[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Want to start hiking, but don't know what to do about ticks
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4
File: tick-warning-sign-camp-site-l.jpg (2 MB, 1800x1200) Image search: [Google]
tick-warning-sign-camp-site-l.jpg
2 MB, 1800x1200
I'd like to get outside more into the forest, but the only thing that's holding me back is the ticks. You guys have any advice for that besides wearing layers?
>>
>>722207
Look, layers or permetherin or off or whatever...ticks are going to get on you. YOu can choose to accept that or you can be all paranoid about them like a bitch.

Do you want to be a bitch?

No.

SO what to do is say fuck ticks and go /out/. Go right into their main lair and just walk right through the whole mass of thEm. Take your pants all the way off if you want. Just go

I get them all the time andI am fine no diseases at all. I have had them clamp on my hair, my neck, all down wherever my socks were. Waitsline. Had a few on my bag at times. All in all they picked right off just grab them and yank.

Ticks are shit creatures but should not stop a grown man from goikng out if he wants to go just go.
>>
>>722207
>Shave Balls
>>
>>722227
Actually permethrin-treated gaiters work pretty fucking fantastic. I work outdoors on a crew of 20 in tick country, and I think we only found one tick last season.
>>
>>722227
I've had lyme disease twice. As long as you have access to modern medicine, it's not a problem. Take your pills for a couple weeks and it goes away.
You should be vaccined against TBE anyway, so no danger from that either.
Unless you live in 'straya, where's the problem?
>>
>>722207
Avoid high grasses. Wear pants.
>>
They must take a long time to actually find a spot on you to bite because I've never once had to deal with one that was attached. Even so, I always have the tweezers that come with the Swiss Army Knife just in case. Just give yourself a check every know and then, more so if you're walking through any sort of field or grass and you'll be fine. I usually find them on my legs or the inside of my pants but make sure you check the inside of your shirt too.
>>
>>722207
Ticks need 4-5 hours to find a sweet spot to suck your blood.
Check every two hours or so and you won't even have to check.
As non chemical solution, stand in wind direction of your campfire and let your clothes absorb the smell, every insect hates it.
Rubbing some ash on your shins also helps.
I don't have a problem with ticks. When you pull them out immediatly the risk of infection is low because they didn't have time to inject that much of their saliva.
Brown (male) ticks don't carry the bacterium that often.
White (female) ticks are the main carrier.
>>
Lyme disease isn't a problem if you're aware of it. Takes 24 hours of a tick being attached to get it. Easily treated with antibiotics. Brain/nerve damage can be permanent tho. Check yourself once a day and you're fine.

Powassan Virus on the other hand is transmitted quickly and there's no cure as far as I know. It's also a new virus so most doctors will miss it or misdiagnose it. It also kills 10% of those diagnosed with it.
>>
Reminder that dogs can get Lyme disease vaccine, but that they won't even try to test for a vaccine for humans. Thanks, modern medicine.
>>
Wear trousers,
Either tuck your socks into your trousers or your trousers over your boots (I have elastic draw cord on my out pants)
Wear gaiters if you're really para.
Tuck your tee into your trousers
Don't put clothing layers directly on the ground

Don't be a bitch. If you get one either take it off yourself or go to a&e and they'll do it for you

I've had dozens of ticks now, there are loads of deer tick here in Scotland , only once I've had to go to hospital when a mandible broke off (tiny) and infected the bite.

And trust me its way worse for your dog. My pup picks them up around her eyes and ears almost every time we go out in the season.

Also you can out in the winter when there are no bugs. Its very peaceful and a big fire negates the cold.
>>
>>722538
It's because some anti vax faggots decided to lobby against the human vaccine and they got it shut down.
>>
>want to start going out
>live in europoor with no bears or other shit
>still afraid of ticks

i'll stay a neet then
>>
>>722481
>Unless you live in 'straya, where's the problem?

What do you mean?

frysquinting.jpg
>>
Eat. Garlic.
>>
dip all your clothing in permethrin solution. and bring along permethrin spray.
>>
>>722207
i hope you have leg hair so you can feel the sneaky bastards crawling up your legs. i got reallllllll fucking sensitive about that when i lived out in the cut. no shit i would walk 20 feet into my yard and have 15 ticks on my leg. it was insane. got sick from one of those bastards. had a fever of 103
>>
File: 81qhIad1QML._SX522_.jpg (51 KB, 522x478) Image search: [Google]
81qhIad1QML._SX522_.jpg
51 KB, 522x478
Try some of this oil, anons.

