[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Knife General 16
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 91
File: 01.jpg (97 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
01.jpg
97 KB, 1024x576
Alright the last knife general thread stopped bumping.

Post your knives and knife questions here!
>>
Does anyone still own Kershaw Leeks? That used to be a really popular knife 10 years ago but I never hear anyone mention them anymore.
>>
When you guys go /out/ for more than a weekend or so, do you bring a sharpening stone?
>>
>>715118
think theyre still pretty popular. its just that most people prefer fixed blades when /out/, and for good reasons.
>>
File: 21Jp1TsgfPL._SY400_.jpg (7 KB, 500x102) Image search: [Google]
21Jp1TsgfPL._SY400_.jpg
7 KB, 500x102
Any thoughts on this s&w bullseye search and rescue? Its basically a ka-bar
>>
File: image.jpg (13 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
13 KB, 300x300
>>715118
That shit is old news. They don't have the same meme cred as Spydercos and Benchmades.
>>
File: dc3.jpg (28 KB, 504x405) Image search: [Google]
dc3.jpg
28 KB, 504x405
>>715120

Yeah, a small one.
>>
File: IMG_2505.jpg (3 MB, 4608x3456) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2505.jpg
3 MB, 4608x3456
>>
>>715120
no i use kidney stones to maintain my blade
>>
>>715171
why not go with DC4, it's still tiny.
Good stuff either way.
>>
>>715113
Is pic related yours?
CpM390
>>
>>715222

Either one. I don't really have a preference and take whichever one I haven't temporarily lost. :)
>>
I've tried to like Cold Steel for a very long time but couldn't choke down the thought of owning a low quality, under-preforming, "meme mall ninja" knife. Then I saw two videos ( links related ) where a YouTuber was testing out a super expensive milspec blade ( currently under contract with the SEALs ) and the tip broke off yet a much cheaper Recon 1 knife from Cold Steel did the job well. It made me wonder: Are these knives really as bad as people say?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NSMs3bZcb0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLZD7aaxDfc

What does /out/ think? Obviously these are not bushcraft knives but in a survival situation do you think you could trust the Cold Steel knife if it were offered to you?
>>
>>715247

Is that US dollars? Those prices are awful.
>>
>>715254
Yes, U.S. Dollars. The knife that broke in the video(s) was almost $300 U.S.
>>
>>715152
There are better options, the Ontario sp1 or 498 are actually milspec and not expensive, the sp2 and 499 are also good if you want a shorter blade

Condor and Schrade also make good budget knives
>>
>>715262
It is worth noting those prices are from Cold Steel's own website. You can get them much cheaper from Walmart, Amazon, etc.
>>
>>715247

Military contract means jack shit.

The brand probably paid the SEALs for the sponsorship.

"issue knife" is just the shit they give you. Then most soldiers change it.

Of all the branches of any military the one that would get the best 10/10 gear they can find would be the Special Forces, so dont doubt for a second not a single SEAL carries that shit.
>>
>>715228
Sadly no. I've been waiting forever for Bento Box to get another sprint run of the M390 in blue G10. (I know I could get it used, but I don't care enough to pay the jacked up prices).
>>
>>715120
I don't. My knife may dull somewhat, but not enough to make it worth me carrying any extra weight.

But I don't spend all day making feather sticks or batoning like some folks.
>>
>>715321
they should be getting some in soon, emailed with someone from customer service, price will probably be around $200 if not more based on what they told me
>>
>>715357
I won't get my hopes up, they've been saying they'll get more in for years. It's not really their fault, the PM2 is a popular model and Spyderco rarely gets around to shutting down their regular production long enough to do these sprint runs because they can't even keep up with regular demand.

Yeah the price will be too high, Bento Box's prices are some of the highest usually. But I love M390 and I love that blue color. I'll probably buy it anyway.
>>
Ask a guy who just bough a bitchmade mini griptilian anything
>>
>>715368
i just got a blurple pm 2 from them and overplayed but that sv110 , theyre advertising the m390 on there website and customer service rep told me the will be getting it hopefully sometime soon,
>>
>>715372
what blade config? how do you like it so far
>>
>>715118

The fuck you on about? They're consistently rated among the top EDC knives in the sub $100 range.
>>
>>715381

Drop point non serrated satin finish. So far so good, it's lighter than I expected.
>>
>>715389
super light i have a sheepsfoot one and love the 154 cm
>>
>>715390

How does 154cm compare to VG 10 or other supersteel?
>>
>>715391
supposedly vg10 and 154cm are almost identical in use from what ive read, ( no hands on experience with vg10) though ive also read a but about vg10 getting chips and microchips
>>
>>715118
I had one which I've since lost and I miss it dearly.
>>
I see benchmade makes Heckler and Koch knives. Are any HK blades any good?
>>
>>715400
Leeks are great little slim knives that work fantastic for EDC. My only complaint is the dorky looking clips that Ken Onion puts on all his knives.
>>
File: spydercohole.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1162) Image search: [Google]
spydercohole.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1162
>>715113

Who /spideyhole/ here?
>>
>>715583
I spy two imposters. Nice collection though!
>>
File: images (30).jpg (25 KB, 312x471) Image search: [Google]
images (30).jpg
25 KB, 312x471
>>715588
Anyone hyped for this?
>>
>>715583
Is that a dragonfly or a ladybug in the middle, either way it's pretty cute in that lineup? And yes I like thumb hole for function, took me a long time to get past the looks though.
>>
>>715247
Under current contract with the SEALS may just mean that they have a contract with the Navy to provide a couple of knives for evaluation.
>>
>>715607

>TOPS

>Hype

>Shit handle contour

No.

Also I swear I've seen that knife before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYJ_kNaOAzY

TOPS is known to be one of those dishonest brands that plagiarise other brand's and makers designs and sell them as their own without uttering a word.

