[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fishing & Tackle Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 81
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 2448x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 2448x2448
#11- "It's March!" Edition

Previous Thread:
>>699198

As the largemouth bass in Florida slow down with the warmer water, I can at least look forward to seeing what the anons in the Frozen North are catching:

I'm definitely going to play with more jigs and Texas rigged soft baits this summer. If I can run them along the bottom in deeper water, maybe I will have better luck with bass when it is sunny and 87F.

How is the dorm room rod build coming along?
>>
File: IMG_20160122_132532078.jpg (3 MB, 2340x4160) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160122_132532078.jpg
3 MB, 2340x4160
Yup, still cold up here.
>>
>>701931
Fuck that
>>
How do I get better at detecting bites with texas rigged plastic worms? I fish them by raising the rod tip to 11, letting it drop and reeling in the slack. They usually bite while its dropping but since the line is slack I usually don't know something bit it until its too late. I've accidentally gut hooked some bass.

Any tips?
>>
>>702004
>>702004
I always take up the slack pretty slow and watch the line to see if it moves like something has it
>>
>>701901
already posted in the other thread but thats soon to be totally dead so...

anyway i got these today for a dollar and looked up that theyre about 9 pound test
theyre the small size. ive got a .22lr and a quarter there for size comparison

also my phone doesnt know the difference between au and oh
>>
File: 1457025847687.jpg (432 KB, 2048x1350) Image search: [Google]
1457025847687.jpg
432 KB, 2048x1350
>>702136
forgot the pic cause im thick
>>
So it's almost 60ยบ here today and sunny, I'm about to head down to the beach and do some surf fishing.

I'll post pics if I get anything, I've gotten all kinds of interesting stuff over the past month. I'm really new at this but it's a fun new kind of fishing for me.

Anybody else surf fish here?

I use the big ass torpedo looking weight with the moveable anchor wires, it really digs in well and comes free with a yank, and some sand shrimp larvae worm looking Powerbait thingers, they work great and stay on the line much better than real sandworm larvae or any other live bait I've tried except maybe squid chunks or clam necks.
>>
File: NEVER AGAIN.jpg (4 KB, 131x150) Image search: [Google]
NEVER AGAIN.jpg
4 KB, 131x150
Okuma swivels with snap. This kind, except the swivel is not double.
Just lost a 65g (2oz) maria shore tricker jig because of it.
Chucked it some 20-25 times, the next time the damn snap part flied away with the jig, but the swivel was intact on both ends.

I hated the type of swivel that it was, but it was ok for carp fishing. (way less throwing)

Im just slightly bootyblasted because it was a 60lb test swivel snap, otherwise i am used to losing lures/hooks/leads.... Its sea fishing after all.
>>
>>701901
Ky here. Getting my fishing gear ready for the year. Restring some of my poles. Lubed up the reels, starting to talk shit to friends about whos the better fisher man. Can't wait.
>>
>>702195
Still baffled as to how it failed. I would understand if the swivel broke, or my knot failed, or if the snap was open. Shit must have just broke in half at the stress point...

Well... at least my palomar held up... which is something
>>
>tfw didn't get on the ice a single day this season and now it's getting too warm too fast
I always preferred warm water fishing anyway, oh well. I'm going to try out some new lakes around my house, and I need to hit the bluegills hard to refill the freezer for winter. I might put some bank lines out for turtles, too. I've never had turtle before.
>>
>>702203
Had turtles 2 ways. In a crock pot and fried. Both pretty good.
>>
File: bucktails.jpg (599 KB, 2048x1350) Image search: [Google]
bucktails.jpg
599 KB, 2048x1350
did it again.
>my bucktails

from top to bottom
>mystery weight and brand
>1/2 oz cbellas brand
>same
>same
>1 oz cabellas brand
>i have another one in black and white but seem to have misplaced it
>tfw theyre shit
>3 ounce spro

honestly i wish i could find a jig like the top one in weights from 1/2 to 3 because the shank is so long its really easy to put soft plastics on it without having to bite them off or have 3/4 of the bait hanging on barely hooked.
>>
Guys, a fellow recreational fisherman told me today that thinner braid will cut wedges in non-sic guides.

The rod i have has "shimano stainless steel hardlite" guides, and im gonna run Daiwa Tournament 8PE braid at 0.30mm or 60ish lb test.

Will it give me any trouble?
>>
When are you suppose to use unnatural colored soft plastics? Like the pinks, oranges, ect. No one ever seems to suggest them...
>>
>>702236
My most popular baits are an orange senko
A black body chwrtruce tail curly worm
And blak/now ight pink normal worms
>>
>>702206
I hear it's really good, apparently there's like seven "kinds" of meat, from light and dark to similar to clam.
I figure it's worth a shot, there's a perfect place for lines within walking distance of my house.

I might go ice fishing on Saturday now, my brother caught a 32 inch northern a few days ago, getting a few more of those before the ice melts would be a nice start to the fish stock. This was my first winter with a job, now I see why adults never have time to do anything fun.
>>
>>702228
I have heard that too but never had an issue. Seems like it is from old timers a lot and I'm guessing it was an issue with some sort of older rod construction. Even cheap rods with <10lb braid (so really thin line) I haven't ever damaged any guides.

>>702236
I always used to use pretty much strictly natural colored lures until I moved to Florida. A guy at a local bait shop was telling me how peacock bass prefer bright flourescent colors. So I started grabbing some chartruese and bright pink stuff. Largemouth seek to like the bright colors. I have gotten lots of them on chartruese spinners. Normally slightly murky water. Snakeheads and those mayan cichlids like it too.

One of my favorites is a Mepps with a firetiger blade (bright green, orange, and yellow) and either a yellow or brown skirt. And maybe a month ago I was at this lake with real clear water where I normally only get bites on real natural silver and gold Rapalas and soft baits. I was casting this Rapala that is black on top, bright yellow in the middle, and orange on the bottom and I caught a bunch or largemouth.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>702236
>>702245
Firetiger Rapala Skitter Pop has done really well for me too.

And I have some bright orange and yellow Gup curly tail minnows that have been great. For freshwater, they only sell them in a small ~1.5" size. But if you go to the saltwater section, you can get bigger yellow, pink, and white 3" curly tail minnows. Exact same scent. Would reccommend.
>>
Have any of you heard of actual minnows in a jar sold as bait? Some guy came into the store I work at a few days ago asking about them, he said it's real minnows preserved in something, not the Gulp stuff.
>>
>>702248
I wouldnt be surprised.
We get worms, both live and salted/preserved, and sardines in jars, as well as kinds of shrimp/prawn in some stores.

I just usually stick to frozen squid from the supermarket when i use bait. lol.

>>702245
Coolio. Seriously though, if it will cut into stainless steel guides, then to hell with braid.
>>
>>702247
Always wondered about firetiger for saltwater... Seabass/Bluefish/Amberjack and the likes...
I did have success with a red head floating magnum.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>702248
Tons of places sell bags of like 3" shad. They are in some sort of juice. I remember Walmart used to sell them, not sure if they still do,

>>702251
My Abu Cardinal SX combo, that rod has plain steel guides. I have been running 20lb braid on that for 3 years without issue. And that is a medium weight rod, so I will cast up to 1oz lures and catch decent bass and catfish on it. Only way I could see the braid causing any damage is if it is a really, really shitty or old rod and you are constantly reeling in really heavy weights or lures or crazy big game fish.

>>702252
Those MirroLures seem to use a bright yellow color a lot. I also grabbed an X-Rap that is normally in the saltwater section with a silver body, red face, and bright yellow on the top.

