[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/out/ Gear Thread General /k/ Edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 221
Thread images: 40
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1936
>>tfw I don't find a Gear Thread General
>>Just took a pic yesterday of updated kit
>>letsdothis

What do you guys see in my system? All comments are helpful. I've taken it /out/ a few times before but it's been in separate pieces, now that I have my new bag it can all be organized.

This is my ruck kit. I don't say it's one type of bag or another with acronyms because it makes no difference in how I would use the gear I have my talking about what's inside with a label. I did not add food to this list because in my opinion it's a temporary solution to an eternal question. The rifle and pistol are not even the main methods of food procurement here but supplement security. I live in Florida so hogs and big critters are a concern. I plan on adding bear mace in the near future for versatility. I have three knives because each plays a different role. The bk14 is my dirty job knife where I know I will damage my edge, plus it's my EDC so it lives in my pocket anyways. The bk16 is my bushcraft knife where I save that edge for woodworking. The bk15 is my game and fillet knife, money shot cuts only. The hammock sleep system is supplementary to the urban environments I may find myself in or in the forest my temporary set up till I complete a shelter.

Tldr; rate/hate, comment/ post gear
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1936
Mystery Ranch ASAP, Foliage Green/ Gray
Wool Blanket, Green
GSI Bugnet, Green
Wool Jacket, Black
Nylon Rain Jacket, Black
Felt Safari Hat, Brown/Green
Arsenal SLR 107fr, Plum 7.62x39
Canik TP9 SA, Black 9x19
3x Magpul P-Mags Steel Reinforced 30 rnd
1x Mec-Gar 18 rnd
Rope, Reflective Blue
2x Extra Fine Merino Wool Long Sleeve, Gray
2x Pair of Thieves Compression Boxers, Black
2x Smartwool Hiker Socks, Green
Welder's Gloves, Tan
Cold Weather Leather Gloves, Brown
Shemagh, Checkered Black/ White
Maxpedition Rolly Polly Extreme, Black
Bahco Laplander Folding Saw, Green
Bk15 Trailing Point Kabar, Black Scales
Bk16 Drop Point Kabar, Micarta Scales
Bk14 Eskabar, Black Scales w/ Maglite Pro Led
Maxpedition EDC Pouch, Black
-Sawyer Filter System, toothbrush/ paste, BC powder, writing pad, Spyderco fine/med grit stone, band aids, emergency whistle, Suunto A-10 compass
Ziplock Fishing Kit Bag
-4x Mechanical Fisherman, 12x Snooks
32oz Guyot Designs SS nestled into SS Stanley Cooker nestled into GSI SS Cup
38oz Guyot Designs SS Nalgene
Water Pouch with Clean Kit on top- Brillo, Sandpaper, Steelwool
10x10 Stansport Tarp, deep forest camo
Field & Stream Whisperlite 50 degree, Black
Grand Trunk Hammock Ultralite, Green w/ Eno Atlas Straps, Hi-Viz Paracord, and Stanley Headlamp
Bottom Left Corner is Miscellaneous Items in Top Zipper of ASAP Ruck-
EatNTool, Floss, Coghlans Thermo, Tinderkit made from Burts Bees Handsalve Oils with soaked Tarred Twine pullable out of hole in lid/ future char tin container, Galvanized 18 gage wire, Tarred twine for tinder/ cordage, Palo Santo Incense/ tinder, Maglite xl50 Led, Gerber Multiplier for fishing, corkscrew for drinkin, nylon sewing string, 4x minibic's, regular bic, Djeep lighter, Boker Oilpen for knives, Badger Balm for hands/nose, Smile's Prid for blisters, Burt's Bees beeswax lip balm, earbuds in zip container, 2x write in rain pads

Total weigh for ruck is 29 lbs. though with MR's Futura Yoke it feels like less.
>>
>/k/ edition
You are on the wrong board, son.
Here >>>/k/

>inb4 people posting rifles, helmets and plate carriers
>>
>>742237
Why would you want to carry two firearms? Are you planning on hunting? What do you intend to do with that much wire? Why 5 lighters?
>>
>>742247
i thought the thread might have some credibility. When I see people post gear in /k/ it's more high speed low drag, rigs and shit. I'd like to see what people leave hidden in a bush back at camp. Not "rolling gear".
I know y'all have guns on /out/ it's not sacrilegious. If it is, then in that respect anyone who posts bear mace in their kit should be directed to /k/ as well.
>>
>>742253
If it doesn't take a large caliber to kill what I need I won't, also when I'm sitting in a canoe it's faster. Which segues into my next point of the lighters. I have had friends who suck at life and when we're doing our thing they want to ask to borrow. If we find ourselves in a self defense situation I'd like to know I have someone else armed and firing.
>>
>>742253
Traps, semi permanent shelters. i don't mind buying another roll at Walmart if it means I got to have fun building something out there.
>>
>>742243
How many liters is the backpack?
>>
>>742237
>>742243
What is your main /out/ activity/area? You look like you spend a lot of time innawods? I just noticed myself going trough your gear list and realized mine would look much different, mostly because I spend most of my free time above tree line and most of your setup wouldn't work there. No offense intended, mine would likely be impractical in your neck of the woods.
Also, get a headlamp.

>and skip the /k/ shit, you got out, thats good enough
>>
>>742269
>>742269
I spend a lot of time in wetlands so a hammock is optimum. There is a Stanley headlamp in the hammock sinch sack so I'm good there brother. Thanks though, it's important. It's an 18 liter pack btw. Central Florida is mainly forested with either bits of marsh or completely buggy marshy shit that you'd rather have a canoe like I like to opt for sometimes.
>>
>>742275
Ok, that makes sense then, I'm from the Alps, and at times I don't see a tree from near for a day or so and 9 months of the year you'd freeze your ass off in a hammock anyways. I also spend at least 2-3 weeks a year in arctic Scandinavia, climate is like here, but not as much altitude do cover on a normal hike.

One thing I always wondered, a 18L pack seems to be awfully small to fit all your gear in, do you strap most of it outside? What do you do when it is raining? Don't your blankets and stuff get all wet?
I have to fit everything (safe for sleeping pad) inside my pack, slap a raincover over it and put the sensitive stuff into waterproof topfolders, otherwise it will get soaking wet after an hour or two in the rain, and having a full weekend without some rain is a little wonder.

