[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Carbon steel vs stainless steel
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 10
Which is better overall? what do you carry while you're /out/.
>>
File: EmailFromMorakniv(Partial).png (31 KB, 1001x424) Image search: [Google]
EmailFromMorakniv(Partial).png
31 KB, 1001x424
I'm not really sure which I prefer but I know what Morakniv prefers.
>>
>>709864
Well i guess that settles that. Thank you.
>>
When will the Morakniv meme end? Americans circlejerk over any foreign brand that's hard to find in stock for US shipping even if it's inferior quality. Consumerism at it's finest.
>>
>>709870
What knife would you recommend then?
>>
i like carbon more in general but have no problems with stainless. my favorite steel so far has been elmax. i have a few 1095 fixed blades and they are great. also have a zt shifter in 14c28n and it has gone waaaay beyond my expectation.
>>
>>709862
It depends on what you use it for and how much effort you want to put into maintaining the blade. Carbon is more maintenance but the blade sharpens really well, where as stainless is a pain to sharpen but the blade doesn't need much maintenance. I'd say for /out/ activities carbon would be better. Blade maintenance probably isn't a big downer to an outdoorsman and it's worth having that sharp edge. Stainless would be way better in a cooking and home situation.
>>
>>709872
it doesn't matter. mora is the knife swedes get their 10 year olds when they take them camping. it will do fine but its nothing special like you would glean from how often you see the pics here.
>>
>>709879
I love kershaw. I had never heard of mora before I came to /out/, i just assumed it was good because people on here.
>>
>>709881
kershaw usa has some great options. their china line is crap, though.
>>
>>709878
>I'd say for /out/ activities carbon would be better
Landlubber.

>>709879
>it will do fine
And it's cheap. How exactly is that consumerism?
>>
>>709924
what the fuck are you asking me here? how is marketing cheap goods to sell by the millions consumerism? are you fucking stupid?
i own a mora. i like it just fine for what it is.
>>
>>709862
1095 CroVan
Best steel I have used until now.
Keeps and takes an edge very well, is tough as hell and doesn't rust near as quick as regular 1095 does.

You can't really say which is better.
Premium steels are stainless, but that is mostly because of the high vanadium content.
If you want to save money, HC steel is the way to go. In case of Mora I'd go for stainless steel.
Sandvik does a really good job at forging it.

>>709870
>>709879
>Americans circlejerk over any foreign brand that's hard to find in stock for US shipping even if it's inferior quality.

>What knife would you recommend then?

>it doesn't matter.

What a fag
>>
I have a stainless one. The tip broke.
>>
>>709930
>what the fuck are you asking me here?
I'm asking how buying something cheap and adequate like a Mora is more consumerist than buying a $200+ "bushcrafting" knife that isn't all that much better, when most users will never appreciate the difference, if there is any.

>i own a mora. i like it just fine for what it is.
That's my point.
>>
>>709946
Damn yours broke? did it hurt? I burnt my tip once and it fucking sucked, made it useless pretty much.
>>
>What knife would you recommend then?

Get a Hultafors GK then.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>709872
>$17
>>
>>710012
Why it is my recommendation.

You get a lot of knife for that tiny bit of coin.
>>
>>709956
It sucks since I cant use it to pierce anything anymore.
>>
Stainless

You aren't supposed to be using a knife on something that'll shatter stainless--it'll bend carbon around the same pressure too.

Carbon is fine, of course, but the corrosion resistance of stainless is the biggest boon for /out/.
>>
>>709862
Carbon take an edge better and gets sharper but it rust easier and requires more care. Stainless is more resilient with less care and holds an edge longer but is slightly duller and more difficult to sharpen. The edge differences aren't really much to worry on for an /out/ knife. I'd go stainless.
>>
>>709862
overall stainless is better.
near sea or in humid salty air is not even a question.

carbon steel is a meme because it will throw good spark off flint. not like you want to fuck up your spine with a flint mind you but "you can if you have to".
>>
What's better Carbon or Stainless?