To TOP that, it's overpriced being 1095.
>>
>>715696
actually, i think it was a colaboration with the designer.
>>
>>715696
How much does it cost?
>>
i jast go out side frome my house all the street fuking bern halpppppp iam alone in my phone
>>
>>715696

>tops is known as one of those brands that plagiarise other brands and makers designs

Sauce? Tops is pretty well known for collaborations with respected knife designers and up and coming designers
>>
>>715611

Ladybug.
>>
Has anyone dealt with Medford Knife and Tool? Aside from the obvious tacticool overpriced commentary, I think their website does a good job of making them seem like a bunch of assholes. So I'm curious if they are.
>>
>>715577
I didn't mind the clip, but I upgraded from a Gerber Paraframe, so it's not to be an improvement
>>
>>716040

They are. Dont bother.
>>
File: sl5eSok.jpg (579 KB, 2448x1836) Image search: [Google]
sl5eSok.jpg
579 KB, 2448x1836
>>716087

Thanks. I was curious about their knives, but the site makes me want to fedex them a box of poo with an RMA# written in large brown letters with a printed copy of a workorder enclosed so they can process the poop while it's still soft. I'll avoid pimping the poo with corn or nuts to avoid additional fees.
>>
>>716040
>>716087
That bad?

Do they at least make a decent product?
>>
>>716040
>buying a tacticool knife with payments
Might as well stay up all night and get that sweet flex pay on the authentic sword with "A DRAGON ON THE BLADE!!!".
>>
>>715118
It was the first assisted blade I ever owned, I bought it probably 10 years or more ago from a wal mart(thought i got some illegal switchblade cuz NY sucks) Loved it and lost it, but I never went back to Case or Buck knives ever again.
>>
>>715195
Nice! Little big for my taste though.

>>715391
154cm performs nearly identically to 440c - It'seems almost exactly the same it's just marginally harder so it'll take a slightly nicer edge. But then it also rusts more easily because of that. And it's the US version, I know that makes all difference to some people.
>>
>>715273
no. you can get the older aus-8a versions for cheaper not the new ones.
not by much at least.
>>
>>715282
i heard from an sf instructor they get a lot of meme shit for testing playing with or as gifts for their relatives too.
all the gerber shit for example.
>>
>>716374
>154cm performs nearly identically to 440c
that is very not what most people has to say about it.
generally 154cm is considered superior to 440c

i have a 154cm blade and it's pretty awesome. frankly it still has the factory edge for years it held up with daily use i only recently thought first about sharpening it. it starts to not shave very well.
>>
>>716247

They dont.

Their designs are shit. They make "knives" like they could make anything else that looks high end.

A polished golden turd is still shit, and knife-wise I dont know a single person that has had or even used a Medford. Much less any military guy.

Medford is the perfect example of knife brand that sells useless shit at high end prices.

>>716230

It's not mere chance that they sound like they're assholes. Many truly high end and expensive brands do offer quality, and are very, very nice and dont have all those shit exceptions that void the warranty.

For example Survive! , Winkler and Busse are all expensive as fuck but are all very well loved by the community because they're genuinely humble and nice.

With any of those, even if you fuck up your knife on purpose they're probably going to replace it anyways. Busse offered to replace certain plastic knife if it was lost or fucked up saving a life, no questions asked.

Medford, Mantis, etc... are the cancer of the knife market.
>>
Been using my Gerber Paraframe for about 10 years now. Tip has been snapped and grinded back into a point quite a few times (fireman so I use it a lot, especially things it shouldn't be used for). Will probably send it in to Gerber to get a replacement blade soon but it's such an underrated knife.
>>
>>716551
>my knife breaks all the fuckin time because i use it for hard use
>it's so great
you don't see any problems here do you?
buy a real knife, know the difference. you'll never go back to that shit.
>>
>>716518
i got a fake one from china, can confirm design is useless and way too huge for anything. shit is like a framelock pocket hatchet.
>>
>>716557

10 years of everyday use from a $20 knife. The average /out/ guy goes camping once a year and have a thousand dollars worth of shit they will never use. Knives aren't meant to pop windows and doors, so yeah, I break the tip.
>>
>>716567
>average /out/ guy
what was the sample size used in your survey? when was it performed?
>spouting bullshit in defense of bullshit
>>
>>716567

>Knives aren't meant to pop windows and doors, so yeah, I break the tip.

Yes they are, good ones are.

Your piece of shit knife is not good just because you had it for a long time.
>>
File: bm_916org_1.jpg (18 KB, 800x232) Image search: [Google]
bm_916org_1.jpg
18 KB, 800x232
>>716551
Go for a benchmade triage 916. You won't break that tip.

It can be serrated if you want.
>>
>>716593
is that for british market?
>>
>>716567
Average /out/ guy? Who the duck do you speak for? Your stupid fireman ass think you're superior because you bought a shot knife that you've continuously broken for 10 years without ever pausing to think maybe you should buy something with actual quality? But no, just defend your shit choice because you do so much more than the average /out/ guys.
Fucking faggot
>>
>>716613
If you mean legal in Britan, then i would assume yes.

It has 3.5 inch blade however. If you are a firefighter I'd assume that is a good enough reason.
>>
>>716567
>average /out/ guy
you really thought that post would fly?
fuck you are stupid. as if it wasn't plain enough already.
>>
>>716551
>work as fireman
>use inadequate tools in emergency situations.
>wants a replacement blade for a $20 knife.
>>
>>715118
I own one
>>
>>715118
i had a rainbow leek, it was dope. loved everything about it, ended up selling it for market value to some lesbian in a bar.
>>
>>716517

I don't rate what most people say.

I don't mean it to sound disparaging. 440c is actually pretty good. It's like any steel, it's only as good as it's heat treatment.

If you look into the composition of the two they are very similar. I wouldn't call it superior, it can take a slightly finer edge but then 440c won't rust as quickly as 154cm, it's a toss up between the two.

Fun fact, all of your fancy folders and shit a few years ago all used to be 440c. 154cm overtook it because of the "made in america" thing. It amazes me that companies like Benchmade and Emerson continue to charge what they do for a 154cm folder when if they were made of 440c they wouldn't be able to sell the darn things.

Funny old world.
>>
>>716677
I thought the 440s (a,b and c) were American steels
>>
>>716677
REAL 440 c is pretty decent
Most cheap chinashit knives are marked 440 and alot of people assume its 440 c when alot of the time it was actually 440 a
Even some knives marked 440c aren't true 440 c (speaking of chinashit of course)
That being said I do prefer 154cm even over real 440c
>>
>>716618
Calm down, you frothing little baby.

LOL. Jesus Christ. Getting this mad over some fireman who doesn't mind re-grinding the tip of his 20 dollar knife.
>>
>>716512
Wtf? Did you even look before you said that?

