[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fishing & Tackle Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 92
File: image.jpg (75 KB, 480x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
75 KB, 480x720
#31- "Only 4 Days Til' The Weekend!" Edition

Previous Thread:
>>742204

So Texasbro may or may not try to make a little spreadsheet for beginner rods and reels <$100 to help new anons out. I figure we try and cover 2 or 3 spinning reels from each of the main brands. A reel around $40, and maybe another in the $75-$100 range from each brand that are readily available at most big retailers. I already mentioned a few in the last thread like Shimano Sienna and Sedona, Abu Cardinal and Orra, Daiwa Laguna, Pflueger Presidents, etc. We welcome any other reccommendations for the list.

Same goes for rods- Shimano Sellus, Abu Vengeance and Vendetta, Ugly Stiks of course, Berkley Lighting Rods, Fenwick Eagles, St. Croix Triumph, and maybe some Bass Pro and Cabela's store brand rods.

>inb4 tripfag circlejerk
If you can't beat em, join em!
>>
>>743528
basic stuff, I'll try to find the type of rod I'll be using that I have.
>>
>>743528
A lot of those prices don't seem too bad considering the value of the Loonies or whatever your Maple Dollhairs are called. But I think at Bass Pro, you will at least have options.

You can spend $3-$4 on Rooster Tails instead of $7 on Mepps. As well as $3 on Bass Pro brand cranks if you don't want to drop $10ea on a bunch of Rapalas. And for senko worms, you can get $4 bags of Yum and Zoom baits instead of $10 Yamamoto bags.
>>
Hype for new rod and reel I'm going to buy tonight, 7 ft 6 ultralight
2000 size reel
Going to get a spare spool for it
4 lb mono on one, and 15 lb braid on the other

All for around $100
>>
>>743536
Awesome thanks! I'm hoping to get the basics under budget.
>>
File: image.jpg (451 KB, 1205x1901) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
451 KB, 1205x1901
>>743531
I want to add something about the little charts for the rods and reels. I'm hoping the purpose isn't going to be used to say "This reel is better than that reel" or anything like that, but rather show the sizes they come in, pricing, materials, and stuff like that. So if a newbie anon wants to pick up a decent rod and reel, he can see the chart first and then when he goes to the store to check them out, he will at least know some rods and reels that we have used and weren't total pieces of shit.

>>743535
Wut kind of line are you running again? What strength?
>>
>>743537
What rod and reel nigga?

Gotta be fun with that 7'6" rod and little 1/16oz lures. I always used 5'-6' rods for ultralights but I could see the upsides of a long, light action rod. Launch really light lures, jig over some weeds close to shore, etc.
>>
File: image.jpg (133 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
133 KB, 640x1136
Less than an hour left if anybody wants to take advantage of 20% off any item...

http://link.dcsg.com/r/QBQ1EI/GP6WU/BMYLPU6/APXIZD/MBG5D/ON/h?a=04192016FlashSaleSingleItem&b=301316750

I would use it on a reel but I'm still not sure what I'm trying to do.
>>
>>743541
>I'm hoping the purpose isn't going to be used to say "This reel is better than that reel" or anything like that.

Nah I wouldn't push any products that I haven't tried personally and I haven't tried that many different rods/reels, so I don't have an authority to say one is better than another.

>he will at least know some rods and reels that we have used and weren't total pieces of shit.

Yeah that's kind of what I'm going for. If they walk into a store blind it can be overwhelming with all the options there, so hopefully this could narrow it down for them a bit.

I'm gonna go hit up some ponds and see if I can't catch something. Once I get home I'm going to at least get down the different reels/rods we wanna use and maybe the layouts.
>>
>>743541
right now basic 10lb mono but looking to get 15lb powerpro braid.
right now my rods a zepco 662m w/ endurance reel? I tried looking it up but it doesn't seem to exist, nor does the other storm reel I have probably discontinued off-brands. Seems to work fine though so I'm happy
>>
>>743543
okuma sst kokanee rod, though it will e mostly used for trout, panfish, bass and pickerel, ( i could get it for 4$ cheaper if i got it in pink ) reel is a daiwa legalis , already called daiwa customer service and asked a bout buying a spare spool they said it would be about $6
>>
>>743550
>this could narrow it down for then
Exactly what I'm thinking. For rods and reels, pretty much just go over cost, materials, sizes, and maybe extra options they come with. That way when anon sees 20 different reels in his price range, maybe he will see 3-4 reels in there that are on the list and will know they are solid choices and can narrow it down quite a bit.

>>743551
Ok, the line weight is more important than the reel when it comes to picking out lures. With 10lb mono, you won't be able to cast 1/8oz lures too far. So if you are looking at some bullet weights, jigheads, inline spinners like Mepps and Rooster Tails, and crankbaits, I would try to run 1/4oz+.
>>
>>743556
aw fuck yea, it seems bass pro, has a sale on. Looks like it's good timing. IDK if I should invest in a new rod and the like too. Since I'm basically starting from scratch and this 'sticky' event for new fishers is trying to take shape, this truly is chance timing
>>
>>743591
Just a rod or rod and reel? And budget?

Also what kind of sale do they have going? When I was at my local Bass Pro on Sunday, they had Zoom baits for 20% off but that was about it.
>>
>>743596
It seems like you said 20% off most lures and the like(pretty much across the board) according to the flyer- workender event- 15th - to the 1st. I have a rod that I thinks okay and reel as well but when I looked them up i couldnt find any info on them. see>>743551

So I'm thinking of putting my budget aim as 150$ max
>>
>>743591
>>743596
Also, you're the anon from here, right? >>743551

Still not sure what size that rod and reel you mentioned is, but if you are going to get a second setup, I think you should go a little lighter. I have really been digging 2000-2500 size reels. That size is in between a light combo for panfish and a heavier bass combo with 10lb like you have now. You could run 6lb mono on there, but I really like 10lb braid on the 2000-2500 size reels. That way I can cast 1/8oz lures a pretty good distance and catch panfish like muh Mayan cichlids, but I also don't have an issue throwing a 1/2oz crank or ripping a lure through some weeds and landing a 5lb largemouth. 6'6" medium weight rod for those 2000-2500 reels would be my chice.
>>
>>743601
Shimano IX2000 Spin Reel is seeing postive reviews and my zepco rod is 6'6" but I might be fishing with my Dad, so he'll also need a 6'6" rod.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>743600
So $150 on a rod and reel combo? Or $150 for rod, reel, and tackle?

If you are spending $150 on a rod and reel alone, you have a ton of options. I would check out some of the Bass Pro Johnny Morris Carbonlite or Pro combos. If you want to go less, Bass Pro always had Pflueger President combos on their Graphite Series rods for really cheap. Last combo I spent around $150 on was my Pflueger President LE 30 (but it is closer in size to other brands' 2000 or 2500 sizes) on an Abu Garcia Vendetta rod. Rod and reel were $80ea. It had been a good setup so far.

The $80 Pflueger President is the "Limited Edition" black and red, but the regular Presidents are blue and silver/gold and run $50-$60. They are really popular reels in that price range. Just go on Bass Pro's website and see how many reviews they have for the President.

>>743608
Hmm, I'll take a look at that Shimano. Shimano Siennas are the go-to for cheaper reels. They run $30(US) most places. Otherwise the Shimano Sedonas are a good step up around $60-$70, very solid reels.

As for rods, depends on your budget but Shakespeare Ugly Stiks are a mainstay for millions of people. They aren't the most sensitive, but for $40, they will last forever. Berkley Lightning Rods are decent for around the same price. Bass Pro Graphite Series rods are also around $40 and are pretty sturdy reels. Next step up, I would check out the Bass Pro Bionic Blade for around $80. Abu Garcia Vendettas are the same price. You will notice quite a step up in sensitivity over the $40-$50 rods. Shimano Sellus rods are nice for around $60 as well and they have lots of options for action. All prices are USD btw.

Check out the Bass Pro website and see what they carry in-store. If you see something that looks good, post it here so we can check it out.
>>
File: image.jpg (93 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
93 KB, 640x1136
>>743608
Pic related is the reel you were looking at? I would highly reccommend grabbing the Shimano Sienna instead. They are only $30 and it will be such a huge difference. That plastic reel isn't going to last you.