Pic related is a tiny largemouth oj thebRapala I described earlier that was killing it even in really clear water where the fish normally only bite very lifelike baits. There is something about fish eyesight where UV colors stand out a lot. They don't really see it as unnatural. Lots of fish have little UV spots or shine to them and I'm sure that has something to do with it.
>>
>>701931
Damn son. MTfag here and it's supposed to be 62 on Saturday
>>
>>702263
>>702247
gopro came today.

all i want to do is catch fish. i'm so jealous.
fuck this cold
>>
File: 35749.jpg (4 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
35749.jpg
4 KB, 320x240
>>702263
Eh whatever, not like i reel it in at the same angle at all times.

Think i will have to give em a go. It always attracted me. If anything it should be good for night fishing, where the seabass is most active.

Otherwise, husky jerk/cd in rainbow trout was a mad combo for my dad a few years back.
>>
>>702275
Damnit you guys and your gopros.

Which one was it? Did you get any mounts/handles/whateveryoucallthem for it?

Im making a trip to the netherlands for a show in May, and want to document it, with an action cam that can be used for fishing.
Not sure if the SJ4000 knockoff is worth/gonna last long for about 2/3 of "GoPro Hero Sessions" price.
>>
>>702285
I've used my SJ4000 as a helmet cam on motorcycles and dirt bikes for over 2 years now with no issues.

I'd advise against trying to update the firmware on them though, some people have ended up bricking their cameras when they tried to update the firmware.
>>
>>702283
I have that color Husky Jerk in a real small size. I have owned it for years and years and never really used it. Maybe I should give it a try or grab one a little earlier in the day.

Good luck with the firetiger at night. You could probably use it any time of day. Those bright colors work well for me at any time of day.

One thing that I always found odd is lots of people reccommend using jet black lures at night. Multiple fisherman as well as lure companies say use black in low light conditions.

>>702275
JewTube channel when?
>>
File: IMG20160214020415.jpg (2 MB, 3200x2400) Image search: [Google]
IMG20160214020415.jpg
2 MB, 3200x2400
Here is a fish I caught a couple days ago..
>>
>>702236
I like that stuff any time the light isn't bright. Hell I just try different colors and stuff until I hit something that works.

One stretch of river around here has fish that go for pink crap 10x as much as anything else for some reason. Who knows, it's fishing. There's an inherent mystery about this whole pursuit.

I tend to switch lures or bait if I don't get any play after working a stretch of water.
>>
>>702285
Hero4 Session, with chestmount. came with a few mounts and one of them fit my dog perfect.

might pick up a head mount.

got it for 179 [discount] so its worth it i think.

I think the SJ4000 will be perfectly fine
>>
File: image.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
FFFFUUUUUCCCCKKK!

I just had a nice largemout on, at least a 5lb fish. Fought with him for a minute, got him right up to this damn grass, watched him jump out and lost it.
>>
image.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
>>702324
... And on the next cast

Not nearly as big as that one I lost. I'm so mad.
>>
>>702328
Man be glad it's warm enough for you to go fishing, I'm so depressed right now, it's supposed to snow tomorrow
>>
>>702313
I never heard of that desu.
But me and dad pretty much pioneer most of the stuff around here. We were the first to use poppers, first to shore jig (and the only who know of it), first to use a surfcasting rod for carp-type fishing, among the first to ever use a rod.

But i will look into the whole black thing at night. What i thought was brighter colors work better in murky and dark conditions. I know that best seabass fishing was in some of the worst southern wind and rain weather when the water gets real murky and high.

Got a few rapalas and jerkbaits i want to get in the next few months before fall. Ill get a pic of my current tacklebox real quick.

>>702322
Been eyeing the session. But i guess the SJcam will do.
The discount is hella fine.
I got my current rod at a 42% discount, and some mad fine daiwa PE at roughly 50% off too.
>>
>>702328
If it makes you feel any better i spent 3 hours in steady rain with absolutely no sign of fish.
Dad had a bite on a popper though. DIdnt hook it tho.

But i just had that damn feeling that the fish was there.
Yall ever have that?
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-03-03-18-28-01.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-03-03-18-28-01.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
>>702328
Now you have a fish to look forward to catching next time your there.

My girlfriend has a bass like that in the pond the Mass state record was pulled out of.

She's gotten it to the weeds twice, and still hasn't caught it. She's always excited when we go back to that pond because she thinks it could be another state record fish, she always uses a 6wt and big buck hair poppers.

Pic related, its the pond.
>>
>>702354
That lake is right down the street from my house. I have gotten a lot of decent bass there. Nothing huge, but when they are biting, it's steady 3lb bass in this one spot.

>>702343
I feel ya. I had one of those days yesterday. And today I only got that one bass. I got a bunch of bites on that black and yellow spinnerbait with the Gulp on it. But spinners like that are rough because they are big and the fish really has to take the whole thing down to hook em.

>>702341
There is a youtube video somebody posted here a month or two ago with some kid talking about jigs. He got into it a little bit as far as deep or murky water. Imagine putting a dark black bait in front of a brown or dark green background. It actually stands out more than you would expect.

And Mepps actually says the Black Fury lures are supposed to be used at night or in dark water. Those are the ones with black blades and a couple spots on them. Maybe with that, when it comes to bright colors it can almost be like using a big silver spinner or shiny crankbait in real clear water on a sunny day. Silver baits like that in clear and sunny water actually reflect too much and can spook the fish.

>>702340
Move somewhere warm
>>
>>702004
Watch the line. When you see it twitch, strike.
>>
>>702354
Also want to add, that shit was depressing because I had him hooked good enough to fight with him for like 30 seconds before losing him. That always sucks. I have had that happen a few times before. When you get a big fish close enough to shore where they can see you, they go nuts. They either break the like, shake the hook loose, or take off for a second run and you really have to tire them out.
>>
>>702320
Nice bream, what did you get him on?
>>
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>702320
Are you an aussie?
>>
>>702366
Dude.

Black bomber 7a with red eyes is the most deadly striper lure in ealy spring, especially with murky brackish washout.

The mouths of the rivers during heavy runoff in the spring, have a nice feature inw hich the freshwater and salt don't mix, the murky freshwater sits above the salt water. This is a particular situation where black lures, especially the bomber stand out.
>>
>>702275
Make sure to get some good footage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8rb7qvwvWc
>>
>>702443
awesome video. I got a chest mount, but I like the angle of the head mount a bit more, might have to get a mount for my head.

So far I've mounted it to my dog, and brought him out tracking. Can't hunt right now for what the dog tracks. It came out well as a timelapse. Excited to catch some fish with it and see how it turns out.

I don't know what to call my channel though, and I want to focus on mostly fishing, but not stay limited to it, so until I have a name I won't be uploading anything really.
>>
>>702443
damn, this channel is pretty fucking epic.
>>
>>702446
Yeah you would be better off getting a head mount seeing as you are almost always watching where your line/lure is, if that guy in the vid had a chest mount he would have just missed capturing that duck nearly getting inhaled. Only problem with a head mount is you look like a bit of a unit but I guess it's fine if you fish/hunt in remote areas.

>>702449
Yeah I only just realized he has a bunch of other vids uploaded, gonna watch them all tonight.
>>
>>702446
Mainebub outdoors?
pretty generic name but i think it could take hold.
>>
>>702454
he fishes some really gnarly territory. Fast, murky water, with tons of downed limbs in the water, makes for interesting boat navigation and excellent fights.