That's half a question. WHAT IS THE INTENDED PURPOSE OF THE KNIFE. WHAT SPECIFIC CARBON OR STAINLESS ARE YOU CONSIDERING?

It's like saying, are apples or oranges better? Instead, ask, knowing the characteristics of Granny Smith apples, and Red Delicious applies, which would I prefer, making an educated decision.

Like srsly theres a billion types of steel. Do some reading and stop with the stupid questions.
>>
>>710064
this is hardly true because in most situations stainless wins. the applications carbon steel has over stainless is negligible

the carbon steel paradigm is a result of americans loving ruggedness and hating proprietary design, the americans that make a habit of buying knives at least

bushcraft folk also leverage the ability to throw sparts off the knife, which carbon steel is necessary for.

i like taking care of my things, and i prefer carbon steel. and i cant give any reason other than its a luckier steel
>>
I have a mora in stainless. I got it because it was super cheap and being stainless it is useful for fishing.

Really good quality for a cheap knife only $10.
>>
>>709862
>need to use a knife every day or very often?
>use carbon steel, if it doesn't rust, don't use it

>need to use a knife once a year in that backwoods cabin or keep on in the trunk of your car or the bottom of your tool box for years on end?
>use a stainless steel knife so you don't come back to find it pitted to hell and back and you won't need to wrap it up in an oily rag

Also, don't buy a knife. Make your own knife.
>>
>>710034
Yeah the edge difference is negligible. If you can't get the job done with a stainless blade you probably shouldn't be on the job at all.

The benefits of a stainless blade outweigh the benefits of a carbon blade.
>>
>>709924
Threw a Kershaw folder once, no spin. Stuck just fine.

The second time the pin sheared off.

#kershawcucks
>>
>>709924
I'm guessing you're on a boat, and considering the salt content in the air from being out on the ocean; stainless would be better in that situation.
>>
>>709862
Stainless, modern alloys all the good properties that you want in a knife. Carbon steels like 10xx series are not bad but for those who rust is an issue they're a no go.
>>
>>709949
You're fuckin retarded anon. Buying anything is the same amount of "consumerist" as buying anything else.
Fuck, you win the idiot award for these posts.
>>
>>709862
>what is best overall?
Personal preference and area where you live/intend to visit should be the deciding factor, but there is no best overall steel
>>
>>710124
>throwing knives
>throwing knives
skeem?
>>
>>709862
highly depends on your hobbies
In general, stainless is better or food prep and all activities involving water. takes a little longer to sharpen (some s-steels are a pita) and doesn't get an edge as fine as carbon (still gets fucken sharp)
Carbon develops a patina and will rust when not properly cared, much easier to keep sharp in the field and better for woodworking.
>>
>>709872

I carry a carbon steel opinel and a stainless steel swiss army knife. Its easy to get a razor sharp edge with the opinel so I use it during the day; the swiss army I have to take care of b4 I go out, but helps around camp.
>>
>>709862

If you fell for the choppa meme, then you need carbon steel. If you use a knife for whats its intended: "cutting", then youre fine with a stainless steel blade.

The bigger the blade however, the more brittle stainless steel becomes.

Furthermore, what good is a badass carbon steel blade innawoods, when SHTF, if it rusts within a week, because you cant oil it/dry it etc.?

I personally think that knives are massively overrated and gimmicky. In my vast experience, a good hatchet and a really good pocket knife/leatherman will work the best.

If you must have a knife and wont buy a hatchet, get a ESEE, a Fällkniven, or a Benchmade.