Cold steel SRK 3v RRP - $255
Major website Actual retail - $143
>>
>>716702
Yeap, anything coming out of china is an 8cr type equivalent labelled as 440c.
>>
Would you rather buy a 1980s Buck 110 in VGC for about 1/2 the price of a new Buck 110?
>>
File: have-you-seen-these-doubles.png (576 KB, 600x476) Image search: [Google]
have-you-seen-these-doubles.png
576 KB, 600x476
Would some anons be nice enough to recommend to me their five favorite knives and their intended use ( camp knife, EDC, survival, ETC ) to me?

Pic unrelated
>>
>>716761
fag
>>
>>717068
>camp knife
zt shifter, formerly bk17

>EDC
kizer, zt0560blk

>survival
zt shifter, bk16

>etc
bk3, sanrenmu sebenza, bk11, ka bar skinner
>>
>>716551
>>716567
>Average firefighter detected
>>
>>717098
>fag
Are you still mad about the fireman, or are you lashing out because you realized how cringey you were acting? I can't tell.
>>
>>717113
nah brah, you're just gay as fuck
deal with it
>>
>>717050

Anyone?
>>
Buying a gift knife for someone. He only has a cheap bowie and a couple flip knives. I want to get a sturdy low maintenance hunting/camping knife. What's the best limited at 200 dollars? I liked the esee 6 and lt wrights bushcraft knife so far but are there any others i haven't considered?
>>
Condor Bushcraft 5"

$40 or so there

I'd then throw in a USMC KA-BAR (traditional one), because hell, everyone needs one.

Should come under 200 easy.
>>
>>717196
Knives are kinda specialty to the person.

I personally wouldn't want someone blindly buying me a knife. because maybe a knife I already have can be used for the task the knife you bought me was meant too, and i'd rather use the one I already had.. that being said.

fillet knives are good, and not too expensive for a quality brand one [like 30-40 bucks]

Clever, I'm more particular on having a heavy weight one, so I normally just troll for vintage ones that are in good condition [100ish bux]

Ulu kinda a specialty item. amazing at skinning, really easy to clean, no chance of animal juices getting between the scales and main body of the knife. also a fantastic way to process greenery and veggies alike. these, im not sure how much they'd cost, pretty much a custom only item. I made mine out of a HSS circular saw blade, and lots of time with a grinder.

if he's into carving, get him a carving knife, the old "use a pocket knife" as a carving knife, yeah that's all great until you've been at it for an hour and your hand starts to cramp because the handle is just way too small, or its shape is too round and rolls in your hand so you have to grip even harder. They are pretty cheap, so you could get a carving knife, and a crook knife combo this way. Just look on ebay.
>>
>>715113
>498
just took my Cold Steel Canadian Belt Knife fishing a few days ago. fresh out the box that thing worked really well. caught 4 smelt and a striper. the knife cut through bone for the kill really well. perfect for gutting and cleaning. as far as functionality goes it worked wonders. used it to chop onions and garlic with later on when i cooked all the fished.

not sure why cold steel gets such a bad wrap. it seemed very durable to me.

used my opinel carbon no9 recently for oysters. was just cracking them off the bbq and cutting them off. that thing is also razor sharp and has been perfect for mushroom hunting and cleaning.
>>
>>717231
>not sure why cold steel gets such a bad wrap

Their own fault for advertising like they do and some of their offerings are just...
I love my CS though and I'll be getting another at some point, their range has some really good knives in it.
>>
>>717068
Camp knife- Stromeng Leuku 8"
EDC- Case Medium Stockman
Survival- Probably ESEE 6
General beater and archery knife- KaBar USMC
Bushcraft knife- Enzo Trapper in o1
>>
>>716960
i was talking about those prices and knives on the pic in particular. i noticed they are the newer steel ones and that's their price last time i checked, what you can get much cheaper is the older versions.

might be exceptions but usually it is the rule of thumb.

http://www.coldsteel.com/Product/38CKJ1/SRK_-_Survival_Rescue_Knife.aspx
$149 see?
>>
>>717426
There are at least 3 current SRK's though, in order of price
VG-1
VG-1 Sanmai
3V

And the two out of production
Aus-8
Carbon V

The VG-1 retails for around $90, so that's $60 off rrp
>>
>>717442
even if the same steel production year matters a lot. most manufacturers are constantly improving their products in small ways.
>>
>>716627
don't talk about stuff you don't know about. UK unjustified carry law: sub 3'' no lock, so the knife wouldn't be legal unless you could justify carrying it.

>>716593
>You won't break that tip

Yeah because it doesn't have one..
>>
>>717195
Got a pic?
>>
File: Buck 110.jpg (59 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
Buck 110.jpg
59 KB, 1280x960
>>717602

It'd be a working folder, so I don't care about blemishes and such.

1/2 the price is appealing to me.
>>
>>715113
I just got a really nice tax return and am looking for an outdoor fixed blade cause I went cheap last time and bought a gerber that broke
I've got a hatchet and hand saw and am looking for a good quality knife. Price is up to $200 cause I'm not cheaping out again on something that makes my life easier when /out/
What makes a good survival knife? I hear people talk about all these metals and different grinds but I don't really know what that means

Also wondering; I grabbed a spyderco sharp maker and it works great for the edge on my s30v knife but I tried making a bevel on one and it seems the medium grit didn't really do anything. Should I grab the coarse stone? Is the bevel really needed? The medium fine and extra fine works great but the knife in question already had a 20* edge so it wasn't reprofiling just keeping the edge. Any tips and tricks for it? Still learning how to use it but it works well enough. Also what's and good strop? My friend has one and I couldn't believe how sharp my knife was after using it!
Thanks in advance!
>>
Anyone here flip balisongs?

I have an old spyderco spyderfly that I am learning to flip with. The problem is the styling/finger grooves on the handles make it hard to roll around the fingers. Anyway, I'm looking for another balisong to flip around $100, I can't justify +$230 for a benchmade until I get a lot better. Have any affordable suggestions?
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2448x3264
>>717637
I just got this and I've also a good ol Victorinox Multi-Tool, I normally go /out/ once/twice a month and my multi-tool normally does most of the job for me for cutting ropes and pretty much everything that doesnt need a hatchet, I got the balisong because It's flashy, entertaining, scares/awes normies [spoiler] i'm one [/spoiler] and the fact that it has the strongest grip theoretically and the serrated bit also comes in handy

I got mine at $11 and the pivot pins fell out on one side, I screwed them down and now I'm not having any problems at all, but you should keep the one you have and why buy a $230 knife that is just for the show?
>>
>>717653
neat. make/model?