Also, you said 30lbs, isn't that to much for the frame of that little pack? It does not make the impression of having a substantial waistbelt to transfer weight to?
>>
>>742243
>Palo Santo Incense

For what purpose?
>>
>>742360
Shamanic. I always burn it before I walk out and before I go to sleep.
>>
>>742303
The second picture shows how I strap it to my backpack. I usually try to go camping when the weather is fair but in the situation where it would start to rain my backpack can withstand a good shower, long enough for me to string up my tarp. I don't enjoy hiking in the rain.
>>inb4 where's your poncho
I can throw my wool blanket over myself if it's that bad, but honestly I'd just drop camp wherever the rain started on me. In Florida it's for all purposes a subtropical rainforest in some parts. So trees are abundant.
>>
>>742303
You'd be surprised how well MR designed the ASAP. It's a smaller ruck with a frame design for a large 60 liter backpack
>>
shameless bump
>>
>>742804
>bumping a thread merely 8 hours old
First day on /out/?
>>
>>742243
What's up with the bloodstain on your floor? That looks P. suspicious without any context.
>>
>>742820
knew someone would say that
>>
>>742825
Its not my floor its my wooden table. Its was free so meh, no complaints here.
>>
How do you go about cooking and food?
>>
>>742907
He doesn't, he doesn't actually go /out/, just takes pictures of a bunch of piled up gear, most likely to post in bugout bag threads. Case in point: no water filtration. Instead he fantasizes about bugging out because SHTF and its TEOTWAWKI so he's gonna set some traps with his 500 yards of twine and bailing wire, skin and clean his kills with one of his three knives, then cook them over the fire that he started with one of his five lighters.
>>
>>742944
What he wrote. Its a poser.
>>
>>742237
I'd steal those pair of thieves
>>
>>742256

Not really because bear mace is directly related to /out usage. But you know that already, so get back to >>>/k/
>>
>>742258
>If we find ourselves in a self defense situation I'd like to know I have someone else armed and firing.

>neverbeenout confirmed
>>
>>742258
> If we find ourselves in a self defense situation I'd like to know I have someone else armed and firing

Jesus. Are you a meme? Who are you going to fire upon, ze nazis?
>>
>>742944
Completely ignoring my sawyer mini.
>>
>>743111
Nothing to prove here. Whether you believe crazy shit happens or doesn't is up to you. I've been in the Ocala National Forest and run across some fucked up homeless people there. Also, remember guys, self defense doesn't always mean people. Boars are a big problem in Florida. I don't even mind bears so much because they usually fuck off. Boars are assholes.
Someone asked how I cook and usually it's a spit over the fire bros. I do have some SS pots to work with but usually that's just if I feel like bringing some rice for a fish dinner. 99% of my /out/ time is peaceful guys, I just enjoy having a rifle if I need it.
Btw, a bug out scenario is never going to happen to me. My best weapons are cans of beans and patience.
>>
>>743266
Is there any season for boar hunting or you can hunt them the whole year? That's something I'd really like to do sometime, altough I don't know if it's safe to eat them because of parasites (?). I've heard before that boars are the biggest assholes you can happen to come across while hiking, can you share any stories?
>>
>>743359
If it's on private property there is no hunting season or permit required. They are a pest species and destroy a lot of wildlife.
When I was younger I was training with a buddy down at the Salt Bed Flats in Sanford, this was sometime around November. We were chased by a 400lbs momma boar after we saw two little ones. That shit came crashing through the brush. The boar actually followed my friend who had to climb a tree.
>>
>>743359
This is in Florida FYI, sorry if I didn't specify. If it's public land it depends on where you are if u need a permit from what I hear
>>
>>743552
Would your cooker nestle well with your 38oz Nalgene?
>>
>>743574
I can't nestle the 38oz because the Stanley is tapered. But it works well for 32oz. I have looked at other options. One of the larger toaks with a bail nests with the 38oz but I've heard the lids suck so I stayed with my cheapo Walmart beater. I try to not put anything except water into my drinking vessels. Just a preference.
>>
>>743584
Thanks, you just saved me 20
>>
>>742944
there's a sawyer water filtration system there... but you clearly have a chip on your shoulder about /k/
>>
>>743610
Actually /k/ is my home board and I've been on /k/ long before /out/ even existed. I admit I read his list after I posted and realized I fucked up and yes I did feel like an idiot.

Most people who post pictures like OP's usually don't go innawoods at all, and if they do it's definitely not with all of that gear. Maybe OP does and I'm being too hard on him. I dunno. I go camping in national forests with rifles of mine just because I'm a huge gun nut and it's fun and comfy for me and there is a slight chance I'll actually need it to defend against an animal or person. But the primary reason is just because it's fun for me. It's extra weight and I pay for it on the ascent, but it's worth it to me.

His gear layout just looks too rough around the edges for me to believe he routinely goes backpacking. Three knives and five lighters.
>>
>>743620
So other than my lighters and knives what would you say? I keep three lighters for myself and the two floaters are for friends. So I don't even count that as anything really....
I keep my trailing point strapped to my belt and the drop point in my bag. I EDC the smaller knife (bk14) every day for work so it feels weird not having it in my back left pocket. Kinda like a safety blanket.

Still waiting on my Chicom type 56 chest rig btw
>>
>>743604
If u ever decide on getting one, just go to Walmart and you can find them usually around 14$ plus no shipping like online.
I've been looking at the Mors Konachi Bushpot lately honestly man
>>
>>743762
>Mors Konachi Bushpot
I have no clue what that is, could you send me a link?
I started hiking 2 years ago and like the idiot that am only bought shitty "surplus" shit thinking that is what I needed. Funny enough i passed over pretty much the only surplus thing that i would have been able to get my money's worth out of. Now i'm just sitting here wishing I had spent less time on /b/ and more time on /out/.
Ps. I actually spent like 6 hours yesterday looking for a 1l steel bottle and I couldn't find it anywhere (I checked about 6 places). They are all insulated.
>>
>>743760
>Chicom type 56 chest rig
Dafuc is that and why do you want it? Is it redundant considering the rest of your equipement?
>>
>>743620
Not OP. I'm here just asking a bunch of questions to him because I find this thread interesting.

Anyway, considering that our board has actually about 2+ threads about spooky stories and others spaming yt channels, I can't see how this thread is wrong. I've learned a couple things as in any other thread where some anon shares his stuff so this is ok by me.

