[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ultra Light fags. what is the minimum stuff you take and how
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 4
Ultra Light fags.

what is the minimum stuff you take and how long can you stay /out/ for?

I want to be able to stay /out/ for as long as i want with only a day pack. hunting, gathering and crafting to supplement what i dont take.
>>
>>737085
knife, heavy duty trash bag, 20yds 550 para. 6 pack of fishhooks, 20 yds fishline.
Easy week.
>>
>>737136
neverbeenout.jpg
>>
>>737139
Sorry you've never been out. I certainly have and that is what I need for a week. If you can't do it, too bad.
>>
>>737147
> no food
> no shelter
> no means of water purification
> no means of fire production
> out for a week without these fundamentals

Yeah you've never left your basement bud. Much less spent a week in the woods with just fish hooks and a knife
>>
>>737175

It's a week. You aren't going to starve to death or die of dehydration. Even if he drank dirty water he would be fine for a week. Stop watching Man vs Wild or Dual Survivor and go outside.
>>
>>737136
>550 para

That shit is so heavy. You aren't an ultralighter.
>>
>>737136
>I tell lies on the Internet
>>
>>737182
Really now? So you just drink any old water when your out in the woods alone with nothing but a knife and fish hooks. How could anything go wrong?!? I mean wow he'd be so prepared if he got crippling diarrhea from bacteria with his knife and fish hooks! Who needs anti diarrheal pills or a filter, or somewhere to sleep, he can just catch some fish!

Here's s little tip retard: don't talk about shit you know nothing about. K? Thanks. Because going out that unprepared is exactly how people get into life threatening situations. But but " it's only a week" what could go wrong amirite guiz
>>
>>737182
i might be reading too much into this, but think he's talking about being able to still have fun outside, and return to society relatively intact. imi presuming most folks on this board don't have the gut flora to hand 3rd world water

>>737085
I'd bring a sealable pot, small hatchet/folding saw, carving-sharp knife, maybe water treatment tabs, layered clothes, cordage of choice, magnesium/striker rod combo, chia seed, flour, sugar, olive oil, and two small reflective tarps

you can get away with much less less than that, but since i like to be comfy and unhungry in my time out, i carry a few extra comforts.
not badass, but feelsgoodman.
>>
>>737175
>you've never left your basement bud. Much less spent a week in the woods
Eagle scout in 1976, I've been out once or twice. Yes I can survive a week with just that. I also am hand picking where I'll be and there will be clean water and fish.

OP asked minimum, not optimal. Reading comprehension is not that difficult for you is it?

Sure, I'd love a tent or a hammock and other gear/comforts but that was not the question at hand.

suck it h8ters
>>
>>737283
i should probably add that i don't hunt, but can fish and forage reasonably well. i wouldnt be bereft of veggies
>>
>>737285
>suck it h8ters
Yeah this kid was definitely an Eagle Scout in '76 lol
>>
>>737285
Oh ok so you hang out by the creek in your backyard for a week, that makes much more sense

Because no one in their right mind would go into the actual backcountry with just that gear. you cannot tell me that you spend a week in any sort of real wilderness with that load out. It's just not true and I won't believe it, sorry dude
>>
>>737296
This kid was born in 63 and is old as fuck.
I was also at Lexington Concord BSA jamboree for the Bicentennial. Again, yeah, I've been /out/ once or twice.
Ultimately you bore me though so peace and happiness and get /out/, however or whatever that means to you.
>>
>>737306
>with just that gear
Again, bare minimum, that was the question. How is this difficult?
No not my backyard, but the question ws not what would I bring if I were going to be blindfolded and dropped in a random place. In this scenario I choose to go to a place I know and visit at least once/yr and would be just fine.

Create a different scenario and I'll gove you a different list of what I'll need.
>>
>>737237

You have never been outside have you?
>>
>>737314
Go fuck yourself

>>737361
And you as well

Bloods not on my hands If some retard follows your advice and ends up dead trying to be survivorman. stop lying on the Internet and get a goddamn life you shmucks
>>
>>737368

I bet you're American. You're raised and brainwashed to be consumerists. All of your forest lands are Federally owned with buildings every few miles and you think you need fucking 50lb of gear to "survive" a week outside where a road or park ranger is only a few miles away. Yet you all ignore real threats in your lives and continue smoking cigarettes and eating your shitty American food laced with high fructose corn syrup. Stay fat and arrogant.
>>
>>737237
Confirmed for backyard camper
>>
Hatchet, folding saw, knife? Skip the folding saw, and get a heavy duty knife
>>
OP here

>>737136
>>737285
so you would build a shelter im guessing? what would you take if you wanted to be a little more comfy?