Just rub a few drops into your hands and slap that shit on.
>>
>>723208
Wait I take that back. Dilute that shit first.
>>
File: tick%20key[1].jpg (31 KB, 440x440) Image search: [Google]
tick%20key[1].jpg
31 KB, 440x440
>>722207

Bring a tick tool. Even if the tick hasn't been latched on for several hours you can still get it if you accidentally crush its body while removing it.

>>722227

>I get them all the time andI am fine no diseases at all
>they picked right off just grab them and yank

Unless you live in a place with 0 tickborne illnesses you probably have something you just don't know about and should get a test done. The symptoms of Lyme can be very subtle until it gives you permanent damage years after the initial infection.
>>
File: 1408466581960.gif (3 MB, 350x280) Image search: [Google]
1408466581960.gif
3 MB, 350x280
>tfw apparently your blood type tastes like shit
>kindergarten was out in nature
>no ticks rarely any mosquito bites
>dad lives next to a forest for about 10 years
>canoe trips with youth club
>hiking with bording school
>hunting trips with dad
>conscription is 4 months of repeatedly going innawoods

I do not recall having been bit by a tick once in my 26 years and I get maybe one or two mosquito bites every summer.
>>
>>722538
>>722601
i've seriously considered bribing a vet to inject me with the fucking dog vaccine
>>
>>723215
Totally man. Tick tools have saved me from getting the Lyme more times than I care to admit.
>>
>>722538

It used to sell one but stopped due to "unsufficient demand"

http://www.cdc.gov/lyme/prev/vaccine.html
>>
>>722207
I got recurring fever a few years ago from a tick. It was like having a cold, then not, then again a few more times. Like most things, I waited it out rather than sought treatment. That's how the body develops resistances.

>>723020
Garlic is effective on everything that wants to suck your blood. Vampires included.

>>723208
The active ingredients in lemongrass and citronella are the same chemical. Its like they just mixed up a bunch of shit they've heard works, and relabled it at a premium. Any one of those ingredients will work as well individually as they do mixed.

>>724665
Fuck bribing them. Just forge a script for a dog and have it filled at an online pet pharmacy. They'll ask for your vet's fax number. I trust you know how to handle that.
>>
>>724665
The reason they give dogs shit like this is because dogs only have to live 12-18 yrs or so. It doesn't matter if the shit gives them cancer 10 years down the line because they're gonna die anyway.
Have fun with that
>>
>>726610
How would an vaccine give dogs or anyone else cancer?

I have my doubts about the effectiveness of yearly flu vaccines, but vaccinations against serious diseases like polio and tetanus seem to be worth it.
>>
>>722207
>warning tick habitat

So, like all of outside? heh
>>
>>726904
No they have sweet areas for Questing, that's what it is called when a tick sits on the tip of a blade of grass for like 4 years and Waites to bite any living thing with blood.
>>
>>722207
Tee Tree Oil
Soak your self in it
>>
>>726633
Flu is pretty devastating on a population level. Lots of elderly and babies die from it every year, and even worse, the Jews say it costs the GDP billions of sheckles worth of goium slave productivity.

The reason as many people as possible should get the flu shot is actually to lower the likelihood of your dumb ass spreading it to someone else. It's called herd immunity.

Heard something on NPR or BBC about how Africans don't really give a shit about malaria, and are confused as to why Gates spends so much money on it when his own county gets hit just as baddly by the flu and nobody cares.
>>
>>727338

doesn't that stuff make you grow tits?
>>
>>729758
Don't actually soak yourself in it, put maybe 20mls on each leg, that's alot but alot is good
I've been doing it forever and I have no 'tits' nor have I heard that being a thing before so no
>>
>>722207
Permethrin soaked gaiters and trousers.
>>
Wear light coloured pants and tuck your socks into their cuffs. You may look like Lenny pepper bottom, but at least you will be better off
>>
>>729758

kek

One doc said it may cause prepubertal gynecomastia, so if you have a hairy dick then you're fine. And the causative link is still under investigation anyway, so it hasn't been proven yet.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.