[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fishing & Tackle Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 57
File: image.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
#13- "Fastest Bread on /out/" Edition

Previous thread:
>>704739

Let's discuss fishin'
>>
Does it rustle your jimmies when you see someone lip a fish?
>>
Does anyone have tips for crappie or white/yellow bass fishing from a boat? I normally fish for black bass or catfish but some of the lakes around here have good populations of crappie and white bass that I'd like to try and target. I have a pretty good idea of what bait/lures/techniques to use, I could mainly use some tips on finding them.
>>
>>707145
explain

just explored my new backyard, will post some photos soon. So tempted to cast some big bombers into the river, but I know its still too early for striper in the river.
>>
>>707152
not related to that post, but, about fly fishing... do i need one of those tapered tippets or can i get away with tieing 4 feet of 15 pound mono to 3 or 4 feet of 6 pound mono and calling it a day?
>>
>>707019
Chub acquired
God the x is beautiful
>>
>>707165
depends on what type of fishing you are doing.

sometimes I tie my own leaders and tippets, most of the time I buy umpqua 3x 3 pack 9ft sets and then add a 4x tippet material to the end, if I do three nymphs I use a 5x below that

I also will add red mono between my leader and running line as an indicator.

for bass, shad, bigger game I start with a 20lb mono and then go to about 10 lbs, then 6lbs.

The videos I posted in the last thread, about catching bass in a quarry from The New Fly Fisher has a great example of the ideal bass leader/tippet setup.

Also if you search "Joe Humphry's Nymph leader" there is a great diagram of his nymphing leader/tippet.

Also don't focus so much on tes rating, so much as diameter. you want your tippet to taper down to the fly so it aids in propelling the line, however with a big streamer it doesn't have to be a perfect tape, you can make big steps in diameter and tes rating for bass.

>>707171
yeah that popper is nice right.
>>
>>707152

Go for it. It's so nice out here in NH today, I wish I was fishing.
>>
File: trib1.png (1 MB, 1035x576) Image search: [Google]
trib1.png
1 MB, 1035x576
>>707184
I know there are sturgeon in there, I see them all the time. Too bad it's a 10,000$ fine to actively fish and land them. They are making a comeback here and there are a few pups living in the lower river, and out in the bay.

It's cool to watch them when you're fishing from the surf. They jump really high and splash like crazy.

Hopefully they repopulate enough and they will be legal to catch in New England again some day. I think there will be a tag allocation system, with a lottery, when that day comes.

Pic related is a tributary that might hold some fish in warmer weather, the stream that leads inland from the tributary might prove to hold brook trout.
>>
File: trib2.png (4 MB, 1905x1066) Image search: [Google]
trib2.png
4 MB, 1905x1066
>>707196
goddamnit I just fucked up my namefagging on the /k/ surp threads too.

fuck that was retarded.
>>
File: superhightide.png (3 MB, 1907x1070) Image search: [Google]
superhightide.png
3 MB, 1907x1070
>>707203
Tide was extremely high today. This river experiences 8-12 foot tide fluctuations. I just want it to be time to fish in there already haha.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>707174
>>707171
Those poppers are real nice. I think the green frog color is a new one (as of the new year) and I have a brown frog one that has caught lots of nice bass.

I know somebody else has the exact same brown frog and loves it as well.
>>
>>707145
Are you talking about holding it by the lip? How else are you supposed to pick up largemouth?

Plus if their lips are strong enough to hold up reeling them in, they are plenty strong when it comes to holding a fish.
>>
>>707203
You can always delete your post as long as you don't wait too long.

Or you can just be a tripfag all the time and piss everybody off like me.
>>
>>707216
Meant the silver xrap.
The poppy looks ok. Wouldnt serve me for seabass i dont think. How does it do on the water?
I have two poppies. (Ill take the pic tomorrow finally i swear kek) Halco and Savage Gear. The halco roosta is just sex.
>>
>>707208
Is that a gopro sesh?

>>707218
I hold seabass either by the lip, but then i keep it vertical, or 2 fingers, each under its own gill, if its one thats large enough to keep. (i dont C&R so whatever) Thats the way to go with toothies.
>>
File: turkeychaser.png (5 MB, 1902x1066) Image search: [Google]
turkeychaser.png
5 MB, 1902x1066
>>707227
I use two names, one of this thread, one for milsurp threads. sometimes I forget which one I have on, oh well.

>>707230
nah was just walking the dog and wore the gopro this morning to scout around, check tide levels, and to see what is inaccessible at high tide.

The dog was following these female turkeys, it was pretty funny.
>>
File: Longear.jpg (383 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
Longear.jpg
383 KB, 1280x960
I can post some of last years catches if y8u guys like...none yet this year
>>
>>707235
hell yeah dude, post that shit.
>>
>>707251
I dont have a ton. Here is a mess of crappie i caught to use for bait
>>
File: Bait crappie.jpg (235 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
Bait crappie.jpg
235 KB, 1280x960
>>707256
Ugh forgot pic
>>
File: Hybrid2.jpg (398 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
Hybrid2.jpg
398 KB, 1280x960
>>707259
Sunfish
>>
File: Hybrid.jpg (421 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
Hybrid.jpg
421 KB, 1280x960
>>707266
Another
>>
File: Bass stringer.jpg (417 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
Bass stringer.jpg
417 KB, 1280x960
>>707269
Last one i have on this device, a stringer of bass
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>707235
Damn, is that in the US? Like an ultra-pumpkinseed.

>>707230
I always hold them vertically too. It would be retarded to do it any other way.

>>707228
I figured. The color schemes of the X-Raps is one of the main reasons I buy them. Those SkitterPops just seem to have better action compared to typical cone shaped poppers. They walk really well and it is easy to get that "gulp" from them.
>>
>>707273
>I always hold them vertically too. It would be retarded to do it any other way.

that's how you handle a striper, no better way to do it.

plus it's nice having sandpaper thumb
>>
>>707273
Its called a longear sunfish, they are found dpretty extensively in the midwest
>>
>>707277
I've never gotten one of those. Plenty of other blugill and sunfish but never a longear
>>
>>707256
>>707259
Crappie are considered a "game fish" here and it's not legal to use them for bait. Same with channel catfish. It sucks in a way because crappie and channel cats are the preferred food of large flathead catfish. We end up using other sunfish species when targeting flathead catfish.
>>
>>707286
theyre more of a western fish
>>
>>707286
I caught quite a few last spring, but none ever before that

>>707287
That sucks. It might actually be the same here, i will have to check this year, didnt think about that
>>
>>707287
in ohio i cant use any sunfish
im stuck to forage fish (carp, sucker, minnows things like that)
>>
>>707292
Yeah, I guess I should consider myself lucky that sunfish (aside from crappie) aren't protected in any way here in TX. There are no restrictions on using them as live or cut bait and no length or bag limits.
>>
>>707287
Wow, I'm suprised. I think FL, as far as freshwater, largemouth and peacocks are the only "game fish". I'm probably wrong tho.

Suprised about channel cats.
>>
>>707233
I meant is that a gopro session cam. I know you said which one it was 2 threads ago but my memory is alzheimer tier.

>>707273
Yeah. the halco roosta splashes SO nicely. The savage gear kinda scoots around when you walk it, looks pretty neat, but it catches its own hook pretty easily in a river current.
>>
>>707299
Took me a while to find where it explicitly says it but here it is:

http://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/outdoor-annual/fishing/general-rules-regulations/definitions

Bait:
Something used to lure any wildlife resource. It is unlawful to use game fish or any part thereof as bait.