>>702460
I was thinking something generic and kind of lame, I'll sleep on it.

anonangler maybe
>>
File: Katarapko.jpg (253 KB, 1327x762) Image search: [Google]
Katarapko.jpg
253 KB, 1327x762
>>702465
That's pretty much the entire Murray river system and all its creeks for you, Snags every where, most are marked but you have to be really careful if the water drops, which I found out the hard way.
>>
>>702465
anonangler will make it hard to do non-fishing stuff

maybe just anon outdoors
or anon goes outside
>>
File: dog.png (3 MB, 1504x847) Image search: [Google]
dog.png
3 MB, 1504x847
>>702471
true.
>>
File: lake.png (1 MB, 1080x1009) Image search: [Google]
lake.png
1 MB, 1080x1009
Spent the last 5 months waiting for the lake to freeze, now just want it to thaw.
>>
>>702465
>name mainebub
>>
File: dog2.png (2 MB, 1509x847) Image search: [Google]
dog2.png
2 MB, 1509x847
>>702501
yeah it's that or another name I have in mind
>>
I LOST A BIG TARPON REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jo28cB4gh_0
>>
>>702533
Now that is how it's done [pickaxe & pinebow]

I enjoyed that, looking forward to more.
>>
>>702228

might be a problem with old shit-tier rods that were already beat to shit, but anything vaguely modern should be fine.
>>
>>702366
Im gonna get shrimp gulp when it warms up, and my bank account cools down a bit too. Unluckily they only come in bags, so i wont have enough to give my rapalas a dip.
Ive never had an issue with bigger lures, but wobbblers and jerkbaits have two or mire trebles so i guess its easier.

Ill get some dark funky colored lure then and see if it does me good.

How do you do with soft plastics? I see some people use real tiny minnow/shad kinds. I got savage gears real eel, and a pair of 16cm shads and 19cm sandeels.

But even with the little standard ones, i never really "felt" them. Maybe i just need to wait for the actual season to start in order to judge them.

Also fuck you guys. I cant get husky jerks or original floaters in Rainbow Trout in europe, and ebay shipping costs more than the damn lure. And the biggest original floater is size 13.... Yall get 18, which makes me drool.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 2448x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 2448x2448
>>702591
They don't sell the big oblong shape jar of the shrimp with all the liquid?

And what do you mean by "feel"? I like the paddle tail minnows and flukes a lot, as well as curly tail minnows.
>>
>>702603
Nah jist bag.
There is another store holdin eels in a jar 15cm/18pcs or 20cm/10pcs for 28/36 bucks respectively.
There are bags with that shad on the right in your pic, sardine smell, at 8 bucks, 3 pcs.

I didnt mean i dont feel the action, which i dont either but using mono and a 28-75gr rod might not be helping. I meant i never really was "feelin it" (as a slang expression) with softies. Maybe i just need to catch something with one lol. Or maybe straight retrieve isnt good enough.

Package finally came in, pic soon.
>>
File: received_10209051167095015.jpg (26 KB, 480x744) Image search: [Google]
received_10209051167095015.jpg
26 KB, 480x744
>>702649
>>
>>702660
What brand are those firetiger shads?
>>
>>702684
Apparently daiwa duckfin shad, iirc
>>
>>702684
>>702721
The prerigged one might also be daiwa, but ill check when i get home.
>>
>>702541
actually i think thats a maddock
>>
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Got my sign...
>>
>>702738
that is fucking awesome

>>702725
yeah i realized that after posting, thanks for the correction.

Just scouted out my new backyard saco river backyard access. I'll post photos. I now have a stream that dumps into the saco that has a healthy population of small native brooktrout, and direct access to the saco which is about 1.5 miles upstream from Saco Bay and Biddeford Pool.

gonna be a good summer.
>>
File: newbackyard.png (3 MB, 1644x920) Image search: [Google]
newbackyard.png
3 MB, 1644x920
>>702742
forgot pic
>>
>>701901
Midwest here. Im going on my 3rd fishing trip of 2016 today. So far ive caught a single crappie in a shallow pond.

This year im going to up my crankbait game
>>
Any southern Illinois fags in here? I'm gonna be getting some crappie fishing done at rend lake in a couple weeks.
>>
File: received_10209052958339795.jpg (45 KB, 888x1184) Image search: [Google]
received_10209052958339795.jpg
45 KB, 888x1184
Went to college... Ended up buying q lure

I disgust myself sometimes
>>
What're some good crank baits? I wanna start using some but I don't know which ones are good and they're kinda pricey.
>>
>>702738
kicking

>>702781
Rapala
a
p
a
l
a
cant go wrong with the rapala original in the colour of pic related
i know a guy who litterally only fishes that lure and he recently wore almost all the paint off of one.
>>
>>702781
Yup, Rapala are GOAT. Can't go wrong with some Strike Kings or YoZuris. But Rapala has the best selection. Always gotta check the clearance bin too.
>>
Cape Cod reporting in before I get banned again.

Was so close and snow today. Update on the kayak is I have power for the Garmin now. Using a 12V motorcycle battery and got a great bussbar set from West Marine. Will post pic once I have the Garmin attached to the electronics box.

Found a great launch for a brackish lake that goes into a salt river. I think there may be holdover stripers in there. Only issue is there's only room for 2 trucks to park.
>>
>>702781
>>702805
forgot the pic cause im smart
>>
File: originalrapala.jpg (3 KB, 367x137) Image search: [Google]
originalrapala.jpg
3 KB, 367x137
>>702781
>>702805
>>702825
forgot it twice*
>>
>>702825
>>702827
>>702807
Okay is there a recommended size I should get for largemouth or just whatever size the baitfish where I'm fishing are?
>>
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>702843
I can't remember the sizes for shit, but if you are going with an Original shape, go for something 3"-4". Silver and gold always do work.

I been diggin the X-Raps lately. Pic related.
>>
File: snow_0686.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
snow_0686.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
grrrrrrrr, tease me with 50's-60's and then this.
>>
>>702874
Thank you! I normally use spinner baits and soft platics, but I'm tryna try new things
>>
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>702883
You just can't get the action of a Rapala with soft baits, that'ts probably the besy thing. Try a couple different ones like Husky Jerks, Original, X-Rap, etc.

Their Skitter Pop poppers work great when the bass are feeding on top of calm water too. Dawn or dusk.
>>
>>702884
sad part is, most of those will probably be lost by the end of the summer, at least that's how it is for my crankbaits.
>>
>>702843
get everything from 3 inch up. remember if a bass wants a big meal hell take one; there have been reports of 2 pound bass being caught and then throwing up a 9 inch gizzard shad in the boat.
>>
>>702884
>hard baits
>jitterbug
>its not black
shame on you! litterally half the bass ive caught if not more were on black jitterbugs.
>>
>>702891
I actually don't lose crankbaits very offen. Most Rapalas don't dive more than a foot or two down and I will only use a diving one if I am positive I'm not going to hook it up. I lose like 10 spinners to every one crankbait I lose.

Plus if I'm running 20lb braid, I have a good chance of ripping a hook off before breaking the line.

>>702901
I haven't used that Jitterbug in years ans years.
>>
Recommend some good you tubers, I like Flukemaster and jojobarz and that other asian guy but its kinda off to pic for me because eurofag and wanna fish salmon, trout and pike and similar.
>>
>>702921
thats cause its not black
ive not fished one in years either because i have not been able to find a black one in the stores near me, and i cant (yet) justify the drive to gander mountain for something that might not be there.
>>
>>702921
yeah I use mono on my small spinners, and I fish pretty heavy brush. I tend to lose them pretty often. Thinking of spooling my 2.5k with braid this summer for that reason.

>>702932
Jon Skinner [duh]
surfcasters journal

I've been getting into Jared Jeffries, and Modern Fishing. He does pretty much strictly lure fishing, and showcases different fishermen from around the world. I really enjoy his fishing style.
>>
Just got home and now I'm trying to figure out where to put this big ass Busch sign. I was thinkin the garage, but my living room is basically a man cave so I might as well do it somewhere in there.

