _70092296_pa_muslimdemo.jpg (23 KB, 464x261) Image search: [Google]
_70092296_pa_muslimdemo.jpg
23 KB, 464x261
Where's the best place to go wild camping in the UK? Dartmoor? Highlands? Looking to get as /out/ as possible. Some wooded areas would be appreciated.

Also UK /out/ general
>>
>wooded areas
>UK

you can't be serious
>>
>>755331
Cairngorms is the best imo for accessibility, local towns and the decent walks. Hopefully doing a few munros this month.

>>755334
We have a few wooded areas up in Scotland left m8. Not many I'll grant, or very big, but there are a few.
>>
>>755331
Stay the fuck out of Snowdonia

I was coming up from Beddgelert to Pen y Gwryd last Friday and no joke there were better than fuckin' 40 cars ticketed up for parking on the roadside. Gwynedd council is kicking ass and taking names when it comes to things the area now
>>
>>755334
We do have forests here you fucking degenerate
>>755331
use a good picture next time, paki
>>
Second Cairngorm's, under rated imo they're never really mentioned. My personal favourite place and very wild. You can easily go days without seeing people, let alone and sign of civilisation
>>
>>755437
>degenerate
you misused this word so badly
>>
>>755516
>>
Where's a good spot to knock out to in the Cairngorms then?
I've only really bumbled around the lairig ghru and the glen derry, quite a busy area.
>>
>>755387
Fucking faggot robbing nazis out to make more money off regular people. Who do they think pays for the fucking roads in the first place, who pays their salaries?
>>
I think you mean 'where besides the Highlands is the best place to go wild camping.'

Within the Highlands, Glen Affric is nice; it's the largest fragment of ancient woodland in the UK.
It's useless to list all the good spots for camping in Scotland because pick anywhere on the map outside the central belt and it's going to be at least a 9/10.

In England, yeah Dartmoor is good; never been to Exmoor but I was always told the north coast of the West Country is better for many reasons.
The Offa's Dyke Path takes you through some woods, although they've been worked for so many centuries they're not wild and tangly like other English woods.
Anywhere on the south coast is nice provided the wind isn't strong enough to kick your ass.
Cumbria has too many tourists for my liking but I was there during the high season.
Peak district is sorta gloomy but has a nice wild feel. I'd like to explore more of the north English hills.

>>755437
You don't have forests, you have woodlands. Yes they are very nice, don't feel bad. You want to see a forest, look up Ontario on google earth.
>>
File: SAM_2301.jpg (3 MB, 3000x4000) Image search: [Google]
SAM_2301.jpg
3 MB, 3000x4000
>>756268
Check out Glen Esk. There's a really nice birch wood along the bottom of the glen. You can spend the night in the Sheilin of Glenmark bothy, which is on the edge of the Balmoral estate, and climb Lochnagar the next day. Or you can hike to Glen Clova, which has decent rock climbing (by Scottish standards)
>>
>>758566
>Cumbria has too many tourists for my liking but I was there during the high season.
I would like to go there in the winter. Only people there that time of the year would be the locals and the purists. I've been in the summer and it was depressing.
>>
>>758569
There's also Mount Keen nearby and loch Muick with the decent glas allt shiel bothy.
>>
How big should a forest be before you'd consider wild camping the night in it? I am a noob and wanna practice a night camp in woods close to me, but there's so little woodland that isn't within eyesight of a path. Aren't woodlands utterly devoid of people after 7pmish?
>>
Does anyone here have a menial job opportunity for an sc/out/? I have no college education but I don't mind doing physical labor, working on a farm or aviary is no problem at all. I'm not British but I'm euro and white if that matters. Thanks.
>>
>>759064
>not British
>But I'm White

implying that's not one and the same
>>
I'm planning a walk from the Bristol side of the Severn Bridge to Pen y Fan some time in June. Never been to Brecon Beacons before despite it being pretty close.
>>
Any good locations out of the way in Wales to go? Looking to camp for a few days but no clue on any spots, let alone good ones.
>>
File: 1449145848377.gif (2 MB, 512x338) Image search: [Google]
1449145848377.gif
2 MB, 512x338
If you're looking for "wild"life you should try London.
>>
>>759385
ayy that /pol/ overflow
>>
File: 1455531264311.png (694 KB, 2000x2392) Image search: [Google]
1455531264311.png
694 KB, 2000x2392
>>759385
True mate, True
>>
File: bane farage.png (3 MB, 1280x2880) Image search: [Google]
bane farage.png
3 MB, 1280x2880
>>759385
>>759396
Remember to vote leave lads
>>
>>758560

>Fucking fucking fucking fuck

Such a stupid line of logic. You think they don't pay taxes? Does that mean that council workers get to walk around bossing each other about?