>Hatchets>knives
>multitools>knives

If I could grab 3 things for the apocalypse:

>gränsfors bruks axe (doesnt matter which)
>leatherman wave/signal/charge
>my bow (50lbs)
>>
>>710536
buddy just because you're too much of a dumb fuck to keep a knife from rusting doesn't mean anon shouldn't buy carbon steel
fuck you and your shtf bullshit, no wonder you're fucking stupid you're telling us what you'd bring to imagination land
>>
>>709864

Ha! I asked this question in another thread. Guess they answered the fuck out of that one. Thanks OP
>>
>>709946
>>710022

Just take it to a knife shop and get it re-profiled.
>>
>>710079
>ushcraft folk also leverage the ability to throw sparts off the knife

This really gets me. When did it become the default to use a firesteel? Bic lighters are $1, reliable as fuck and you can break them open for fuel in an emergency. They rarely fail, and when they do I also carry some weatherproof matches. If I manage to go through the entire pack of them, then I have the firesteel as a backup.

This whole thing is a meme just because it looks fucking 'authentic' on youtube. When you're the one out innawoods, there's nobody to fucking see how cool you are.
>>
File: 1438285223059.jpg (17 KB, 313x286) Image search: [Google]
1438285223059.jpg
17 KB, 313x286
>>709870
>>
>>710615
youve broken open a bic light for fuel before? butane is compressed in the lighter. when exposed to the environment it decompresses into a gas
>>
>>710619

herp derp

don't make me post pictures
>>
>>710620
go ahead
>>
>>710012
I don't understand why you would stab a fish
>>
>>710715
Central nervous system. He problably did it so the fish won't suffer. It's the humane thing to do anon
>>
>>710715
They are bad, bad fish. Gotta get rid of them. I used to just try and leave them far away from shore, but snakeheads can actually breath out of water for days and I don't want them to get back in.

I normally try to smash their thick skull to knock em out first and then pop em in the head with the knife to get rid of them as fast as possible. I'm not tryin to fillet it to eat or anything and I don't feel like chopping the whole head off.
>>
>>710739
you should eat what you catch
these fish are edible
>>
>>710557
>buddy just because you're too much of a dumb fuck to keep a knife from rusting doesn't mean anon shouldn't buy carbon steel

Reading comprehension is not always easy, its ok, you tried.

>fuck you and your shtf bullshit, no wonder you're fucking stupid you're telling us what you'd bring to imagination land

Again, I actually spend my time /out/ professionally. You never use a knife out, unless your making a gay bushcrafting video for youtube.

Tools that actually get used outdoors are:

>axe/hammer
>multitool/pocket knife
>compass
>water filter
>stove/pot etc

Knifes have 0 use, unless youre in a survival situation, which is why I said "SHTF", or "apocalypse."

Fucking child.
>>
>>711011
They're snakeheads, doesn't matter if you eat them or not, you're still doing your local river system a favour.
>>
>>709862

It doesnt matter.

Personally, if a knife you want / like is of a reputable brand, just go with what looks cool to you.

Gemoetry, design for performance and aesthetics are more important than steel choice-

As an example, for knife snobs, Randall Made Knives use a shitty steel. However their practical reviews are all great, becase they are.

As a second example, natives from all parts of the world that use knives every day use very, very shitty knives made from scraps of metal from barrels or car parts. and they're happy with them.

As a third example. I myself almost always use stainless S30v because believe it or not, carbon is not so popular in my country. I dont have any problems whatsoever.

If you're still undecided, stainless doesnt stain as easily and most importantly (something most people dont tell you) does NOT leave a metallic taste on food. However they're less though for prying and dont take as sharp an edge as carbon

Carbon is the number 1 choice of natives all over the world, from machetes in the jungles to puukos in the polar circle. Takes great edge, is tougher to blows, and personally, it has more character, because the steel will age with you and it will get cool spots and marks.

Contrary to popular internet backyard survivalist belief, a carbon knife will not disintegrate from rust in your hand if water touches it, and if you use your carbon knife, it will maintain itself pretty well.

>Tl;dr : Go for aesthetics rather than steel
>>
>>710715

Cause it stole his bitch

blubblubargh.jpg
>>
>>711041

>Knifes have 0 use

I'm sure you know more than say, Ray Mears or Lofty Wiseman. Hell, even Mr. Pissdrinker.