Shimano Sienna on a Shakespeare Ugly Stik is a great little tough combo. Mainebub and I both have that exact setup. I have had mine for years and years with zero issues.
>>
>>743611
I will do some more research, it's more $150 for all 3. I know that's stretching it, but I guess I'm also looking for a good rod and reel for either my dad or me to take on a fishing trip while the other uses the zepco rod and knockoff spinning reel.
>>
File: 20160416_091141.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20160416_091141.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
muh lake.

Anyone have tips on catching lake trout this time of year? Have been trolling crankbaits and spoons with some success, but I think I need some other things to try. Considering live bait.
>>
>>743613
>Shimano Sienna on a Shakespeare Ugly Stik is a great little tough combo. Mainebub and I both have that exact setup. I have had mine for years and years with zero issues.
Awesome thanks, I'll check to see if they have that in store tomorrow! (I think the budget will stretch a little because I forgot about setting up my dad as well but this really helps)
>>
File: 24527783457.png (2 MB, 1493x839) Image search: [Google]
24527783457.png
2 MB, 1493x839
>>743615
I wouldn't troll with livies.

try greyghost, it's a beast up here in sebago. also make sure you're hitting the correct water column

>>743616
it's a good combo. I got my reel on craigslist, and the rod I found in a boss' garage and he just gave it to me. had to replace a ferrel, but it's my most used freshwater rod I think mine is the 5'5 I also have a 7' which is a nice size for a 3-4k series reel

>pic was taken yesterday 5 minutes before dead low. No birds in the bay, they are all working the small bait, elvers, and fry inshore. Pretty sure I saw one eat a shad today about 3 miles inshore. Few sturgeons jumping in the flats of my river too, it's about to get REAL REAL fishy on the coast of Maine. Reports of striper hitting Cape Cod real hard right now. Just talked to a buddy on the phone in the canal saying he hooked about 3 good sized fish today.

my dick could cut diamonds.
>>
>>743616
New, that setup would be $70 US for the Sienna and Ugly Stik.

Instead of the Ugly Stik, Bass Pro has these store-brand rods for $20. They are called the "Power Series" or "Power Plus" and of you got a Sienna for $30 and one of those BPS Power Plus rods for $20, you will have a real solid setup for $50. I have one of those rods on an old reel, just wanted something cheap to have another combo setup for panfish. I have not had an issue with it. You can normally cheap out on rods a bit more than reels and won't notice as much of a difference. But if I had $60 to spend on a rod and reel, I would do a $40 reel and $20 rod over a $20 reel and $40 rod.

Since you are trying to keep it cheaper, you may want to just grab a Bass Pro combo that is already setup for you. They have store brand combos from like $25 up to $200, and you get a lot for your money when you buy a store brand combo. I'm gonna search the website and post a couple of those for you.
>>
File: 765856785678.png (2 MB, 1469x833) Image search: [Google]
765856785678.png
2 MB, 1469x833
>>743622
can anyone identify these fish. I recorded so much of them today.
>>
>>743628
Thanks a ton. yea the fact I see the prices as US and not CAD does put a damper on it, but knowing the combo I can keep my eye out for sales and if they're both on sale in-store tomorrow I might go for it. Then again I'll check out the BP combos, and their rods as well
>>
File: thisfuckingcameraissogood.png (2 MB, 1477x831) Image search: [Google]
thisfuckingcameraissogood.png
2 MB, 1477x831
>>743629
>pic related it's me.

Going to upload all the footage of the little fish I captured today, it actually came out better than expected.
>>
File: image.jpg (75 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
75 KB, 640x1136
>>743629
Gotta be some fry

>>743616
>>743628
Pic related are pretty good looking setups. They always have a huge rack of them at my Bass Pro. Can't beat it for $40. If you are going to continue to run that Zebco with the 10lb line, I think you should do the medium-light setup with 4lb or 6lb mono and you could possibly do 10lb braid in the future if you want. Otherwise if you kinda want to replace the Zebco, get the medium combo with 8lb mono or 15lb-20lb braid if you want to go that route.

The cost of this would be the same as buying that plastic Shimano 2000i and a really cheap rod, but this will be much nicer.

http://m.basspro.com/Quantum-Bill-Dance-Special-Edition-Rod-and-Reel-Spinning-Combo/product/1410020822137/
>>
File: image.jpg (110 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
110 KB, 640x1136
>>743632
>>743634
Any of these would be really nice too. The Bass Pro Tourney stuff isn't bad at all. But probably add like $10 for CAD.
>>
>>743634
Thanks I'll probably keep the Zepco and see the instore pricing of this vs the uglystick w/shimano- maybe they'll be 20% off as well. My Dad and I alternate rods, so it'll be nice trying both mono and braid out when we go fishing and seeing how we like them.
>>
File: image.jpg (75 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
75 KB, 640x1136
>>743641
Here's another one that might be worth taking a look at. They have one on a 6'6" rod and it looks like that would be good for the 6lb mono or 10lb braid as well.

http://m.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-Crappie-Maxx-Signature-Series-Spinning-Combo/product/1308030621394/

And remember what I said about the Bass Pro "Power Plus" rods earlier too. Definitely grab the Shimano Sienna reel if you want to buy the rod and reel seperate. Abu Garcia Cardinals are right around that price range too and aren't bad. But if you want to save a few $$ on the rod and reel so you have more to get a tackle bag and some lures, skip the Ugly Stik and grab a Bass Pro brand rod for $20.

You will be fine with a cheaper rod since they still hold up pretty well, but I wouldn't go any cheaper than the Sienna or Cardinal reels. If you do, you will end up with a plastic reel like that Shimano and they are just really flimsy and eventually stuff will start stripping out and breaking, especially if you use it a bit.

If you can budget a rod/reel combo like that Bass Pro Tourney Series setup, I think that will be the best for the money. Sorry I threw a lot of ideas at you, but at least you have an idea of a few different things to check out when you are at Bass Pro. Play around with them a little, find the right size, and get what you like.
>>
File: image.jpg (78 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
78 KB, 640x1136
>>743641
Here's one more Bass Pro rod and reel combo for $40. I really think any of these Bass Pro brand rod/reel combos for $40-$50 are the way to go in your situation. Since they are store brand and sold together, it means you normally get a lot for the money and they will compete with $60-$80 setups if you were to buy rods and reels from another brand seperate.

http://m.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-Viper-Rod-and-Reel-Spinning-Combo/product/1501310825361/
>>
>>743652
Thanks, I'll be sure to look for the Powerplus series rods as well. I'll weigh the tourney series (bill dance if it's in stock) against a sienna and bp rod and see how it stacks up there. It's a lot to take in but I plan on submitting one final 'list' for review to serve as a starter guide basis before I go, and then report back on how it went.
>>
>>743613
I'm a dumb ass because I LOVE that rear drag shit.

Also got the rod for my Skeet Reese carbon Victory. Berkley Lightning Rod Shock thank you Peps) $1 at Walmart +$2 for a 2year replacement.
1 piece 6'6"
LOVE it for 19 moneys!!!

Then went to BPS and dropped another $60
Gotta say, Joes Favorites look like some damn fine spinners. Will post pics
>>
>>743615
Current water temp?
>>
>>743665
Sounds good. I'm almost positive they will have that Bill Dance rod too. Both Bass Pros near me always have a huge rack of them. Same with all the store brand combos like the Tourney Special, Crappie Maxx, and I think I have even seen that Viper one around there lately. They have a big selection of them too, so you can find a size you like. Just gotta decide if you want to go medium-light or medium. I think medium-light with 6lb line will be good since it will allow you to cast lighter lures for panfish and smaller-medium bass.

What are you doing for a tackle box/bag? I highly reccommend a bag over a hard box. Plano Weekenders are nice, but any of the Bass Pro or Browning ones aren't bad either. The tackle backpacks are pretty nifty too but cost a lil more.

You better catch some fish this weekend.
>>
>>743667
>$1 at Walmart
Wut?

Those Lightning Rod Shocks are pretty good for the money, rignt? I like the handles they do on them and the blank seems decent too. Definitely nice action for the price range.
>>
File: one.png (2 MB, 1475x835) Image search: [Google]
one.png
2 MB, 1475x835
>>743667
> I LOVE that rear drag shit.