I'm glad to see that anons like you keep this board alive, recognizing when they made a mistake even when it is debatable that they did. Unironically tips*
>>
>>743799
Just a way to carry my three mags.
>>
>>743809
>>743809
Thanks man, I've been browsing /b/ since 2006 and usually it's here where you'll see people with good information come around now and then.
The way I see 4chan is its like a good group of friends. They don't have to agree with you and that's ok. But from that comes good information.
>>
>>743781
You can google the name and I'll recommend the item you were searching for is what I have. The Guyot designs Nalgene 38oz... It pops up on Amazon a couple times a year but snag them up if u see them. If not get he 32 oz
>>
>>743834
Two questions
1. What kind of hassle is this pot going to save you, or I guess what do you personally find appealing about the pot?
2. What are you going to drop form your pack if you end up getting one?
>>
>>743826
>Just a way to carry my three mags.
Pls see sticky:
>Just a friendly reminder that threads about weapons which do not pertain to their use in outdoor activities should be posted on /k/ instead

That basically means hunting rifles and bear mace. Taking /k/ shit on a camping trip does not make it /out/ related any more than RVing in a place with a power hookup makes video games /out/ related.
>>
>>743781
Klean Kanteen makes non insulated steel bottles.
>>
>>742237
>>742243

S/k/out/ here. Your setup looks nice, that's what makes me a little bit worried. Do you actually use that stuff? I see little to no wear marks on your gear, maybe you just clean everything well after use and care for it a lot.

The list itself is fine, I don't see anything particular where I'd say no. Question is about the weight in total. That's a lot of stuff. The weight is going to bring you down way before you make use of some of the stuff. You didn't say what you want to do, so it's hard to say whether your setup needs improvement.

>>742256

People on /k/ are mostly neckbeards in basements, /out/ actually does go out and knows fairly more about innawoods than /k/ommandos.

>>742449

Okay, so we're talking leisure here. Then you're golden, you can take whatever you want.

>>742944

He has the Sawyer, plus two SS canteens, if he takes whatever foods he can cook them in there, implying he even wants to cook (leave no trace).

>>743115

Spend a day with a LEO and you'll get your answers.

tl;dr

You got shelter, water, fire, food (?), your fun and gadgets. I don't see anything in particular missing, questions is what does it weigh and do you have any specific tasks in mind besides going outside and enjoying yourself?
>>
>>743895
Well I am talking about these in a food procurement fashion so it's hunting. I've even explained the way self defense can be used towards animals.
When you use an analogy your not demeaning my statement any just because your example is flawed. I use these for hunting and just because they're on the list people think it disregards my entire thread.
>>
>>743892
For me it's all about the lid and the way I can hang it from a wire fashioned as a bail. They're also thick a fuck so they can withstand a lot of abuse.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1936
>>743948
the only things I haven't used outside yet are the wool blanket and bug net. Everything else has been used.
I recently purchased the Slr 107fr and have put around 400 rounds through it. It's my first rifle and I can't afford everything in the world so I don't plan on scrapping it up but like the patina on a knife I enjoy watching it age with use.
I mainly will use my kit to start doing solo overnights. I know my kit is pretty well rounded and I thought I might see what you guys think. People have discredited me for my SS vessels but to me they're worth they're weight.
I may drop the nylon jacket here soon and probably the cold weather gloves.
Here's my old kit that I used for day hikes and overnights with other people.
>>
>>744109

I also use SS kleen canteen and GSI cup. Fuck people with their plastic and aluminium shit. Titan meh heat conduction.

There's a very simple method to figure out what you need: Take it out. You will automatically discover what works for you and what you are missing. Take moist towelettes with you, great TP and for hygiene. Hand sanitizer. Coconut oil for hair, face, hands, skin, teeth, etc. and of course cooking. Native one cold pressed that is.

Also, get into stashing. Put foodstuffs and some gear you may not wanna carry with you outside. There are nice handbooks from SF on that, Special Forces Cashing Techniques or something. That way you can store food, water and other stuff (tools? repair things?) outside, on trails, on your bug out route etc. and don't have to carry everything.

It's a shocking realization that noone really discusses that, while everyone is so much into SHTF stuff. Suggests to me that 99% of the people are internet warriors with no practical experience lol. And even then they could know the literature. But no, that would be work, kek. Enough complaining.
>>
>>744122
I probably should add some tp for when it's raining.
>>
>>744128

I am not getting that logic. Are you referring to wet leaves or something?
>>
>>744122
Your point about caching is a good one but I try not to use the same camp spots a lot. Itd be different if it was my own land. I'm not a leave no trace freak (some people even pack out their own shit in bags) but I like to leave things in littered by trash trash.
>>
>>744131
yeah sometimes the underside of the leaf is fine but people like cat tails and moss but it does a better job smearing when it's soaked. If I brig tp it's usually for when it's raining and I need to go
>>
>>744135
>>744137

Special Forces actually take all their shit (literally) with them to leave no trace too. They have some metal canteen for that IIRC.

I used to dig a hole, shit in it, wipe my ass with decomposing moist towelettes and then close it again. Very discrete, no damage done. It was mostly off any beaten path, with mossy ground, very easy to spade a dice out and put it back in. If you want to take it a few steps further, put a log, stone, whatever on it when done, so animals don't dig it out. If you want to make SURE, this also goes for cashes, spray some mace on it.

Also, a nice way to bury cashes is pet graves. Yeah, a bit morbid, but actually a good way to alibi yourself burying shit in the woods for a rainy day and to ensure that Mr. Doggywalker will get his dog off that spot you dug.
>>
>>744109
>slr-107
>lugging around magazines of 7.62x39
Why?
>>
So now that spring and summer are upon us here in the northern hemisphere, it's time to start thinking about how to carry and protect your (hard boiled) egg offerings. You never know when you'll come across a mean or friendly animal who just wants an egg (hard boiled of course). Let's see your egg solutions!
>>
>>744299
Isn't this a derail? I've heard of these thing..
>>
>>744143
That made idea sounds legit
>>
File: 1373251093502_smile.png (39 KB, 620x613) Image search: [Google]
1373251093502_smile.png
39 KB, 620x613
>>744313
no i just wanted to post in the /gear/ general instead of make a whole new thread for a limited topic
>>
>>744258
not him but the ak pattern rifle will perform fine at low cost outdoors, and 7.62x39 is a decent midsize hunting round

there are people who lug around battle rifles and mags of 7.62x51
>>
>>744371
I'm not saying the AK pattern isn't a good one but I think that he'd be better served by something in a ligther caliber like 5.56x45 or 5.45x39. Either that or just get a fucking guide gun in .45-70 so you can reload w/ black powder, lead, and a hand die/reloading kit. Plus it's a it better for larger game and bears/moutain lions if you have to.
>>
>>744390
Op here, I wouldn't mind a 45-70 but I plan on hunting boars and it's nice to have a hi cap mag. My pennies are tight most of the year so I had to get a do all rifle
>>
>>744299
Would be nice if it were padded for raw eggs. I've never taken eggs with me camping but I would if I knew I could do so without them busting. Real scrambled eggs in the morning would be just divine.
>>
>>744446
lots of people use them for raw eggs. i suppose if the egg's loose you just put some felt in there or something. they have good reviews so apparently they work great. i imagine they work a lot better than cartons do at least.
>>
>>744455
I might order one then. Wrap it in some spare clothes or something. It'd suck if it cracked though and I got a bunch of egg whites on my shit.