Game Fish:
(includes hybrids or subspecies of fish on this list):

Bass: Guadalupe, largemouth, smallmouth, spotted, striped, white, yellow
Catfish: blue, channel, flathead
Cobia
Crappie: black, white
Mackerel: king, Spanish
Marlin: blue, white
Pickerel
Red drum
Sailfish
Sauger
Seatrout, spotted
Sharks
Snook
Spearfish, longbill
Swordfish, broadbill
Tarpon
Tripletail
Trout: brown, rainbow
Wahoo
Walleye
>>
>>707305
oh yeah it is haha

I was skeptical gettging it at first, but the small form factor and already existing waterproof bezel is nice.

glad I bought it.
>>
>>707218
Yeah someone told me it was bad for the fishes jaw. I really doubt it would hurt the fish unless it was a big one.
>>
>>707332
can't be worse then wrestling the hook in it's lip.

or the pressure applied on the hooked area during fighting.

I don't think thumbing fish is bad.
>>
>>707333
It's all bout fisting.

They say it isn't good for the fish but I know deep down they enjoy it.
>>
>>707333
That's also the point I was trying to make earlier, there is way more force on their lip during the fight than when you are holding em.

Plus they seek to calm down when you hold em by the lip.
>>
>>707313
I was seriously considering it, but now that i found out you cant switch out the battery, im not too keen.
For documenting a 3 day trip with very little breaks, i hardly think its gonna suffice.
What is it, 2 hour battery life?
>>
>>707352
about that.

I have a usb adapter for my phone, which I can plug the gopro and charge it off my phone.

I also carry a migo aux batter with usb port on it that i can charge the gopro on.

Thinking of picking up a portable solar panel, they have some on WOOT! right now, and I'm thinking of treating myself.
>>
>>707355
>>707352
You charge the GoPros from a micro USB or something? Just do the little power packs. How much memory do you have and how many hours can you film? Don't want to miss out on a good catch if you are out there for 6 hours...
>>
File: lipping.jpg (240 KB, 988x558) Image search: [Google]
lipping.jpg
240 KB, 988x558
>>707332
>>707349
When people say that "lipping is bad for the fish" I think they're mostly referring to the retards who bend their lower lip/jaw way down, hyper-extending their jaw and possibly doing damage to their mouth.

https://www.bassmaster.com/blog/how-not-hold-hawg
>>
File: lipping2.jpg (94 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
lipping2.jpg
94 KB, 960x540
>>707367
Like this, holding a large bass like this can severely damage their mouth.
>>
>>707360
I use 2 64gb cards, and have a usb hub I can use with my phone, I carry a WD wallet HD that is 250 gb. I plug the usb dongle to the phone, then the usb hub, then the gopro and the HDD.

This lets me dump footage to the HDD without a computer, allows me to charge from the phone, and other devices like battery bricks
>>
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>707367
Yup, that's retarded. Why would you hold a fish like that? I have seen pics of people doing it like that but still. You can feel how much pressure is on them trying to do that. At least put your hand under the gut if you want to take a pic with the thing.
>>
File: lippin.png (594 KB, 440x792) Image search: [Google]
lippin.png
594 KB, 440x792
>>707367
>>707371
i can see how that could be bad.

for striper you thumb it, pull it up the rocks vertically,

>>707371
that fish is probably long dead.
>>
newfish looking to get into fishing

What's a good start for beginners, perch and bass? I live in South Ontario which is basically the same as northeastern US

Probably going to wander off to the Grand River to find a shore fishing spot once I figure out what bait to use
>>
>>707399
hook, worms, and bobber.

can't go wrong, and it teaches you the basics of rigging, patience, etc.
>>
>>707399
Use a bobber and catch panfish until you have memorized the feel of a fish tugging on your line. After that you can expand to lots of stylea of fishjng depending on what your goal is.

I fish for relaxation mainly and my favorite style of fishing is jigging with real basic plastic jigs
>>
File: supfams.jpg (2 MB, 2160x3840) Image search: [Google]
supfams.jpg
2 MB, 2160x3840
>>707376
>>707376

pic related. i forgot i dont have a mouth held pic

>>707355
>>707360
You reckon a powerbank would work?
Gf got me one of those cos i drive a lot, straight off of work.

Now im either flipping between Hero 4 Silver and a SJ4000. The battery just kinda killed it for me with the session. It is hella convenient tho.
>>
>>707371
FUCKING hell that makes me wince
>>
>>707405
>>707408

Ok cool, thanks for the tips anons
>>
>>707399
Mepps and Rapala

Only two words you need to know.

But yeah toss some nightcrawlers out there first. Although I got my lil bro started on lures and he did ok, but he rarely goes fishing without me or somebody else who knows what they are doing.
>>
image.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
>>707433
>>707399
Forgot pic

Which will probably be sideways
>>
>>707208
neep I think, it's about to be -1.75 on Cape
>>
>>707420
yeah any usb charger should work, or battery pack should work.

>>707435
oh man I want to be there right now.

>>707442
yeah it's going to be an extreme low tide today I think, I'll go take a photo of the same area at low tide.
>>
image.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
This is where I need a kayak. I would love to cast parallel to this grass, but I'm pretty much limited to going straight over it so I can still hop the lure back out.

Plus there's like a 15mph wind coming right at my face today.
>>
>>707435
>XRAP
>R
>A
>P

Too many cars tho. I like my shit as calm as possible, except for water and weather conditions.

>>707443
That makes the sesh interesting again.
Whens the next video coming tho haha.

>>707444
Thats the issue with sea fishing. Southern wind is good wind. But it comes right at your face on the good spots i got. Hence the need for heavy ass lures.
>>
>>707448
>too many cars
Yeah that is I-95 directly behind
>>
>>707448
im unpacking, just did a huge move. probably not until next week.
>>
Anyone have any baitcaster(more specifically a medium action used for bass)tips/advice ? I got a combo several years ago but never actually used it, been in the habit of using spinning gear all my life. I want to actually get some use out of it this year so now seems like a good time to start messing with it.
>>
Now that yall mention baitcasters, are there any advantages over fixed spools?
For spinning and carp fishing specifically?
>>
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
How2cast overhand with a baitcaster? I got pretty decent at side arming it but when I go for the overhand I either slam the lure into the water or nest it up. Pls halp.
>>
File: 20160309_152442.jpg (838 KB, 2048x1350) Image search: [Google]
20160309_152442.jpg
838 KB, 2048x1350
Went fishing. There was a 20 mph wind coming from behind me, but I managed 35-40 foot roll casts.
>>
>>707519
I have 2. The SilverMax on an UglyStik with 30lb braid and the RevoSX on that Johnny Morris rod with 20lb braid.

I'm still not 100% comfortable with them. I bought the SilverMax closer to 2 years ago and originally put 40lb line on it and it was way too much. Re-strung it with 30lb, but I still don't like to use it with lures <1/2oz. I have been tryin to use baitcasters more since I got the Revo. With 20lb, it isn't too bad. If there is no wind, I can go down closer to 1/4oz baits. But if I'm using a 1/2oz+ crankbait, it will launch with the 20lb line.