It's pretty fun sometimes, and if you're used to adjusting drag on the rear why not get one?

>>743667
>insuring a shit rod
that's actually pretty smart t b h
>>
File: 1445808410305.jpg (183 KB, 1124x1024) Image search: [Google]
1445808410305.jpg
183 KB, 1124x1024
What are the pros/cons of having braid line over mono? Is fluorocarbon a meme?
>>
>>743672
I actually hand't thought about a tackle box and I didnt know they came in bags. huh, I'll be sure to be on the lookout for them.
>>
File: two.png (2 MB, 1477x831) Image search: [Google]
two.png
2 MB, 1477x831
>>743681
why not both? braid running line and a fluoro leader
>>
File: IMG_0769.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0769.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>743613
My Shimano, on a South Bend Graflex which I strangely love except I tend to toss the top piece occasionally. Glad on the 1 piece SHOCK.
>>
>>743673
$19...... + $2 for 2 year replacement
37 less than BPS
>>
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>743675
>shit rod
My Lightning Rod had been holding up pretty well, and I use it all the time with that Okuma reel on it. They run $50 for the Shock so it isn't the cheapest rod.

>>743682
Yeah man, we live in the 21st century. Everybody uses tackle bags now. The only people that use the old school boxes are children and senile old fucks. I feel like you can fit a lot more in them compared to a similar hard box. Plus you can add and swap out boxes when needed. Like I have an extra box with stuff for saltwater in it and I can leave it at home when I'm fishing at ponds and lakes for bass.
>>
>>743675
>insuring
I know, right? I never get the plan but $2 for a 1 piece that I know I"m gonna beat the F* out of. How could I not....?
>>
>>743690
baffling, it's been ages. Time to catch up.
>>
File: three.png (2 MB, 1471x833) Image search: [Google]
three.png
2 MB, 1471x833
>>743693
that is SMART haha
>>
>>743690
>old school boxes are senile old fucks
I'm actually thinking of using the old schools for my salt gear. Lures are fucking big and trying to use a 3600 is stupid.
>>
>>743688
Damn, how did you get it for $19? That's crazy. I paid $39 for mine at Walmart which is still $10 less than everywhere else.

>>743681
This is another one I need to make a copypasta of.

Braid is much stronger than mono in a similar diameter. Braid floats a littke more than mono. Mono degrades much faster than braid, mono lasts one season while braid can easily last 5 seasons. Braid is more visible in the water compared to mono, so it is a good idea to run a flourocarbon leader in really clear water with picky fish.

Braid doesn't stretch line mono, so you can feel every little bite through the line but don't have that little shock protection and have to be careful not to set the hook too hard and rip the hook away from the fish. Braid is also a little more slippery so when you spool line onto your reel, you better have it on there real tight or all of the line will just spin around on the reel spool. But lots of reels now have little rubber parts on the spool so the flouro grips. Otherwise you can do a mono backing or put a strip of electrical tape on the spool before you tie the braid on so it grips.

Flourocarbon is best for leaders IMO, but it sinks unlike mono and braid so it is good to use if you want to run lures really deep. Flouro is stiff as hell though, I hate tying knots with heavier test flouro.

I think that covers most of it.
>>
File: originalscentx10_695_general.jpg (50 KB, 500x313) Image search: [Google]
originalscentx10_695_general.jpg
50 KB, 500x313
What are your favorite powerbait colors?
>>
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>743700
You need to do some customization like I do to my 3700 boxes. Pic related. I take the Dremel with a little cutting wheel and cut out some of the fixed horizontal dividers. They also make deep boxes and ones with odd shaped sections if you look online.
>>
File: 89789o63456.png (3 MB, 1475x827) Image search: [Google]
89789o63456.png
3 MB, 1475x827
>>743700
I have a surf bag by canyon, and a small toolbox that I keep in a shoulder sack.

toolbox carries some plugs, terminal tackle, a sibiki or too, and some pre-cut fluoro and mono leaders. canyon bag has an arsenal of bucktails, and two balsa poppers.

I try to pack small as often as possible, so I am selective about what I bring, plastic trailers and joe's pork rind fit in the small sack with the toolbox.
>>
>>743531
Every review for the Abu vendetta said they break off if they catch a 4+ pound largemouth
>>
>>743703
I have never caught fish on anything but yellow
>>
>>743702
One of the biggest reasons no one uses braid here is because of the rocks, mono gets chewed up and keeps going, just snick it off if you get it caught up. Braid pops with ease no matter what you run
>>
>>743690
I use old school boxes so fuck you
>>
File: 1459939483395.gif (1001 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1459939483395.gif
1001 KB, 640x480
>>743705
>all of that saltwater stuff that will never be used
>>
>>743713
It's ok anon, they are making great strides in Alzheimer's treatment.

>>743708
Idk, my Vendetta has been running fine for 6 months with a ton of use. Maybe I'm just lucky. I know another anon has a Veritas which is almost the same rod but a better blank and he loves that thing. I've never had an issue with my Abu rods aside from the one I broke a few weeks ago being a dumbass.
>>
>>743715
I know, I'm slowly stealing baitholder hooks and jigheads from that box and putting them in my main box.
>>
>>743702
>how did you get it for $19? That's crazy
No shit. I'm srsly thinking of going back and buying ALL of them.
>>
File: 20160417_124858.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20160417_124858.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>743669

41-43 in the bay pictured, where smelt are running up tribs and drawing tons of lakers, more like 43-46 in some shallower bays, which are devoid of Lakers currently.. By next weekend I am hoping it is around 45-50.

pictured is one of the shallow bays that has no lakers, not sure what to even do there. Not going to fish there til it his 55+ degrees I think, and at that point it'll be bass and Pike.
>>
https://youtu.be/ukAQ6_b-F1E

small fishies.

what are they?
>>
>>743727
Gonn be slow in the 40's
Best bet is a fish finder and jig the depth. Trout start to become (more) active at 50F which we just broke here. Booooyah!
>>
>>743721
When I bought mine, it was because I bought that Okuma reel on Thanksgiving night and decided I needed a rod for it at like 2am. Went to the Walmart down the street, and it was pretty much the only rod that wasn't a giant heavy weight rod, cheap garbage, or broken. They had like 5 of those Lightning Rods there and I think I got the one that still had a tip. Fucking nigs.

I wonder if they're on clearance by me. I would definitely grab one or two if they aren't broken.
>>
File: ff laker.jpg (118 KB, 1224x1632) Image search: [Google]
ff laker.jpg
118 KB, 1224x1632
>>743735

Got the fish finder, I mark a lot of them near the creek mouths early in the mornings, then they seem to scatter. Just gonna drift big shiners and troll spoons again this weekend. Really can't wait for pike season to warm up.
>>
what size jig heads do you use and what do you hook onto them? or do you stick with baithooks and splitshot instead?
>>
>>743738
I need a good fish finder. but I don't want to spend a lot of dosh, or get a big clunky thing.
>>
File: ff smelt.jpg (336 KB, 1714x2285) Image search: [Google]
ff smelt.jpg
336 KB, 1714x2285
>>743741

My little PiranhaMax 197c is adequate so far. It was 140 on Amazon. Keep in mind the width of the "cone" of the sonar beam is a major consideration. Mine is 28 degrees width at low frequency, which means that at a 50 foot depth the width at the bottom of the cone is only about 25 feet. Not terrible, but everything above it is narrower, a fish could pass 10 feet to my left or right and not be picked up unless it was 30+ ft down or so. Overall though I'm happy with mine so far, and I doubt I'll replace it soon, but I'd say save for the best FF you can afford.
>>
>>743622
>I wouldn't troll with livies.

Nah, going to drift some big shiners and see what happens.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>743739
I have all different size jigheads from 1/32oz up to 1/4oz+. I like running them with flukes sometimes, and I use them a ton with PowerBait curly tail grubs. I'm a huge fan of the underspins too, the jigheads with the little blades. 1/8oz underspin with a 2"-3" Gulp curly tail minnow. Pic related (minus the bent hook).