You don't pay their fucking salaries, you angry fuck. The council does. You don't get to be a cunt to them just because 0.0001 of your tax goes towards road maintenance.

You sound like an American

Plus, they wouldn't ticket you if you didn't park like a cunt in the first place, so really it's your own fault.
>>
>>759473

>Plus, they wouldn't ticket you if you didn't park like a cunt in the first place, so really it's your own fault

true. I'm a local and I fucking hate the bastards who take over there place over the summer season.

>>758560

technically the stretch of road being ticked is a marked clearway, you're not supposed to park there, but it has been tolerated fro at least 15 years now because there is genuinely not a great deal of parking space in the area.

given the explosion in casual walking Snowdonia has seen in the last 20 years, due to the ease of access via the A55 dual carriageway were seeing maybe 10x the amount of walkers/climbers that were around when I was a teenager- every laybay or bit of space big enough to fit a car from Llyn Ogwen as far south Beddeglert is full of minibusses and camper vans, and the cars park up where ever the fuck they want on the roadside.

Cyngor Gwynedd has seen some big funding losses so I can see now why they are doing this and fully support it, if you're not parking like a wanker you won't get ticketed

40 cars with a £50 fine, so £2k on a good day.... they could easily make £100k a year from knobbers who look like have just rolled through their local Millets store on the highstreet of Altrincham
>>
>>759450
Hate to get /pol/ here but I'm legitimately curious why you would want to leave the EU. If the EU falls apart NATO will follow suite and then there will be more instability in an already unstable Europe. That alone seems like reason enough to stay in. Then again, I'm not some nationalist asshat that gets a hardon at the mention of WWIII so what the fuck do I know.
>>
>>759573
As someone who was fervently pro-EU, turned ambivalent, I think that both sides have way too high a tendency to paint the other as dumb, racist/leftist/whatever, ignorant, etc...

Staying is generally the more stable option imo, but I also have a lot of doubts about the talks of a super state, the strained relationships with Turkey, Greece, Spain, etc... and how the EU is run. It's easy to break down arguments into
>UNELECTED OFFICIALS, IMMIGRANTS, GET OUT NOW
and
>RACISTS, UKIP, IMPORT/EXPORT COLLAPSE, FUCK
but I think the full consequences of leaving AND staying are still very blurry until the vote is cast.
>>
>>759581
Good response.

I think calling the nationalists racist is not entirely fair. there is no doubt some racism involved but I totally understand where they're coming from (liberal non racist here). Europe's culture is being threatened and nationalists don't want this. Can't blame them for that. Arabs would probably have a similar reaction if the tables were turned.

It pisses me off that Muslim and Arab states aren't doing much to solve the problem. Yeah the problem today is rooted in colonial missteps but all this "religion of peace" bullshit (there is no such thing as a peaceful religion) falls a little flat when Muslims aren't trying to eradicate the unsavory folks in their ranks. Not anti religion here either, I just think there's a lot of lip service of "not all Muslims are bad" and not enough of them solving a major problem in their own religion. I would LOVE to see Isis wiped out by other Muslims. Nothing would ruin the legitimacy of their cause better than that.
>>
>>759581
much like the Scottish referendum, the simple answer is people just don't KNOW what's gonna happen.

Personally I was pro-EU and now anti-EU
>>
>>759573
There is not going to be a major war between European powers. The cost of modern infrastructure and the nuclear bomb prevent that. At worse, there may be some hybrid or proxy war but the EU can't prevent that anyway.

The EU was made to give our companies a bigger intern market and to turn us into another US/URSS. It failed at both. Hard. Now, it act like an Empire and unelected officials tell governments what to do. This is not how democracy work. The fact that said policies are destructive for the countries only make it worse.

Some people at Brussels think the states and the nation s must be destroyed, Brits merely react to this.
>>
>>759629
I agree with you, and so is the guy you are answering to, but we have a board for this.
>>
Im in Bath, anyone know where I should go and camp? Should I just go to exmoor? Can I camp wild there and have a fire etc?