It's nice poppers and jigs since the rods seem to have faster action than a lot of spinning rods.
>>
>>707522
With new reels, I like to do this.
>set spool tension
>turn brakes to max
>use good form (release at 11'oclock), don't put too much power
Then I start backing off on brakes and start putting more power into casts. Also, remember to use something fairly heavy and aerodynamic, like a 1/2 oz jig.
>>
>>707524
How am I doing for fly fishing for the first time in a long time
>>
File: 1457564089943-2001617735.jpg (4 MB, 2340x4160) Image search: [Google]
1457564089943-2001617735.jpg
4 MB, 2340x4160
>>707524
Nice dude! Keep at it! That rod looks nice. When you slam a bass on that thing its going to be fun

Just remember don't reel with the reel, strip line in if you catch one. Also when you set the hook life your rod over your head. Play him slowly, be patient and if he tugs let him run.

Line management is key when you hook up.

You guys convinced me to go cast some striper plugs. Had a good time but caught nothing, obviously. Drinking and enjoying the sunset.
>>
File: Steely.jpg (770 KB, 1099x1227) Image search: [Google]
Steely.jpg
770 KB, 1099x1227
Steelhead fishing is best fishing
>>
>>707541
I could use some advice on memecasters as well...

Knob by the handle will be spool tension, right? I read with that knob, tighten it enough so the lure you're casting will freely fall to the gound, but the spool should stop spinning as soon as it hits the ground. That one is easy and makes sense. So I will hold the rod tip at 90*, press the button, and it's normally a couple clicks less tension then where the lure will fall under its own weight.

So when do the actual brakes come into play? Any further advice? I'm sure I could go less with the tension but I try ro be conservative. And I never really play with the braies bexause I don't understand it. Just leave them set to like 1/3.
>>
>>707548
Is fly line normally fairly low test? I remember they have strange ratings for them, not basic 8lb and 12lb. It is kinda thick too, right?

There is so much I don't know about fly fishing.
>>
>>707548
Thanks. I'm hoping to build up my skill enough to justify getting a 9wt and a set of waders for pike/Muskie, saltwater, and steelhead
So far I've only gotten bluegill on fly with a shitty little Wal-Mart combo I got when I was 12 and broke at age 13 when I hooked a bass, got spoiled, broke the rod, and lost the fish. I managed to dig this rod up in my dads shed. Its got sink tip line on it so it will probably mostly be used for nymphing until I get a reel with another spool so I can switch between floating and sink tip
>>
>>707557
The leaders are tapered from about 20 pound test to 2-8 pound test depending on the tippet.
>>
>>707561
So how long is the leader? What do you use as a main line?

Also how much line does a typical fly reel hold?
>>
>>707562
The leader is usually 6.5-10 feet in my experience and I honestly don't know what the main line is made of. And just like any reel each reel holds a different amount than another and different lengths of different weight line.
>>
>>707562
all depends on the style of fly fishing.

some of my leaders are 12+ feet long, some 3 feet, some 9 feet.

"main line" or "fly line" mostly known as "running line" for spin fisshing can vary, you usually rate it on the weight of the line, some are textured, smooth, fast sink, slow sink, float, submerged.

so many different types of disciplines demand different setups.

That being said, you can pretty much do whatever you want, as long as you can get the fly to where you want it, and can fight a fish, who really cares.

Learn the normal cast, learn double haul cast, and learn roll casting, those three casts are crucial to know.

Roll casting is really nice if you dont have space to cast behind you.

Double Haul can get your line wayyy the fuck out there but is a bitch to learn.
>>
>>707575
I learned roll casting today. I need to.learn the double haul. >>707575
>>
>>707556
Yeah you're spot on with the spool tension setup. Spool tension is for casting, brakes are really for when environmental conditions come into play. Things like the wind, how dense your lure is, what shape your lure is etc. I remember you having a revo sx. The magnetic brakes are always "on" in that case, they apply uniform force until the end of the cast. Centrifugal and dynamic magnetic brakes like magforce Z, 3d, and air, all apply force at the peak of rpm and then slow down to get the best casting distance.
I don't have an educated thumb yet, but I know people who can absolutely bomb lures and can cast with brakes off. These are guys who never had the luxury of having brakes when they started fishing and called baitcasters multipliers. Practice makes perfect, and you should play around with brakes. Spool tension, not so much until you get really good.
>>
>>707371
and yet the 'pro' does it. Hopefully not C&R
>>
>>707586
All those bass tournaments are C&R. He even says in the blog post that he "thought that he wasn't doing any damage to the fish as long as he just held onto the lower jaw and didn't keep it out of the water for very long".

He's the guy who wrote:
https://www.bassmaster.com/blog/how-not-hold-hawg

Luckily he's learned the error of his ways since then.
>>
>>707557
Fly line itself is 25 pound test. Freshwater uses 20lb backing.

It's rated by weight. 1-15 The bigger the line the heavier fly it will cast.
>>
>>707420
>Hero 4 Silver and a SJ4000
I'm the anon from the last thread that was also debating the SJ4000.
Then Amazon had to email me this so the debate goes on and I still have no cam. Under $60USD
Lightdow LD6000 1080P HD Wifi Sports Action Camera Kit - 2.0" LCD + 170° Wide Angle Lens + DSP-NT96655 + Bonus Battery (Yellow+WiFi)
>>
>>707548
How is that root beer?
>>
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
I wish it wasn't so windy. This grass looks like a perfect spot for a weedless frog. Or a popper just outside the grass.

>>707583
Yeah I think I need to set those brakes a lil higher sometimes with a light lure though. Sometimes the spool will start catching up on it when I just lob the lure out.

I want to try one with traditional brakes for my next baitcaster. Revo S has regular ones but no magnetic, then once you go over $200 with Abu reels, they have the "Infini" system with both magnetic and centrifugal.
>>
>>707589
>Fly line itself is 25 pound test. Freshwater uses 20lb backing.
The test rating of fly lines and backing varies considerably, fampai

>It's rated by weight. 1-15
And also by the construction of the line and its behavior in the water.
>>
>>707599
Ever consider not buying abu? They're due for a model refresh anytime soon...I'm betting this next icast.
>>
File: rootbeer.png (4 MB, 1888x1073) Image search: [Google]
rootbeer.png
4 MB, 1888x1073
>>707596
it's fucking good. I've had a few and I'm tipsy, tastes just like rootbeer.
>>
>>707602
I'm going to do a Daiwa probably when I eventually grab another baitcaster. Or maybe a Lew's or anything that is on sale for a good deal. Next spinning will probably be Shimano.

Just saying it's strange what Abu does with their braking. Some models have magnetic, some have centrifugal and then the really expensive ones mostly have both with that "Infini" deal.
>>
>>707605
That's what happens when you outsource your reels to Korea ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Lew's reels are made in the same factory as abu. What's your price range?
>>
File: lowtide.png (3 MB, 1890x1069) Image search: [Google]
lowtide.png
3 MB, 1890x1069
>>707208
annnnnd low tide
>>
>>707603
Nice, I'll have to pick some up.
So I just found a new launch spot into 3 Bays. Only like 4 or 5 parking spots there though but found another less than 5 minutes from here with a much bigger lot.
Also town website has a Way to Water access map. We have 89 public ways to water in my town.
I'm psyched.
>>
File: BaySt2_IMG_0690.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
BaySt2_IMG_0690.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>707611
forgot pic
>>
>>707608
Really has nothing to do with the Korea thing. That is all their Scandinavian design team picking which reels to put the magnets on and which to put centrifugal on. If I really wanted centrifugal, I could've gone with the Revo S instead of the SX. I didn't even know at the time until I opened it up. I think the $200 Revo Winch is the cheapest one with both.