Also, it's "knives" you childish retard. Now calm the fuck down.
>>
>>710703

Sure.
>>
>>711055
i don't think you can do a dent on their numbers by fishing out a few.

i'm just saying killing fish and throwing it away is an asshole thing to do.

if you fish eat the catch. if you hunt eat your game. or just play with your dick.
>>
>3 threads with this exactly same image
Do companies really hire people to do this? I woudn't surprise me even tough /out/ only likes to buy shiny Survivalâ„¢ Gearâ„¢ and show it on the interwebs than going /out/
>>
>>711101

I know almost for sure Morakniv sends shills to post on 4chan
>>
>>711101
i would do it if they paid money for it for sure.
but sadly they don't want to.
>>
>>711095
>i don't think you can do a dent on their numbers by fishing out a few.
Tell that to all the species we've already sent extinct or the ones heading that way.

>i'm just saying killing fish and throwing it away is an asshole thing to do.
Cry me a river, every time I beach fish I catch blowfish and every time they're left to die. Every time I see a fox when I'm hunting, I'll shoot it, I've got no sympathy for invasive species.

>inb4 some self hating "you're an invasive species" comment
>>
>>711138
you blow fish?
what? that's just weaird anon
>>
>>710012
darn fish had it comin
>>
>>711070
>knives made from scraps of metal from barrels or car parts. and they're happy with them.
Here Mors Kochanski demonstrates how they used to make cheap knives out of scrapped saw blades for their students.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzGbwT4qVw0

As for Moras carbon steel is the way to go. Two reasons:

1. Sharpening angle is so small you need stropping to get a stainless one sharp. With a stone blade just keeps rolling no matter how fine the stone is. I tried this once and will not waste my time again. The steel is just too soft for a scandi grind. Microbevel is the solution. As a side note not all stainless steels are like this.

2. With scandi grind the amount of steel removed in sharpening is pretty huge compared to other blade types. Carbon steel is faster to sharpen.
>>
>>710079

The advantage of stainless is that it is, drumroll, stain resistant. This comes at the expense of other factors (hardness and toughness, and by extension ease of sharpening and cost).

However, if you don't need stain resistance - not going near water, non-humid environment, the commitment to take care of your gear - there is ZERO point in going for stainless.

Hence, my original point of what is the INTENDED PURPOSE is crucial for deciding whether stainless or carbon is chosen.

Personally, I don't mind caring for my steel and it doesn't take much attention to make sure I dry off my blades and deal with surface rust. Stainless wins out for me in the very specific situation of food prep (and even then I don't mind using carbon steel, cleaning it well after use)
>>
File: image.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
>>711095
I'm not trying to eat any freshwater fish around here. Everything is connected by canals and so much bullshit gets into these lakes and canals.

And there are enough people in South Florida fishing that if everybody kept or killed every fish of a certain species they caught, that species would be very, very thin within a couple years.

I just don't think all the nigs and spics know that you can't throw snakeheads back.
>>
>>711224
1 wrong stainless is harder than carbon
2 wrong you don't remove more steel from stainless than carbon
>>
>>711293
12 pm right now, thinking about shanking a trout
>>
>>711293
Nice headshot anon, that one isnt getting away!
>>
>>711330
Ehh, won't be quite the same with a trout.

>>711332
Thx bby
>>
>>711082

>literally who
>being this mad

Do you have problems reading?

If you go camping/fishing/hunting, you dont need a fulltang carbon steel "bushcrafting" knife.

A 10 dollar Mora will suffice.

If however, you are stuck in the middle of the woods and have no tools and no axe, then yes, a bushcraft knife will save you.

