[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what's the best thing you've ever cooked/eaten while
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 22
File: outdoor breakfast.jpg (5 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
outdoor breakfast.jpg
5 MB, 3264x2448
what's the best thing you've ever cooked/eaten while /out/?

also please share any relatively simple recipe ideas
>>
deer sandwich
>>
Heart of the elk.
>>
File: grouse.jpg (136 KB, 1632x918) Image search: [Google]
grouse.jpg
136 KB, 1632x918
Most of the time when out I make what I usually eat day to day for a meal; Oats for breaky with some fruit, coffee. For dinners and lunches I do some sort of protein, a carb, and a veg. I cook the same sort of things while out its just a little more difficult. Once you get into dehydrating your own shit you'll never go back to anything else.

Fav meal that I can remember was a pair of ruffed grouse I shot in the fall plucked and slowly cooked in a dutch oven in the coals of a fire with red peppers, zucchini, and rice. Seasoned the birds with salt and pep and threw a few bullion cubes in as it all stewed.

An honorable mention would be trout caught on the fly and cooked over the fire or stuffed and wrapped in tin foil and cooked in the coals.
>>
I prepare before going /out/. Smoked beef fajitas are my favorite.
>>
File: 1211_Appetite_CountryHam[1].jpg (34 KB, 730x487) Image search: [Google]
1211_Appetite_CountryHam[1].jpg
34 KB, 730x487
>>718495

I like to bring some country ham and beaten biscuits. So long as they're stored cool and dry like the ham will last up to a week once it's cut and the biscuits up to a month.

If you bring the whole leg of ham you can use it to fight off the raccoons and other critters that want to take it from you, and in a pinch you can craft something out of the bone or use it in some mighty fine bean soup.
>>
>>718528
Did you buy a dehydrator or did you DIY up your own?
>>
>>718535
This, i usually make chili, nobody wants anything to do with my farts
>>
File: muffin-maker-stove.jpg (213 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
muffin-maker-stove.jpg
213 KB, 1200x800
Someone got me one of these about a year ago.
I scoffed at it but now I do 80% of my camp cooking in it.
Everything from eggs to muffins. Weighs nothing, I think its titanium or something.
>>
My favourite simple meal is probably cheese kransky or some other fatty cured/semi cured meat impaled in a stick and grilled over coals. I usually have this to finish off the lack after chopping up most of them to mix with pesto and pasta.

Peanut satay is also a good one, the sauce is energy dense enough to justify for backpacking and it's a real treat. Cleanup is a bitch though.
>>
Pussy. I ate pussy outside and it was great. Solid 5/7- would eat again.
>>
>>718583
not that guy, but i bought my dehydrator for like $20 brand new at Aldi, in Australia/
>>
>>718701
>$20 dehydrator

is it good enough for stuff like jerky and chicken?
>>
>>718695
Not enough nutrients. Try cum instead.
>>
Moose burger, packed into an orange peel and cooked in the hot coals
>>
>>718495
I roasted a wood duck on a spit for a few hours using some sweetgum wood. Coated it with olive oil and some Greek seasoning.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
One of the guys on our 4 day back packing trip brought jolly ranchers and starbursts. Mother fucker didn't care about the weight. We all brought whiskey/tequila with us. One of the nights we were a lil drunk and wanted chasers we boiled the sweets and it tasted like fucking soda. One of the better back packing trips. We all joked that it probably tasted like shit we were just to drunk to realize it.

Pic related the trip
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 2123x2830) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 2123x2830
I went backpacking with 3 good friends of mine, 2 of them were hardcore survivalist types. They cooked a stew that I have never been able to replicate or imitate. I don't know the exact recipe but it consisted of lentils, brown rice, broccoli, onion, mushrooms, carrots, summer sausage cubed, cheese and some dollar store hot sauce all thrown onto tortillas. They cooked it all over the campfire in a coffee can and it made so much that we just stored the leftovers in a cool little cave on the overhanging cliff that we made our camp under. We ate like kings for three days on that stew. I wish I had their recipe so I could eat that stuff everyday.
>>
>>718816
Why not ask them, dude?
>>
Prob just any game I've killed and cooked.
>>
whitetail inner loin
>>
>>718614

>Everything from eggs to muffins

What's between eggs and muffins? Doesn't sound very useful.
>>
>>718816

Beautiful scenery, but
>putting your legs in the shot

You know who does that? Chicks and homos.