And I never use split shots with soft plastics. I normally Texas rig them with a 1/8oz or 1/4oz bullet weight for worms or lizards or whatever.
>>
>>743741
Garmin D4 I think mine is. 129 USD
>>
File: 20160417_222843.jpg (3 MB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
20160417_222843.jpg
3 MB, 4032x3024
>>743717

I just got a veritas spinning rod and have had a vengence casting rod for quite a while. Both rods are super nice, but the veritas is some next level shit for me. I mentioned how "stiff" and sensitive it is compared to my ugly stik elite. Both are fast action i belive but the veritas i can feel every blade of grass on. The reel seat is very nice and it casts a 1/4oz mepps beautifully. Would defintely recommend for 99 bucks.

I paired that with a shimano sahara which has been super buttery so far. Got to break it in with a pickerel and 2 one pound bass. Not too bad.

I also got a spool of suffix super 21 6llb mono. Its a "low stretch" high viscosity monofilament. Its really good actually. For 7 bucks for 330 yards, i figured why not. Its a little more springy than braid, but still low visibility and a touch of stretch. Defintely interesting.
>>
File: image.jpg (193 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
193 KB, 640x1136
Only caught one fish today on that plopper thing from the MTB.

Anyway, let's get a solid list of reels going. I'm thinking 3-5 in each price catagory from major brands. Like say 3-5 for $30-40, 3-5 for $50-70, and 3-5 for $80-100.

>$30-40
Shimano sienna ($30), abu cardinal SX ($40)

$50-70
Shimano Sedona ($70), abu Orra ($70), Lew HS speed spin ($60), pfluger president ($50)

>$80-100
??

I think I'll add some of the store brand ones too, or at least mention they're a good alternative.

If anyone has a reel they think should be on the list just let me know. I'm trying to be some what objective, so I don't really just want to look at the reels online and put them on the list just because they're in the right price range.
>>
>>743804
im getting a diawa legalis and will post a review
>>
I think the list i'll post tomorrow is really shaping up, got more specifics and info down that'll help out all around: sizes, colours, alternatives ect.
>>
Also pepsi's post in the other thread with the pictures and descriptions of how each hardbait works is super helpful to beginners >>742960
unfortunately I don't know how to properly format both into a nice layed out picture
>>
File: 1455578117109.jpg (51 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1455578117109.jpg
51 KB, 320x240
>>743759
Oh look, he posted the same image for the 20th time along with a boring blogpost.
>>
>>743633
Fuck, that pic.
Is that the sesh too? Im afraid to put it in water lol. Just cos i cant afford to replace it.

Im getting my chest mount this week so ill experiment a bit. If i hook any there might even be a video as early as next week.

>>743545
Bruh you already dropped like 70 this month right?
Ive found i have to contain myself. One hard lure per month max.
Maybe a few odd softies....hooks.... Few leads cant hurt... Swivels... Im sure i need that roll of fluoro for leaders.......
>I have a problem

Speaking of fluoro, anyone use it for leaders? Seems impractical as i need very high diameters to reach a good test weight...
>>
>>743920
Fluoro leaders are very popular, even in higher test.
>>
>>743957
Doesnt it kinda kill the point if i have to have a leader thicker than my main line?
Does it hurt the alleged "low vis" gain?

Just feels like 0.50mm fluoro leader is kinda pointless compared to 0.28 or 0.30 mono.
If it is worth it i will be inclined to try it. Bass are finnicky when it comes to line allegedly... Ive caught em with 0.40mm main straight to swivel clip and lure tho...
>>
>>743970
I feel the same way sometimes when I'm running 20lb moss green braid (which is pretty damn thin) and have a 20lb flouro leader on there. But I think the low visibility actually comes from how the flouro refracts the light or whatever. So thicker flouro isn't so much more visible compared to thin flouro.
>>
>>743970
>>743995
So I guess it's kinda like saying "What is more visible: a 2" thick piece of role or a 12" thick piece of glass".
>>
>>743970
Abrasion resistance is a big deal, especially fishing around heavy cover like pilings and/or mangroves.

Alot of the deep wreck fisherman use heavy leaders because the fish will drag the line through rocks also.
>>
>>744008
That's one thing about flouro that doesn't get mentioned much. It is supposed to be good for fishing around sharp rocks or saltwater where the shells can cut the line. Flouro is a bit harder than mono.
>>
File: pDSP1-20637176v750.jpg (114 KB, 750x750) Image search: [Google]
pDSP1-20637176v750.jpg
114 KB, 750x750
anyone with experience with the Okuma Stratus V reel (baitcast one) available at Dicks

I got one and it feels pretty smooth. Though my only experience with a baitcast reel was a basspro one I got on clearance and a abu black max that a relative has that I used a bit

I coupled it with a shimano sellus MH rod and looks like it was almost made for it.
>>
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
I wonder what it would cost to get a new spool for pic related. It's gotta be the same as a regular Orra spool, right? Maybe I could order one for $10 and pop it on this Orra SX (clam).

>>744077
The spinning reels are great for the money. I've heard the casters aren't bad at all either.
>>
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>743920
>tfw the Jew's Dick and its sale prices got me
2 for $10 Scatter Raps
4 for $10 Rooster Tails
Clearance spinners buy 2 get 1 so 3 for $10
Zoom was regular price but $3.49 anyway.

I would grab 2 more Scatter Raps if I haf room in my crank box
>>
File: 20160419_132157.jpg (739 KB, 2048x1350) Image search: [Google]
20160419_132157.jpg
739 KB, 2048x1350
Went out yesterday. Got some small bass and a Sun burn. Again.
Small dump incoming.
>>
File: 20160419_151537.jpg (1 MB, 2048x1350) Image search: [Google]
20160419_151537.jpg
1 MB, 2048x1350
>>744116
>>
File: 20160419_152713.jpg (742 KB, 2048x1350) Image search: [Google]
20160419_152713.jpg
742 KB, 2048x1350
>>744118
>>
>>744116
>>744118
>>744121
Noice. You use that W&M at all?
>>
File: 20160419_150400.jpg (816 KB, 2048x1350) Image search: [Google]
20160419_150400.jpg
816 KB, 2048x1350
>>744121
>>
>>744123
A little but didn't catch anything on it yet. I was running an ultralight that day.
I'm thinking of taking it down to breakneck creek and trying for some pike.
>>
File: 20160419_150707.jpg (883 KB, 2048x1350) Image search: [Google]
20160419_150707.jpg
883 KB, 2048x1350
>>744124
>>
File: 20160419_100714.jpg (675 KB, 2048x1350) Image search: [Google]
20160419_100714.jpg
675 KB, 2048x1350
>>744121
>>
>>744090
What a worthless post.. Are you shilling these products or something?
>>
>>744138
Are you saying you wouldn't want to buy Strike King™ Tour Grade™ Spinnerbaits at $3 each?
>>
>>744138
It really is beginning to seem that way, isn't it?
>>
>>744126
What colours and lures are good for murky water? I mean like at most 3 foot visibility
>>
>>744156
Well the first thought would be something like firetiger, or hot pink, hot tiger, etc. The ones that stand out from the color of the water.

Others say pitch black lures.

Try both.

Personally, we caught the most fish in murky water, regardless of color, because its easier for the fish to NOT see that its a lure with a line tied to it.. Rainbow Trout from old rapalas was an absolute charm.
>>
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>744156
I would rather fish murky water than clean water. I think it is more important to use something noisy or vibrating first. If that draws them in, they will still hit a natural colored lure.

But I guess firetiger, chartruese, and black. I have this white Rooster Tail with a hot pink blade that does work.
>>
File: IMG_0772.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0772.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>744185
>clean water
seriously like 25+ feet visibility here, crystal clear water which is why my vibrant colors probably never work and led me to get (pic related) yesterday
>>
File: IMG_0773.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0773.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>744215
and these Joe's. Never seen them before and they look sexy as all hell
>>
is the anon who anted the st croix mojo rod here?
>>
>>744215
The gold with the brown skirt, that is one of my favorites. In real clear water, I have luck with those Storm lures or realistic looking crankbaits.

>>744216
Those look gud
>>
>>744216
ive used one of those, i tell you wat the trailing trebble hooks are killer, and quite hard to gey out of your arm when someone snags you with them , so i immagine they'd e pretty great on fish
>>
>>744220
I wanted the Mojo but save $100 by picking up the Berkly shock for 19 at Wally World last night
>>
>>744223
i just found it on sale for $65
>>
>>744224
Where?