>>702937
You should def put some 10lb braid on there. I have a handful of spots where there are thick weeds all along the shore until like 10' or 15' out, so I always have to rip through the weeds on the end of the retrieve. I try to just rip the lure across the top, but when I get a fish or snag some weeds, I can always get through it with 10lb or 15lb braid.
>>
>>702937
Thanks, its all cool stuff and I follow hem now but I am looking for something more about inland fishing, lakes, rivers etc desu
>>
>>702967
Niggas on da river is a great series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxW_LPMcY8Y
>>
>>702967
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WX6AgeA3ZiY

underwater ireland is pretty awesome too.
>>
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>702328
>>701901
After looking at these pics, am I the only one who notices how dark the top of these bass are? I've always been confused with the difference between Largemouth Bass and Florida Bass. Can't figure it out but those largemouth seem a bit deeper than the largemouth I would get up north.
>>
>>702999
checked
and the only thing i can see that looks different is the large mouth looks a little thicker
>>
>>702976
Not the biggest fan of black people being niggers
>>702996
This is awesome man thanks!
>>
>>703002
I'm just gonna say they are the same fish. I'm curious though if they are rare fish and kinda secluded in a few water systems. Or if the Florida Bass is a fairly common fish, then like 98% of them have to be hybrids with regular largemouth. I either need to research further or just ignore it.

I guess the Florida Bass is the state fish.
>>
>>702932

Jon B's channel is really entertaining for younger anglers.

You would probably like The Totally Awesome Fishing Show (TAF). Bunch of old Brits talking about fishing lol.
>>
>>703045
TAF is pretty awesome.

They do a episode about a tuna fishing surf caster that is pretty fucking gnarly.
>>
File: image.jpg (110 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
110 KB, 1024x1024
I just ordered some of these. Has anyone tried them?

http://doomsdaytackleco.myshopify.com/products/doomsday-turtle-3
>>
>>703014
>>702999
Florida Largemouth and Northern Largemouth are just 2 different varieties of the same species. Here in TX our fish and wildlife dept exclusively stocks 100% "Florida strain" LMB in all of our reservoirs, and even the ShareLunker program only accepts bass with 100% Florida genetics. The "Northern strain" was native here but it's been determined that the Florida bass actually grow faster and larger in our area. The Northern and Florida varieties interbreed freely and the hybrid offspring shows better growth characteristics than fish with 100% Northern genetics.
>>
thinking of going out fishing tomorrow nearby , too cold to take the kayak out and the river is tecnially closed for trout fishing but should i go an pull bluegill and perch out all day long?
>>
Anyone else think bass look ugly as fuck? I can't be the only one.
>>
>>703064
Nah, they don't look that bad, there are much, MUCH uglier fish than bass.
>>
>>703062
or i can go for a long ass walk and try to target some white perch
>>
>>702937
>John Skinner
I thought I had read he was going to be speaking at MSBA Expo in Hanover (msba.net) but they aren't listing him. 1st weekend in April.
>>
>>703062
Go for it
>>
>>703080
i think i may go for a longer walk and try to get some white perch aswell on a small pond off the river, though ive never targeted them before i also have no b ait so that may be an issue
>>
>>703077
would love to see him speak. youtube is the next best thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9i9v0ocpWs

his large rod is interesting, I want to do a built like that.
>>
How can I get started fishing for trout?

Can anyone recommend good books for trout fishing the East coast as a beginner?
>>
>>703084
btw SCJ is doing a free 7 day trail, which lets you watch their SJTV episodes, they are pretty awesome.

surfcastersjournal.com
>>
>>703083
Just use any lure that resembles a minnow or small baitfish. If you can catch a crappie with it then you can probably catch a white perch.
>>
>>703084

Hes gonna be at a tackle shop by me tomorrow from 10-4pm. I'm probably not gonna go cuz I'll end up spending a few hundred dollars lol.
>>
>>703114
i dont hae many small plastis, maybe a kastmaster or spinner or something
>>
File: 2016-03-04 23.44.19.png (601 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
2016-03-04 23.44.19.png
601 KB, 1080x1920
>>703115

Oops
>>
File: skinnerkit.png (2 MB, 1916x931) Image search: [Google]
skinnerkit.png
2 MB, 1916x931
>>703115
I'm watching his interview in episode 2 it's pretty interesting, you should go and ask him if he has any creek chubs for sale. He'd probably get a kick out of it.

>>703118
a nice small spinner would probably do the trick.
>>
>>703120
not sure about the pond though it was an old gravel fpond and is relitivley deep, not sure about weeds etc and im going to have to be fishing from shore, hopefully they arent too deep
>>
>>703118
>>703120
Yeah, a small spinner or spoon should work great.
>>
>>703049
>>703045
I like this, pretty based
>>
File: topkek.jpg (949 KB, 1536x2560) Image search: [Google]
topkek.jpg
949 KB, 1536x2560
>>703064
Seabass is pretty as fuck desu.
>>
>>703277
Had my alarm set for 5am to try and get out early, but went right back to sleep. It's so hard to wake up early on Saturdays when I'm up at 4am all week.
>>
>>703310
Im up at 6 every morning.
When the season gets going ill try to get some dawn action for them bluefish on poppers. Most of the videos i see online with poppers or wobblers for sea predators are early morning.

Seabass is a night kind of fish though. My kind of fish.
>>
>>703314
Forgot to turn my name on again. fuck sake
>>
>>703314
The saying is "slack tide at dawn throw your popper on."
>>
Was tryin to get my Haitian bro from work to go fishin, but always some excused.

Lazy casuals. Fishing is supposed to take priority above pretty much everything besides work and maybe sex.
>>
>>703094
Are you talking Sea Trout or Freshwater trout?
>>
>>703368
Word.
My friend saw me put on my ocean raincoat and fish in some strong wind, then later said how he was amazed at my willpower.
If you love something it aint hard. Plus bad weather = guaranteed to not have to deal with nosy fuckin people.
>>
>>703377
Also, i dont know if yall get this, but around here people who cant fish and cant into women say:
>The guy who fishes doesnt know how to fuck.
Rough translation.

And my coworker who can only eat fish but never set foot near the sea except for swimming loves to tell me this.

Its ironic tho, i mostly fucked my ex on the beach while i had two baited hooks in the sea.
Now i carry my rod around in the car so when i go on a date with the gf, i get some fishing in the dusk before we meet.
Those are the best days desu.
>>
Damn lake I was at the other day and lost that giant bass, just stopped by there again. Those fuckin bass love to hit the lure, get hooked, and then jump off after 5 seconds. Happened to me again. I have never had such a shitty rate of losing fish, especially largemouth.

Goin down south now to try some new spots in the canals.
>>
File: newbackyard2.png (4 MB, 1643x921) Image search: [Google]
newbackyard2.png
4 MB, 1643x921
had full intentions of going out and shooting first video for youtube channel.
it's fucking 9f right now so fuuck that.
>>
>>703387
9 f isnt that bad if theres no wind, i as going o go fishing for white perch but im lazy af and dont want to walk 2-3 miles
>>
File: image.jpg (116 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
116 KB, 640x1136
Anybody ever use Field & Stream rods? I think it is Dick's store brand. They have 20% off all of them. Gamder Mountain also has Abu Veritas rods for $80. That is tempting. Their selection probably sucks though. Thinkin I could go to Bass Pro, find a Veritas I like, and make them match the $80.
>>
File: cold.png (2 MB, 1914x958) Image search: [Google]
cold.png
2 MB, 1914x958
>>703392
it's pretty windy, which is why it's so cold today.
It's the last cold week though, next week will be 40-60, and just gets warmer from there.

Probably just spend the day watching SCJ and writing notes on episode format and ideas.

On another topic, what SPECIFIC things would you guys want to see, besides just raw fishing footage.