>ruined/10
>>
I cook turkeys in dug-out campfire ovens on a regular basis

stuffing, potatoes, gravy, the works

stays way moister than a real oven and has a slightly smoked flavour

10/10
>>
File: breakfast-sandwich.jpg (58 KB, 610x407) Image search: [Google]
breakfast-sandwich.jpg
58 KB, 610x407
>>718909
ham & cheese if you're doing it right
>>
Catfish I battered and fried outdoors

One of the strangest things though I've seen eaten was my friend who picked up a giant puffball and started munching on it
>>
Best thing I've done from provisions? Same stew I always do, lentils rice and mushrooms.

Best foraged?
Chicken of the woods and duck egg stirfry with wild greens and fried sea kale (the tuber) with sea salt.

Being a vegetarian in the wild feels silly, but I do it anyway.
>>
File: 7_allinthefamily_archiecigar1.jpg (21 KB, 306x320) Image search: [Google]
7_allinthefamily_archiecigar1.jpg
21 KB, 306x320
>>718992
fag
>>
>>718495
anything cooked with massive amounts of cannabis butter
>>
>>719025
>cannabis butter
what does a cannabis tit look like?
>>
Made some kolbulle, a swedish type of thick pancake with bacon/pork belly cooked in a pan over a fire. Pretty great after a long hike to the /out/house
>>
>>718910
>You know who does that?

I do that all the time

I'm a lesbian btw
>>
>>718495
The best thing ive ever eaten while /out/ was probably a quinoa soup that I had in a tiny town in the peruvian Andes, I was exhausted and sitting by the side of the road having that soup staring at the mountains was one of the most pleasant experiences of my life.
>>
>>720128
I never do that

I'm a trans*womyn who hasn't transitioned that identifies as a lesbianbtf
>>
>>719257
>kolbulle
holy shit this stuff looks amazing. do you have a recipe handy

(sure i can and have googled it but personal recommendations are nice)
>>
>>718816
Where is that?
>>
>>718495
OP where did you get the picture from, looks fucking delish. Wanting that recipe.
>>
>>718976
pretty good anon,
pretty
pretty good
>>
>>718976
fuuuck, my stomach just came
>>
File: bowlofvaginas.jpg (50 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
bowlofvaginas.jpg
50 KB, 600x450
>>718495
big bowl of dicks.
>>
>>718816
This post was stolen from the Simpsons.
>>
File: Cool pepe.png (11 KB, 420x420) Image search: [Google]
Cool pepe.png
11 KB, 420x420
>>719050
>>
>>718495
The best thing I've ever eaten was a ham sandwich on a bagel, after two weeks of nothing but trail mix, oatmeal, minute rice, and instant mashed potatoes.

I bring more variety in my meals now if I'm going to be out longer than a couple days.
>>
File: 1457733664499.png (23 KB, 684x830) Image search: [Google]
1457733664499.png
23 KB, 684x830
me and a couple of my friends made robbers roast out of a 5kg piece of lamb, we let it roast underground for over 5hrs, when you ate it it literally meltes in your mouth it was that soft.
>>
>>718495

Italian spicy sausage, cut up into sections with potato chunks and green peppers, cooked in a pan over the fire. Deliberately burnt in some places to make the skin crunchy
>>
File: trangia.png (750 KB, 638x638) Image search: [Google]
trangia.png
750 KB, 638x638
>>718495

wife isn't particularity /out/, but it is growing on her. I've been breaking her into it with stuff like this, heading out to a bit of local park land and cooking out- she love it. Chicken Fajitas go down particularly well, and are piss easy to cook
>>
File: __print 1.jpg (3 MB, 2048x1365) Image search: [Google]
__print 1.jpg
3 MB, 2048x1365
last night i fried some bacon in a cast iron skillet, then threw some beans on top. when it was finished i tore apart some fresh grainy bread (which was some sort of honey bread i think, sounds weird but not sweet as you might expect and delicious), and buried the chunks of bread in the beany bacon mix.

it was pretty amazing
>>
File: Rocket Stove Cooking 1.jpg (3 MB, 3072x4608) Image search: [Google]
Rocket Stove Cooking 1.jpg
3 MB, 3072x4608
Here's breakfast. I even had an egg to drop in it. Note the last image for full LNT when packing up.
>>
File: Rocket Stove Cooking 2.webm (3 MB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Rocket Stove Cooking 2.webm
3 MB, 640x480
>>722657
>>
File: Rocket Stove Cooking 3.webm (3 MB, 800x1200) Image search: [Google]
Rocket Stove Cooking 3.webm
3 MB, 800x1200
>>722658
>>
Freeze Dried Tuna Steaks.