And as far as budget, I'll probably keep an eye out for a good sale where I can grab a reel for around $100. But I think I'm going to get another spinning reel before I grab a baitcaster. I want a nice medium reel, like ~3000 series that will run 15lb or 20lb braid. I've been keeping an eye out on the Shimanos, if a Sedona, Sahara, or Symetre is priced good, I will grab one. Otherwise I might wait and do some research and drop closer to $150 on a spinning reel.
>>
File: lowtide1.png (3 MB, 1897x1062) Image search: [Google]
lowtide1.png
3 MB, 1897x1062
>>707611
>We have 89 public ways to water in my town.
that is fucking awesome.
>>
>>707614
The tatula smokes everything in that price range. It also has a big aftermarket in regards to spools if you ever wanted to throw lighter lures.
>>
>>707615
23 of them are either boat ramps or landings for canoe/yak.
I need to figure out how to print this map huge enough to mark spots. Or find a decent road map, or find the Delormes atlas I bought when I moved here.
>>
>>707623
could you star the locations in google maps?
if you star it on your account they will stay there.
>>
>>707622
Yeah Tatula is def near the top of the list. I see Lew's go on sale a lot through Dick's and Gander Mountain and those look decent too.

As much as I stay away from store brand stuff, I wouldn't think twice about buying one of those top of the line BPS Johnny Morris combos if I saw a deal I couldn't refuse. You definitely get a lot for the money with their stuff.

I also really want to buy another Quantum reel too but some of the reviews on them are so shitty. The reels look so nice though and I have an old cheap Quantum that was my main pond fishing reel for years without an issue.
>>
>>707625
>quantum
NYET. I don't know how they got their reputation but people fucking hate them with a passion. The smoke line doesn't look too bad tho.
I think you would like the new tatula CT. Everything that made the original tat good, but in the newer zillion style frame.
>>
>>707624
I'll do that. thx
I'm having way too much fun on maps tonight.
>>
>>707642
check out BING for depth and structure, their fly over imagery is really good, then I mark those spots on google maps
>>
File: smugnick.png (115 KB, 307x307) Image search: [Google]
smugnick.png
115 KB, 307x307
>there are people that STILL fall for the Quantum meme

Just buy a nice Penn, I use my Fierce for everything from bass fishing to saltwater inshore.
>>
>>707632
The Quantum reviews vary greatly by model though. But they are either 1 star or 5 stars. So I guess it requires some reaearch.

I was interested in some of their spinning reels for $70-$100 and one of those had a lot of bad reviews. I think the Smoke reels are all good. They look incredible too, but they are pricey.

I'm not sure what I want to do. Problem is I don't really need anything right now. I just bought so much new shit in November and December (3 combos) and 2 or 3 more combos the year prior to that.

I have been looking at Craigslist a little but it is either saltwater or old stuff for the most part. When I really want to get something, maybe I will do eBay again. I got a really good deal on that Revo SX on eBay. It was strange because it was from a big online retailer but seems like they put a coulle great deals on eBay to draw attention to their regular site. And the reel was still full retail price on their site.
>>
>>707554
yup.
>>
>>707646
Idk man, I love that shitty Quantum reel I bought like 15 years ago. That thing has so many hours on it.

Like I said, it's a couple random models that seem to have one part that breaks. They look great too.

As lame as it is judging reels by looks.m, that's one of the reasons I haven't bought a Symetre yet.
>>
>>707654
>15 years ago

That's why you love it. Newer Quantum's are meme-tier trash.
>>
File: letsrock.gif (495 KB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
letsrock.gif
495 KB, 400x225
>>707140

It was 70 out today. Lake is melting like crazy. Not long now.
>>
>plan to go fishing with friend at a local lake on Sunday
>get email today reminding me of an event that I'm supposed to participate in this weekend
>can't go fishing this weekend due to event
>no time to go fishing next week either

....fuck
>>
>>707681
>Yeah I just got mouth cancer. No it's not that bad. Don't worry, I'll make it next time. You too. Buh bye.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2048x1536
Went back to the spot today. Water is lower but I still couldn't get to it without walking through a bunch of mud. On a related note, will it hurt the foam on my rods in anyway for them to get wet? I was fishing for an hour or so and it was raining, so I wanted to know if I need to dry them or anything.
>>
>>707681
I think I need to put this in the OP
>Fishing takes priority over everything except work when your personal and sick days run out
>>
>>707685
Nah, you will be fine. They expect them to get wet which is why they use that foam.

Just let them dry out so they don't get moldy and shit.
>>
>>707684
Yeah that's not really an option. I own a small business and this is an important annual event that usually leads to me making ~$10k in direct sales and provides even more valuable business contacts.
>>
>>707688
That's what I figured. It was only on some ugly stiks, so I wasn't too worried about it.
>>
>>707692
get that money bro, then go fishing.
>>
>>707698
Yeh.. I just thought the event was gonna be Thursday - Saturday like it has been for the past 4-5 years but I forgot that they changed it to Friday - Sunday this year. Oh well.
>>
So today I met this junkie kid, and he was telling me about how him and his buddies can get me pretty much anything I need from retail stores for dirt cheap. So they shoplift it.

He saw my fishing stuff and was talking about how he could probably get down on that too. I told him the only problem is if I'm going to pay money, it has to be the right size and everything. Maybe I should tell them to go grab me a dozen Rapalas for $20, and if that goes well, maybe they could try for a nice rod or reel.

What do you guys think? I would never steal the stuff myself, way too honest to shoplift. But if I could somehow explain that I want this St. Croix rod in this size and this Shimano reel in 2500 size... All for $60...

Only problem is certain retailers keep a lot of nicer stuff behind glass. But I know Dick's keeps Symetre reels hanging on hooks in the plastic packaging. And all of the fishing rods are out in the open, but it would definitely be visible when they walk out with it.

I'm 98% sure I won't go through with it. But the Symetre and a few Rapalas sounds really easy. If he came up to me with a Symetre and said "$40" I don't think I would say no.
>>
Any tips for rigging swimbaits? They always roll when I do it.
>>
File: image.jpg (30 KB, 300x372) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
30 KB, 300x372
>>707715
Really? That sucks.

I've never really had an issue with them since the jigheads always have the hole for the line at the top. Otherwise you could try the weighted hooks and rigging it like pic related.

Is your hook or jighead rigged straight? If you bent the swimbait a little bit, it could make it twist and swim strange.
>>
>>707714
i would stay clear of that shit.
>>
File: image.jpg (71 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
71 KB, 1024x576
>>707715
>>707722
And if you're using regular jigheads and the bait isn't bent or deformed, the line should keep it upright.
>>
>>707714
oof. idk man. How would they shoplift a rod? A new symetre at 40 bucks...that's a good deal.
>>
>>707644
Looks like you can zoom more w/ Google.
I think structure imagery is random depending on the tide when image was taken.
Check Moswetuset Hummock in Quincy. On Google earth just offshore slightly north you can see what looks like insane structure. Can't see it on Bing.
I'll have to compare a few other areas.
>>
>>707723
Yeah the main thing is I kinda want to go to a store and show him exactly which one to get, but then that is just asking for trouble. I could try and show him which model and size to go for online or write it down before, but even then I feel like there's a 75% chance he gets the wrong size or something.