>>737283
small reflective tarp.. as in emergency blanket? if not what do you use to sleep in?
what type if things would you cook with the chia seeds, flour, sugar? other than bread with seeds in it?

thanks for your replies guys
>>
>>737542
im about 10 years of innawoods experience from that lvl of load out
>>
>>737175
this depends where you're from I think. Where I'm from the line and hooks would mean food almost for sure. a knife would probably not get you a great shelter as you need an axe really. water doesn't need to be purified because close to melt source and few animals around. then lack of fire could be pretty much fatal if it rained or temps dipped below freezing over night which they often do. But in the US I think lack of a fire would be not a big deal the majority of the time. uncomfortable but not fatal. If you can bow drill then your cord will be your fire source. But not in my case.
>>
>>737376
>I bet you're American. You're raised and brainwashed to be consumerists. All of your forest lands are Federally owned with buildings every few miles

>American
Not him, but yes.

>raised and brainwashed to be consumerists
Some of us are aware and unhappy with the situation, but unsure what to do about it. I mean, people who disagreed with Bush too vehemently (and had enough public exposure to do the establishment harm) went quail hunting with Cheney.

>All of your forest lands are Federally owned with buildings every few miles
>buildings every few miles
Have you ever been here, anon? I'm concerned that you may not have a grasp on how huge this place is.

Some of us see, and are disgusted at the 'norm' or status quo, but there are SO MANY STUPID GREEDY FUCKS in positions of power (and the corruption that seems to go hand in hand with said power) that I fear the only way out is unspeakable. Like, literally, the only thing I know of that even speaking of it (here in the land of Freedom of Speech) gets people landed in federal prison.
>insert appropriate image for feels ranging from revulsion to fear to anticipation etc
>fingers crossed against being v& for thought crime, 1984 wasn't supposed to be a blueprint

Thank you, anon, I've needed to get that off my chest for a while. OP, I'm sorry for the post being so far from what you were seeking, let's see if I can rectify that. Personally, for a week, I'd want at least a tarp, some tar line (≈20ft), a small sharp fixed blade knife, a hatchet or folding saw, my bic lighter, a ferro rod in case I lost my bic, a metal container, and a couple fishing keys (each has a decent bit of line and a hook, on a bit of metal that slides nicely into a partially split stick). Maybe iodine tabs, probably just use fire for water purification).
>>
>>737685
no, no; those mylar space blankets suck. there are poncho-sized tarps that are reflective on one side. this lets you string one up as weather cover, a fire reflector, or ground cover (fuck ticks), and still have one to wrap around yourself. you sleep in your clothes. i tend to use my pack as a pillow, but i also have a poncho-liner blanket that is crazy light. they often come with a soft stuffsack you can stuff with soft grass.

bread/damper and cookies are obvious yeah. chia seed includes omega3, protein, and fiber so it's a pretty great backpacking food. you can process acorns (shell, grind, soak overnight, toast) etc to mix into the dough.
flour is pretty cool; you can thicken a soup of wild edibles, or make something like a roux with the oil if you've got something aromatic (bay leaves, sage, juniper) and wanna flavor meat. i'd actually bring some salt with me too.
>>
>>737695
>>737695
that seems like a set up i could work with. i have a tarp i usually camp with. have you noticed if the reflective side make that much difference?

out of curiosity where are you from man? Im from south west Western Australia
>>
>>737376
Litterally has no knowledge on land management in the U.S. I guarantee the US forest service is as good or better than the equivalent in any other country. The majority of groundbreaking ecological studies are done in the U.S. Please leave this anti-american faggotry at reddit, you clearly know nothing about it.
>>
File: 1452779610238.gif (1 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1452779610238.gif
1 MB, 320x240
>>737085
10/10 stellar thread op
>>
>>737175
>>no means of water purification
Went on a 2 week trip to sweden and dident purify any water. You really dont need to do this unless you stay near cities. Small streams will cover you (at least in north scandinavia)
>>
3 paper clips and a spoon

At least 18 months
>>
>>737875
>mfw op wasn't even trying to trigger /out/ and was asking a honest question

noface.jpg
>>
>>737898
>calls people "fags"
>isn't trying to trigger anything
>>
>>737218
>>737136

Yeah this. Not only is the dude clueless about survival the anon also has no fucking idea what ultralight means in this context.