Dick's had Triumphs for $79 but the Mojos look way nicer for only a bit more.
>>
>>744233
caellas, i would get one myself but im pretty set on an ultralight, since i already have 2 7 ft medium action bass rods, one st croix one ugly stick, theyre aso doing free shitting on any order over 99 dollaroos so
>>
>>744234
Enticing but I don't really want to order one online. Plus I'm still not sure if I want a light or medium setup next. I will probably get a reel first.
>>
>>744185
Yes, vibration and noise.
Rattlers are mad good at night and in murky conditions.
Even moreso if the sea is rough. You gotta give em something to hone in to, and sound travels a long way in the water.
>>
>>743629
They look like trout fry. Probably rainbow, maybe Brown, possibly brook
>>
>>744250
dont really resemble trout fry to me, i mean i only have experience with hem when they get over 2 inches ut the coloration doesnt resemble anything like we had at the hatchery
>>
>>743629
>>744250
definatley not trout, my best bet would be banded/ striped killfish
>>
File: Trout-Fry-2.jpg (26 KB, 501x258) Image search: [Google]
Trout-Fry-2.jpg
26 KB, 501x258
>>744256
You're probably right but they could still be trout
>>
>>744224
damn, thx for remembering me. I might break down and do that as well. Christmas in April or something like that. My GitUp Git2 just arrived as well.
>>
>>744263
look at the shape of the tail fin, mos t trout have a v and in bubs pic its completely convex
>>
>>744247
All about getting their attention via the lateral line. That's why this night timr spinner has Colorado blades. They cause more vibration than willow blades.

For that same reason, if you are fishing in murky or dark water with an inline spinner, you are better off using something like a Mepps Agila ot Blue Fox Vibrax instead of a Rooster Tail with willow blades.

Might also be worth researching the fish species you are targeting too. I know snakeheads and catfish seem to rely on vibrations and smell much more than bass.
>>
>>743629
Was that freshwater?

I guess that doesn't matter because I'm sure if it's a river, there are a bunch of random saltwater fish that spawn there. It never ceases to amaze me what fish pop up in freshwater rivers that are miles and miles from the ocean.
>>
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
Who else here fishes really clear water for bass? I'm talking like close to bathtub clear.

I know anon posted the Mepps #0 spinners earlier and was asking about clear water but I'm assuming he is going for trout judging by the lures.

I'm thinking this natural bluegill and gold may be goof for clear water.
>>
>>744319
Soft plastics have always been my super clear water go-to, and I'm from near where you tend to fish alot. Senko worms, watermelon or pumpkin seed, zoom super flukes, texas rigged stuff.
>>
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>744325
I've had good luck on those Tsunami and Storm swimbaits in clear water. I get the really realistic looking ones with the red gills and all. Plus the paddle tail puts out just enough vibration to get their attention.

I have some natural colored worms and lizards, definitely need to give those a try when the water is real clear and nothing is biting. Haven't used these "Blugill Flash" flukes yet but I think those may be a good one too.
>>
File: muhlake.jpg (62 KB, 1136x638) Image search: [Google]
muhlake.jpg
62 KB, 1136x638
Just though I'd pop in to say my lake is superior to yours.

Nova Scotianon here what's biting fellas?
>>
>>744331
Hey I may (or may not ) be headed up to Nova Scotia this summer to help someone build a house,
Where you located at
>>
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>744331
You were the dude in Alberta for a minute, right? You get anything good since you have been home?

I'm thinkin I might go snag a lure or two at a local lake. These "Sexy Shad" spinners with that extra long skirt and trailer hooks are lookin so good. I like how the one has a lil bit of chartruese in it.
>>
okay so I think in about an hour I'll be heading out to Bass pro, I've made a list and will be posting the 'basic gear guide' below. Incoming wall
>>
>>744319
>going for trout
yeah I am, still bassless in life but that's going to change this spring.
>>
>>744343
Fishing gear: Basics
a simple jig w/ twister(tailed grub)
+(can’t go wrong with night crawlers) the original still works for good reason!
The colors suggested are the ones that usually work best but rule of thumb: dark on dark, light on light

senkos worms (4”-5”)- watermelon(red/black flake) and greenpumpkin (watermelon flaked or not) -
Strike king Finnesse worms and Zoom trick worms
Zoom lizards (chartreuse)
hula popper
weedless frog (bullfrog color)
mepp spinners (black fury or Agila with a gold blade and brown skirt)
spinner bait- (chartreuse and white w/ gold blade)
brush hog- (green pumpkin)
speed craw (blue or green pumpkin)
Zoom SuperFluke Jr's (shad)
booyah boo jig-3/8oz (black and blue)
Dardevle: (red spoon w/ white stripe or yellow spoon w/ diamond dot)
heddon superspook/zara spook
Crankbait: Rapalla’s original+ xrap+husky jerk supsended (gold, silver, shad, sexyshad or firetiger)
Z-man Chatterbait w/tail (chartreuse+white or black+blue)
Lipless clackin rap (it sinks and rattles)- (firetiger, silver/chrome w/ blue, yellow perch)

Misc- 4/0 Gamakatsu worm hook(offset), BPS dragon head Jig - 1/8oz, 4/0+3/0 J/Octopus hooks
1/4oz bullet weights, 1/8oz splitshot
15lb powerpro braided 150 yds

Knots to know: clinch, pallomar and snell
Rigs to know: wacky, texas and shaky

Now if you can’t get the ‘name brands’ go with the alternatives (cheaper doesn’t mean bad):
rooster tails-pretty much repps
football jigs-booyah jig
Bass pro brand instead of Rappalas
Yums and Zooms instead of Yamamato’s Senkos’

For hard baits typically 3- 4” long
The spinner size is typically a 3
For bait: Usually 4" and under use a 3/0 hook and for something 5-8" use a 4/0 hook

pt 2 coming.
>>
>>744335

I'm in Halifax and drive out to Pictou County most nice weekends for /out/ stuff. HMU anytime senpai.

>>744337

Caught two lovely brookies which I released last weekend, but the quick thaw caused some rough waters so fishing was poor for the most part.

I did however buy a Livetarget lure last night...
>>
>>744347
pt2.

Rods and reels:
Shimano Sienna on a Shakespeare Ugly Stik (elite or gx2) solid combo
Alternatively- Basspro power series/plus rods for 20$ coupled with the Shimano Sienna
OR Bass pro brands RnR combo- Quantum Bill Dance special Edition rod+reel spinning combo ect.

For storing gear:
plano weekender(or Bass Pro) tackle bag OR old man classic toolbox OR those nifty gearbackpacks
>>
>>744337
I'm giving myself a 15 dollar budget for fishing shit at Wal-Mart
What should I get?
If they have flies I'm getting some of those shitty panfish popper things
But aside from that which they May not have any what should get
>>
>>744343
Ahh, I'm exited. You narrow it down as far as rods and reels or you gonna check them out in person first?

You gonna end up getting another medium with 8lb-10lb line or get med-light and run ~6lb? I say go with a meium and 8lb mono or 15lb braid if you think this will completely replace your old setup otherwise get a med-light with 6lb mono or 10lb braid if you are going to switch between the rods.

>>744347
Does anybody here actually use those "Chatter Baits"? Genuinely curious.
>>
>>744358
plan on going for the medium set up with 15lb braid to replace the old.
As for rods and reels, checking them out there, comes down to a seinna combo vs a premade basspro combo. We'll see.

as for the chatter baits idk- I was just naming basic gear I looked up. I don't plan on getting all of it but was wondering how it looked and for a critique of it.
>>
>>744358
I'll throw a chatter bait on occasionally. I've gotten a few off them, but I prefer poppers for top water.
>>
>>744350
Idk, whatever looks good and is on sale

>>744348
Which LiveTarget? I have one of their frogs and a couple of the gold/bronze lipless shad rattlers. Only grabbed them because 2 for $10 but I still kinda want to try out the "Baitballs".

>>744349
Damn, you got this down pretty well. I'm glad you remembered the thing about the cheaper brands. You will be able to fill out your tackle box a little better that way. If you try to grab everything on your list but end up buying all Rapalas and Yamamotos, you will blow your budget really fast.
>>
>>744364
Kek I didn't even know they were topwater baits. I thought you would run it like a swim jig.