How long are raw eggs good for out of refrigeration anyways? I'm sure I could get at least 24 hours.
>>
>>743895
>threads about weapons
This is a gear general though. He just happens to have guns in his loadout. If that makes you uncomfortable, feel free to go to some internet hugbox instead.
Leddit, tumblr, I don't care. Or just lurk, that works too.

>I don't like thing, so thing is bad and I must sperg about it!
>>
Raw (store bought) eggs with mineral oil coating lasts several days at moderate temps
>>
>>744460
farm fresh eggs don't need to be refrigerated, store-bought washed eggs will last a day or two and what this anon says seems to be true >>744511
>>
can /out/ recommend a canteen cup other than rothco shit to me?
>>
>>744518
>not getting a dedicated pot that you can hang over a fire
Senpai... I just...
http://www.amazon.com/Zebra-1516-grtr-Loop-Handle-Pot/dp/B003DYZ91U
>>
>>744589
pretty makes all the difference, but like I said. The mors bushpot is a step above the zebra. well worth the money. I love zebra products, I grew up in thailand eating off of their spoons. so no bias.
>>
>>744299
>>744446
>>744455
>>744460

I had something in those lines. It holded 6 eggs. Piece of shit I'll tell you.

Just get a piece of pvc and put the eggs inside with newspaper so they don't move.

>>744109
Can you explain why the fedora? Totally serious here. I wear a lightweight random OR hat because it dries fast and protects me from the sun.
>>
>>744675
but they have pretty heroic reviews friend. maybe you had a really bad one or somethin
>>
>>744676
Yeah, maybe they are car campers? That shit failed on me, the eggs broke in my backpack. I had it in a plastic bag as a redundancy and that saved muh pack and gear from getting covered in eggs. And those eggs were the highlight of a 6 day traverse eating oats with a side of oats.

Pvc tube is the way to go. And if you are lucky you can even get it 4free
>>
>>744675
I love the thing. It's a Woolrich safari hat that I found marked down to 10$ at a place called Mosquito Creek in Apopka. Felted 100% wool is the shit, keeps me dry and warm. Plus it's wide brimmed so the sun isn't in my eyes but it doesn't look so wide it's a beach hat
>>
File: Musette tta.jpg (57 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
Musette tta.jpg
57 KB, 480x480
Help me /out/.
I'm going to hike with scouts pals, but I don't have any gear, beside a decent sleeping bag (Valandré, goose feather), and some Quechua hiking pants.

We'll be hiking in french forests and mountains (in summer at least), so nothing too extreme, and we'll try to travel light, without tents.

What boots do I need, what type of vest, what kind of bag..
For the utility tools and canteen, I'll use french army stuff (I'm an army reservist, and got some to spare.)

Pic related is a french army bag, model " musette tta 2009 ", do you think it would do the trick for small hikes?
>>
File: Sac F2.jpg (233 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
Sac F2.jpg
233 KB, 600x800
>>744972
cont.

Pic related is a bigger bag, well built, with metal armature I have. Might get another one for hiking, but it's not cheap (140 Euros), and it's pretty big.

What would you recommend, /out/?
>>
>>744977
Milsurp isn't worth 140 euros. Might as well pay a bit extra for an Osprey or a Gregory bag at that point
>>
>>744967
Noice. Thanks for answering.
>>
>>744981
Trust me, it's new stuff, it's well built, and it's expensive. Maybe not 140, but I won't find it under 110.
The thing is, I already have it. Even if I'm not supposed to use it on personal activities, it's a good backup plan.

But isn't it a bit too big, especialy if I'm hiking without a tent?
>>
File: image.jpg (135 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
135 KB, 640x1136
Sorry to shill again, but another one of these "Flash Sales" is going on and they have some tents for really, really cheap. Coleman headlamps too along with a few other random things.

>tfw no fishin gear
>>
>>745013
pretty sure you can truck it without the tent, id pack a tarp and ground cover in case you run into some shit. the bag will do what it needs to do.
if you literally have no gear i'd suggest the following:
heat conservation needs: fire procurement, heat sustainment (proper researched layered clothes, shelter, tinder & ignition)
food: easy means of procurement & cooking of one-step meals
cutting tool (one do all type is best)
drinking vessel that can boil (or not, but necessarily supplemented with a filter and purification of any kind, point towards sawyer)

THEN, see if your gear can be sustained within the pack you already have, and if not, researched then purchase one. MOST dayhikes will go smoothly but those are not the ones that we pack for. (remember)
>>
Idk what thread to ask this in but does anybody know what a vintage Coleman 88 dacron sleeping bag is rated to?
>>
>>745419
>vintage
It is rated for warmer temps than it used to be. That's all I got.
>>
>>742253
He is going to be selling them along the trail.
>>
>>745442
I just went with the name eBay had
>>
>>746340
How'd you come across it? Curious over here
>>
File: image.jpg (73 KB, 500x750) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
73 KB, 500x750
I'm completely new to being outdoors. I've never been in nature before How the hell do I start? Is there a beginners guide of things that I should have?
>>
>>746429
Start with a dayhike. Carry a water bottle
>>
>>746429
Should have got a camo horse desu famalan
>>
>>746429
get a knife 1st, then
>>746535

Leave some type of markers if you are heading off established trails, like plastic colored tape, so you can find your way back.
>>
>>746643
Better advice is to not go off established trails at all until they are confident in their abilities. A knife is just a fashion accessory on a day hike.
>>
>>746429
Google "Mountaineer's Ten Essentials"
>>
>>746429
I'd say cut (a knife or hatchet), cover (also a way to retain your body temp ei proper clothing, sleeping bag, wool blanket, etc), combustion (bic lighter for starts, ways to sustain those fire for the next day) cordage (paracord, tarred twine, bankline are all great), then container (ss steel water bottles single lined are nice because you can boil and drink in the same vessel).
Once you get yourself together with those things I'd get yourself something, really anything to carry your gear without investing much in it. Like second hand store cheap. Around this point you'll start really seeing where your needs and strengths are and start putting together a good kit. You'll know when your ready to put money into a quality cry-once-buy-once rucksack. I'd say thats a good guide on a start. Chime in guys if you feel I'm giving bad advice, I feel I'm giving our /b/ro a fair shake.
>>
>>747163
Good advice but I still think he should go on a dayhike before he gets too invested. Some people fantasize the wilderness and when they actually get /out/, they realize it isn't like the books and movies and they aren't actually all that fond of heat, humidity, mosquitos, sweat, freezing temps, etc.