I was personally thinking if we could get around 4-5 guys producing footage, and having someone compiling and editing it would be cool. An /out/ based fishing channel, with multiple scouts having access to the youtube and uploading footage. So if you have a camera and would want to do something like that, let's start brainstorming.
>>
>>703402
If you find me some sponsors and endorsement deals, I will make some videos.

>PepsiFag's Fishing Channel brought to you by Coca-Cola
>>
>>703405
nah fuck that noise, the fishing threads here are a trove of information, I think it would be cool to translate these threads into a collection of videos and youtube channels. Maybe someone could compile a list of channels in the wiki? I know it's old as fuck but recently people have been coming into the threads asking for good youtube channels.

There also seems to be a large resurgence in fishing, a lot of people are picking it up again as a recreational activity. We could help nurture these noobs not only with threse great threads, but with a video resource.

A Sc/out/s Guide to Angling. get like 5 guys contributing videos to that channel and it would be awesome.
>>
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
I went through my dad's tackle box and pic related

>>703368
>maybe sex

I would rather fish
>>
File: BLineFeed2.webm (648 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
BLineFeed2.webm
648 KB, 640x360
>>703402
no advertisements in bideos, no shity music, good orginization of videos (playlists by freshater/salt/ or maybe by spedies, if multiple people fishing then by person as well, i could contribute if i had money for a gopro, but there isnt any SPECTACULAR fishing around here, most of my shit woud probably be perch, panfish, maybe some lmb some trout, i could attempt walleye, maybe bring my little cousin out fishing or some shit, also could maybe get some hatchery shots if i end up getting rehired there though i have 0 editing experience
>>
>>703368
for me the order of priorities is
work
fishing
guns and motorcycles tie
food
sex
everything else

>capcha
>select all the food
>various food, and cat
>select all food, including cat
>wong entry
they've obviously never been to vietnam
>>
>>703411
I think panfishing is pretty fun to watch, and there isn't much UL panfishing footage out there. Should do it up brotha

How's the fishery doing?
>>
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>703408
Ahh, he uses thos little hook keepers. I almost bought those before I started using the rubber band trick. I like the little rubber bands better. Keeps it nice and compact.

>>703406
I seriously need to learn how to set the hook. Fuck. Just lost another largemouth.
>>
>>703415
Only issue is lack of camera, plus my panfiwhing isn't so much ultralight as it is catch as many as you can in an hour as is physically possible
>>
>>703419
how many do you think you can nail in an hour?
>>
>>703420
Depends on the spot, some places 30-40
Others on a good day 200 plus especially since I tend to fish with two rods
All time record whenni was a kid was 300 plus fish in just under 2 hours (probably catching the same fishes over and over desu
>>
>>703422
wtf. that is some shit I want to watch.
>>
>>703423
Like I said alot of it is probably catching the same fish over and over since I catch and release and other days it's slow as piss to be honest
Uncle has a pond that is stocked with gills and they're stupid overpopulated
Last time I visited (years ago) I fished with three rods one in each hand and one between my knees fishing
The amount of fish I would catch per minute you wouldn't believe
>>
image.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
>>703415
I should do that with those Atomic Sunfish when they are biting good in the summer. Those things fight like crazy and are really fun to catch on lighter tackle.
>>
File: shad1.png (500 KB, 741x422) Image search: [Google]
shad1.png
500 KB, 741x422
>>703428
I go to this place called songo locks in the summer just because it's awesome for sunfish, it's also a great place to checkout sebago's juvenile bass population.

But most of my UL fishing is done during the shad run. They are a crazy fighters, and require finesse because their mouths are paper thing. It's also one of the craziest bite's I've experienced. every cast is a fish, you're fighting it in a fast tidal river, with 4lbs test, all while trying not to rip it's lip out. Makes for interesting fishing.
>>
>>703433
im going to try shad fishing because of you, this season, today fiurst attempt at white perch , ever with no bait
>>
File: minageetmackies.png (2 MB, 916x805) Image search: [Google]
minageetmackies.png
2 MB, 916x805
>>703426
>The amount of fish I would catch per minute you wouldn't believe

You should see what fishing with a sibiki on a mackerel rush is like.
>>
>>703438
i may even argue i would catch more gills per minuite then you would mackerel 2 fish per rod, 3 rods at once 6 or so fish per minuite
>>
image.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
>>703436
Shad fishing? Never done it. Caught a few back in the day while going for bluegill and stuff.

I'm starting to love this spinnebait. Traditional spinnerbaits are one of those lures that I never had much luck with. But this black and chartruese one has been killing it with big bass. Just got pic related. Gulp trailer for extra incentive.
>>
File: 20160305_123832.jpg (711 KB, 2048x1350) Image search: [Google]
20160305_123832.jpg
711 KB, 2048x1350
> get bored
> go to tackle box and dig
> find loose split ring and two small Colorado blades (I think)
> build this

Think it'll catch something? The big blade is about the size of a penny

Also I wanna make a tiny popper. Like an inch long popper for panfish that's just a scaled down bass popper because of how many topwater bites I get from panfish so I can just piss about with ultralight gear and bluegill/crappie
Inb4 those panfish popper foam things those can only be used with a fly rod
>>
File: SETTHATHOOK.png (1 MB, 1919x1079) Image search: [Google]
SETTHATHOOK.png
1 MB, 1919x1079
>>703436
it's easy fishing, and super simple tackle.
This is my old setup, but this year I'll be running a 7ft Okuma SST UL with a Sienna 1000, going that light is going to make for some interesting fishing with the shad. I caught a few on the fly last year which resulted in 30 minute fights [8ft 6wt] I really hope to do that again this year, now that my fly casting has improved greatly over the winter.

>>703440
Shad is worth hitting if you can get them while they are running inshore. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_shad

They are one of the best fighting fish imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBs-aGjr_RQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awnlXM_9mzk

This guys video is pretty sweet, but the water isn't nearly as fast and deep as where I fish them. He is using an 8wt fly rod, and it puts up a hell of a fight.

>>703443
hell yeah that would catch something.

>>703416
>I seriously need to learn how to set the hook. Fuck. Just lost another largemouth.
pic related
>>
File: shadrig.png (748 KB, 996x355) Image search: [Google]
shadrig.png
748 KB, 996x355
>>703445
>>703436
old shad rig

4500 shimano on rhino 7ft
>>
File: newshad.png (918 KB, 812x523) Image search: [Google]
newshad.png
918 KB, 812x523
>>703446
new UL shad rig
Sienna 1k Okuma SST 7ft UL
>>
Man there's a handful of peacocks right here where I'm fishing, but I can't figure out how to catch them. I just want to get a real peacock so bad. Don't even care if it isn't very big.
>>
>>703448
My real light combo is a Sienna 500 with 6lb braid on a 5'6" Ugly Stik. But I can get away with a lot of smaller tackle on my Okuma Stratus 25 with 10lb.
>>
>>703452
I was just watching a video of the 500
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIwpxw-1be8

thing is tiny, but powerful.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWRcPwYKpM4

>when the weed kick in
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnTYUPm8KG4

I want a snook winch like the one's in this video. Any suggestions? I was thinking a Penn Senator 3/0 but still deciding on a rod.
>>
File: skinneruglystick.png (1 MB, 1438x1078) Image search: [Google]
skinneruglystick.png
1 MB, 1438x1078
>>703459
can't go wrong with an uglystick
>>
>>703462
What length is that? I'm not sure if yo go with 8' or 9' since you have to wrestle them away from the pilings.
>>
>>703450
throw bright ass flourecent topwaters at them, thats how ive seen them targeted
>>
>>703463
if youre wrestling fish away from pilings length is helpful.
>>
>>703464
>>703450
litterally take your biggest brightest popper, throw it past them, then pop it over their heads.
>>
File: packingup.png (3 MB, 1641x924) Image search: [Google]
packingup.png
3 MB, 1641x924
>>703463
no idea about the rod in the pic, it just seens to be a great economic go-to if your unsure about rod selection.
>>
>>703464
I tossed one of those pink UV Rapala divers, and there were 2 of them following it but not striking. Next is either a rubber shad that has some bright yellow to it or a firetiger Skitter Pop.
>>
>>703468
skitter pop
>>
File: topteir.png (2 MB, 1889x946) Image search: [Google]
topteir.png
2 MB, 1889x946
>>703468
if they are in pursuit but not hitting, why not change your retrieve? or direction of presentation?
>>
At gravel pit for white perch
Water visibility less than a foot

Feel like I'm not going to have much luck
>>
>>703470
They didn't go for it anyway

>>703472
Using that deep diver along the shore, there isn't much I can do as far as presentation. That was the only lure they even seemed to notice.