If he could just grab a ton of assorted Rapalas though, that wouldn't be so hard. Maybe pay $2ea for them. Idk it seems like such a nice discount but I feel like I need to keep my distance if I get anything from dude but it will be hard to get the right stuff without at least showing dude the stuff.
>>
>>707714
little shit, maybe, larger shit , probably not, , thoguh IF ou were to do it th easiest way to get the rod you want without teaching thme fishing talk would be to , pick it up and move it to a different section ( ex move a st croix to shimano section ) then tell them it will be the st croix in the shimano section, , just act like youre going to buy that rod but decide againse it, theoyu would have to grab it pretty quick after you set it down as to avoid an employee moving it back but that would be easiest way
>>
>>707722
>>707726

I was just using a wide gap hook and Texas rigging it. I probably did rush and put a little bend in it or something. I'll try again once the weather is nice.

I haven't tried the weighted hooks yet. I was going to get some of those jig heads but the only ones I could find weren't very big at all. When I can make a trip to cabelas or bass pro I'll grab some.
>>
>>707714
The rapalas/mepps make the most sense but if they reek of being druggies Dick's Loss Prevention will be all over them.
>>
>>707731
read >>707732
if you aend up getting shot for cheap af hit me up i may want some
>>
>>707728
Idk if he would do a rod. I'm positive I could get that reel if I wanted though.

But some of those dudes don't give a shit and will walk out the store with a rod in plain sight. They just can't really go back to the store.
>>
>>707729
>Moswetuset Hummock in Quincy
gotta use birds eye view, disable tags, and zoom in so it gets the airplane view, also you have to use old bing.

>>707731
as someone who works in retail, bad idea, if he gets caught and you were in the store with him at some point look at what he stole you are fucked.

I wouldn't fuck with that at all, also junkies are liable to rob you.
>>
>>707731
You do know it's 2016 and EVERYTHING is on camera now. You don't want to do this. Especially if it's one you deliver to.
>>
>>707714
Pepsifag confirmed for dindu.
>>
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>707733
Hmm, not sure if it is bent or it is just the Texas rig. A jighead would definitely solve your problem. I have some nice bigger ones. Saltwater section always has a good selection of big jigheads for 4"+ swimbaits.

>>707732
That's still getting too close for comfort though. I don't want to set foot in the same store on the same day as it happens. I feel like the Symetre would be easy because Dick's has them on this Shimano display in the middle of the fishing section. And the package has "Symetre 2500FD" printed in huge text on the front.

I think that's one of the nicest reels anywhere would have that isn't behind glass or a counter.
>>
>>707746
then teach um fish talk
>>
>>707746
also if you get a symetre2500 get like 3 il buy one rom you like $35-40
>>
>>707737
>>707741
Nah if I do it, I'm not going to be anywhere near. I'm not driving him to the store or anything. He can grab it and I will meet up the next day or something.

>>707735
I'll let you guys know. I either want to do a Symetre and/or a shit ton of Rapalas. If I get a bunch of Rapalas, I can send out some love to people.
>>
>>707746
I'll try it again on the Texas rig and see how it goes. I saw a couple videos on YouTube of people rigging them that way. The walmart/gander/academy near me doesn't stock saltwater stuff mostly, so I'll have to go to cabelas or bass pro.
>>
>>707750
dude, just avoid it. it's a bad idea.
>>
>>707750
>>707755
it is a bad idea, but i wont turn down a free lure
>>
>>707751
They still gotta have some larger 1/4oz jigheads...

Otherwise try to thread the hoom right down the center of the bait and keep it straight. With those weighted hooks, I will sometimes run the weight inside the body of the bait so it isn't really bottom heavy and the knot and line isn't at the very top like a jighead but they still swim fine.

Do you use a swivel? I wonder if that makes a difference.

>>707747
>>707748
If I see this dude again, I'm going to ask a little more about it. I want to see what the pricing will be like too. He might only want to do expensive stuff so he can actually make some money on it. If that is the case, then I need to figure out how he can get me a Stradic.

But dude is a junkie, so if I catch him on the right day, he will probablt grab a ton of cheaper stuff just to get $30 or $40 cash.
>>
>>707758
be safe nigga
>>
>>707714
Knowingly buying stolen items is a crime. Just sayin.
>>
>>707755
>>707756
I also have another scheme to make $2000 really quick that I keep contemplating.

Basically I go to some doctor's office, fill out a bunch of paperwork, and they bill my insurance for a few months of physical therapy and massages and give me $2000 cash.

I guess a ton of my coworkers and I think even my boss has done it.
>>
>>707764
well you probably don't want to brag about that on your Korean image board.
>>
>>707758
>dude is a junkie
They are good at the whole game. Gonna depend on the climate at that particular store.

Typical junkie game is to steal and you are allowed $x amount of returns without receipt every month. They play it to the penny.
>>
>>707764
just lost a lot of respect for you
>>
>>707766
This is Florida. It's one of those things where "everybody does it".

>>707768
Ehh, I'm a sucker and too honest which is why I haven't done it yet. Basically everybody I work with has done it. Just seems so easy and an extra $2000 would be nice. Dude is always still asking me about it. And that's about as close to a free $2000 with no strings attached as you can get. And all those dudes go to the place like twice a year and they bill em for another few months of therapy.

I need to start being more of a degenerate.
>>
>>707768
And anybody who gets that offered and doen't at least think about it is either loaded as hell or lying to themselves.

Like I said, pretty much everybody else has done it.
>>
>>707771
>It's Florida
understatement of the year. Total crap hole. I almost moved there and thank myself every day for not moving.
>>
>>707774
I'll still take it over the Chicago suburbs for all but like 2 months out of the year.
>>
>>707774
Meh. That all depends on where you are in the state. I enjoy visiting the keys, and would move there in a heartbeat
>>
I'm going to have to downgrade my assessment of Pepsifag from "dindu" to "nigger from nigger africa".

I mean seriously, man, what the fuck? Don't you have any sort of moral compass or system of ethics? Don't you want to be better than the people you're surrounded by? At this point you're sounding more like a junkie than anything else.
>>
Fished my junky neighborhood pond for the third day in a row after work

>>707522
>slam the lure into the water or nest it up.
Those two outcomes tend to go hand-in-hand.

If you're slamming it into the water you're releasing way too late. Start practicing releasing earlier than normal. Much earlier even. The worst case is you'll throw a high arcing lob of a cast that doesn't go very far forward, but that'll help you develop some thumb control. During the lure's ascent, before it peaks and starts coming back down to the water, it'll be consistently losing speed. At the same time your spool will still be quickly spinning, trying to feed line out. When the lure isn't moving fast enough to keep tension on the line and keep up with spool is when the spool can overrun and you end up with a birds nest. During a cast you'll need to practice gently thumbing the rotating spool to reduce it's speed as the lure slows down. At the same time you can practice letting go a little later each time. That way you can start to feel out how the lure speed and need for thumb breaking changes as you remove height from the cast and introduce more forward momentum. Eventually you'll feel out your preferred balance between forward momentum and height, and the braking will just come automatic to you.

>>707541
Assuming you do the same and just failed to mention it but I usually turn the brakes all the way down prior to setting tension. That aside I do pretty much what you've described.

>>707556
>So when do the actual brakes come into play?
During the same instances I mention thumb braking up above. Also during the initial release of the cast to keep the spool from speeding up too quickly and going into an immediate backlash the second you take your thumb off.

