[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ok /out/. I got my basic mora already, but now I want a bigger,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: 51FqO9ZyTRL._SL1024_.jpg (48 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
51FqO9ZyTRL._SL1024_.jpg
48 KB, 1024x1024
Ok /out/. I got my basic mora already, but now I want a bigger, better knife. I want to do batonning with it, general carving and cutting. I want something that is simple, durable and versatile. I'll use it for fishing, hunting and trapping trips in the canadian wilderness. So I stumbled across the Blackbird SK-5 while doing some research. What does anon think about that knife? Is it really worth the 170 moose bucks?
>>
File: 364818.png (32 KB, 704x505) Image search: [Google]
364818.png
32 KB, 704x505
>>
File: BrewersBlackbird3LR.jpg (328 KB, 750x500) Image search: [Google]
BrewersBlackbird3LR.jpg
328 KB, 750x500
I've got it. It's OK. It's not really amazing or terrible. If it was ~$60 cheaper it would be great.
>>
>>720585
>Batoning
>Chopping
>Cutting
>Carving

if there was a knife that did all these perfectly. the "perfect knife" wouldn't you think you'd see this blade shape EVERYWHERE? because there isn't.

I'm not sure why you would baton on the trail.. theres no reason for it, unless you plan on becoming a bodger.. even then you would want a froe.

Carving. you've got that mora already, ive never handled a big knife that is worth its dick in carving, sure it can be done, but why when you can have a small carving knife that weighs like 2 oz and fits the hand so perfectly?

cutting, is chopping. and really depends on how much cutting you will do. what kinds of trees you see. are you cutting ropes a lot?

Besides using a larger knife as a priest during fishing, how exactly is a knife that's 1/4" thick going to help you while fishing?

>is the SK-5 worth your shekels.
no.

I'm not trolling, I'm being serious you're either gonna have to describe in more detail what you WANT to do with a knife, and let us help you narrow it down.
>>
>>720593
What would you say is it's biggest flaw? What knife would you rather use?
>>
>>720594
I mostly want to be able to accompany my grandfather on his trapping and hunting trips while he still can. So we're not talking about hiking and camping trips here. Think deep canadian wilderness that you get to by plane. Tasks will include working on traps, preparing game, general woodworking (like making feather sticks or pot holder and batoning to name a few). My mora is fine for finer work and it's dependable, but it's far from a work horse I can rely upon completely.
>>
>>720599
I've seen a horse carved up and butchered with a 26" long machete...

I don't think you're looking for a knife tho. you really sound like you want a small hatchet. something with a good tool steel insert so you can retain a edge fairly easily.. maybe a more rounded cutting edge, so you can rock your way through any skinning. plus the back side can be used for a hammer in driving in stakes. and making feather sticks and pot holders, you can just choke up on the head.
>>
>>720601
Hmm I already have a hatchet but that's a fair point. Although, I'll admit. I have problems figuring how you could skin and butcher snowshoe hares with a hatchet.
>>
>>720603
do you cut off its little fluffie feeties and slice down its belly over the anus towards the legs. and peel? can't see why a hatchet wouldn't. then again, I just buy cheap bulk surgical blades, and keep a handle in my bag for any skinning. and use my hatchet for whacking off heads and limbs. Tho ever since I got an Ulu styled knife, I just more roll off the limbs and heads instead of chopping, looks less brutal. lmao
>>
>>720593
You aren't gonna buy shit in 154cm for $60 though, it'll be AUS8 or 8CR most likely.
>>
>cutting, is chopping.

The fuck.
>>
>>720610
We do, but we also want the full pelt so we don't just cut the heads off.
>>
>le batoning

Buy a $10 carbon hatchet and call it good

Then realize you'll rarely ever need to cut firewood because shit, there's enough branches you can break by hand and feet everywhere in da woods, not to mention ones from fallen trees/fallen branches that are already broken up.

Spend more time in da woods and less time on gear; you'll learn more.
>>
>>721332
> spend more time in the woods
So much this. I don't get to go out much now, but I remember in basic training we were short on drill sergeants, so when we did our final ftx for 5 days it was more or less just camping with nothing but an e-tool. No patrols or training, which kind sucked, but it was pretty fun. I had a guy show me how to start a fire with two sticks, we harvested wood to build up our fighting position and keep rain off of us by building cover from fallen wood, I learned exactly how big a tree had to be before it was too big to just uproot by hand, I learned to bury poop, we dug up sweet bits of some kinda root to chew on because we only got one mre every 16 hours.

My goal is to eventually go back into the woods and do exactly that, by myself, for as long as I can, I'm just so tired of being around people
>>
>>720585
Keep your mora and buy a hultafors agdor. Hand forged, hickory handle, swedish axe steel, 35 $
>>
>>720585
They are very versatile, the blade shape works great for hunting
>>
Condor bushlore seems like it does everything that blackbird can, although much much cheaper.

If QC is a concern buy it from baryonyx for a couple bucks more
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.