They must be spawning or something, they were all so close to shore. Probably watching their nests. I've heard that peacock bass are incredibly picky when it comes to lures. I also heard go bright. So I have no clue.

Just got back to the car. Debating another spot in this little lake/area or the canals I was having fun at last weekened. I kinda want to try this place closer to 5pm or 6pm and see if they are biting better. But I don't want to get burnt out if I stay here all day and it's like 30-45min to get back to my house.
>>
File: IMG_20160305_141020805.jpg (3 MB, 2432x4320) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160305_141020805.jpg
3 MB, 2432x4320
>>703491
>>
>>703491
Put on a Mepps. Size 1 or 2 with a silver/gold blade. Maybe even firetiger, bass seem to love that color combo so crappie will probably eat it up.
>>
>>703494
PowerBait or Gulp grub with a beetle spin would be nice too. If you see those little 1.5" Gulp curly tail minnows anywhere, you should try those. I think that size comes in white or orange.
>>
>>703492
next time youre at the tackle shop look for something big bright obnoxioius and either surface or shallow running. if i remember right they like long and slender so...
>>
File: 16.png (3 MB, 1490x835) Image search: [Google]
16.png
3 MB, 1490x835
>>703492
yeah dusk might be best bet at this point
>>703494
can you get to the otherside? the area with the brush would provide good cover for fish.
>>
>>703496
>>703498
The big issue is casting distance it's a large body of water with no structure and I can't cast too far with small bait
>>
>>703505
put a splitshot infront of that small bait, it will run a little deeper and cast a little farther
>>
File: wearyourcleats.png (4 MB, 1426x1078) Image search: [Google]
wearyourcleats.png
4 MB, 1426x1078
Found an excellent video about fishing hard currents, great technique for rivers, canals, and most inshore. It's in-depth and technical.

https://youtu.be/RvWeiMnWtq8
>>
>>703506
Still am not getting deep enough switched over to a smaller gravel pit nearby spooked some fishb then no bites
>>
>>703510
what happened here
>>
>>703521

Wasn't wearing his korkers...I guess...ouch.
>>
>>703500
I've got a nice big Rapala SkitterWalk in firetiger. If the wind calms down in a little bit, I will toss that out.

>>703504
I'm still getting a couple bites here and there, but I think I'm gonna go take a trip to Dick's and browse a little bit and come back here afterwards. Should be around 4:30 at least.

This water is real clear as well, so I think I might be spooking them a little bit. If I go back in that area when it starts to get a little darker, maybe they will be more focused on hunting and not see me as easily. Sucks the water in so many of these lakes is really clear. I would never expect that in Florida where everything is connected by canals. I have one lake that is normally kinda cloudy, the rest are clear.

I also haven't gotten any of those Atomic Sunfish in the past month or two. Kinda odd. Last time I was at this lake, all I was catching was those sunfish. It was also the end of the summer.

And I really want to get one of those peacocks. I haven't caught one since I moved down here. So depressing.
>>
>>703528

Peacocks like it when its really hot out supposedly. Usually in the morning or late afternoon.
>>
NOTHING is biting today
Have hit 3 gravel ponds and have done nothing but spook fish and lose my firetiger roostertail to a bush
Can see gills and they just aren't biting at all
>>
>>703534
try to approach your area, prerigged and dead silent. walk softly and slow, even crouch.

try not to cast a shadow on the water, or make sudden movements.
>>
>>703535
They just sit there and don't bite show no interest
>>
>>703530
Yeah I have heard warm water. But they aren't very active early in the morning or at night. Late morning through afternoon is best.

Not sure whether to go back to the lake I was just at, check out some new canals, or hit these other two lakes I have been to a few times.
>>
>>703539
keep trying for those peacocks!
>>
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
I fell for the LiveTarget meme. I still really want to try the BaitBalls but these were 2 for $10. That's cheaper than most Rapalas.
>>
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>703560
Also grabbed another spinner with a bright blade (wanted one a little smaller like this one I have been using recently), a couple clearance jigs since there is a 100% chance I will snag them, and another larger X-Rap.
>>
>>703544
I'm going to try another place that seems promising but I haven't tried a lot.

I'm a little bit further south so there are peacocks anywhere there are largemouth. My house is near the northern border for peacock bass. They are there, but not as plentiful. If I go any further north, the peacock have a good chance of dying out during a cold stretch in the winter. But if I drive 20 min south, peacocks are everywhere.
>>
Nothing today
The fishbat yh gravel pits were slow and didn't want any lurw or live bait I could scrounge up
And while trout were jumping in the river right nearby the seaosn is closed and I couldn't bring myself to fish out of season
>>
>>703575
The visibility in the grav pits was less than a foot and all the fish were out deep
Atleast I got out for a walk today and met a couple of nice folks who thanked me for putting fish in the river basically
>>
File: Tabis-1.jpg (2 MB, 1500x925) Image search: [Google]
Tabis-1.jpg
2 MB, 1500x925
>>703510

I find that tabis work a hell of a lot better out here if you're on slick rocks. I always use them when picking opihi, or just screwing around by the cliffs etc. here.
>>
https://youtu.be/u01VBFZb_YI
>>
going to try to raise shiners this year anyone have tips?
>>
>>703379
>>The guy who fishes doesn't know how to fuck.

Never heard that one before. I tried to think of a witty comeback real quick but I'm drawing a blank.
>>
File: image.jpg (245 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
245 KB, 640x1136
This lake annoys me. This is like the 2nd or 3rd time I have been here and the most I've gotten is a good bite or two.

It seems like it should be a great little fishin hole though. Plenty of vegetation, but not so much where it is hard to fish from shore. Water is fairly clear, but murky enough where fish won't hit a Rapala because it isn't life-like enough. And it isn't overfished at all.

Maybe I'm just here at the wrong time or in the wrong spot. But I have walked along a bunch of it aside from the part by all those houses.
>>
>>703638
>so many houses

God I hate cities.
>>
>>703644
Yeah that is wild
>>
>>703644
>>703645
Not that my neighborhood is any better, but that is typical of those sub divisions. They build the houses as big as they can on those lots and they have like no yard. Gotta have that guest bedroom tho.
>>
>>703661
Yeah, I know. I'm currently living in the suburbs of a major city as well, my neighborhood isn't much better. Smaller houses with a bit more yard but still not much.

Soon I'll be selling this house and moving back out in the country where I belong... I've lived in the city for the last 8 years and I'm pretty much over it by now.
>>
File: neighborhood.png (2 MB, 1628x711) Image search: [Google]
neighborhood.png
2 MB, 1628x711
>>703661
mine is nice
>>
>>703665
That's not bad at all

>>703663
I like living in an urban area for the most part, but when I'm older, if I ever live long enough to retire or win the lotto, I definitely want to live somewhere with some acreage.