>>707602
>Ever consider not buying abu?
ERR: DOES NOT COMPUTE
>>
>>707758
>They still gotta have some larger 1/4oz jigheads...

Nooooope. I walked through my local ganders fishing section 3 times looking for them. All they had is smaller ones. I'm not really too worried about it. I don't normally have luck with bigger swimbaits, but I like to waste money on fishing gear and try new things.

I haven't tried using a swivel. I might throw one on there next time I get a chance.
>>
File: poppers.png (2 MB, 1905x1060) Image search: [Google]
poppers.png
2 MB, 1905x1060
>>707780
oh man baitcasters seem daunting.
>>
>>707777
Checked

>>707778
Heh, if that's what you think.

Except for the fact that I'm like the only person who hasn't done that insurance scam.

Not sure about that whole junkie shoplifting scheme, but like I said earlier 98% chance I won't do it. If he did somehow obtain a $100 fishing reel out of the blue and only wanted $40 for it, I don't think I would say no. But I really don't want to get involved with anything like that.
>>
>>707786
haha tell him to start lurking the fishing threads to get schooled on good product

but seriously, I would avoid that shit, it's asking for trouble or getting robbed
>>
>>707776
>over CHI suburbs
hell yeah
>>
>>707777
quads check'd
I hate heat. It would have been a HUGE mistake.
>>
>>707714
Dude, just no
>>
>>707780
>Fished my junky neighborhood pond for the third day in a row after work

...and got caught up in replies and failed to finish typing about it. Anyway the past few days have been progressively warmer and the weekend sounds like it's going to be choice (probably will hit one of the creeks or bays off the Potomac, perch are supposed to be running). As for the pond I haven't caught diddly, but each day has brought with it an increase in strikes. Seems entirely bluegill just nipping the claws of my football jig's trailer. Attempts at hooksets all end with a rubbery "pop" that's most likely the trailer getting yanked from a tiny mouth. Hopefully the bass start getting feisty soon.

While the catching hasn't gone good so far the fishing has still been wonderful. I've just been happy to wet a line for the first time this year. Plus the lovely weather brought lots of folks out, all in great spirits, so I got to chat with a bunch of people. Supposed to meet another angler I bumped into at the pond again tomorrow after work. He caught a little bass today with Pepsi's weapon of choice, light spinning rod and an inline of some kind. I might have to put the jigging rod away tomorrow and bring my own light spinner instead. I'll at least be able to tear up those ankle-biting bluegill.

>>707776
>for all but like 2 months
July and August? I want to fish down south something bad but it sure as shit wouldn't be in the middle of summer. I can barely stand the heat and humidity we get up here in Maryland.
>>
>>707800
>July and August?
No. It gets hotter and more humid up there in those months than it does down here. Never gets above like 88F by my house and there is always a decent ocean breeze.

It would probably be like mid April to mid May and then mid September to mid October.
>>
>>707785
I felt the same way for a long time and now that I've gotten pretty decent with baitcasters I feel kind of silly for putting it off so long. I don't want to say something corny like "it's just simple physics" but once you understand and can feel how they work you really don't need think much about it. It just becomes second nature.

And I still love my spinning rods. Barring the last three days I usually never leave the house without one. They're necessary for my lightest tackle and there are things I can do with them that I still can't do consistently with a caster. Skipping lures is probably the best example. Super easy with a spinning setup, but make a bad skip with a caster and you'll be peeling line for the next ten minutes.
>>
>>707806
yeah I'll probably get one this summer to mess around with, or give it to my lady and see how pissed off she gets haha
>>
>>707780
>Those two outcomes tend to go hand-in-hand.

I've definitely found that out lol. Like I said I can side arm it pretty damn good. I've been trying to release it earlier like you said, but everytime I do that i release way too early. I guess I just need to practice casting only that way one one day until I get it. I think I also try to release it like a spinning reel and I let go of the spool completely, so that doesn't help any.
>>
>>707785
>>707809
You really don't own a casting reel?

They are nice I guess, but I still prefer spinning reels like 9/10 times. There is something nice about hooking a decent bass on the baitcaster.

I need to keep working with my baitcasters though and fine tuning the brakes and tension. I'm still not completely comfortable with them. I still won't use a casting reel in the dark and my casting accuracy isn't as good as a spinning reel.
>>
reminder that tomorrow LTB and MTB ship.
Inshore and trout boxes on the way...
>>
>>707818
nope never had interest in it, and no need for it really
>>
>>707819
Don't remind me. I wanted to upgrade to the "Pro" MTB Bass Box but I was too late. I hope the regular one is decent. I will probably do Pro for April.
>>
>>707821
I figured you might at least own a big round one for saltwater or something.

Casting accuracy has been the biggest leap for me. Compared to a spinning reel, you have to let the line go a little bit earlier for some reason. If I try to cast it like a spinning reel, it will go way to the left (right handed).

If I use the casting reel all day, my casts will be pretty good. But if I have been using spinning reels a lot and go to toss a big crank out on the baitcaster, I will probably throw it a little to the left the first couple times.
>>
>>707819
Completely forgot. First month of three for LTB's Bass XL. Can't wait to see what it'll contain. Having seen what folks have gotten so far from MTB's Pro Bass pack I might need to sign up for a few months of that too.

I'm actually holding my breathe that there'll be a chunky swimbait in this first box. I know I want to put together a swimbait setup and start throwing things like Huddlestons or those Jackall Gantarel lures but I wasn't sure if I'd start this year or next. I just finished putting together a heavy frogging combo which set me back a bit. At this point I don't think I'm gonna put together another combo this year unless LTB or MTB twists my arm. I have too many rods as it is.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>707827
Is the XL like the MTB Pro? $25 instead of $15? Anxious to see what you get.

I hope MTB gives me at least one decent crankbait in the regular box. Looks like they put some effort into it though.

Somewhat related, I tried casting that Booyah thing I got in the box and it was a lil too big for me. Seems like it would be better as some sort of trolling rig. Softbaits were also pretty giant for normal bass fishing. When I go to the lake with nothing but 7lb bass, I will use them.
>>
>>707831
>Is the XL like the MTB Pro? $25 instead of $15?
Yeah, at a single month it's $23.95. $23.33/mo for three month increments. The cheapest it gets is $22.75/mo if you order by the year. It's supposed to contain "over $30 worth of baits." They also throw in a $5 Tackle Warehouse card and a copy of FishHound magazine each month but I think those come with the regular Bass Box too. If you shop through Tackle Warehouse at all, and I do, then it's more like $20/mo. Of course then you've gotta spend more dosh over at TW which isn't hard to do because they stock a lot of neat (and expensive) shit.
>>
>>707825
>Casting accuracy has been the biggest leap for me.

accuracy isn't an issue for me, but I'll try one out.