A dayhike is totally free, no equipment required except a good pair of shoes and a water bottle, and it's a good way to see if he wants to take it further. If he goes /out/ and feels the spark, he'll come back for more. If not, then he won't have wasted any money on equipment he isn't going to use anymore.
>>
>>747179
I'd say your right man. It'd be a shame invest in something that you end up hating. Let me say this then anon wondering about the wild. Whats so nice about being /out/ is the extremes and how moments seem to come out of nowhere. Life is so much more in the moment it feels. Very simplified. I'd go ahead and go for some good dayhikes and let people know where your going and when your planning on being back. Bring some snacks and try to stay within signal of your cell phone just to be on the safe side. no bushwacking here /b/ro just some trails that are available to you. Bring a friend, hopefully someone who won't complain.
>>
Any recommendations on bags or packs?
>>
>>748461
Bags or packs for what? There's a gajillion different packs for different uses out there.
>>
>>748474
Backpacks for lugging gear and or duffle bags, I guess.
>>
>>748475
>lugging gear
That narrows it down to pretty much all backpacks ever made. The good anon helps those who help themselves.
>>
>>748490
>narrows it down to pretty much all backpacks ever made
Don't be difficult, that's why I'm asking. Give me a place to start based on personal experience..
>>
>>743107

So are firearms, so fuck off fag.
>>
File: image_11.jpg (66 KB, 530x587) Image search: [Google]
image_11.jpg
66 KB, 530x587
>>748551
>Don't be difficult
>Give me

How doesthat work out for you in you daily life?

Get a backpack in the 60 to 70 litre class, for example an Osprey Atmos for more than a few day outings.

Get something like 40 to 50 for overnighters.

A jansport for dayhikes.
>>
>>748769
jordan??
>>
>>748551
You're the one being difficult, asshat. We have to know what you're using the backpack for before we can make recommendations. And no, "carrying gear," is not specific enough.
>>
>>743895
>Implying that you can't hunt with 7.62x39

WHEW
H
E
W

>>742237
/k/ommando here too, OP.

I'd probably opt out of carrying the galvanized wire, yoyo fishing reels, and peestol.

I know that you wanted a firearm to hand off to a friend, but I'd rather just carry a marlin papoose or .22 cricket, and some .22 ammo. Realistically, you'll probably have more luck popping squirrels and rabbits, than with yoyofishing reels and improvised snares.

Also, what's the deal with 2 canteens, and like 3 knives?
>>
So just seeking a little guidance from /out/.

Just received orders from the Army, going to be stationed in Ft Carson, Colorado for the next few years. Really want to out together a kit for backpacking and hiking. I know gear from the military world, and have had my fair share of roughing it already, although I'm completely new to the cold weather...never even seen snow before...

Any recommendations on gear to get started with?
>>
>>749277
Well I was going back and forth between getting a bladder instead of having an jug of water and went with the SS. I have this thing from Blue Desert Hydration systems that turns it into a bladder of sorts. Works really well. I just need to get a new hose, the old one was too short. I'm planning on buying a .22 pistol to replace the 9. it'll have to wait till next year cause I'm usually trying to break rent as it is.
>>
>>749278
Start by reading reviews about gloves, boots, snowshoes, gaitors and hiking poles.
>>
Hammock or pop up 1 man tent? I'm trying to sort gear out for hobo life
>>
>>749439
a .22 pistol is a good idea, but I still think that the Marlin Papoose is the GOAT.

It's far more affordable too, probably ~300 after FFL transfers, and stainless steel too.

Take a look at some reviews on it.
>>
>>749278
Someone else had a very similar question and an anon gave decent advice
>>
>>749699
I will keep my eye on it. If they made a model as a .22lr/410 shotgun combo I'd be all over it
>>
>>742256

"/k edition"

Then put it on /k, fuckwit
>>
>>742237
does all that gear fit in the pack in the picture Op?

I'm looking for a '3-day pack'
something i could backpack with for 3 days, enough to live out of without relying on foraging.
>>
>>742247
shut up. this isn't a "weapons" thread.
this is /out/ related.

i fucking swear every time one of you liberal hippie faggots sees a gun in op image you scream "go back to /k/!" like a bunch of sissy faggots
>>
>>753209
fuck you. kill yourself with your hippie sandals douchebag
>>
>>743107
>firearms
>not /out/ related
>not hunting innawoods
>not shooting innawoods
>not training for Red Dawn innawoods
>not protecting yourself from dangerous animals innawoods
Fuck off
>>
File: meanwhile_in_finland.jpg (58 KB, 605x609) Image search: [Google]
meanwhile_in_finland.jpg
58 KB, 605x609
>>753659
>>753660
> don't know what liberal means, but sure think they are the enemy

Nice samefagging, faglord.
>>
File: WP_20151012_005~2~2.jpg (513 KB, 1632x916) Image search: [Google]
WP_20151012_005~2~2.jpg
513 KB, 1632x916
>>
File: WP_20160421_19_45_32_Pro.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1456) Image search: [Google]
WP_20160421_19_45_32_Pro.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1456
>>756096
Crossbow not pictured!
>>
>>744977

Hip pads that large are a big red flag for low quality.
>>
>>756096
>That big ass stove
Are you kidding me?
>>
>>756096
>huge stove
>Kettle for ants

Why?
>>
>>756130
it's clearly not backpacking gear
if it's staying within 30 feet of your car who gives a fuck how big it is?
>>
>>742237
That weaponry seems a bit over the top. Doesn't an AK weigh like 5 kg? A normal hunting rifle only weighs like 3 kg in comparison and is way less bulky. Also what do you need so much ammo for? Are you going to hunt a herd of bison?

And I don't think you need to carry a handgun if you already have a rifle. I assume it's for self defense, but you are already outdoors, a rifle would outperform a handgun anyway.

And are those three hunting knifes? You really don't need three knifes. Just carry a really good big one and maybe a shitty multi-tool as backup.

I would rather carry more water and food instead if I were you. You could also carry a small cooking pot so you can enjoy some hot meals, tea and boil water.
>>
>>756380
SHALL
>>
>>756422
NOT
>>
>>756445
PASS
>>
>>756445
BE
>>
>>756465
INFRINGED
>>
>>756465
BEARED
>>
>>756469
>>756467
>>756465
>>756455
>>756445
>>756422
Okay thanks
>>
File: takethatballoon.gif (2 MB, 260x208) Image search: [Google]
takethatballoon.gif
2 MB, 260x208
>>756455
kek
>>
>>742247
>guns don't belong on /out/ REEEEEE
Boy this gets old
>>
File: 20160507_005642.jpg (1 MB, 2048x1152) Image search: [Google]
20160507_005642.jpg
1 MB, 2048x1152
Green: always carry

I do carry more food, typically about four days worth, Ive stayed innawoods 3 weeks with this kit with 7 days of mountain house.