>inb4 triggered (You)s
>>
>>722646
sounds good lad, i'm gonna make that the next time i'm /out/ actually
>>
>>718816
nice lake 7/5
>>
>>722688
Don't be an idiot like me and forget any eating apparatus and have to use your more as a spoon.

Also, I feel like an egg or two would have been a nice addition.

And some chocolate for as soon as I arrived at camp. it took a few hours to find the right spot and i was carrying so much unnecessary shit (i'm training for a trip to norway), by the time i found my site i was obliterated. would have been nice to have a breather and some calories before getting stuck in to setting up and gathering dead standing wood (everything on the ground was shit)
>>
>>722840
>i'm training for a trip to norway

Smart. I like reading that people actually do test runs before longer more difficult trips. I know of a great many people who don't and have a really shitty time. I find packing short and long term release-foods is best. Like dark chocolate/salt packet and dried veggie/jerky.

That's what I'm doing for this device >>722657 before I make a second one. I figure if I put in a month of days where I cook 1 meal with it, I'll work out all the bugs (ease of use/travel, smoke levels, efficiency, wind tolerance, size, weight, setup speed, durability, etc). then I can make the next version of it, test it out and continue until I'm satisfied it will fit every need I have for it.
>>
File: 20150615_073518.jpg (2 MB, 2656x1494) Image search: [Google]
20150615_073518.jpg
2 MB, 2656x1494
>>718495
granted it was tinned beans and sausages ....

but that's a nice little fry up cooked on a jetboil. eggs, sausage, beans, fried onions and yellow peppers
>>
Eye of the tiger
>>
>>723026
How you liking that titanium spork?
>>
>>720504
looks like gordon ramsays north african eggs
>>
File: rp-3.png (246 KB, 580x387) Image search: [Google]
rp-3.png
246 KB, 580x387
Pancake looking kinda like the one in the picture
Steam boiled, filled with all kinds of awesome fruit and some british sidebacon on the side
I would actually kill for it
>>
>>722646
>carrying all that weight just to eat beans

Yuor garden doesn't count as /out/ faggot
>>
>>723388
well if it has bacon in it technically you did kill for it anonymous
>>
>>718495
Dehydrated refried beans mixed with a chicken fried rice knorr rice side on tortillas with taco bell fire sauce. Whole recipe takes ~650-700ml of water and roughly fifteen minutes on an alcohol stove and is really good and has a decent calorie to dry weight ratio.
>>
Dead pig pizza at the lovin oven in the middle of the black hills
>>
>>725166
heh, good point. it did taste good tho. and that little skillet is something i'll be taking with me on future adventures for sure
>>
>>725166
>Yuor garden doesn't count as /out/ faggot

Homegrowmen here, "NO U!"
>>
File: MRE.jpg (5 KB, 216x233) Image search: [Google]
MRE.jpg
5 KB, 216x233
So I got drunk and ordered a case of MREs. Can you remove all the extra shit and save any space? Not concerned about weight, 4 is manageable for a weekend. And how is the taste compared to backpack specific food like MH, BP?
>>
I guess this would be the place to ask. If I'm going to be killing, cleaning and eating my food in the woods, what sort of stuff should I look for to see if the animals aren't safe to eat? Like if they had bad disease or something?
>>
>>725583
Yes, open the packages, and strip down the unnecessary wrapping and such. Will thin it down some. Obviously don't take the wrapping off of the food items, though.
>>
File: flyeggs.png (178 KB, 500x330) Image search: [Google]
flyeggs.png
178 KB, 500x330
>>725595
>>
>>725595
The liver
>>
>>722646
>Canned beans
>>
>>725595
Nothing. If you cook the food properly, you'll not get any diseases from it. Meat is the easy stuff to eat. Eating the offal on the other hand isn't recommended because the level of cooking normally done with that stuff is not enough to kill the parasites/pathogens. Meat on the other hand is easy to fully cook and never get anything from .