>for saltwater
nah just BIG ol' spinning reels.
>>
>>707837
I don't have a problem with accuracy on the spinning reels, but when you go to a casting reel it is very different for some reason. If you buy one, you will see what I mean. It will take a few casts to get used to. Regular side-arm casts, you have to let the line go probably 15* earlier in the motion. Maybe even more.
>>
File: CcRcfKrWEAAb9YQ.jpg (116 KB, 836x507) Image search: [Google]
CcRcfKrWEAAb9YQ.jpg
116 KB, 836x507
I have had an Ugly Stik GX2 Spinning Rod (6' Light 2 Piece) for about a year now and the reel that it came with is complete garbage. What is a good reel for this that's lightweight to carry on hiking trips? I mostly fish out of lakes and ponds catching trout and small catfish up to 10lb. Budget is $100.
>>
>>707935
For cheap spinning reels I really like the Abu Garcia Cardinal reels. They're a great buy at ~$40.
>>
>Haven't been fishing since I was a teenager
>Been reading a lot of Hemingway, he romanticizes fishing a lot
>Really have the urge to go fishing all of a sudden
>Go out with dad into the bush
>Stand still for hours in the hot weather, smelling bad and getting bitten by mosquitoes
Maybe Australia isn't the best place for it, I'll stick to hiking
>>
>>707941
Where abouts were you fishing?
>>
>>707945
Sunshine Coast in Queensland
>>
>>707946
Near Noosa Heads? Good fishing there.
>>
File: Lake_Weyba_(2099873732).jpg (491 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Lake_Weyba_(2099873732).jpg
491 KB, 1024x768
>>707948
Grew up in Noosa Heads, moved to Brisbane for uni about two years ago. We used to go yabby pumping and catch bait for dad in Lake Weyba. He usually takes his boat out over Sunshine Reef or Laguna Bay when he goes fishing, but I get tremendously sea sick so we went in land to one of the lakes
>>
>>707935
10 or 20 sized okuma
>>
>>707603
What the hell is rootbeer?
Ive always wondered this shit?!

>>707685
Hardly think so. I wash down my shit and some of the foam always gets wet.

Am i a meme for keeping the protective foil over the cork grips for as long as it will stay on?

>>707771
Aight my dindu, just know that junkies will sell you out too. And you would possibly be pictured as an accomplice if he got caught.
As for the 2g, eh. I aint all big on fraud, but then again i was raised an honest man. Maybe too honest for my own good too.
Although i have to say, everyone talkin shit about "lost muh respikts for yuuu" is spineless as fuck.
Although, considering those things aint nothin to be proud of either.
>>
>>707941
Dude yall got some mad sea fishin, wtf
>>
Ice fishing with minor equipment.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jo28cB4gh_0
>>
>>707777
I've always said that everyone in the Keys has something to hide. Alot of shifty folks down there.
>>
>>707972
>ice fishing on a frozen lake
obviously

I enjoyed this very much, didn't catch that the first time I watched though.
>>
File: 815QVU3c+YL._SL1500_.jpg (296 KB, 1500x1203) Image search: [Google]
815QVU3c+YL._SL1500_.jpg
296 KB, 1500x1203
what yall niggas know bout the banjo minnow?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7QwteLR4fs
>>
>>707991
That packaging
>>
>>707991
It looks like an expensive drop shot kit.
>>
>>707935
Damn you can go pretty nice for $100. Shimano Sahara, Sedona, or Symetre. Like people mentioned, Abu Cardinal or Okuma Stratus for closer to $40. Otherwise you have Pflueger Presidents for $60, and the LE for $70-$80. Abu Garcia Orras, also a bunch of Lew's for around $100.
>>
>>707991
>banjo minnow?
as seen on TV
'nuf said
>>
>>707991
>Everything You Need To Catch All Fresh & Saltwater Species In Virtually Any Water Condition

Seems like false advertising to me. That old saying "that lure is designed to catch more fishermen than fish" probably applies here. They'll likely work just fine for some species of fish though.
>>
>>707991
Just get a variety of softies
>>
>>707991
I bet i can catch more fish with a basic curly tail jig. Fish dont care if it was on tv
>>
>insurance scams and shoplifting

I never knew pepsifag was such a piece of shit.
>>
>>708159
Yeah, pretty trashy IMO
>>
>>708159
As someone said earlier, i lost a lot of respect for him
>>
>>708159
I know, right?

So many opportunities I haven't taken advantage of.

And I never even mentioned the battery recycling hustle that ended up on a 120mi police chase.
>>
>>708162
>imblyign there was any respect to begin with

Man, I need to hit up some of these lakes by the big highway interchanges. There is a nice one on 595 and 75 and it looks like I could pull my car off into the grass no problem.
>>
>>708172
Do you ever get hassled for fishing in these random lakes/ponds? Do cops or property owners or whoever ever confront you and tell you to GTFO?
>>
>>708175
I haven't had an issue in years and years.

Back in the day when I still lived up north, there was one lake in this apartment complex full of seniors and they would bitch and moan. But most of the places I go to these days have "no tresspassing" signs but they are commercial and industrial areas and as long as I don't look sketchy or cause trouble they don't have a problem.
>>
>>707332
Yeah, pick a child up by the jaw and I doubt they will complain.

Support the belly you fucks, and stop taking shitty vertical photos and videos.
>>
File: 1374100399489.jpg (37 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
1374100399489.jpg
37 KB, 480x640
What are your pet peeves when fishing?
>find nice quiet spot out of the way
>someone comes along and asks if I caught any fish (me and a friend call them (GAF'ers)
>they decide to stick around for 30 minutes-an hour just constantly talking shit, by the end they aren't even talking about fishing, just random shit
>they are completely oblivious to one worded replies and my focus being on the fishing the whole time
>too nice to tell them to go away

I don't mind a quick convo with other fisho's but fuck off dude, if I wanted to talk for long stretches to random people I'd just go to a pub or something.
>>
Going to CO in April, from the 27th till whenever.

Going to start in Crested Bute and work my way down to Gunnison, camping as I fly fish.

Anyone in that are have any tips for fishing/camping.

Anything is appreciated
>>
>>708202
But what about smaller fish? Vertical photos have their place too senpai
>>
>>708213
Smaller fish would no doubt still feel it, bodies aren't designed to be picked up by their heads.
>>
File: 792175-monster-bluefin-tuna.jpg (34 KB, 316x421) Image search: [Google]
792175-monster-bluefin-tuna.jpg
34 KB, 316x421
>>708213
>Vertical photos have their place too senpai

Photo's rarely, videos never.
>>
>>708212
Still a chance of snow at that time of year.
>>
>>707976
Yeah some of the locals I've met seemed a little off putting, but I've always just assumed it was the typical hating tourists thing. I don't want to have any interactions beyond the person I'm buying things from at the store. The neet lifestyle in the keys would be magical... Provided I have about a million to live on after I buy a place. Retirement man.
>>
>>708220
>chance of snow
yeah but it will also be 70 the next day most likely. My company has an office just outside Boulder. I'm afraid to visit because I'd probably fall in love with the area.
>>
>>708219
Goddamn nice tuny
>>708220
Yeah fully expecting the snow. Renting a care, and I have friends with boats for floating down the river. Just curious about the fishing, if anyone here has experience with the hatches, and what I should primarily be using for flies, I have a general idea, but would like to hear from someone in that nrck of the woods.

Also is the oxygrlen change really as brutal as everyone says?

Also what's the states stance on camping? And fires, do I need a stupid stove, or can I build fire in a responsible manner?
>>
>>708212
Have fun freezing to death and only being able to fish tailwaters.
>>
>>708236
Some intredasting facts
>guy is host of popular fishing show in Australia
>spent days hanging around a Giant trolling ship to get a decent hookup
>Pictured Tuna took 34 hours straight to hook and wind in
>the Reel he used was the most expensive Commercial Reel at the time, a $10,000 Fin-Noir or something
>spooled with 140 pound mono IIRC
>all they took from it was a fingernail sized piece of bone from its head to determine the radiation levels the Tuna received in its migration from near Fukushima to northern New Zealand (radiation levels were extremely high)
>if the fish wasn't irradiated it would have sold for over $700,000 on the Japanese fish market

Most people I know think he's annoying but man that is some dedication to fishing.
>>
>>708239
This is what I figured, I have family there so camping will be minimal and I do have appropriate cold weather gear (I camp a lot in the winter up here)

Going mostly to visit family, but have full intention of spending time on rivers, regardless of making a catch or not.