Blue : Extra water/aid/fire/capacity and or transport

when I need to travel by road short distances(to and from town) or need extra water. Can be strapped to pack together also

Red: hunting/ shtf.

Can easily stay innawoods for months (game dependent) usually gets used on hunting trips 7-10 days. 200 rnds is plenty in case of disaster.

My rain jacket(idk where that shit is) and colt Ar-15 arent pictured (dads on hunting trip) It takes the place of the 22 when needed.

This setup weighs between 15-30 pounds dependent on the firearms/climate/needs, not including worn clothing.

My winter setup is much bigger, weighs about 40 lbs.

I will be replacing some things with lighter alternatives.(sheet,lantern,tent,etc.)
If anybody wants names of certain things just ask. I'm open to suggestions aswell. The backpack is about 30 litres, everything in green but the firearms and water bottles fit within
>>
>>758390
>can stay easily inna woods
>200 rounds is plenty
Is it fantasy month again?
>>
>>742237
Pack full of useless dead weight unless you are in a post apocalypse.
>>
>>759758
>Pack full of useless dead weight unless you are in a post apocalypse.
/k/ in a nutshell
>>
>>759704
Elaborate?
>>
File: 1459046538083.jpg (13 KB, 540x489) Image search: [Google]
1459046538083.jpg
13 KB, 540x489
>>760001
If SHTF so hard that you must go inna woods others try the same. All of them. You will be one refugee amongst 300 million refugees. But unless everyone else, you have 200 rounds, right?

And what exactly would be that SHTF? I mean, exactly?
>>
Hi guys, what would you recommend for a first time /out/ knife buyer who wants to start getting into knifes. Something preferably sturdy, can cut through thin materials with ease and saw through wood/rope/etc and I'd like it to have a good weight and feel to it.

I'd be using it while camping mostly in case that is of any importance.
>>
>>760865
Without joke, a Mora or Hultafors work knife. Then, when you still think you need something better, drop serious coin. Some decide that they are happy with a work knive.
>>
>>760865
swiss army knife alpinist and opinel 9 is what I use. Never needed anything else.
>>
>>748769
Im looking for a larger pack for a week long trip.
How does the Atmos 65 hold up/anything else that might be better?
Will 65 do considering we are flying out so i need to get everything i need (including tent) into it? Will probably get away with strapping my sleeping bag outside, but i want to pack the tent in so the poles dont get broken when the baggage handlers throw my shit around at the airport.
Lightweight would be an advantage but i want a quality bag, ill be packing lightweight clothing etc so it shouldnt be a big issue
>>
Is it worth it to lug along an axe for long term camping/backpacking? Or would I be just as good with a lighter hatchet or tomahawk?
>>
>>761969
Depends where you are going and what are you calling long term doesn't? Elaborate.
>>
>>762083
Well I've been living the vagabond life for about 6 months now, and I'm about to hitchhike out to Colorado, to avoid paying for lodging I'll be camping quite a bit. I may even find a place in the flatirons by boulder to set up a semi-permanent shelter to camp out for a week or two. All I have now is a nice knife, but nothing for processing any larger pieces of wood
>>
>>762115
Well yes. Get an axe, and the means to keep it sharp. You could make your own handle in the field if you happen to break it, but you'll be better off if you get a spare one.
>>
File: triggered.jpg (16 KB, 320x371) Image search: [Google]
triggered.jpg
16 KB, 320x371
>>760833
Are you serious? Do you honestly believe that I would need to fight 300 million people?you don't even know where I live or what type of forest are near me. There is no saying what type of shit will happen and this gear doesn't make me invincible by any means. And I said disaster as in leave home because of flood( unlikely where I live ) fire(also unlikely) or illness. Sick people won't go to the woods. And of those that did in my state at least won't all have guns and those that do won't all be hostile. Its not a kit for war, it's for fucking self preservation.
>>
File: setup.jpg (4 MB, 4968x2776) Image search: [Google]
setup.jpg
4 MB, 4968x2776
>>742237

Hi OP.

I just went HAM AS FUCK making a graphic for my friends, who are always asking what I bring on trips. I just broke down the pack today for our upcoming trip this weekend, so here I got posting.

I'm working on the same thing with my First AId kit, it's not anything special though, pretty standard.
>>
>>762193
Ham radio. Post specs
That opinel, what number is it
Compass, where are the maps
>ramen
>portable grill (just use green wood)
>>
>>762200

UV-5R Baofeng chepie
Opinel No. 8 with Mora 120 and 164
Maps are in my sketchbook which I forgot to include in the picture, also have a bunch in my car / BoB.

As for the portable grill, it was a christmas gift from the inlaws so I am sorta obligated to use it for a while lol
>>
Posting to let you know if you dont bring a kabar strapped to your waist every time you go /out/ you are an utter fucking disgrace
>>
>>762211
>it was a christmas gift from the inlaws so I am sorta obligated to use it for a while lol
Absolutelly understood. IKTF, otherwise, your setup looks allright. But how does it looks like inside your pack?
>>
File: setup-packed.jpg (4 MB, 3024x3944) Image search: [Google]
setup-packed.jpg
4 MB, 3024x3944
>>762228

It's a pretty legit setup, I've been impressed with it and is definitely doing it's job until I can afford a nicer pack like a Kelty Condor or someting similar.
>>
File: setup-FirstAid.jpg (3 MB, 3576x2696) Image search: [Google]
setup-FirstAid.jpg
3 MB, 3576x2696
>>762228
>>762242

Here's the First Aid kit, I really need to get around to getting this updated, it's in pretty poor shape and I spent more money on my BoB's FA then I did the pack I take normally. Mistakes are often made!

I'd like to make my own with one of the fancy Molle carriers - They look nice, fit a lot, and can have a lot of easy access features that makes them shine. Forgot the brand names but I'm sure there are tons.
>>
>>756537
Holy shit that guy's fast.
>>
File: 1462145992185.jpg (96 KB, 851x722) Image search: [Google]
1462145992185.jpg
96 KB, 851x722
>>761725
Yes, 65 will do. The Atmos is a robust pack which you'll be able to use for years.

You have to put your sleeping bag on the outside in the winter, since they usually are very bulky. I use a ortlieb watertight sack for it, no thorn can pierce it.

If the tent fits depends on the dimensions of the tent.

To make sure there will be no problem in the airport bring a cotton sack or so, so that no straps can dangle about.

I too prefer robustness over lightfaggotry.

Yeah, the Atmos would fit your demands (unless your tent is huge of course).

>>761969
Bring a folding saw. An axe is not worth it if you don't know for sure that you need it. Also, you never used an axe, it needs maintenance, a file, a sharpening stone, oil. Also, weight.