Fun fact: the meat from the store has more pathogens and parasites in it than anything you get in the wild.
>>
>>725626
what's wrong with canned beans dude? tough, efficient way to carry food that lasts forever
>>
>>725890
I have nothing against canned food, but canned beans usually taste really bland. Canned pigeon peas taste amazing though.
>>
>wild onions
>wild potatoes
>cattail roots
>boiled stinging nettle (godly amounts of protein)
>wild raspberries for desert

Pan fried the first four in some olive oil that I bought along. It was great.
>>
>>725930
wait, where the jeff do you find wild onions and potatoes?
>>
I got myself a trangia-27. What are some good recipes or what ingredients should I keep in my backpack but aren't too cumbersome for good gourmet trail food? I'm working on a list. So far I got dried shiitake, garlic, various seasonings, sugar, block of cheddar and parmesean, honey or maple syrup(haven't decided which) oatmeal, various instant meals like pancakes, mashed potatoes, risotto and pasta dishes. Any clever ideas or criticism appreciated.
>>
>>725904
ah - are you from the US? generally UK baked beans taste way better than the US equivalents. These were pretty good, and after being heated in the same pan the bacon was cooked in, tasted awesome
>>
>>725967
Northern Kentucky, /k/friend.
>>
File: 45w4gwe.jpg (76 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
45w4gwe.jpg
76 KB, 960x720
since i go mushroom hunting so much i usually cook gourmet ass food while camping.

shitty headlamp photo is shitty. this was taken at porcini camp. wake up at 6am, hunt till dark, cook what you gathered/brought.

Morel alfredo pasta: caramelized onions/garlic, fresh black morels, stick o butter, slab o greek cream cheese, salt and pepper w/ porcini pasta noodles. Pasta served with grilled trout and butter boletes smoked with bundles of rosemary and manzanita.

fun fact: we caught the trout with crickets we collected from a field. i thought that was pretty cool
>>
>>725988
UK cuisine is terrible and known globally for this.
>>
>>728157
You're right, but our baked beans are still the best
>>
>>723221
I had an old plastic one for years and it was great eventually ( after about 7 years of near daily use) it finally broken. LMF I'm pretty certain have since changed whatever plastic they use and everyone I've bought has snapped at the same point, no joke I went though about 6 over last summer they were fragile as fuck. I bought the TI version and so far so good no issues. It's easy to flame anodise too
>>
>>718707
/fit/ pls go
>>
>>718495

OK.

Sesame chili rabbit rice

Take a pan, medium sauce pan will do.

You need

1 cup of rice
1 1/2 cups of water
Rabbit (I quarter it at least but I suggest chopping it good.)
Pre mixed and ready sauce composed of : three spoons sesame oil, two spoons soy sauce, one spoon chili oil.
Teaspoon of salt.
Foil or a lid for the pan

Throw rabbit in pan with sauce and stir fry, once done throw in water and bring it to a boil, once boiling throw in rice and stir, cover with foil or lid and remove from direct heat so it simmers for 20 minutes.

Alternatively, just bring the rice and pan and season and mix with what you find out there. Made that with fish too.
>>
Spam
>>
>>718495
It's kind of hard to measure the "best" because after a day long march a can of beans might feel like the tastiest meal of all time
>>
File: 195jpog9kiv5qjpg.jpg (29 KB, 553x484) Image search: [Google]
195jpog9kiv5qjpg.jpg
29 KB, 553x484
>>722657
>>722658
>>722659
F-F-FAKE
>>
>>718495
>out with friends...
>Planned on doing a lot of fishing, but found out there was no fish in the lake.
>Fuck it
>Go to shop
>buy shitloads of food, snacks and booze
>Smoke weed
>Put a little oil in a pot with chopped onions
>Shitload of Veal sliced thin
>in goes a pack of bacon
>mushrooms
>Fry it all up good
>Red wine into the pot
>Let it reduce
>Top of with a ton of cream
>Mashed potatoes from the fire
>smoke more weed
>>
>>722646
why enameled cast iron? why not just use regular?
>>
>>728559
So you don't have to worry about every single surface of the pan rusting.
Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 22

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.