Thanks for verifying the cold and focusing on tailwaters
>>
>>708236
What elevation are you going to be at?

I've been to Breckenridge a few times, and around 9000ft, it isn't too noticeable unless you are doing something physical. Although my mom always gets a little altitude sickness the first few days but she is old and smokes.

At 13k-14k feet, any physical activity and I'm out of breat in a minute.
>>
>tfw fishing threads are the new knife thread
I like it.
>>
File: 20160310_141231.jpg (844 KB, 2048x1350) Image search: [Google]
20160310_141231.jpg
844 KB, 2048x1350
Picked a few things up.
>>
>>708395
>comparing fishing threads to knoife threads

I am offended. These are far more quality.
>>
>>708298
Not sure yet, mostly going to spend my time in valleys

>>708395
Knives and fishing, not much else you need in the world besides some good pussy
>>
>>708418
>not much else you need in the world besides some good pussy

Add a Mossberg 500 A or C and a .308 bolt gun and you've got all your bases covered.
>Shotgun for home defense, birds, and smaller game
>Rifle for bigger stuff like deer and hogs
>>
>>708411
I think the people in the fishing threads tend to use their stuff a little more as well. Most people in the knife threads only really use their knives to open packaging that their new knives come in.

Whole point was there are like 5 other fishing threads right now.
>>
>>708410
You like those split-tail flukes? I always seem to have better luck with the fat tails that vibrate.

Fancy hooks too.
>>
>>708450
4CHAN MAKES FISHING COOL AGAIN

Seriously though. It's crazy.
>>
>>708454
When was fishing ever not cool?
>>
>>708525
When was 4chan ever cool?
>>
>>708527
Never. All it does is rustle my jimmies.
>>
>>708450
>Most people in the knife threads only really use their knives to open packaging that their new knives come in.

That made me chuckle.
>>
>>708539
You know it's true. Lots of collectors. I still kinda want one of those Esee knives and a decent folder, but I'm not trying to become one of them. Skeletool I actually use all the time when fishing, the Kershaw is my bigger tackle box knife, and the little CRKT is my little EDC when I feel like I need a knife for something. I also use the CRKT to chop up fruits and veggies for my bunny because I'm a man and the only knives I have in my silverware drawer are butter knives and steak knives.

But then I bought that bigger CRKT because it was a great deal and the knife threads make big fixed blades look cool, but I haven't used it for anything. It is sitting on my coffee table. The $17 Kershaw with the grippy orange handle is much better suited for stabbing snakeheads with.

Then I have my assortment of knives I have somehow obtained over the years. Shit that somebody leaves in my car and never wants back. And a neat lil switchblade I bought for $10 at some U-Haul rental place. 440 Stainless ya boy.
>>
>>708453
Honestly I've never used either. I just picked one. And not really fancy they're just 4/0 octopus hooks I got for live baiting pike and smaller cats

I just had a thought
Double hook dropshot rig
>>
>>708724
A drop shot with two flukes? Sounds fun.

And those ones you got should be fine. But if I'm fishing those split tail ones, I normally do a beetle spin or those jigheads with the blades for some extra vibrations if the water is murky at all.

Just make sure you rig them real straight on the hook. The split tail minnows have a tendency to spin on me if I don't rig them directly down the center. Moreso than the swimming tail ones. Still not sure why that is.
>>
>>708573
Yeah, I have several knives and all but I just can't justify spending $100+ on a single pocketknife that I'm gonna carry and use everyday... I use my knife as a tool and don't shy away from cutting shit that will really dull the blade or even using the knife as a screwdriver if I need to occasionally. A decent $30-$50 pocketknife is all I need.
>>
>>708454
hey mainebub not related to what you posted but what flies would you reccomend i have for the coming crappie spawn? all i can think is woolybuggers. and what sizes should i get if i want them to total an inch long, maybe shorter? 8?
ive really got no idea how to tackle this. usually the crappie i get are 3-5 feet down during the spawn btw
>>
>>708756
ive bought knives that cost anywhere from $20 to $200 20 knives dont keep an edge for shit , 35-40 knives are great beaters but once again dont keep a edge for long they dont have as gereat quaity of steel, the sweet spot for knies is $80-130, nearly super steels n great craftsmanship, hold an edge much longer for daily use, though if i know im going to be abusing my knives i grab a cheaper one
>>
File: images.jpg (3 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
3 KB, 225x225
>>708764
not a clue, never fished crappy on fly.

you could try the San Juan Worm, it's simple and deadly on fish that are attracted to worms.

also crappy seem to slam small top water flies, so maybe some foam poppers? you could also try small streamers. such as Joe's Smelt, or a single hooked grey ghost pattern
>>
>>708765
Eh, I have a tri-stone knife sharpener with an oil bath and it doesn't really bother me to sharpen a knife every once in a while. If a knife's steel is too hard then I've found that it's hard to sharpen it when it does get dull.
>>
>>708774
i have a knife in aus 8 and shit i have to resharpen it alot, i have a few in 154 cm and i love it right hard enough so its keeps an edge good, but not hard enough so its alright to sharpen, getting a knife in sv110 soon
>>
>>708768
>also crappy seem to slam small top water flies

They do, but you'll also get a ton of bluegill and sunfish too.
>>
Anyone use kastking braid? It looks like it's getting good reviews.
>>
>>708251

How did they test it and what lab did they use? I've seen so many people who have no fucking clue what they're doing make claims like that
>>
fml
Cape Cod anon here. My work blocked chan. This blows.
>>
>>708779
>>708768
The sunfish are why I don't want poppers desu
I'm gonna Get a few more woolybuggers. Size 8 or 10 black and white beadhead I think. I've also heard of people supergluing soft plastics to size 12 baitholder hooks so I'll probably try that a little too. Might be a little heavy but I'm still trying it
>>
>>708912
I didn't even see myself type desu
>>
>>708912
yeah i hear about people using soft plastics,

but anything you can achieve with a plastic you can achieve with a pattern.

Also a little weight didn't hurt anyone, it makes it easier to cast to some extent
>>
>>708838
I only remember it from the show, there's fuck all news stories about the actual results.
>>
>>708834

I got a roll of 20lb braid from them. It seems to hold up fine for me.
>>
>>708035

>20$
>expensive

From what I remember the last time I bought a simple bag of senkos it was at least 6 or 7 bucks.
>>
>>707972

Thanks for reminding me how much I want a pupper. ;_;
>>
>>708985
>buying brand name senkos
look at mr. moneybags over here
>>
>>708987

I'm guessing there's a good place to get stuff like non branded plastics online? I usually just pick up a pack or two when I find myself near Dick's or Basspro.
>>
>>708988
SHOULDA
BOUGHT
IT
WHEN
YOU
SAW
IT
AT
MARDEN'S
>>
>>708988

Yum dinger. Same thing, 1/4 the price.

Took a buddy fishing today. First time out since december. Local shallow weedy pond. It was a fun time, taught him how to cast a spinning rod and work an inline spinner and a jig.

I caught one small bass. At least we didnt get skunked lol.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 57

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.