Not going to happen anywhere around here though unless you want to get real redneck. As far as Florida goes, north of Boca Raton scares me. Northern Wisconsin would be nice if it weren't for winter. Prime spot would be some random island in the Keys except I would probably want a bridge to get to US1.
>>
>>703692
Wisconsin's a bit too cold for my taste. I'm thinking about either moving back to East Texas where I'm from or somewhere in Tennessee. Tennessee has some pretty country and fairly cheap land but I'll know exactly ZERO people if I move there, I at least have some friends and family in East Texas.
>>
File: image.jpg (299 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
299 KB, 640x1136
>>703665
This was my rich friend's house in IL. He has a little creek and pond in his yard. And we used to throw little parties in the gazebo in the backyard while his parents were sleeping and they would never know. Good times.

And this wasn't some rural area either so you know this dude's dad has money. Next door neighbors had horses and the guy who owns Target lives down the street. Along with lots of other filthy rich people.

It would be nice to have property like that and still be close to a major city and schools and stuff. Only problem is you could never just go outside and shoot guns or any country shit because the rich neighbors would be so pissed off and you would have a swat team at your house in a few minutes.
>>
>>703694
Yeah Tennessee wouldn't be too bad. Or North Georgia. Somewhere with some hills and terrain would be nice. Everywhere I have lived my whole life has been totally flat.

Lots of people from Chicago and that area have been moving to TN lately because it is cheap and I guess Nashville has some decent jobs. Same with Colorado. Most of my dad's family has moved out by Denver over the past 10 years because jobs and the weather is actually nicer there than Chicago. Summer doesn't get as hot and winter isn't as cold which always suprised me.
>>
>>703699
>Only problem is you could never just go outside and shoot guns or any country shit because the rich neighbors would be so pissed off and you would have a swat team at your house in a few minutes.

Yeah, that's another incentive for moving back out in the country. I like to build stuff and shoot guns and it's just hard to do stuff like that in town. I wanna be able to have some friends over to shoot skeet and drink a few beers without getting the law called on us.
>>
File: image.jpg (148 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
148 KB, 640x1136
>>703713
My old neighbor/friend had a cabin up near pic related. It was great. Not some cushy lake house deal either. Old cabin on property his grandpa had for years and years. Next to that cabin, an older one that was kinda shitty which acted as a garage and storage. And then an even older cabin next to that one which is probably just a pile of lumber now. Nice little clearing by the cabin where we would shoot guns. Then you go down a small hill, and there is the lakefront with a mobile home for when guests come, plus a garage for ATVs and shit, and a dock with a pontoon boat and little fishing boat.

It's been quite a few years since I was there. Judging by the GPS, looks like they might have built a couple more houses on the lake which I'm sure sucks. But it's still in the middle of nowhere. 7mi to the nearest actual town with a grocery store. Quite a distance considering I have 3 McDonald's within a 10min drive from me.
>>
File: image.jpg (183 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
183 KB, 640x1136
>>703713
>>703722
Here's another neat property. Not really country where you can shoot guns and stuff, but a nice getaway from the big city.

My friend from HS, his dad (my old boss, who is probably more of a friend these days than dude I went to HS with) bought this little house in a city called Two Rivers, WI a few years back when the market was really shitty.

Anyway, this place is 2 houses down from a beach on Lake Michigan. Little two story house with a garage, finished basement, and like 2.5 baths. He only paid around $50k for this place and didn't even have to do much work to it. Nice little town too, but property was cheap like a lot of other Great Lakes cities since manufacturing in the US went to hell.

I would be down to retire in a place like that. Even though it's in a "City" it is directly on Lake Michigan, plus a couple big rivers that run through the city, and the great outdoors are 15min away. I feel bad for dude who owns the place though because he only really gets to spend time there from like Nov-Mar when his restaurant is closed. At least when I was up there helping him run his restaurant he could get up there for a weekend in July and not have to worry about the business burning down.
>>
>>703722
That sounds like an awesome setup. Hopefully someday I'll be able to buy some decent acreage out in the sticks and set up a little getaway like that.

>>703732
$50k is a crazy price for any house in decent condition. My current house cost me $70k but it was pretty much gutted (no flooring, most plumbing fixtures were gone, all walls and ceilings were painted a flat beige color, central heat/AC unit was shot, needed new gas pipes run, etc) and I had to redo almost the whole interior before I was able to move into it.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-03-05-20-33-08.png (2 MB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-03-05-20-33-08.png
2 MB, 1080x1920
>>703665

This is my freshwater hole. Its like half populated, half wild. Ive got other spots that are more wild, but less productive.
>>
>>703743

And ya know, all this of course.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-03-05-20-36-27.png (2 MB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-03-05-20-36-27.png
2 MB, 1080x1920
>>703744

Duh.
>>
File: image.jpg (210 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
210 KB, 640x1136
>>703744
>>703748
Heh, you can see where I stay in this pic and where I went today for some freshwater. Still need to start getting on saltwater.

Do people fish the intercoastal at all? It is only a couple blocks away. And the pier/beach is a couple more blocks but too crowded for my taste.

>>703737
Yeah he bought at the right time. And the fact that the house is basically on the beach on Lake Michigan is pretty nice. In that pic, it's that light blue house and right at the end of that street is the beach. Last time I talked to him, he was thinking about doing some Air BnB or something with it. I wonder if he ever went through with that.

If he tried to buy a house anywhere near Chicago that was within a couple hundred feet of the beach, it would be $1mil+ for that same size house on the same lot. Waterfront property on the North Shore is no joke. The house is about 2.5hrs driving from Chicago too, so perfect for a little 3-day weekend getaway.

Like I said though, sucks he doesn't get to go there in the summer more especially since I moved. He likes to kayak and do some photography, neither of which are quite as nice in December.
I need to get him into bass fishing so he had something fun to do in his little downtime closer to Chicago in the summer. If I go up there again and see him though, he will probably just try and convince me to move back and work for him again.
>>
File: ayyyyyy.jpg (31 KB, 251x357) Image search: [Google]
ayyyyyy.jpg
31 KB, 251x357
>>703456
>>703456
>>703456
Does this harm the fish in any way? They have gills so I don't know.
>>
>>703757
I imagine the fish received more harm from being out of the water longer and getting tossed back in hard than it did from "smoking" the joint.
>>
>>703456
>>703757
>>703758
I wonder if fish can get stoned...
>Brazil
So it was shit weed anyway. No way the fish got high.

I used to get my dogs stoned. One dog didn't care for it, but the other dog loved it. It was too funny. One time I had some hash and was blowing clouds at him and he got so stoned that he was just laying there on his back for like an hour and didn't move.

That one dog loves getting stoned though, it's funny. When I used to smoke, he would always put his face right in the pipe if it was smoldering. Or when I was about to blow out a cloud, he would lick my face.

Good times as a pothead kid...
>>
I didn't catch shit today except for a carp I accidentally snagged on a jerk bait.

What lures should I use at night? I was using a black frog popper and I got a couple bits but none of the bass would take it.
>>
>>703806
get a black jitterbug
>>
>>703819
How important is the color at night? I think my dad has one of those I can steal.
>>
>>703823
IDK about freshwater, but for salt we typically try to keep it dark at night, start with lighter shades then as the night goes on, get darker.

Hell, I mostly just use black lures at night.
>>
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>703806
Darker lures are normally reccommended for some reason.

If the water if calm and no wind, go topwater like poppers. I have a lot of luck with spinners at night too. Mepps FTW.
>>
>>703806
This
>>703819
>>703853

I think the reasoning is that predatory fish rely more upon their lateral line than vision at night or in murky waters. Jitterbugs are supposed to be particularly effective on nights with at least some degree of moonlight. They put plenty of splash/ripple into the water which the fish can track by sound/feel and on semi to fully moonlit nights they put a nice visually trackable ripple upon the water and the black makes a silhouette against the moonlight. In theory these are excellent reasons for their use at night, and widely practiced because the theory seems fairly correct.