My base weight is 8kg, that's by no means UL but I'm definately conscious of what I take.

When I'm going UL:

GoLite rucksack (700g?)
Down quilt (about 500g)
CCF pad (200g?)
Poncho tarp (about 150g)
Gathered end hammock (about 400g) plus a head bugnet
Whitebox alcohol stove (IIRC 20g)
Ti Mug (200g?)

Once you get those main things down (pack, sleeping gear, shelter, cook) you'll notice a substantial difference in your pack weight.

UL isn't about going without shit its about being smart (and perhaps unduely pioratising weight) about what you pack.

It all adds up, hence the often spouted story of the cut down toothbrush, but little things do make a difference, hence:

Pocket knife rather than fixed knife
Aborist throw line or equi (1.5, 2.2mm di cord) rather than paracord
Poncho rather than rain coat
1x18650 light rather than that old D cell or 3xAA light
Removing packaging from food
Making tent pegs on site rather than carrying your own

Like everything theres a balance. I don't like sacrificing too much comfort but end of the day I prefer hiking with 8kg rather than 14kg. Being conscious of what I take also means I'm happier to pack my camera gear (another 2.2kg), and even sometimes a guitar (because why not),
>>
>>737901
>calls people "fags"
>isn't trying to trigger anything
just how new are you?
>>
>>737927
thanks for your input man appreciated.

im not to familiar with hammock camping but by the sounds of things you use your poncho as a tarp, then the pad and down quilt as a sleeping gear in the hammock? how warm does that keep you? (what is your quilt made of?)

im right there with you, easily rather the 8kg and optional extras.

in terms of food other than hunting trapping foraging and getting food while /out/ what is the most affective (lightest) means of food for UL.

i would imagine something like >>737283
said eg flour sugar and maybe rice?
>>
>>737695
>>737724
yea, i'm not sure how much of it is placebo if we're talkin about reflected body heat, but it is noticeable for reflected fire heat.

im a hippie amerifat from commiefornia; bad/little water, restrictive hunting, lots of flora, and seasonal bugs. i spend summer in the sierras (i climb) and don't really mess with the snow. overall not too bad if you plan around the weather.
what's it like round you?

>>737958
rice can be a good add, just takes more water. i don't mess with dry beans b/c you have to soak em so long- but i'm considering making black beans (higher protein) a breakfast staple.
>>
TECHNICALLY you dont need anything at all; just go out there survivorman style. But starving with dysentary in a crude lean-to isn't my idea of a fun time
>>
>>737974
sounds a little like oz. not much hunting here unless its private land.

in contrast though our land is very UN-fertile so not much in the way of flora to be eaten.
winter is the best time to get /out/ as the summer the rivers are dry and its is hot af

i usually hike a track called the bibbulman track. it has rain tanks every so often so water isnt as much of a problem.

thats not a bad idea would you take dehydrated beans and maybe soak them over night?

im looking into ultra light as im starting to get into walking off trail and as you most likely know is very different to walking on an almost clear track.
>>
>>737982
ya me neither. but im sure if you managed to fill your belly and keep warm some nights it would be a great experience
>>
>>737987
i feel like every nature-inclined american kid hopes to play in australia at some point, n i'm no exception. nice to meet you ozfriend.

yea wild edibles are pretty easily identifiable here, an aside from poisonous look-alikes they don't really hide. agricultural runoff is a real concern when you're not in the mountains, and mountain water gets pooped in by rodents. and probably /out/ists.

just googled bibbulman; that looks beautiful! there's a colder version of that (sorta) in nor-cal called the Lost Coast Trail. I went in spring and it was all black sand beaches and mist shrouded redwoods.

yep, the beans would have to soak overnight. cowboy foodgroups start to make a lotta sense pretty quickly.

offtrail gets tricky in CA; it's generally either impassable or prohibited, but i found an area last spring that allowed for a lot of wandering and even dispersed camping- which is weird for a fire-prone state in a drought.
>>
>>737999
nice to meet you too and nice trips btw

i have always wanted to spend some time hiking your wood lands and mountain ranges. really awesome looking stuff over there. and the way the climate can go from as hot as it is here to snowing in the same area is crazy!