I never even knew they existed until I was walking down the spinner aisle of Bass Pro a while back and they have a pretty sizeable selection.
>>
>>744366
yup! I plan on making note of the cost of everything and plan on keeping it to 150$
the rod/reel bp is going to be ~50$ of the 100, so I have a little bit of leeway. I hope it all turns out and the Basspro brand works and this sale works its magic
>>
>>744370
Bass Pro's soft plastics aren't bad at all either, but you don't save as much money with them compared to the cranks and spinners. Zoom baits are plenty good and normally only $3-$4 per bag so Bass Pro soft baits will probably be almost the same price.
>>
>>744369
Yeah throw a trailer on there and buzz it on top along the edges of grass beds and stuff. It makes a loud bubbling noise that pissed the bass off.
>>
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Ayy! First fish caught on an artificial worm! And Monday was the first on a lizard! Turns out you guys weren't lying to me. Zoom Watermelon btw.

>>744384
For sure.

Maybe you can answer the buzzbait question I asked the other day- do you do a steady retrieve? Or run it like a spinner where you buzz it, let it drop for a second, buzz, repeat?
>>
>>744348
Trying to remember the name of where I may be building
South river something
Bourgeois maybe
>>
File: image.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
>>744394

I'm also throwing a spinner out there too but haven't gotten a single bite. The bass here are lovin these worms.
>>
>>744407
nice work. Worms is always a good choice with bass, can't go wrong. What size hook/bait are you using?
>>
>>744394
Don't stop reeling. You want it to stay above water making noise.
>>
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>tfw #3 held just the worm for half a retrieve
Number 3.5

>>744408
I believe it is a 6" worm. Not the giant ones. And the hook isn't that big either but I don't know hook sizes for shit. Maybe 2 sizes smaller than a #4?
>>
guys. I'm having serious withdrawals. I sat and threw shad darts knowing nothing would hit for almost 4 hours today.

I'm going mad, I need shad or I'm going to die.
>>
spending some rax refund money at cabellas, cis there anything else i should buy? while im at it?
>>
>>744256
they are killifish, if they were fry they would have an adipose; which they do not.
>>
>>744447
and the tails are totally different, imean last spring i only handled a few hundred thousand fry
>>
sayonarra lads, off to Bass Pro!
>>
File: 25762745674.png (2 MB, 745x743) Image search: [Google]
25762745674.png
2 MB, 745x743
>>744216
these are BRUTAL. I keep a few in my fly pack, they can be cast with a 6 weight and have excellent action when jigging them in current, or eddies.

They work well for bass too.
>pic related was taken on Joe's Flies, specifically the 166 size 8.
>>
>>744445
Everything...

But seriously, have you tried the Rapala X-Raps yet? Or the Skitter Pops.

>>744442
How big do those shad even get? I always thought of them as baitfish that get maybe 6" at most.
>>
File: image.jpg (97 KB, 600x899) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
97 KB, 600x899
>>744454
Good luck mang

>>744456
>>
>>744459
i have various rapalas and tend to not use them too much , becaue most ponds i fish are weedy as fuck im not sure exactly what ones i have ut i have a small box full that i posted somewhere
>>
>>744456
Sebastian Vettel
>>
>>744468
Wut about poppers? That brown frog Skitter apop is great.

You fux wit any of those Storm flukes?

You should buy a Plano worm binder and tell me if they are worth getting.
>>
>>744475
i ave a few small bass pro poppers, as well as a few other misc ones and yes dont use the storm flukes ut i use zoom flukes ,
>>
File: image.jpg (599 KB, 2060x1236) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
599 KB, 2060x1236
>>744470
Still closer to Kevin Porter. Vettel's hair is much lighter, and without the stubble it isn't that close at all.

All white people look the same anyway.
>>
File: shad2.png (712 KB, 602x586) Image search: [Google]
shad2.png
712 KB, 602x586
>>744459
>6"
I've seen ones get 20"+
They fight like they are 40" and in the strong river current it's exciting, especially when you hook one every goddamn cast.
>>744462
>>744470
just call me "chad"
>>
File: shad1.png (500 KB, 741x422) Image search: [Google]
shad1.png
500 KB, 741x422
>>744479
wait until i capture footage of these fuckers. it's unreal how good the fishing is when they are around.
>>
File: image.jpg (121 KB, 600x401) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
121 KB, 600x401
>>744476
The Storm ones are all pre-rigged and have the weights and this cool reflective foil inside. Plus the shad ones have the gills painted on and they have eyes. Like I said, one of my favorites for clear water. Mainebub was using them too in that first video he made with the pickerel.

A 3 pack is only like $4, you should try em out. And even though they aren't weedless, they run through the weeds pretty well since they just have the one hook on the top. They are also heavy for their size so you can cast them really far.
>>
>Trolling around lake for a good 45 minutes with "no bites"
>Take boat to shore and begin reeling in lines
>One line feels slightly heavier than the others
>There's a baby bass at the end of the line, not struggling, completely accepting of his fate
Recent thoughts:
"I want to get off of anon's wild ride.
I want to get off of anon's wild ride.
I want to get off of anon's wild ride."
>>
File: image.jpg (96 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
96 KB, 800x533
>>744479
>>744480
Wow, I never realized how big they got. You fly fish for them? And they are 100% freshwater, right?

>Chad
Nah man, Kevin
>>
>>743531
Do the people leading the charge on making some /ftt/ general content (like that spreadsheet) need any help?

I am a scrub when it comes to fishing, but I do have video, and technical knowledge if it is needed.
>>
File: roughedupdarts.png (289 KB, 381x473) Image search: [Google]
roughedupdarts.png
289 KB, 381x473
>>744485
they live in the ocean primarily, rushing up the brackish rivers to spawn. I mostly use light tackle spinning gear, but have caught a bunch of the fly rod.
successfully fishing for them is a religious experience
>>
I have never fished in my entire life, but i wish to bring a cuban/hand reel with me when I'm going hiking and hopefully catch some fish in lakes or creeks, but what else do you need other than a line and a hook? i see you can buy some lead weight to attach, but doesn't it just sink to the bottom then? or is that the point and you just reel it in when it hits the bottom?
>>
File: IMG_3118.jpg (3 MB, 2448x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3118.jpg
3 MB, 2448x2448
First video up, hopefully I'll have another one that isn't microfishing. Might go for a bat ray/leopard shark again this weekend, that would make for a good video.

https://youtu.be/PrNwF3-u6oI
>>
>>744480
When they gonna be there and for about how long? Could be worth a roadtrip
>>
File: image.jpg (416 KB, 1214x1628) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
416 KB, 1214x1628
>>744488
I coulda used your help the other day when I was trying to make pic related.

Texas bro is doing the rod and reel one I think. Not sure if he has made any progress. I would do it but I'm lazy and can't into computers.

Idk what his capacities are, but I think it will take a couple posts and reviews to get all the info organized and make sure we don't forget anything but maybe you could help make it look real nice after we get all the info set in stone.
>>
>>744490
Post pics of the hand reel, not sure what you are talking about.

And if you are doing live bait like nightcrawlers, you can either use a bobber so the worm is suspended a couple feet deep, or just let it sit on the bottom. Catfish will pick it up from the bottom and bass n panfish will sometimes too.
>>
>>744490
Most fish are more likely to take bait on or near the bottom.
>>
>>744493
they should be here any day now. they usually stay until the first week of august. Sometimes longer, but it's rare.

>>744491
excited to check this out, fishing for those seems pretty fun.
>>
>>744491
what kind of rod is that? what are the name of those floats, and what size hook again? I really like this method and want to do something similar for brook trout.

