[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do workboots make decent /out/ boots too?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5
File: 55-245.jpg (28 KB, 480x460) Image search: [Google]
55-245.jpg
28 KB, 480x460
Do workboots make decent /out/ boots too?
>>
if they're worn in then maybe?
>>
>>725461
I was curious about that too. I have some CAT composite toe shoes / boots I wear for work and I was thinking about wearing them to the lake. But instead I just have a shitty pair of Nikes if it's dry or a knockoff pair of Timbs if it is wet.

The composite toe is light so wouldn't be too bad but it still isn't the easiest on the toes. And I would never want to wear steel toes on a hike. Those couple extra ounces would make you so tired at the end of the day.

Also gotta look at the soles. I have had some work boots that are ASTM compliant or whatever to be no-slip, non-conducting and they will have really hard and somewhat slippery soles until they are broken in.

Tl;dr: Steel toes? Nah. Broken in and comfy boots? Sure.
>>
>>725461
They can be but you might want to break them in and get a nice pair of insoles.
>>
>>725470
This is true but I have found a few pairs of composite toes that didn't have to be broken in for shit. Kinda nice since sometimes your feet will be beat to hell for a week or two before they finally get comfy.

I got a fresh pair of Puma composite toes I need to break in one day.
>>
They are typically heavy and I wouldn't recommend for hiking/backpacking. But otherwise, sure why not?
>>
>>725461
So long as you don't cheap out and buy quality boots, which will usually cost you around $150 or more depending on the brand. I can attest to this because I work outside all day on my job as a tree trimmer, and I do a lot of waking around in mud, brush, water logged areas and such. Usually the first thing to go is the sole on the inside of the boot, that thin cloth strip, which will rub off. Then the outer sole will pull away from the boot. But that m is after ALOT of use. The longest wearing pair of boots I owned were red wings brand. Had them for about five years or so. Don't use slip on boots, always lace up. They will hug your foot tighter for a better fit. Of the two pairs of slip on boots I've had for work, both pairs always ended up dodging around on my foot, and the material on the inside of the shank rubbed thin and my heel would get stuck in the hole and I would have to cut the boot to get them off.

TL:DR yes they are good, buy quality boots in the 150+ dollar range, buy lace ups, not slip ons
>>
File: IMG_0173.jpg (3 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0173.jpg
3 MB, 2448x3264
I have a pair of Timberlands that are great for casual hikes. Most comfortable footwear I own. For rough terrain and backpacking I love me some Lowa
>>
>>725461
The only reason I would say they aren't is because of the steel toe and or shank.

Otherwise yeah they'd be fine as long as they're comfortable.
>>
>>725461
be wary of work boots, a lot of them are shit that fall apart after 6 months of daily use
>>
>>725609
Red Wings brand are the way to go. They last a long time and are comfy for work boots.
>>
I always wore work boots sience I was 16 because that was all I had, steel toed too. I remember trying jungle boots once and they felt like I was walking on clowds. Then again ten years of heavy ass boots and long long walks did gave me incredible calves and a great butt.
>>
>>725473
>a few pairs of composite toes that didn't have to be broken in
Do tell. I'm in the market for a new pair.
>>
>>725609
What model of red wing?

>>725651
Whats wrong with steel toe ?
>>
File: Old_4_Loggers.jpg (1 MB, 2974x2289) Image search: [Google]
Old_4_Loggers.jpg
1 MB, 2974x2289
>>726452
You dont wear steel toes for innawoods m8. Not even loggers use them.
>The amount of fucking boot threads.
Leather+broken in = best shoe for anything. You think the men who mapped and built this world had a closet full of different shoes?
>>
>>726538
No, loggers use chainsaw boots so that they don't cut their feet off. Dumb ass.
>>
>>726538
It is in fact likely that explorers changed their footwear to suit their climate, as it changed. Perhaps you should read more.
>>
>>726543
lol I can confirm this, chainsaw boots (and chaps, and pants) are designed to fetch up in the chainsaw preventing your piggly wigglys getting chewed up.
>>
File: image.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
>>726424
Pic related are the ones I have been wearing recently. Like zero break in time and theh have been holding up pretty well. Got them at Sears for around $100. Sears is the best big retailer for work shoes. I bought these Dewalt ones from Sears before and they were comfy but fell apart quick. I have also had a few different pairs of Reeboks. They sell one that looks like a skate shoe and I wouldn't get those again. But they also have more athletic shoe looking ones and those were OK. And the Pumas I had reccommended by my boss but haven't worn them yet. The Pumas and Reeboks were from the internet btw, never seen them in stores.

But I normally don't go with actual boots if that is what you're looking for. I run around in them all day plus I'm in Florida so it's hot.
>>
File: mcb22.png (174 KB, 325x314) Image search: [Google]
mcb22.png
174 KB, 325x314
I've worn a pair of Dunlop work boot with a steel toe and they were OK but now i own pic related for innawoods and another lightweight hiking boot for hikes and walking
>>
>>726544
Perhaps you should read better. Yes im sure explorers wore whatever they wanted to but i dont think they would carry around a shitload of shoes around.
>>
>>726543
Lol, "chainsaw boots". I can tell you have soft hands.
>>
>>726543
I think they wear logger boots actuallyy friend.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.