>being this underage.
>>
>>711466

>literally who
>being on /out/
>>
>>711466

Chill your jimmies man

You got called out, deal with it kek
>>
File: spyderco-bushcraft.jpg (124 KB, 604x453) Image search: [Google]
spyderco-bushcraft.jpg
124 KB, 604x453
>>711466
>A 10 dollar Mora will suffice.
You make it sound like it's a bad knife. IMO Mora Companion is ergonomically superior to any bushcraft knives I've tried and the steel is so good there's no real need for a better knife.

>If however, you are stuck in the middle of the woods and have no tools and no axe, then yes, a bushcraft knife will save you.
A real "bushcraft knife" is not necessarily stronger than Mora Companion Robust or Heavy Duty. Spyderco Bushcraft in the pic is one sad example. The blade is so thick it doesn't bend at all and all the shocks are transferred to the weak point inside the handle. Essentially the same problem de Havilland Comet had with its rectangular windows.

>>711299
Stainless HRC 56-58, Carbon HRC 58-60
>wrong you don't remove more steel from stainless than carbon
Never said that, but you have to remove more steel from a scandi grind than, let's say, a hollow grind. The ease of sharpening is not something you should consider when choosing an Opinel with full flat grind. Sharpening takes only seconds anyway.

Any stone will "eat" carbon steel faster than stainless. For the same reason stainless steel stays sharp longer.
>>
>>709862
just picked up a carbon steel opinel 9

finally broke it in processing mushrooms tonight. the blade got rather splotched afterwards. i oiled it so it wont rust
>>
File: I_don't_believe_you.png (85 KB, 250x235) Image search: [Google]
I_don't_believe_you.png
85 KB, 250x235
>>711224
>With scandi grind the amount of steel removed in sharpening is pretty huge compared to other blade types
>>
>>711996
It's not a matter of belief...
>>
>>712058
I don't think knife had a problem. I think you did.
>>
>>709862
Stainless, I used to like the carbon but stainless performs pretty much as well while requiring less up keep
>>
>>711982
Ma negro.

I am to from the Opinel masterrace. No9 and No7.
>>
>>709870

They have even started to give them meme names and raise the price to take advantage of the popularity
>>
>>716026
one should only buy their cheapest shit
>>
File: images.jpg (4 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
4 KB, 275x183
I use a cold steel SRK (made in glorious Nippon, not that china bullshit). It isn't fancy, it isn't a benchmade, but it does the trick and feels like a fucking knoife.
>>
File: IMG_7726(1).jpg (186 KB, 1022x456) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7726(1).jpg
186 KB, 1022x456
>>716044
My biggest problem with the SRK and a lot of other knives is this, wtf is the wasted space for? pushing the useable cutting edge away from your hand just lowers your leverage for whittling type tasks for no benefit that I can see.

Anyone know the purpose?
>>
>>716209
Standoff between the blade and handle? I'd imagine it would be much more prone to snapping off if that wasn't there.
>>
I live on an island in the Caribbean.

I tend to have stainless for my edc around the beach where I work, and I have a beta titanium one for fishing and diving which was a huge pain to get sharp.

This island has a mountain range from east to west all through its length almost, so it's jungle in its center. There, carbon steel knives and machete all the way.
>>
>>716209
easier sharpening you can put your finger there if you need fine work with more control.
>>
>>716209

Same problem. I hate when knives have that.

HOWEVER

I think I found the solution. With that "bar" space, you can pry open stuff.

You stab the knife in between the two things you want to separate and with a twisting motion you can open them. Also with elevator doors, for example.

It's not as bad as I originally thought.

My only complaint in the SRK is that there's no exposed butt to break glass.

The handle could also be reworked a bit for better ergonomics.
>>
stainless - 420 high-carbon to be precise.

stainless should be the go-to metal for any bladed under 10" long, any longer and you need a carbon steel blade.

that said - 9260 spring steel blades provide the best performance (rarely needs sharpening and is resistant to warping), but require routine maintenance and are expensive as hell in comparison. i wouldn't recommend them to anyone unless they're going to also use it for prying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHsfGWkO7SM
>0:34
Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.