My favorite part so far is when you release the first fish you kind of nudge him with your thumb. I'm also very surprised how fat those little fuckers get, the underwater video did a good job of showing their actual size while submerged.

well done, just talk up a bit next time so we can hear you better. I had to crank my volume.
>>
>>744394
>that superfat hand
>>
>>744491
underwater strikes are awesome! It's just like brookie fishing, except that rod seems much smarter than lugging an ice fishing rod, or a 5' spinning rod into a mountain.

did you hand craft that?
>>
>>744506
>Floats
I carved them from a block of styrofoam using an extremely sharp knife (shaving sharp at least). It's really easy and now I have way more than I need.
>Hooks
the hook is a "half moon" type micro hook. They are hard to find in the U.S., but they are equivalent to a size 26 or 30 i think.
>Rod
It's a solid strip of bamboo that has been steamed, stretched, and blowtorch-treated so that it stiffens in an (almost) perfectly straight shape. I posted about it in another fishing general and some anon said that bamboo that thick would be hard to find, but it's probably equivalent to a 2 or 3wt fly rod without line guides. Thanks for giving me some feedback, bro.
>>
>>744514
Send me some tiny hooks please
>>
>>744489
Speaking of flies...
>>
File: image.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
>>744508
Yup, I'm 400lbs but don't tell anybody. That angle is really slimming too, makes it look like I might only be 350lbs.
>>
>>744514
ah man, jealous of that setup. You're basically fishing tenkara, Going to be on the lookout for some bamboo now. Someone must have a guide about it. I vaguely remember that thread now that you mention it.
>>
>>744517
I'll see what I can put together tonight. I have tomorrow off so I was planning on tying a bunch for my trip and a few for you. gotta tie stones for taylor river
>>
>>744523
Sounds good

Also I got myself a gulp maggots thing, a 1" rapala, a tiny little lipless crank, some bullet weights, some more flukes (6" I think) and some 4 inch storm paddle tails- shad and firetiger
>>
File: 20160420_195610.jpg (817 KB, 2048x1350) Image search: [Google]
20160420_195610.jpg
817 KB, 2048x1350
>>744533
Forgot pic
>>
>>744533
Why all the tiny stuff?
>>
>>744535
How much was that bullet weight kit?
>>
File: 256.png (23 KB, 489x423) Image search: [Google]
256.png
23 KB, 489x423
>tfw you thought that was actually a pic of peps for a sec but it was just deceit
>>
>>744536
>>744533
Oh and a black/yellow spinner bait and a white buzz bait

Well my 1 inch minnow kills crappie and bluegill and the tiny lipless crank might be nice if they're hanging out deeper or are looking for a reaction bite
The maggots are to cut into little pieces and put on a size 20 hook to micro fish or to just piss about with small sunfish
>>
>>744533
you cool with a mix of gold hooks and regular hooks? also ill do some weighted and some unweighted

I need to figure out a way to stream some tying
>>
>>744540
>peps
>saltwater
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 2448x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 2448x2448
The inspector gadget lure is NOT a meme, I repeat its NOT a meme. This bass was dancing its head off with out any line tension and it couldn't throw it.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2448x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2448x2448
Got another one
>>
>>744543
I'm good with a hook mix but I think I want only beadhead. Though I did have an idea
Tie the marabou on the hook so it's over the eye, then put on the bead, and then pull the marabou back over the bead so It covers it up
I need to get myself some shit and a vice to fuck around with
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2448x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2448x2448
3 in 10 minutes, not bad. Dark colors like root beer work great at this time.
>>
File: IMG_20160420_202201619.jpg (1 MB, 4160x2340) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160420_202201619.jpg
1 MB, 4160x2340
>>744556
Did this for fun to finish a bag of healing off. I don't have eyes, but I do have beads and I can do the method you asked.

I haven't tied in a while so my first few will be sloppy.

You want bodies? Or just maribou on a hook with beads? I can tie you a variety of different patterns if you want.
>>
>>744558
You don't have to do it that way, I'm more just thinking with my keyboard
And I'm not worried about slop- how much can a bead, some marabou, And a little thread mess up?
Its literally just the fly equivalent of pic related
>>
>>744558
Or actually If you do four of each- two black two black with dubbing on the body, then two white and two white with dubbing body that would be sick
>>
>>744568
say no more, ill do a bunch of simple ones, and throw a few different ones in too.

if you're targeting panfish with them ill do like sz 16
>>
File: 20160420_205112.jpg (734 KB, 2048x1350) Image search: [Google]
20160420_205112.jpg
734 KB, 2048x1350
>>744571
A little bigger than this maybe 1/8-1/4 inch longer. I'm just going to let you play it by ear for the first one, take a pic, and well see how it compares to what is in my mind
>>
>>744497
thank you, so that means i should use one of those small weights and tie to the hook?
>>
>>744584
>tie it to the hook

Nah. Get split shots. The pac man looking deals. Clamp them on the line about a foot above the hook.
>>
File: IMG_20160420_211204670.jpg (2 MB, 2340x4160) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160420_211204670.jpg
2 MB, 2340x4160
>>744579
Bigger, just using trash mats until we get what your looking for. Going to use pink instead of green and a variety of flashing to cover thread
>>
>>744595
Just makes me to want to start tying flies for fun before my eyesight gets too shitty
>>
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>When Peps says he likes fishing murky water
It needs to stop raining.

>>744515
Fly hooks mang. They're tiny.

>>744553
>>744550
>>744557
Those are pretty nice fishes.
>>
>>744595
That's about right but I was picturing a bit bigger hook and bead. Particularly a long shank, unsure panfish like to just nip the tail for a taste and if they're still not sure they shy away
>>
>>744600
got it, i have the same size hooks just a bit longer I'll use those.
>>
>>744599
I would be running the brightest and loudest inline I can find.

>>744606
>Hand-Tied Boutique Flies by MaineBub™
>>
>>744515
Tenkarabum.com is a good source for this type of gear, shipping rate is good and you can buy like 20 of those hooks for $4.50. They also have other gear but the hooks are the only thing you really need to go after micros, you can probably get 1 and 2lb line at a fly shop here.
>>
>>744614
but where can i get that dank ass rod
>>
File: IMG_20160420_212647.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160420_212647.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
alright lads I'm back- her'es the list:
quantum spinning 6’ rod and reel
yum craw papi 2.75” green pumpkin
Yum 4” dinger green pumpkin and (1) watermelon red flake
gamakatsu octupus hooks 2/0+offset 3/0
power pro braided, green 15lb 150yds
rooster tail -salmon fly 1/6oz
3/16 oz bullet weights
round jig heads 1/4 oz
3/8oz weedless blueblack football jig
firetiger liplless crankbait
yellow top, blue side, silver bottom popper
rocking sinking shad - blue silver
xts gold floating crankbait

total w/tax 140$
>>
File: IMG_20160420_213740523.jpg (1 MB, 4160x2340) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160420_213740523.jpg
1 MB, 4160x2340
>>744609
Nah I'd never sell them. I suck at tying and I know people who do it for a living, I don't think I could do it.

Skid, you want a few of these too? I have good luck with them on my area for perch.
>>
>>744616
How come 15lbs?
>>
>>744617
If you don't mind tying a few
I don't fish perch much but I bet crappie might inhale them
>>
>>744619
a step up from my usual 10 mono, didn't feel the need to go for 20
>>
File: STOP.jpg (58 KB, 234x233) Image search: [Google]
STOP.jpg
58 KB, 234x233
>>744616
>quantum

I hope you still have the receipt. Even shitty walmart combos last longer.
>>
I went fishing for largemouths today and didn't get shit can someone tell me why? We just got 2 inches of rain on Monday and Tuesday. Today was sunny and around 65 degrees F and I fished from 6:00pm-8:35pm (sunset at 8:25) I used everything from plastics to inline spinners to top water cranks
>>
>>744616
everythings good except the quantum reel

the rod should be fine
>>
>>744617
I'm almost tempted to see if you'll tie me a stupid big streamer to throw at bass and smaller pike but I'm starting to feel like I'm imposing

Actually I felt that way the second you didn't want payment but whatever
>>
>>744626
>>744624
fuck me guys really?
>>
>>744628
never tied big streamers, ill try a few for fun. I have a bunch of chicken feathers i need to get rid of to make space.
>>
>>744625
Obviously you're a terrible fisherman and should quit
But in seriousness I've got no idea. Maybe the rain and sun scared them deep and they didn't want to move unless a bait was dropped on their nose
>>
Stupidest question ever....
If I'm backing braid with mono how do I know when I'm up to 90ish yds of mono? I'm guessing I just eyeball to about 50% of the spool.