I'm gonna keep the spyderfly. There was a recall on them because some part was not supposed to be imported, so they are worth a bit more now. I have a $30 Bear and it's a bit heavy to flip and the riveted pivots are junk, but it cuts ok.
>>
>>717637
bear and sons
>>
File: image.jpg (797 KB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
797 KB, 3264x2448
>>717670
>>717670
I dont think its sold in the US
Honestly, It's a beat down taiwanese model/brand but once I get home I'm sharpening it to be actually useful while /out/, but again, Balisongs are really just flashy and for the lulz, altough I might use it more than the Multi-Tool because I can cut rope faster with it, and that's most of the things I need cut when I'm /out/ but I'm not talking about heavy/climbing rope, I mean paracord and such
>>
>>717653
>>717686
Neat knife; sadly they are not legal in Wisconsin or I'd own one. Not sure why they are illegal but they are. If I really felt like getting my hands on one I could order through Benchmade.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>717896
Haha thx, It's srly low quality, pivot pins already have popped out 2 times in just today, I hope they dont no more, and well, I live in Mexico, the blade's 3'5 inch so it's still legal here, illegal is over 4' but if you open carry it like some of the /k/fags you most prob get detained even though it's legal

I really hope you get to get one, they are cool, and most prob is that they're banned due its flashy and honestly, intimidating nature
>>
>>717904
>inb4 tiles
It's not my house
>>
>>717904
4 inch knives are legal here. The reason the knife would be banned here is simply because it is a Balisong. Our laws are so vague :(
>>
>>717922
Sucks a lot amigo, if you really want one you could always try finding "a way", it isnt that hard ;)

Hell, even here in Mexico, where guns are banned and only small calibers are permitted, you can find a 9mm and not even by shady means, but its origin may be shady tho so if I were to get a gun I wouldnt get a 9mm anyways, maybe a 22lr revolver since ALSO, I believe semiauto is also banned, again, vague laws, but the cops here, make no mistake, they are no sicario-tier crooks, most of them are legit and operator
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (148 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
148 KB, 1280x720
Hey guys, I'm a new prepper/new to knives ( been lurking for a while ) and plan to pick up a pack of cheap Morakniv to start practicing bushcraft/throwing with. I was wondering about buying some good long-term knives however and decided asking for opinions/advice was a good idea. My outdoor ( bugout/INCH budget ) is about 2k American dollars and I only want to spend up to 1/4th of that on knives. Ideally I'd like to get my hands on two knives: one 3 inches or under ( for everyday outings; something I can rely upon for a good sum of tasks if I have to flee into the woods without most of my gear ( not opposed to a multi-tool ) and one five inches or over for more serious bushcraft or outdoor tasks. Ideally I'd like them to be made of a stainless steel ( too much to worry about in my area with carbon metals ) and be full-tang although I'm okay with the smaller blade being a folder or a multi-tool.

I'd appreciate pictures of recommendations.

Hoping you guys can help me out! Thanks in advance, feel free to ask me any questions regarding this if you think it might help.
>>
>>718388
If you want to throw knives, buy throwing knives.

I would personally wait on buying expensive outdoor knives until you've gotten your moras and taken them out and you see what you like about them, what you don't like. What you actually use your knives for.
>>
File: image.jpg (35 KB, 397x371) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
35 KB, 397x371
>>718388
Well, I was a scout in my teens and still in my young adulthood here in Mexico, and I'd strongly reccomend you a Victorinox Multi-Tool, or even a folder like the RescueTool, because it's very good and mostly all you'll ever need and stuff that's better to have and not need than not having it and needing it

As for a bigger blade, I'd think of a Machete or a Hatchet, but still, 500USD is too much amigo, like a saying in Spanish we have,
>a good cock in any henhouse sings
>un buen gallo en cualquier gallinero canta
It's not about having the most expensive stuff, It's about how you use it/you're good with it
>>
Here some pics of the new Sage 5 with a compression lock, coming out this summer probably.

Man, I can't wait for this knife.
>>
>>
>>
>>718411
>>718414
>>718417
Is this an automatic knife?
>>
File: P_20160321_220812.jpg (2 MB, 4096x2304) Image search: [Google]
P_20160321_220812.jpg
2 MB, 4096x2304
>>715113

Did I do well? Big bowie I know is mostly useless. But deters muggers and would be robbers when you pull out your +5 dagger used by Bilbo and Frodo in LOTR. Think it was named Sting.
>>
File: IMG_1532.jpg (4 MB, 4500x3000) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1532.jpg
4 MB, 4500x3000
First time at /out/ because I'm looking for a new EDC knife. Man oh man, you guys seem to like expensive stuff. I assume it must be durable/high quality to be expensive but is there anything you would recommend for around $50,-?
>>
>>718436
I dont know about these fancy acronyms, care to explain so I can help you?
>>
>>718423
A little thick-bladed for my tastes, but I love the bowie shape.
>>
>>718419
No, it's not, but it's very smooth so it opens and closes very quickly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hsr69et4r1Y

Here's a video that shows it in action. Not the same knife, but it has the same compression lock that the Sage 5 will have.
>>
>>718436
For EDC (every day carry), I personally wouldn't go too large.

In that price range, your best options are the Spyderco Delica (my personal favorite, a little goofy looking to some people, but just an incredible slicer with great ergonomics), the Kershaw Leek (a flipper knife that's slim and fun), and the Kershaw Skyline (the biggest of the three choices here, robust and comfortable and also a good flipper).
>>
>>718411

Hopefully they'll manufacture more than they did with the Sage 4.
>>
>>718457
They will. The reason they discontinued the Sage 4 is because it didn't sell well. It was expensive and heavy and a lockback, and basically only people who love lockbacks would buy it over another Sage, or people who are serious knife collectors and want to own every Sage put out.