Also, can someone help me figure out the essentials I need? So far I have

>tent
>sleeping bag
>head torch
>lantern
>pocket torch
>first aid kit
>water bottles
>stacking cooking pots
>knife

What else should be on my shopping list?
>>
>>759645
Hatchet and sleeping pad
>>
>>759645
mora
>>
>>759573
I think it's quite unlikely that NATO will collapse even in the event that a Brexit shakes the EU up a bit.
It's separate from the EU and mostly guided by the Americans and they won't let it fail.
>>
>>759645
Have you looked at maybe trying the Forest of Dean?
Although I suspect wild camping might be restricted there.
>>
http://www.walkingbritain.co.uk/regional-lists-of-walks
Enjoy
>>
>>759621

>(there is no such thing as a peaceful religion)
>not anti religion

fucking eye roll

Yeah you are, you "liberal non racist"
>>
>>760650
>(there is no such thing as a peaceful religion)

how many fucking Buddhists do you see blowing up buses ?
>>
>>759762
Other good websites are where2walk (Lakes and Dales) and walkingenglishman (everywhere).

>>759669
>hatchet
>UK
Personally I think it's unnecessary, probably because most places I camp have no trees. I would guess it's the same for most other people too, but maybe not.

>>759573
I used to be pro-EU, but I'm now leaning, begrudgingly, towards leaving. Personally I have a number of problems with the referendum and I hope people at least try to form a reasoned opinion before just voting 'out' because they heard a thing about bananas once.
My main thoughts are:
>immigration
~50% of migrants come from the EU, I don't think current levels of immigration are sustainable (despite the economic benefit so far). If we could end the free movement of people from the EU, it would go some way to slowing this. Useful migrants would still be able to move here.
>trade/economy
We are an important trading partner to the EU (though not as important as some would have you believe), so hopefully we would be able to get a decent trade deal. From what I've read, staying or leaving will make little difference to the economy, though I'd be interested to read something saying otherwise.
>environment
Less people means less building needs to be done in the UK, keeping green spaces green. I also have a bit of the problem with the CAP. This is one of the areas that I'm most conflicted on because the EU has done quite a bit for the environment.
>>
>>760926

Make sure you include the anon I was referencing in your posts.
>>
>>759621

see

>>760926
>>
>>759645
>head torch
>lantern
>pocket torch

So it's a lantern as long as it's not in your hands? Fucking britts I swear you people should stop naming things.
>>
>>761145
I mean the other way around but you know what I mean you bong fucks
>>
>>761145

Makes perfect sense to everyone else, mate.

This, from a guy who lives in one of two countries world-wide that still uses imperial measurements.
>>
>>761191
Let's not bring up these differences, you'll inevitably get the "well look who drives on the 'wrong' side of the road" reply. This is /trv/, we don't need to argue semantics when everyone will clearly understand what you're talking about.
>>
>>761433
>This is /trv/

Guess again
>>
>>755331

>That picture

Being a brit is 99% suffering and 1% self hate
>>
File: birdswitharms2.jpg (31 KB, 480x512) Image search: [Google]
birdswitharms2.jpg
31 KB, 480x512
Seriously tho, i consider wales, scotland or england for three weeks in september. Just walking around by my own, camping whereever, enjoying existance.

What would be a nice area for that?
>>
File: 1426875800449.jpg (1 MB, 2288x1712) Image search: [Google]
1426875800449.jpg
1 MB, 2288x1712
>>761710
Cumbria (lake district), Parts of Northumberland, The South Downs, Peak district, Scottish Highlands, Brecon beacons.
>>
>>761710
Cornwall and Devon, or Cumbria, or the Yorkshire Dales.
Scotland is more rugged and less pastoral. Go there if you don't want to see many people.
>>
>>761742
>>761763
Thanks, based britbongs, will consider all of those. Any problem with revealing that i'm masterrace? I'm pretty generic and a nice dude. But i could pose as a swiss citizen.
>>
File: 63092229.jpg (82 KB, 350x449) Image search: [Google]
63092229.jpg
82 KB, 350x449
>>761774
"masterrace"? I beg your pardon?
>>
>>755331
me and a mate are planning a few days wild camp in North Yorkshire moors in a bit of woodland in the summer.
>>759645
I'd add a small folding box stove for cooking and keeping everything legal. Also water purification tablets if you want to do some hiking where you won't have time to boil water. Also some cordage and duct tape. Never know when your tent can spring a leak or a shoelace/guyline might snap.
>>
>>761844
You heard me.

A pic of techno viking may mean that you subscribe to a dead end in the cultural evolution of the germanic peoples.

Also, namefagging sucks. Y do it?
>>
File: posers.jpg (145 KB, 500x695) Image search: [Google]
posers.jpg
145 KB, 500x695
>>762824
I don't know what you mean by mastterrace.
I namefag because of the bantz mate

also

>not knowing manowar
>>
>>761710
I've come across quite a few folk with that idea hanging around Aberdeenshire and the Royal Deeside in previous summers.
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.