[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My new bushcraft hatchet
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: Bahco.jpg (65 KB, 269x480) Image search: [Google]
Bahco.jpg
65 KB, 269x480
What does /out/ think of my latest acquisition? It was only 25 euros which I thought was not much for a swedish quality axe. The handle needs some work as the varnish/paint is very slippery in hand. I'm going to scrape and sand the handle and put some boiled linseed oil on it.
>>
Dunno if you have access to it but there is a rubberized coating that you can dip stuff like tools in for a non slip grip.
>>
>>751568
Congratulations anon!

You are now qualified to argue on the internet over 'what bushcrafting is'.

Be sure not to scratch it!
>>
>>751568
Its cute CUTE
>>
>>751568
Can I use any other type of oil or it has to be linseed?
>>
File: qer.jpg (324 KB, 510x908) Image search: [Google]
qer.jpg
324 KB, 510x908
>>751568
-Made in Sweden
-c55 Steel
-Hand forged
-32€
>>
>>751897
Tung oil or mineral oil are alternatives. wipe off the excess of whatever you decide to use or it can get sticky.
>>
>>751897
>>751993
Pure non-boiled linseed oil is the best. Mineral oil is toxic and causes cancer.
>>
File: 1442695982001.jpg (103 KB, 468x474) Image search: [Google]
1442695982001.jpg
103 KB, 468x474
I just received my new Gransfors Bruk Small Forest Axe. I guess I'm one of those axe hipsters now.

r8
>>
>>752070
LOL NO.

Non-polymerized linseed oil takes fucking forever to dry and remains gummy. Most linseed oils are chemically polymerized and not bad choices...they dry much faster and won't come off on your hands for dozens of uses afterward.

I like Tried & True brand boiled linseed/bees wax combo. It is actually boiled to polymerize, and has a chunk of bees wax mixed in to provide some parting agent on the wood. Not enough to bother grip like unpolymerized linseed, but just enough to keep away blisters.
>>
>>751568
s'alright... remember, anon: Proper Form
>>
>>752217
>Non-polymerized linseed oil takes fucking forever to dry and remains gummy
He's right.
>>
>>752070
>Mineral oil is toxic and causes cancer
Fucking alarmist. Do your research before shooting your mouth off. Unrefined mineral oil is carcinogenic, yes, but purified/refined mineral oil has not been shown to be. Ultimately, I suppose the health risks associated with use of mineral oil are dependent on the quality and purity of the mineral oil.
>>
>>752393
>Do your research before shooting your mouth off.
But you agree some mineral oils are carcinogenic. I just don't want some /out/ist to use motor oil for his axe handle.

>>752217
>>752292
I just checked and the oil I've been using is in fact boiled. Thank you for sorting this out for me.
>>
>>751993

These are all drying oils. Tung oil has some waterproofing effects. BLO is cheaper and includes drying agents so you can get it on faster. YouTube has numerous instructional videos on how to apply it. tl;dw: it's easy but takes a couple weeks to do right.

The key thing is that they penetrate the wood, then polymerize. So-called "drying oils". This takes time. Be very careful that the towels you use don't spontaneously combust.

Tung vs BLO is a big religious debate. Walnut oil also works, but is generally considered inferior to both in every way. Except in one sense: while tung and BLO are perfectly safe IMO for hand tools, walnut oil is totally non-toxic for food prep. Also readily available in a typical hipster's kitchen. Just be prepared for a LONG ass time waiting for it to dry between coats.
>>
the steel may be a bit on the soft side, be aware of that.

remove paint, sharped up if needed, apply linseed oil, congrats youve got a perfectly servicable axe man
>>
>>752131
Doggo/10
>>
The €12 green plastic handled hatchet from lidl is actually very good, but needs a bit of work with a file.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.