>>703823
Most black, non-UV "Night" lures are relying more upon the fish's lateral line than their sight. Some night lures attempt to target both. Black "Night" spinnerbaits will often have oversized colorado blades on them for maximum thumping. Buzzbaits may have a larger buzz-blade on them to produce a heavier patter on the water's surface. Jigs may include attached rattles for additional noise/vibration. Similar logic is applied applied to stained/murky waters on during the day. A solid black silhouette may be more easily recognized than a mid-tone lure which might blend in with the water's stain/murk. I'll use super bright lures like whites, oranges and chartreuse in murky conditions for the same reason - they stand out more than mid-tones which can get lost in the water's color.
>>
>>703402
Im getting a SJ4000 soon for my trip in may. And to try and start youtube.

Of course id have to find a real productive spot first... But yeah id get in. Possibly.

>>703620
I just say
>Those who say that are the ones who cant do either of those things.
(sounds far less complicated in my language)
>>
Damn its high tide and cloudy weather. Calm sea in the bay. Seems like a fishable day.

Cant be arsed to go to the river mouth spot with mad brackish water as its overfished and crowded. (Still produces good catches when its the middle of the season tho)

And the usual spot is kinda not tempting right now. The creek that flows there making it good brackish fishing is not very strong rn...

Plus im tired as hell rn...
Fuckit, ill probably go anyway.
>>
>>703944
What if I got some glow in the dark paint and painted a lure with it? Would it work?
>>
>>704076
I know squid jigs are often made of glow in the dark stuff.
The kind where you hold it close to a light and it emits faint light for a few minutes afterwards.
Those worked well for me back in the day.
>>
I've never used poppers. Am I missing out?
>>
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>704095
They're mostly just fun to fish because you get to watch the fish hit the lure.

For freshwater at least, poppers seem to work early morning and when it is getting dark. If the water is calm and you can see bass jumping, toss out a popper.
>>
It's a beautiful day today gents, about to head out to see if I can't slam some big ol pickerel.

I'll be posting some fishing footage regardless if I catch or not, first day testing the chest rig.
>>
>>704095
>I've never used poppers. Am I missing out?

Yep. They're a blast. Has to be the right time of year though, usually mid-late Spring, fish are too deep by midsummer in my lakes. The shallower the water the more likely they check it out.
>>
>>704144
If your into the surf, you want a good popper in your aresenal.
>>
>>703823

I don't fish much freshwater, but I do fish almost exclusively at night out here. A lot of my lures are basically glow in the dark flies.
>>
I want to catch tarpon so I had my socorro 8k spooled with #50 power pro. I had him put some #20 mono for backing since my reel doesn't have the rubber gasket to prevent braid from slipping. I ended up with 21 yards of mono backing and 172 yards of power pro. According to Shimano's website the reel should hold 295 yards of straight power pro so there definitely was too much backing put on.

Am I gonna get spooled or should I be fine? Many sites say you need at least 250 yards of line capacity for tarpon so I'm kinda worried.
>>
>>704233
I swear reels never hold quite as much as they claim. Unless you totally overfill it and on spinning reels you are just asking for nests and loops.
>>
File: supfams.jpg (2 MB, 2160x3840) Image search: [Google]
supfams.jpg
2 MB, 2160x3840
Ended up going twice. Rain made me run home, then came back around 8:30pm, dad caught this at 9:20.
Stayed another hour, dad swears he got 2 hits on a popper, i lost a rapala floating magnum :(

His royal highness weighed in at 2.2lbs/1kg and 44cm.
>>
>>704141
guys caught some BEAST pickerel today, by far the biggest I have seen.

I had two of them break 12# flourocarbon. Watching the footy now, might post it later.

>>704415
NICE FUCKING FISH DUDE!

and don't sweat the rapala. I lost 4 storm shad today. Decided to try the 2 inch tiny tiny ones, and boy are they great.

I think I found where the record breaking pickerel could be living for my state, dead set on breaking that record of 6lbs this year.
>>
File: SQUID-3D.png (407 KB, 1000x500) Image search: [Google]
SQUID-3D.png
407 KB, 1000x500
>>704431
Thanks mang.
Nah i just hate because its a FLOATING magnum and i managed to snag it kek. And it was close to shore too, i could see it glowing when i lit it with a lamp. If it stays snagged long enough for the sea to warm up ill go dive there. Will probably find a ton of lures lol.
Plus its my second favorite lure, since i lost my old x-rap.

Got some softies, just need the hooks.
Speaking of it, do yall have any suggestions as to how to rig pic related? They are hollow through the middle.
>>
forgot namefagging
>>704441
tub rigging is the same pretty much as senko, texas rig it, or if you want to use it for it's sole rigging purpose, stick your jighead in the hollow "tube" from the back and make a small enough inscision for the eye of the jig head to pop out the front.

weighted rubber with concealed jighead.

>>704431
I think I fucked up and shot my footage today in 1440 ha fuck. was too high when I set it up, and to think I used to work professionally in video production.
>>
File: JUST.png (598 KB, 838x472) Image search: [Google]
JUST.png
598 KB, 838x472
>>704235
>went back to the shop
>guy was really nice about it and fully respooled it only making me pay the extra
>only got 199 yards
>>
File: IMG_20160306_174412889.jpg (3 MB, 4160x2340) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160306_174412889.jpg
3 MB, 4160x2340
>>704441
There ya go, right on the back of my senko package.
>>
>>704449
Ill try that. Gotta find small enough hooks. Shits only 7cm long.

Post it up anyway, im curious.
>>
>>704455
Oh fuck yes, thanks.
>>
>>704235
I have always ALWAYS tied my braid right to the spool, or rather had the guy spooling my braid go right to the spool.

I'm using Stradic 6000fj with no rubber gripping, just the spool lines, no slips, nothing. Same with my baitrunner OC and my sahara 2500.

fuck the backing, you won't need it and trust me, when you're that low it will hold. I've had it all the way out with bait on the end. Never had an issue. Braid always to the spool, fuck the haters.

>>704455
the back of those packages taught me the ways to rig haha.
>>
>>704431
Those Storm rubber shads are great little lures. I like them a lot in clear water. The PowerBait ones are good too, I like their FireTiger ones but they aren't quite as realistic when the water is real clear.

>>704415
Funny that he swears he got hits. It's pretty easy to tell with topwater. I used to get little snags and bites confused sometimes, but now I can tell the difference 98% of the time. Braid helps too.
>>
>>704467
Yeah thats why im not convinced either. But who knows. The fish arent jumping like crazy just yet, and the popper sits completely vertical almost when pausing.

Yeah im still getting them confused. But at least a little snag gives you a jitter and hope that the fish is there lol.
>>
>>704475
>cant into namefagging
>>
>>704460
I know what you mean. The backing isn't a big deal if you tie a good knot and keep some good pressure on the line in the beginning.

I did have an issue with it onxe on the Sienna reel though so if the reel doesn't have the rubber strips, I will do a short mono backing. Just enough that it wraps around the knot a couple times, maybe like 10yds.

But I think I spooled the line way too loose and the knot waab't very tight so it was my fault.
>>
>>704479
>I did have an issue with it onxe on the Sienna reel though

I'll keep this in mind, I plan on getting some braid on it in the next few days, maybe I'll use the string backing I use for my flyline.
>>
>>704479
So should i use backing on an aluminum spool?
Got me 300m of 0.30mm braid. The reel holds 250m of 0.40mm, i have about 200 now id say. Got snagged a lot when i used it for bottom fishing.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 81

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.