The Sage 5 is going to be a MASSIVE seller, I predict. It's basically the perfect EDC knife. The Sage 1 was already awesome, but now it has a compression lock, so it's even better.
>>
>>718456
Thanks. I'll look into it.
>>
>>718436
ontario rat 2 ( or one) i perfer the 2, best knife you an get for $20 , its in my edc rotation a $90 knife, a $120 knife, an
>>
>>718466
Looks like a good knife. Prices in Euro's are crazy though compared to U.S..
>>
File: s-l1600 (4).jpg (301 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600 (4).jpg
301 KB, 1600x1200
Here's mine, been trying to sell it for a while but everyone wants to honeydick me.
>>
>>718525
The market determines prices, not your hopes and dreams
>>
>>718525
il give you $110
>>
File: 1457790194481.gif (1 MB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1457790194481.gif
1 MB, 200x200
>>718558
>>
>>718525
Not a fan of the Manix, but that G10 is fucking tits on a log.
>>
>>718806
Is that good or bad?
>>
>>718885
Do you not like titty-fucking trees?
>>
>>717610
>>717050
Yes get that
>>
File: First-Edge-Products.png (114 KB, 1083x407) Image search: [Google]
First-Edge-Products.png
114 KB, 1083x407
Hey guys,

Was thinking of buying the 1250 TrackLock folder ( knife specs below ) from First Edge along with either the Field Knife or Survival Knife ( I couldn't decide which, not sure if I'm going to buy from them now ) when I came across a review ( see below ) where a YouTuber, known as Budget Bugout, a trained veteran, broke the tip off. I'm wondering if you guys feel it was a freak thing, abuse/misuse or if the knives are really that bad.

Knife specs:
1250 Folder: https://www.firstedgeusa.com/product/1250-tracklock-folding-knife/

5150 Field knife: https://www.firstedgeusa.com/product/5150-fixed-blade-field-knife/

5050 Survival knife: https://www.firstedgeusa.com/product/5050-fixed-blade-survival-knife/

Review:
pt. 1 = https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NSMs3bZcb0

pt. 2 = https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLZD7aaxDfc
>>
>>715736
too much
>>
Noob here. Looking for a fixed knife that will last me at least a decade of heavy use that costs about 100 dollars.

I really like the look of the morakniv garberg but i have no idea how good it is.
>>
>>719043
Can't really go wrong with a mora desu.. you should check out the torture test on a cheap morakniv
>>
>>719043
>>719046
https://youtu.be/D7aCTr61MMs
>>
>>719046
>>719048
I would buy a cheap morakniv but would it be worth it to be the new morakniv garberg for 100 dollars?

I mean if that thing is going to last me 20 years instead of 3 its totally worth it. I really like the full tang feature.
>>
File: 36CC1.2.jpg (190 KB, 800x799) Image search: [Google]
36CC1.2.jpg
190 KB, 800x799
>>719043
>>
>>719065
Carbon steel seems like a bad idea if i want a knife that will last me for decades.
It will get wet and i dont want it to be rusty.
>>
>>719069
How did people survive before the advent of stainless steel anon? Non stainless knives disappearing before ones eyes is a meme, if you abuse one you can fuck it yes, if you use it hard it won't rust - when was the last time you saw a pin punch or cold chisel rust away?
>>
>>719077
But why would i get carbon steel if i can get stainless steel and not worry about rust at all? What does carbon steel offer that stainless steel doesnt?
>>
>>719079
To be clear that's not carbon steel, it's tool steel and what that particular steel offers is edge holding comparable with good stainless steels like VG-10 and 154cm but with toughness closer to 5160 or INFI.

Plain carbon steels offer a blend of toughness and ease of edge maintenance, their edges tend to roll rather than chip at most hardnesses and the higher your carbon content generally the more you trade toughness for edge holding ability, although 1095 is still tougher than most, (maybe all?) stainless steels at it's commonly sold hardness ~58hrc

Stainless steels are great but it sounded like you were asking for a beater knife which isn't their forte, generally speaking.
>>
>>718996
all that aside it's a recurve tanto of all things. for that price why don't you just go custom?
>>
>>719083
Im just looking for a knife that will stay reasonably sharp and will last me decades. Im not looking for the sharpest knife in the world, just a knife that gets the job done. Just an all round knife for gutting fish, skinning small game and cutting wood and cord
>>
>>719088
i bought a zt0160 and it is pretty damn good for the price
>>
>>719087
Is it possible to go custom at that price? I don't know of anybody who does custom for a low price but if you have any recommendations I'm all ears.
>>
File: for web.jpg (275 KB, 1000x465) Image search: [Google]
for web.jpg
275 KB, 1000x465
>>719088
What about a Pukko? 12c27 as a lot of the Scandi's use is a great low maintenance tough stainless, you trade edge holding for resistance to chipping when compared to things like s30v
>>
File: image.jpg (116 KB, 1222x498) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
116 KB, 1222x498
My old bucket forge isn't cutting it, so I'm going to try to build a new one specifically for knifemaking. My buddy is going to weld it for me, and I'm going to line the inside of it with that high-heat insulation stuff. Can't remember the name.

I threw this together in paint, any feedback on it? Just trying to make something effective on a budget. I figure I can get all this in scrap for $50 or less. No need to do anything fancy, but if anyone has any suggestions, let me know.
>>
>>719095
I have no idea, what model do you recommend?
>>
File: helle godbit filofiel.jpg (39 KB, 612x480) Image search: [Google]
helle godbit filofiel.jpg
39 KB, 612x480
>>719099
There's loads of Pukko manufacturers, really it would come down to how much you want to spend and holding some for feel.

Pic is a Helle Godbit ~$90
Then there's it's cheaper sibling the Speider at around $45
Or if you don't mind not having a guard then that one I posted above was a Kellam Falcon for about $60

Then ofc there are the Mora options if you don't mind plastic handles.

Might be worth looking at some of the Bucks too, they have a lot of variation in design, 420hc is a half decent cheap stainless.
>>
>>719100
I guess ill get the mora garberg anyway then
>>
File: DSC_0459_internet.jpg (131 KB, 1522x1518) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0459_internet.jpg
131 KB, 1522x1518
>>719106
I'm sure it'll serve you well, it's just a bit hard to stomach the rrp from a company everyone's used to being bargain basement. Hopefully they hit the shelves a fair bit better than rrp.
>>
>>719091

You can get nice custom fixed blades in that price range. Less so with custom folders.
>>
File: kershaw.jpg (5 MB, 4160x3120) Image search: [Google]
kershaw.jpg
5 MB, 4160x3120
>>
>>719135
Where from?
>>
I went through the archive but still lost on knife sharpening, can someone just link me something to buy and an instructional video of how to use it? Like a good stone system or something i dont know.
>>
>>719091
go secondhand. look for trades on line and cheap shit from collectors.
>>
>>719171
https://www.amazon.ca/Lansky-LKCLX-Deluxe-Sharpening-Kit/dp/B000B8IEA4

The lansky system is easy to use, pretty much dummy proof.