>>762159
Yes, i'm sure if only you shoot first, you'll survive inna if TEOTWAWKI comes. Don't let your dreams be dreams, mang.
>>
>>762334
My tent is about 10L so 55L for the rest of my gear.
my sleeping bag and mat (sidesleeper so cant do without it) are the only other big things that i cant pack other stuff inside and ill probably get away with strapping them onto the pack.
55L should cover clothing and necessities and my share of the group gear (pans etc)
Im gonna borrow a 65L pack off a bro and check i can fit all the gear, if not are osprey packs pretty good all round?
Im seeing i can get the xenith in 75/88L
>>
>>762715
>My tent is about 10L
U wot m8? Do you even metric?
>>
>>762723
Packed, itll take up about 10L
>>
File: smirk_duck.jpg (69 KB, 678x519) Image search: [Google]
smirk_duck.jpg
69 KB, 678x519
>>762715
Osprey is good quality.

Take a hint from an oldfag with 30 years experience in backpacking: The less you take, the smaller your pack, the lighter your gear, the more fancy food and wine you can bring.

I crossed the alps in 4 weeks from munich to venezia, sleeping in a bivvy, on foot, with a 50l Berghaus pack, nothing strapped on the outside except a pair of walking sticks.

However, my gear is optimized for volume and weight somewhat.
>>
>>762723
10l is a measure of volume and appropriate in this context. 1l is a cubic dezimeter, or 10cm^3. 10l could be 50x10x20cm. Do you math, at all?
>>
>>762729
Yeah was just pulling your leg.
>>
>>762769
>dolan
Are you a finn?
>>
>>762298
4u
>>
>>756380
It is worth it in my preference. Being readily able to dump 30 rnds if need be is great. If your worried about it being bulky it's an Slr 107fr dude the F in fr stands for folding stock. Super compact more so than a hunting rifle :)
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1936
>>762222
Op here quints checked and good thing all my knives are kabars. In all honesty guize, everyone keeps asking me about my three knives and if you look at my pack, the core essentials aren't redundant except my knife. I keep the small EDC in my back pocket, the trailing point on my belt and the drop point in my backpack. If I lose my pack and lose the one in my pocket in a bad water crossing or when I'm canoing I'll always be able to start a fire and make a shelter with my belt knife.
>>
File: ruck.jpg (3 MB, 3006x4308) Image search: [Google]
ruck.jpg
3 MB, 3006x4308
>>762193
this is both a quality and aesthetic load out.
>>
>>763025
Nein.
>>
>>762769
Yes, doable. But you didn't have to carry all you needed. You could get water and food during your trip so that helps. Can you show us your setup?
>>
>>763521
True, i could get water and food at least everytwo days.

The setup isn't very complex, a 30 euro sleeping bag from high-peak (summerbag, very light), a nylon bivy from mckinley (against spray and wind), a sleeping pad from thermarest (prolite plus), a ponchotarp (wafö monsun), my cook kit and two waterboottles, a washkit, two pairs of socks/undies/shirts, a fleece hoodie, a windjacket, a wool hat, zip-of-trousers, a victorinox hercules, toiletpaper, handy, compass, map, earbuds, string, a bit of food and the bagpack from berghaus. My boots are teva kimtah with event.

For smaller outings i have a pair of merrel moab vent.

Pretty generic, cheap and obtainable stuff i guess. No pic yet.

The largest problem i have is keeping mymobile powered. I also plan to look into hammockfagging and maybe a lighter sleeping pad.
>>
>>763612
>handy
of what sorts? Do you actually use it? I'm thinking in getting one after reading the radio thread

>hammockfagging
Nah don't go there. Plenty of lightweight one person tents around. Also It's not like 20 years ago when a one person tent was as expensive as an expedition one. Look at the rei quarter dome, has solid reviews.
>>
>>763637
Just a generic Android mobile, sorry, we call them handy, not mobile.

Still, i want to try hammocking, maybe its comfy after all? If not i have a hammock for the kids.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
Long distance 3 season backpacking kit. Base weight ~9lbs
>>
>>764055
I need to make a pic like that as well.
>>
File: sckghzj.jpg (20 KB, 300x562) Image search: [Google]
sckghzj.jpg
20 KB, 300x562
>>764055
Wait, where is your sleeping gear? What about rain?
>>
>>764264
Yeah me too. I always thought that it was pointless but it does give you another perspective and can be used as a quick checklist.
>>
File: ayyy.png (256 KB, 384x478) Image search: [Google]
ayyy.png
256 KB, 384x478
So I'm kind of new to going /out/, what would be a good jacket to get?
>>
>>764552
Theres a million different types of jackets
>>
>>742243
Pmags in a Arsenal? Really anon?
>>
>>764554
What kinds are there?

>>742243
How are you enjoying that finish chipping off, fag?
>>
>>764574
Jacket qualities
>breathability
>waterproof
>windproof
>has a hood
>insulated
etc

Most jackets have a combination of these. Without more information about what you want to do how could anybody tell you what to get?
>>
>>764578
Something breathable and preferably with a hood
I live in michigan so waterproofing or resistance would be very nice
>>
File: IMG_20160513_201656-1.jpg (1 MB, 1286x3887) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160513_201656-1.jpg
1 MB, 1286x3887
Do any of you use a machete? This is my buddy... I just finished it. Works wonderfully.. I live in a subtropic region so lots of palm to cut through. Good for clearing tall leafy crap around ponds for fishing.
>>
>>764843
>teleports behind you
>>
File: Muh Knives.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1536) Image search: [Google]
Muh Knives.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1536
>>764843
I've looked at getting an 18in Ontario Military machete (because it comes with a hard plastic sheath).

But what I currently have is more than adequate enough.
>>
>>764866
Wut? I don't speak memes.
>>764881
The one with red paint looks really cool. Both look great for woods more then mine. Mine is meant for sawpalm and grasses. And very light wood. From the back of the handle to the tip is 28.125 inches. Oh and chopping my way through grapevines and black berrys too. But only when i need to. I like harvesting the wild berrys when they are in season so don't like being destructive willynilly.
>>
>>764888
The red one is the Buck Camp Froe.