Other thought is do the math and figure out how many cranks.
>>
>>744629
It's not uncommon for a quantum reel to not make it even one season. I'd return it and get a low end okuma, penn, shimano or abu garcia.
>>
>>744629
How much did you pay for that?
>>
>>744631
Sounds almost mutually beneficial
You clear out your feathers and I get a streamer
You really dot have to but if you want to
>>
>>744617
bub would you e able to tie me a variety of streamers etc i can use with a spinning outfit? streamers etc i can fish with a splitshot a foot or so up the line etc would e willing to throw a few dollars your way maye that would even get me into fly fishing
>>
>>744635
Yeah dude return it before it's too late. Even a bass pro brand would last you longer.
>>
>>744625
Did you try Zoom™ Chartreuse w/pepper lizards? But it's probably the rain fucking with their feeding schedule. Aslo, if the lake you're fishing is like mine it's basically mud right now, so if they aren't used to it that could mess with them too.
>>
>>744637
50$- I was going to get a sienna reel and ugly stick rod but that would've run me 130$- the ugltik basic rods were 69$
>>744635
damnit
>>744635
>>
>>744616
Looks gud mang. You def got a lot for the $140. I'm stoked you got PowerPro.

>>744624
>>744626
Those combos actually have pretty good reviews. I think anon did his research too. There are one or two mid-range Quantum reels that have issues (and you can tell which ones the second you look at ratings and reviews) but aside from those couple, they are solid reels. I have a cheaper light Quantum reel that I have had for over 10 years and it was my main reel for some time. Never an issue with it, still kickin'.
>>
>>744635
>>744629
Take it back; get a shakespeare excursion with two spools
6-8 pound mono on one spool 20 pound braid on the other
That will last years and catch anything from itty bitty bluegill to good sized catfish pike and even some saltwater stuff
>>
>>744631
I've tied 1 fly in my life, over 40 years ago and I can still see it in my head.
Worst shit ever. Lived near rubber factories. hunk of rubber on a hook covered with thread and some feather and hair. I wish I still had that fucker it was soooooo bad.

>>744597
I think most people that tie have trash eyesight because, well, old as shit. Haven't you seen those giant magnifying glass set ups?
>>
>>744633
>90yds of mono
Fuck that. I probably put 15yds or 20yds when I do a mono backing. Just enough to wrap around the knot on the spool a few times.

>>744644
>>744629
Look at the reviews online and see if people had issues. Like I said, there's one or two Quantums that legitimately have issues where something breaks. Aside from those couple models, they seem to be decent.

I would buy a Quantum Smoke any day of the week.
>>
>>744645
yea i made sure I got the 6' and checked the reviews seemed good enough.
>>744646
I'll think on it.
>>744650
only reviews were from basspro and they were all positive.
>>
>>744650
>15yds or 20yds
That will leave me way short on the spool.
8# braid is the thickness of 2# mono so I need to fill half the reel so the 150yds of braid I have will fill the rest.
>>
File: image.jpg (86 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
86 KB, 640x1136
>>744651
Idk why Skid sells that Excursion so much, but if you are going to return it for some reason and buy a rod and reel seperate, get the Shimano. But you always get more for your money with a combo.

Look at the Quantum Accurist spinning reel. That is the one Quantum reel that legit has issues and you can tell as soon as you start reading reviews. That combo you got has great reviews, anything 4.5+ is excellent. Like I said, I have a couple cheaper Quantum combos and they are going strong after 10+ years. Quantum's more expensive reels are really funky and I think maybe the crazy design is what inherently leads to issues in one or two of the models. But a basic reel like that, you should be good.

If anything, fill out all your product registration and warranty shit through Quantum and hang on to the reciept. I doubt you will have any issues, but if something does break or wear out in an unreasonable amount of time, just go exchange it for something else.

And I'm not a Quantum shill either, I'm all about Abu Garcia. But they are kinda complaining out their asses. If somebody comes around saying "I have owned 3 of those Bill Dance combos and this or that wore out on every one" then I would worry. But if something like that were the case, it would have a bunch of 1-star reviews as well.
>>
>>744652
Also remember that those line ratings on the reels are bullshit. I probably get about 75% of the rated length of line onto the spool of any given reel. If it says you can get 160yds, you will probably get closer to 125yds on there before it starts overflowing.
>>
>>744659
I was going to go for the shimano sienna and stik but like I said earlier that would've wrecked me $ wise. I'll keep it in mind if I get more serious.
I didnt bother insuring it - they wanted 10$ and I didn't worry about it. I read the reviews and like you said should be fine. I'm hoping for the best.
>>
>>744662
It probably still has a 1-year manufacturer's warranty or something. And even without that Bass Pro warranty for $10, if something shits out abnormally fast you can always go in there and say something like "I finally got this rod and reel out on the boat for the first time since I bought it, and I realized it's junk! Can I spend $30 more on this Ugly Stik and Shimano?"

I honestly think that combo will be fine though. Just make sure you spool it up properly since you are using braid.
>>
>>744659
Because I've got three and have used them to haul in 3 foot rays
Tie a 2) pound weight to a 3×3 hunk of plywood then try to reel that shit in
Now try and reel it in while it tries to swim away
Rays are hard on gear and when a sub-30 dollar reel that only holds 150 yards of 20 pound braid handles one just fine I'm impressed
>>
>>744667
>I honestly think that combo will be fine though. Just make sure you spool it up properly since you are using braid.
Thanks, I plan on it.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 2448x3264
>>744669
I actually owned one, they are suprisingly good for the money. An ultralight one that I gave to my bro (he has it in this pic). But the Sienna for $10 more makes you feel like you are running a good mid-range reel somehow. Idk how to explain it. It just feels solid.
>>
>>744672
I was lookin at that pic some more, and you honestly did a good job grabbing a nice selection of colors and lures. Those 3 cranks and the popper, exactly the colors you should do to cover all conditions. A gold, silver, and a firetiger- can't go wrong at all. I'm genuinely suprised at how well you covered everything, especially with that budget.
>>
>>744661
Line retrieve per handle turn – Size 20 – 33.5 inches
I think if I give it about 50 cranks of mono I should be close. You're right on capacity, always less.
>>
>>744680
You can always take the braid off again and splice in a little more mono. If you have a decent amount of braid on there, you shouldn't ever hit the mono or knots anyway unless you are trolling or some 40lb behemoth takes off across a whole lake.
>>
>>744677
Thanks! the firetiger crankbait, silver popper, and storm chad, were actually in a 'bin' for discounted baits thus I didnt' break the bank with them. I got really lucky that I spotted them before leaving. The gold one is the only one that wasn't in the bin with the other cranks.
>>
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
These guys came in the mail today. I think they may be the most realistic looking soft plastic I've seen. I can't wait for the water to clear up so I can test them.
>>
hey guys, when do you use a snap swivel, or swivel in general?
>>
Best walleye lures/colors for casting from breakwalls/docks/etc
>>
File: swivel.jpg (25 KB, 587x603) Image search: [Google]
swivel.jpg
25 KB, 587x603
>>744728
>when do you use a snap swivel
If I'm switching off lures a lot and don't feel like tying then that's when I'll tie one on. Always the round type like this. You get more natural motion. I use the smallest size I can get away with, too.
>>
File: spro_IMG_0708.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
spro_IMG_0708.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>744728
>snap swivel
never...
>>
File: IMG_0751.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0751.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>744743
or...
>>
File: IMG_20160420_234925573.jpg (2 MB, 4160x2340) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160420_234925573.jpg
2 MB, 4160x2340
>>744646
I doubt you catch anything with these. I went the streamers, they look decent when swimming. The others are just random shit to get rid of materials. Tying your maribou jigs now.

I'm pretty shit at this. If you catch anything with these I'll be surprised. I mostly just tie nymphs so streamers and jigs is a bit new to me.

Thought a few smelts, egg sucking leeches and small fry resembling patterns would work. I freestyles them.
>>
>>744747
I think they look very cool. Bet they'll score.
>>
>>744747
o nce again could you tie me up some shit that may work with a spinning outfit? il throw you a few dolaroos i don t carfe how shit they are , use junky spare materials
>>
>>744760
Maybe. Just a matter of finding time. If you can wait a few weeks you got it.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 92

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.