[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it legal to hunt beaver in Canada?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 3
File: beaver.jpg (182 KB, 718x721) Image search: [Google]
beaver.jpg
182 KB, 718x721
Is it legal to hunt beaver in Canada?
>>
>>720508
Yes, if you're a heterosexual male or a lesbian.
>>
>>720508
Totally legal to flirt with your mom in Canadia.
>>
>>720513
Har har. Serious question. A friend and I are in disagreement.

I say you can hunt, they say you can't.
>>
File: 617D7EF28.jpg (18 KB, 255x193) Image search: [Google]
617D7EF28.jpg
18 KB, 255x193
>>
>>720508
You need a trapping license or a nuisance tag along with your hunters safety and firearms license. And only during the season.
>>
>>720518
This.
>>
>>720515

You could just google it, but since you are here already, of course you can, beavers are walking money bags, and it's not like you are going to seriously impact their population.

Also you trap beaver, not hunt it.
>>
>>720521
I did google it. Got contradicting answers.

What do you mean by walking moneybags?
>>720518
So they're considered pests?
>>
>>720534
Beaver pelts man.
>>
>>720508
Beavers are the national animal because our country's economy relies on trading of their pelts with the injuns. Not because it's some gay ass endangered bird.
>>
Not only legal but encouraged.
When I lived in vancouver , I spent quite a bit of time on the beaver patrol.
>>
>>720559
Are they that bad, really?

Can you eat them?

>>720536
I know they were important historically, but what's so good and valuable about beaver pelts?
>>
>>720534
Only under certain circumstances such as them flooding your house by damming a nearby river
>>
>>720563
The lighter ones are ok but some are pretty gamey
>>
>>720563
The fur market isn't what it use to be, they aren't worth shit. You can eat them if you remove the castor gland
>>
>>720515
Call your local DNR you dumb cunt.
>>
>>720569
Gameyness if an animal is largely dependant on the skill of the processors
>>
>>720574
You dont say
>>
>>720521
I wonder what hitting a beaver with a 3 inch twelve slug does? hmmm.. help me find a video oh mighty 4chan.
>>
>>720584
I shot a large beaver with a ~400gr bullet out of a .45-70 once. It was pretty much the same result that I got from shooting 100lb+ feral pigs with that gun... a couple of 1/2" holes punched through a dead animal.
>>
File: s-l1000.jpg (96 KB, 1000x749) Image search: [Google]
s-l1000.jpg
96 KB, 1000x749
>>720570
>The fur market isn't what it use to be, they aren't worth shit.
He could make his own beaver felt fedoras and sell them to /out/ists
>>
>>720615
Skinning animals out isn't too bad but fleshing and tanning pelts on a small scale is an incredible pain in the ass. I skinned, fleshed, and tanned 3 deer, 1 pig, 5 raccoons, 2 opossums, 1 coyote, and 1 skunk last year and I'll never do that shit again. Of course I was using the brain/egg tanning method, it might've been easier to just use a chemical solution to tan the furs but still, fuck it.
>>
>>720508
I hunt white-tailed beaver. They can be little bitches some times, but worth it.
>>
>>720645
i want to skin and tan my dog when he dies
should i just freeze him and drop him off at some tanner guy? how much to have a dog skinned and tanned?
>>
>>720645
>>720648
Guide to the cheap florida way skinning and tanning.

Skin
[de-hair if you aren't keeping fur]
Scrape the fat off.

Extract Tannin's from Oak bark/Gulls/Acorns
- Boil water with finely chopped/grinded oak bark finer the better
- Let it simmer [if you can burn yourself, you burn the skin]

Throw your hide in the tannin water and let it sit for 24/48 hours or even longer. I like closing off the containers if possible and keeping them out of the sun light after boiling.
-A skin is done tanning when tannins have penetrated all of it’s fibers. Checking by snipping off a sample from a thick edge is the easiest way to see this process, you should see a color diffrence all the way through.
- For thicker skins such as cow, elk, moose. making too strong of a tea can ‘shock’ the hide, meaning the exterior of the hide tans too fully too fast, blocking tannins from getting to the interior fibers of the skin.