You might not need the deluxe one. It just comes with an extra stone (i think the serrated sharpener)
>>
>>719171
Sorry for two posts, this is the basic lansky.

http://lansky.com/index.php/products/std-3-stone-system/

Linked to the actual site so you can read on it. Check a YouTube vid if you wan too. You can only sharpen to 4 set angles, so this may not be exactly what you want
>>
File: PffffftgunIhaveamorafaggot.jpg (66 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
PffffftgunIhaveamorafaggot.jpg
66 KB, 720x540
>>718423

Still best knife in thread in my opinion!
>>
>>719097
Looks cool, post some pics in the knife thread when you make it.
>>
>>719151
how do you like it?
>>
File: Rats.jpg (2 MB, 2340x4160) Image search: [Google]
Rats.jpg
2 MB, 2340x4160
Ontario RAT 1

One for using, another for when i eventually break/lose the user.
>>
>>719287
pretty sure one on the right is a knickoff, dont think the ever made that color
>>
>>719307
Just looked around. Knifeworks had a grey exclusive colour for the handles. I bought it used, so i can't say for sure that's where its from.

It did come in an Ontario box, however. And it looks/feels exactly like the black handled one (which i bought new)
>>
Which makes objectively better knives: Benchmade or Spyderco?
>>
>>719307
Yeah they've made them in a large range of colours.

>>719428
In which metric? Horses for courses.
>>
File: bushcraft_knife.jpg (314 KB, 1302x821) Image search: [Google]
bushcraft_knife.jpg
314 KB, 1302x821
I got this traditional style compressed gas injection system bushcraft knife today.

What should I blow up with it that's outdoors related?
>>
>>719435
Find a stray cat
>>
>>719438
That's fucked up
>>
File: coconutface.jpg (68 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
coconutface.jpg
68 KB, 800x600
>>719438

Oh my. I was thinking maybe a coconut, but ok.
>>
File: image.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
>>719444
>>719447
C'mon, you know that would be awesome.

I would personally wait for the next snakehead
>>
Hey guys, what do you think about Ka-bar knives. I'm thinking about buying one, but I'm not sure. What are your thoughts
>>
>>719453
Their gud
>>
File: shark.jpg (624 KB, 3508x2492) Image search: [Google]
shark.jpg
624 KB, 3508x2492
>>719453

They're OK. The assortment is large, you might want to specify what you're looking at further.

>>719452

I wouldn't explode a cat to be honest. I understand they're something of a topic on /out/ and /an/.

I would probably do the snakehead since you're dispatching them anyway. In the head just like that. (Can you make any use of them, like eating them?)
>>
>>719468
Yeah, they are supposed to be good to eat. But I wouldn't eat anything from these lakes and canals I'm fishing in anyway so you might as well assplode them.

Stray cats are just as bad as snakeheads though.
>>
File: futurama_fry_squint-600x450.jpg (31 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
futurama_fry_squint-600x450.jpg
31 KB, 600x450
>>719478

Hmmm... I'm still a fan of coconuts. Maybe you should have the gas injection knife.

Or maybe you shouldn't.
>>
>>719490
Coconuts i vote for coconuts
>>
>>719428
i own both, quality on spydercos in the 100$ or more range has been fantastic, super smooth, eveything feels great in hand, benchmades come a bit tight from factory imo b ut once they break in / loosen up they also feel great, spyderco probably has better materials workmanship is probably equal in the two of them , benchmade has the best customer service though, will send you parts and shit for free,
>>
>>717634
Hmm. Anyone able to chip in advice?
>>
>>719495

>ywn own a spydershill
>ywn own a bitchmade

Being a poorfriend is suffering
>>
File: 197550000_01_md.jpg (36 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
197550000_01_md.jpg
36 KB, 400x400
Does anyone have an opinion on the S&W military and police knives? A friend is trying to convince me to buy one.
Pic related
>>
>>719507

I'd be very skeptical.
>>
>>719506
im pretty poorfriend too, though ater owning cheap knives and having to constantly resharpen or having little things go wrong i decided i wanted a igher end knife, had a friend who suggested benchmade so i picked one up for around $100 it was from a giftcard to a store i wouldnt have gotten much anything else at ,, emailed benchmade about getting a deep carry clip etc and the customer service was so great i decided my next knife was going to be a benchmade, so i decided to buy a different one with my own actual money, and liked it even more than the first, emailed them about another deep carry clip , they messed up my order, so they sent me 2 and a bunch of stickers with an apology, have heard great things about spydershil so decided m next knofe would be an spyderco so the next knife i bought was a spyderco, an i was blown away with the matierials/quality/worksmanship its so nice i often dont want to carry it, next on my list is another spyderco , i never spend money on anything else so i ifgured its alright to splurge on a nice knife ever once in a while
>>
>>715159
LoL, I bought one of those knives you have in your picture, I added it to an order to get free shipping and planned to throw it in my bug out bag as a spare, it turned out to be a very good blade for me and I still use it to this day, I have more expensive knives but I use that one the most because I'm not frightened to break it like would be with the others.

But I never use the cutting edge to spark my fire steel, I use the back of the blade, that picture sets my teeth on edge!!
>>
File: my-baby.jpg (42 KB, 620x482) Image search: [Google]
my-baby.jpg
42 KB, 620x482
Is this a good knife?
>>
>>719613
Grillin' bear brand knife
>good

Hahaha
>>
>>719615
Don't listen to this guy, he believes the meme.
>>719613
>good knife
Yes, everything you'll need in a knife at a fair price.
>>
>>717896
Didn't Walker just sign a bill that legalized all knives in Wisconsin including switchblades as long as you have your concealed carry permit?
>>
>>719613
They may not tell you for fear of damaging their "street cred," but a lot of top knife enthusiasts/makers are using it as their go to knife, it just cannot be beat for the price and the design is top notch. In my personal opinion you can't beat it until you are well past the $1500+ mark
>>
>>719622
>$1500
I think you have an extra 0 but otherwise are 100% 5/7 perfect on this.
>>
>>719502
http://youtu.be/lW5kLXqe5iE
>>
I'm thinking of picking up one of these, though more for using for yard work. Anybody got one and care to comment?