EXTREMELY good knife, it exceeds at everything I have thrown at it so far.
>>
>>764888
>unsheathes machete
>>
>>764908
>camp froe.

looks like a REALLY cool I'd even own one. but carrying a real froe into the woods if I'm going to need it, is much cheaper for me. as I've already got it. my froe works like a tomahawk does. the head friction fits onto the handle, and it packs nicely. my own issue would be I have to be careful where I place the head, as I don't have any way to protect the edge from other things, I've had the edge split open its fair share of plastic disposable water battles. and turn the bottom of my backpack into a small swimming pool. lol

I've got to remake a scabbard for this machete too, the one Its in is made of spruce, and is WAAYY too thick, weighing about the same as the machete itself. I'm going to place an order at my woodcraft store to hopefully get some maybe 1/4" thick, 4 inch wide, 40 inch long boards. as I don't got a bandsaw to cut really wide boards, and I bent my panel saw four weeks ago, and the bend is to extreme and I couldn't get it hammered out. so I have to get a new one, or find a replacement.

I'm thinking maybe cedar. I don't need pretty, just need function. and my leather working skills are zero to none. and I've grown to like wooden scabbards.
>>
>>764562
I'm planning on buying some toth's tools here soon but they were what I had available for a good price at the time. Oh, no bubbling on mine and I've mag dumped it plenty
>>
>>764843
I own a tramontina 14" bolo machete which i use for clearing ground for camping and chopping branches. Works pretty well
>>
>>766337

That's a good inexpensive machete. I have one too and it's great.
>>
>>756380
>And I don't think you need to carry a handgun if you already have a rifle

Err...they fill entirely different rolls. Rifles are pretty much the best outdoors gun, you are correct. But they are big and bulky and you aren't going to be carrying it on your person 24/7 like you can with a pistol. Also guns can malfunction so it makes sense to have a backup handgun that you can easily and quickly transition to in a hurry.

But the main thing would be the 24/7 carry thing. If I'm in camp I'm going to have my fucking rifle slung over my back all the time. It'll be nearby, but in a pinch I can ALWAYS have a pistol on me. That's why people have both.
>>
File: canvas.png (308 KB, 631x737) Image search: [Google]
canvas.png
308 KB, 631x737
What does /out/ think of the Northface Millerton?
I was thinking about getting one
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>766337
>>766341
If you're not buying Tramontina, you're doing it wrong.
>>
>>766687
>having a machete in michigan
Bruh
>>
File: IMG_1878.jpg (4 MB, 5184x3456) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1878.jpg
4 MB, 5184x3456
>don't wanna be unarmed innawoods
>don't wanna carry rifle so people don't think I'm the paranoid autist that I am
>be poorfag
>only handgun I have is CZ82 in 9mm mak
>basically just a hot .380
>tfw get raped by lightly bleeding bigfoot
>>
>>766712
>implying I bought it to use in Michigan
Bruh
>>
>>766687
why do you have like 3 pairs of hiking shoes?
>>
>>766714
Get a savage mk2 anon. A rimfire rifle and the mak is good unless you go into bear country. Even then I would just bring bear bangers
>>
>>766844
They weren't all mine. This was taken while doing field work with 6 other people in the Caribbean
>>
>>760833
Unless it's nuclear holocaust time, there will be many towns and small cities that are safer than running off into the woods.

Most people can't feed themselves in the wild so most people won't go into the wild for very long. Temperature becomes a big problem for unprepared people too.

You might carry only one 30 rnd mag if you want to play soldier in the woods and replace the weight you dropped with more water bottles/canteens or more food.

I'm a serious leisure class camer and even when I take faux Rambo gear into the woods it's usually a 12ga and a pistol. Sometimes an ak clone or fal clone. I haven't played faux Rambo in a while and usually don't take more than a stick with me these days.
>>
File: shtf bob 2.jpg (1 MB, 3008x2325) Image search: [Google]
shtf bob 2.jpg
1 MB, 3008x2325
>>742237

Not enough bic lighters. Nice fedora though.
>>
File: 2-20150321_071528.jpg (680 KB, 2443x2745) Image search: [Google]
2-20150321_071528.jpg
680 KB, 2443x2745
>>762245
>sterile gloves

First off, those aren't sterile. Not even close. Second off, you don't need sterile gloves, and third off, you don't need latex/vinyl medical gloves of any kind in the first place, so don't take them. Just don't. Waste of space. They wear out and get holes from just sitting in a kit. Use your leather work gloves if you have a massive trauma and really care about bloodborne pathogens. And for minor surgical procedures like incision an drainage or suturing wounds, sterile gloves and drapes have no evidence for benefit.
>>
>>767186
what backpack do you use for that?
>>
>>742237
>tfw kinda want an AK for my /out/ rifle.

My AR is an A4gery and heavy as all fuck. I wanna build a PAP pistol with a KAK shockwave with a folding adapter.
>>
File: IMG_20160516_1.png (2 MB, 1200x675) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160516_1.png
2 MB, 1200x675
Missing is my Glock 26 which is carried iwb daily. The fire kit goes on my belt, then opinel in my pocket, the mora on my neck (that's my edc minis a surefire G2 in the back pocket and reload in with opinel) everything else rides in the Eberlestock. The little 300 blackout is the most handiest gun I own. If I'm in my jeep I have a maxpedition bag filled with mags and food and such, plus a ham radio. The atvs are stocked with the same. And I got a huge German duffle bag with rice, tools, batteries, ammo, ect as a long term off grid cache. My Bug out location isnt far away and it's legitimately perfect with a stocked pond, a water tank, radio tower, several shelters including busses with stoves for winter, land for gardening, heavy equipment, nurses, mechanics, and gun collectors all living there. It's our own private piece of heaven. Oh, and a abandoned mines if things get too sketchy.
>>
>>742237
is that stanley cook set nested with water bottle? Which water boot is that, I have been looking for one to nest inside stanley cooker.
>>
>>744109
>>766687
These look like 5.11 moab 6 (or 10 bags)

if they are how are they? I was thinking of getting one for /out/ or shtf.
>>
>>767193
Thanks for the tip, I'll keep that in mind. They were included in the kit that I bought a few years ago, which includes most of what is in the picture with some really minor changes.

Like I said, it's in pretty poor shape at the moment and is something I really need to work on, probably will get a new FAK together in a few weeks. Thanks for the inspiration.
>>
File: It's a conspiracy!.jpg (58 KB, 591x443) Image search: [Google]
It's a conspiracy!.jpg
58 KB, 591x443
>>767440
Cool setup. It lacks a stove tho. What's the fan looking thing besides the flask?
>>
>>767440
kek @ that little frying pan.

>>768466
looks like a solar charger thing
>>
>>767193
>sterile gloves and drapes have no evidence for benefit.
they are a barrier against bloodborne pathogens for the person doing the suturing

learn to first aid before giving advice
>>
>>767193

>Paramedic shows up to site of motorbike crash
>blood everywhere
>bystander happens to be a doctor, already helping out
>"Here Mister, put some gloves on and we'll get this guy sorted"
>"Gloves? I'm not afraid of AIDS!"
>"But he might be"
Thread replies: 221
Thread images: 40

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.