Softening your leather.
First off, this can be accomplished by taking out the hide from your tannin and washing it off well in a steam/creek.
hang it up to let it dry, as soon as it starts looking a little dry start appling the oil.
-some good oils to use are lard, bear grease, seal oil, olive oil any liquid and semi-soild oils work best.
- If your gonna "wear" the skins then the oil only should be applied to the outside [grain side] not the side that would come in conntact with your skin.
-keep it hung some place to dry, you're gonna have to strech and oil it many times so be prepaired.
-More oil applied the more "water proof" it will be.
>>
>>720648
I'd talk to some local taxidermists in your area about that and see how they'd like you to handle/deliver the animal carcass. Whenever I looked into it, it was gonna cost around $40-$50 per raccoon pelt to get them tanned commercially after I skinned them out and sent only the rolled up pelts in.
>>
>>720645
Yeah but if he's just felting the fur he doesn't need to tan the hide, also I think you did not get my joke.
>>
>>720584
>I wonder what hitting a beaver with a 3 inch twelve slug does?
You get a ruined pelt.
>>
>>720674
I was debating trying hunting small game like beavers with archery. Would that ruin a pelt?
>>
>>720508
Canadian beavers all should be tongue lashed. I might have to make this my special purpose.
>>
>>721104
Any hole in a pelt lowers the value, thus why you traditionally trap fur animals.
>>
>>721215
How do you dispatch the animal when using a non-kill trap?
>>
>>720563
I switched all my red meat consumption to beaver meat. Beaver are used to make hats, gloves, choppers, ear muffs, jackets, bed spreads, pillow cases etc. Probably 20 bucks maximum for a put up one right now. Traps are around 20 bucks a piece, then the stake, wire, gas to get to the lodge, board/nails or hoop/rings, beam/knife if you want to flesh them fast or you could just use a rounded knife like a Wiebe or Dexter Russel. Just starting out it will likely take you 2-3 hours to put one up decently, plus the time to go out and trap it. In the end, no money. Sure if you're catching 5 beaver, 3 coon, an otter, a grey fox and a yote a day you're making out decently in fur but that is after investing thousands in traps and equipment to get to the fur. Pray for the market to get better soon.
>>
>>721229
Been trapping beaver and such for almost 7 years and learned from people who make a living trapping fur. Can ama if you want
>>
>>721229
>>721231
I have a friend who's been trapping for the last few years down here in TX and this season he was getting paid 50%-60% less per pelt on average compared to last season. Like $0.25 per pelt for opossum and $5-$6 for a decent raccoon pelt. Absolutely not worth it this season, especially when you consider how short our peak fur window is down here due to the short, mild winters.
>>
>>721236
Texas beavers aren't going to be as high of quality fur as those up north. They also wouldn't be as big. Bigger beaver=bigger pelt and larger castor=more money.
>>
>>721223
Headshots with rimfires, suffocation, drowning, blunt trauma
>>
>>721223
You don't use a non kill trap for beaver.
>>
>>721312
Beavers aren't the only animals that people trap though.. leg holds are used quite often for fox, raccoon, coyote, etc.
>>
>>721316
Except the OP said "the animal" I assumed he was still referring to beavers.
>>
>>721312
Footholds and snares are used on beavers. Snares can kill but not always. I understand what your trying to say that 330s are the most common way, but they aren't the only way. Some people actually trap beavers exclusively for the meat so kill traps aren't the best option for that.
>>
Anybody from Argentina/Europe here? How's trapping there?
>>
>>720563
I can eat beaver all night long.
>>
Not OP, but I've got a question for you trappers in here. When the market is good, how much does a sort of average beaver pelt go for?
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.