I'm leaning towards the one with the leather handle since I like it on some of the Estwing tools I've got, but I'd like to know if the knuckle guard gets in the way while using the hook.
>>
>>717634
Your choices are near endless at $200

At under the $100 mark you've got lots of good Carbon steel knives like Ontario Rat, Esee or Kabar Becker series and if you step up closer to $200 then you access more exotic stuff like Bark Rivers in A2 steel and Lionsteels in Sleipner which are both really useful tool steels. In stainless you've got things like the Ontario Blackbird in 154cm and the Benchmade hunt/bush series in S30v(which might be a bit on the hard/chippy side for your purposes)

Those are just some off the top of my head, really need more info for more accurate suggestions.
>>
>>719700
>I've got, but I'd like to know if the knuckle guard gets in the way while using the hook.

I have one with the handguard like that and don't like the handguard at all. It really does get in the way.
>>
File: image.jpg (3 MB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3 MB, 4032x3024
Just bought this. It will be used for general outdoors stuff, some bushcraft too. Did I do good?
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 4032x3024
>>719880
>>
>>719880
>>719882
Pic is Helle Utvær btw
>>
>>719681
Do want.
>>
>>719880
>>719882
what did you pay? thats an attractive knife, that follows knife laws in my state, though id like it if it came with a horizontal carry sheath
>>
>>718996
For that price you can go midtech or high quality production. Look at ZT or similar brands.
>>
>>719640
>5/7
Nice Reddit meme
>>
>>719950
It was £179. Which is more than I needed to pay, you can get them for ~£140. I had researched last night and thought this was the going rate. Clearly I got mixed up, fucking idiot. Oh well, it's amazing and I'm happy with it.
>>
Best fixed blade knife under $100? I just want something to trim kindling, maybe carve a spoon and keep on my hip while i sleep to make me feel safe from methheads.
>>
File: can_i_camp_with_you.jpg (7 KB, 184x274) Image search: [Google]
can_i_camp_with_you.jpg
7 KB, 184x274
>>720293
>I just want something to trim kindling,

mora

>maybe carve a spoon

mora

>and keep on my hip while i sleep to make me feel safe from methheads.

handgun
>>
>>720293
Ontario Rat, Esee, or Ka-Bar. Whichever size you prefer.
>>
File: helle70new.jpg (31 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
helle70new.jpg
31 KB, 800x800
My mother has a Helle Lapland knife that she hasn't used since we last had a chicken pen on our property, maybe 4 years ago, and granted me free use of it as a camp knifee. I don't want to spend money on another knife unless necessary, will it do /out/? Should I get an axe, a smaller tollekniv for finer work etc. or will it do in a pinch? Also, is the sheath or handle in any way fucked by not being oil treated for the past 4+ years, just laying on top a shelf? Is the stainless "sandwhich (i believe) steel of good quality? Is the blade too thin (3mm) for chopping wood? So many questions...
>>
File: image.jpg (101 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
101 KB, 640x1136
>>720293
>>720455
This is supposed to be the way to go. I kinda want to grab one but I'm not a collector and don't need it.

RAT 5 is a bit larger but most people say it is a little too large for EDC.

http://www.amazon.com/Ontario-Knife-8630-RAT-3/dp/B001DZV3C0
>>
File: Ontario3bby.jpg (728 KB, 1836x3264) Image search: [Google]
Ontario3bby.jpg
728 KB, 1836x3264
>>720468
It's a nice knife. Haven't beaten it up, but from the use its had, its been great.
>>
>>720476
That guy who got caught in some rocks and had to saw his arm off a few years ago, remember that?

Anyway I wonder what knife he was carrying. I want one of those.
>>
>>720483
"he tried to chip away at the rock with a cheap imitation of a Leatherman brand multi-tool"

Then

"Ralston prepared to amputate his right arm below the elbow using the knife blade on his multi-tool."

So go buy a shit multi-tool and you're set'
>>
>>718540
140?
>>
File: EKA Swede 10 Wood2_950_1.jpg (34 KB, 950x474) Image search: [Google]
EKA Swede 10 Wood2_950_1.jpg
34 KB, 950x474
I am thinking about buying a EKA Swede 10, is there any other good folding knives made in Sweden that /out/ would recommend?
>>
File: image.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
>>720606
Noice
>>
>>720735
Go cut that arm off champ!
>>
First post here. I literally never set a foot anywhere thousands of people didn't before me, but I want to change that now.
Planning on buying a knife today, what should I look out for? It should be an al-round survival knife.
>>
>>720898

budget? Generally, you want something like a 4'' fixed blade.
>>
>>720918
Budged is flexible. I don't even know what range to expect.
My father once told me something about how his old (Finnish) army knife is self sharpening, is that something I should go for?
>>
>>720921
>self sharpening
I would stay away from anything that claims that.

For fixed blades, look ar Ka-Bars, Ontario Knife Co, or Esee. Those seem to be highly reccommended around here. And like other dude said, 4" is a good blade size. If you spend $50-$100, you will get a tool that should last years.
>>
>>720925
>>720918
Thank you.
>>
>>720925

i'd stay away from ka-bars - they're meme knives. Unless we're talking beckers, those are good, but I'm not fond of the quarter inch thick prybars.

Ontario is a good budget brand, esee makes some really nice ones, especially the new ones, with the redesigned handle.

Tops has some good stuff hidden among the myriad of silly, tacticool designs, but they seem a bit pricy.

Condor makes a few cheap, no-nonsense blades, and if you can get to $150, i'd recommend some of the semi customs - I'm an LT Wright fan myself, but Blind Horse knives (what LT used to be part of before they split), and Battle Horse Knives that formed in it's place is also a good bet.

Then for around $200 you can get some high end stuff like a skookum bush tool, but be aware that you;re paying 50-100 dollars more to squeeze a little bit of extra performance out of a knife - unless you really want something fancy it might not be worth it for you.

Apart from that, Cold Steel makes some decent stuff, as does Falkniven, but they are pricy outside of EU.

Bottom line - you don't need to spend more than 50 to 100 dollars on the high end, unless you want to pay for brands, high end steel and whatnot.
>>
>>720606
>he didn't had a phone to call help
>>
File: morakniv-color-companion-mix.jpg (69 KB, 425x411) Image search: [Google]
morakniv-color-companion-mix.jpg
69 KB, 425x411
>>720925
I agree with >>721068 regarding Ka-bars. I'll be in the minority here but I think Esee knives, while good, are over-priced and in the process of becoming "meme" gear.

Among your more expensive brands will be Medford Knife/Tool, Miller Bros. Blades, and other custom/hand-made products.