Lost Coast Trail looks very similar in some google images where the water is involved. the scrub is very different though. i love how varied the terrain is in your country

the bush here can get pretty thick too but its not too bad. i assume cali would be very populated though? i imagine i would be driven off the tracks as i like the solitude and its hard to pick berries when everyone has already had a go! you also have bear thought so theres that..
>>
>>737999
whats the cowboy food group if you dont mind? is it particular or just a general name for bush food
>>
>>737999
>cowboy foodgroups
can you explain?
>>
>>738010
>>738022
beans, bacon, whiskey, and lard.
FFS, l2google.
>>
>>738275
You forgot coffee
>>
>>738275
and flour, sugar, and salt
>>
>>737958

>im not to familiar with hammock camping but by the sounds of things you use your poncho as a tarp, then the pad and down quilt as a sleeping gear in the hammock? how warm does that keep you? (what is your quilt made of?)

Yeah pretty much this. My quilt is down, DIY number, it's good for May-September here, in the winter I take a cut down sleeping bag (no hood) together with the quilt, and a second CCF pad (tho I'm gonna switch to a downpad for next season I think)

I don't usually try and weight save on food too much. Maybe eat the heaviest on the first day/s of the trip, but I'm a fan of packing fruit and veg with me, cuts of meat, good eating.

Premixed bannock mix (flat bread) with random ingredients stuffed in is a camp favourite. Mix with water at camp, and cook on the lid of a pot, or on a decent stone if there is one (even tried a split open log).

Look also to calorific value ratio to weight for foods. Trail mix, nuts and seeds are popular for a reason. My favourite was always to pack a few Snickers bars for when I was feeling a bit low.

I also like porridge and dried milk (mixed with water found onsite) for my breakfast. Always go for a hot breakfast if I can, bit of fruit, cup of tea and a spliff
>>
>>737085
Knife, bottle, first aid and pistol. I don't need water since there are lots of water holes in the forest and no food because lots of quail live in the forest and it's legal to hunt them.

I can stay out for a week or two really. Depends on my mood.
>>
>>738530
im pretty sure bannock is the english version of damper? if so you can cook on the hot coal/ember and white ash perfectly fine if you cant find a rock or you lid is too small.

ive never been able to get a perfect mix of water/milk-porridge ratio. you you add hot water or heat it all together?

>>738591
this is the ideal camp for me. but i cant use firearms in my country and water is not 100% safe from the river. those two things alone demand a whole lot of gear to compensate.

im trying to learn trapping and learning bow hunting. should put me in pretty good stead one day.

have you ever been caught out with no game to eat?
>>
File: IMAG0059.jpg (2 MB, 1520x2688) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0059.jpg
2 MB, 1520x2688
Some more dank, I'll be in this warehouse for my whole life
>>
>>738684
what does this have to do with any thing
>>
>>738675
Yes.
I found a quail shortly but it flew away. so I went around running till I found some button mushrooms and took the risk. They didn't have any effect.
>>
Thermalite extreme liner, SOL escape bivvy, ground cloth, CCF pad, tyvek poncho/tarp. ~40 oz, comfortable down to 40F, but I'll also bring polypros (an extra 17 oz) for below freezing temps.

2L soda bottle (for storage), aluminium beer bottle (for boiling). ~ a few oz?

BIC lighter, locked and vacuum sealed BIC backup lighter. Negligible weight.

Food is pretty regional. I may carry line and hooks if I expect fish or just make gorge hooks. I know my plants and mushrooms so I can forage, but that's usually specific to the time of year. I theoretically know how to hunt, trap and snare, but haven't applied it because I've never needed to.

SS Folder. 3 oz. Maybe a few oz of everdry (cotton and wax) firestarter for particularly wet days.

That's all about ~3 lbs, and if all I'm carrying is that, I can just roll my miscellaneous items in my bed roll and throw it over my shoulder in lieu of a heavy backpack.

Oh, and a couple small pouches of alum, an airplane bottle of everclear and a bandana. Can't forget my first aid kit.
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.