Condor and Ontario make good knives at good prices. Buck is another company that makes good ( a lot of people would argue great ) knives at good prices. The better knives ( that are not collector pieces ) from these companies can all be found for near/under $150.00 American.

If you want low-cost knives with a decent reputation you may want to check out CRKT. and Cold Steel.

If you want to pay pocketchange check out Morakniv and Opinel. Oddly enough these seem to be two of /out/ favorites and in the case of Opinel I can certainly see why. Morakniv makes good products too and you can buy them in bulk which makes them the best deal out of /out/ so don't be quick to dismiss them. In fact, I'm going to encourage you to go for these two brands specifically because you said you are trying to change and get outside which means you'll want to practice the basics and if you break a Morakniv you'll be thankful it wasn't a more expensive knife later on. Pic related.
>>
>>720898
I meant to type >>721123 for you but clicked on the wrong anon's post.
>>
File: 72320670.png (627 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
72320670.png
627 KB, 400x400
>>721123
>Condor
crude and rough blade finish. same for the handle. wacky leather sheats.

>Ontario
cheap china made folders

>Mora
best. dont buy the cheapest models.
>>
File: 20160324_153513.jpg (1 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20160324_153513.jpg
1 MB, 3264x1836
>>721123
Mora is pretty good for the price, I got mine for work and it was only 20 bucks.
I was a little pissed it came with no edge but whatever, I didn't research and it was only $20
I like my buck much better
>>
>>721133
that is either a fake mora or you ruined it
>>
>>721136
Ruined is subjective my friend, I did use it to practice my hollow grind.
>>
>>721133
i got a similar myura from anon (it was like $12) and it's sharper than homosexual snark. something's seriously wrong if you have an actual myura and it's got no edge...
>>
>>721146
It literally came with no edge, I didn't take a pic at the time, but you can see at the base where the original blade was.
No edge out of the box and the tip had excess steel on it.
>>
>>721148
may have been a counterfeit.
>>
>>721151
Anything's possible
>>
File: 20160324_130401.jpg (4 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20160324_130401.jpg
4 MB, 5312x2988
Pick up this Orange nightmare at a gun show a few months back. One of the lead designers at Adidas left to start his own knife company. Thought that was kinda cool.
>>
>>721110
Okay?
>>
>>718436
Kershaw Skyline bro
>>
File: IMG_1074.jpg (1 MB, 2396x2117) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1074.jpg
1 MB, 2396x2117
>>
>>721130
Ontario's folders aren't bad at all. They're at least made in Taiwan instead of china too. Their machetes are great values too if you're willing to sharpen them out of the box. RAT fixed blades aren't bad but they're not a great value vs an ESEE.
>>
>>721328
I don't get why people care if it's sharp out of box or not.

Being able to sharpen a knife isn't very hard.
>>
>>715583
>day 71
>the spydercos dont realize Im actually a benchmade
>>
I have $20 dividend at REI what knife should I buy?
>>
>>715118
My leek was my favorite edc until i got my PM2, but i still prefer the Leek for a small knife
>>
>>715583
I got a Paramilitary 2 and now I'm looking at either a Delica or a dragonfly in ZDP-189 or Hap40
>>
>>721581
Opinel no.8 for $16
>>
>>
>>
>>721657

Unless you have diamond or silicon carbide sharpening stones, I would avoid ZDP-189.

HAP40 is much easier to sharpen without specialized stones.

If you HAVE DMT/Atoma plates or silicon carbide oilstones or waterstones, then I would go for the ZDP since toughness shouldn't be a top priority on such a small blade.
>>
My newest EDC knife.

Calton Cutlery 1095 necker at ~62.5 HRC

7" OAL, 3" cutting edge

0.060" at the spine, 0.009" behind the edge

1000 grit edge bevel at ~20 degrees inclusive, stropped on 6 micron diamond paste on a hanging leather strop.

Push cuts newsprint at 90 degrees across the grain while still having a good amount of slicing agression.
>>
File: ONSP1.jpg (20 KB, 762x366) Image search: [Google]
ONSP1.jpg
20 KB, 762x366
New to /out/

What is everyone's opinion on the Ontario SP1? I bought one for 50 bucks that's arriving on Thursday

I'm planning on using it for mostly light shit like cutting twigs off logs and cutting rope and fishing line and such. Is it bad for batonning tinder since the back of the tip is sharpened or does that mean that I just get double the work done?
>>
>>722720
I also just bought one, haven't really had a chance to use it yet
>>
>>722585

That looks sexy as fuck, I wish I was knowledgeable about knife blades to comprehend and appreciate the specs
>>
>>722735

not him, but most you need to know is that 62 hrc is the high end of production knife hardening - most mass (comercially) produced knives are around 59 hrc - D2 steel is typically hardened to 60-62.

lso - most are 1/8'' spines, about 0.5mm (approx 0.02'') behind the edge, so that there is a mighty fine slicer.

A bit overkill in my opinion, a 1/8'' spine is thin enough.

Then again, it's a fine detail knife, not a survival/bushcraft blade, and thankfuly those have moved away from the 1/4 inch thick prybars to a much more sensible 1/8.
>>
>>721214
what's that middle one? can't make out what it says on the blade from the picture.
>>
File: IMG_20150717_142406~2_noexif.jpg (1 MB, 3577x1730) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150717_142406~2_noexif.jpg
1 MB, 3577x1730
>>722735
>>722739

It is a custom knife made by Joe Calton. He optimizes his heat treatment and temper recipe for each sheet of steel he makes knives from, and typically runs his 1095 at about 62.5 HRC with a triple normalized temper.

The knife is also, by modern EDC knife standards, incredibly thin. Most production folding knives are 3mm or more thick at the spine, this knife is 1.54mm at the spine.

Most production folders also about 2.5x-3.5x as thick behind the edge. Combined this means my necker requires a LOT less force to make cuts compared to a thicker production folder.

The drawback is that you have to respect that it cannot be used like you would use an outdoor survival knife.

Don't get me wrong, the necker will stand up to hard cutting tasks fine, just don't beat on it or baton with it.

The knife is optimized for EDC use and doest waste cutting ability for toughness I don't need in am EDC knife. To use an analogy: The knife is a sports car compared to the SUVs most production folders are.

Pic related is a spine on comparison of a Calton necker to a 3mm spine Spyderco.
>>
>>722824

It's a casstrom knife
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 91

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.