[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Cheap Backpacking Meals
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 52
File: 81VqEize-NL._SL1500_.jpg (266 KB, 1112x1500) Image search: [Google]
81VqEize-NL._SL1500_.jpg
266 KB, 1112x1500
Best cheap backpacking meals?

Sick of paying $7 a meal for mountain house style meals.

I want meals that you can just add water to a bag. Easy to make. Easy to clean up.

What are the best cheap options. The Knorr pasta sides are good, but most seem to need butter and milk in cooking... can you cook them with just adding water in the bag?
>>
pack your entire bag with snickers.
>>
>>684674
Pack your entire bag with beef jerky
>>
>>684674
sodium overload
>>
>>684674
>can you cook them with just adding water in the bag
here's a thought... Instead of posting the question, why don't you experiment and share results or are you too fucking poorfag to waste the dollar?
>>
>>684674
You can but it wont be as creamy.
>>
>>684689
Because I'm sitting at work right now and looking for ideas.

Thank you for you helpful and informative shitpost.
>>
>>684708
>sitting at work
Then possibly you should earn your paycheck instead of looking around on internet for ideas to fill your free time.

Source: I'm a mgr that recently 'laid off' several non-productive employees.
>>
>>684717
I'm a paramedic. We don't have a call now, or anything pending. All of our daily stuff is done. I'm not in a Dilbert comic job.

Please shitpost in another thread.
>>
You can buy bulk ingredients to make your freeze-dried meals online.

Proper deli salami will last 1-2 weeks once opened (depending on temp & humidity).

Asian, Hispanic, "Old World" groceries and Dollar Stores have all kinds of dried foods and spices for making tastier backpacking meals.

Instant potatoes, instant rice, canned/pouched fish or meat, dried fruit, oatmeal, packet dinners (high in sodium, but you lose a lot of sodium when hiking your ass off), peanut/almond butter, nutella, powdered milk, powdered eggs, summer sausage, etc.
>>
>>684730
>paramedic
Then you have the facilities & time to prepare Knorr with just water. This would make you an asset rather than a liability on the board.

All of your arguments have been invalid. You're simply a lazy fuck.
>>
>>684750
How does it feel knowing he makes at least 5 dollars an hour more than you?
You sound like a brainwashed wage slave.
>liability to the board
The official shift-lead of /out/ gents.
>>
>>684757
I'd bet he makes approx 100k/yr less than me and that may be generous.
I'm guessing you're another civil servant that think they are better than the rest of us because you 'serve' us.

Again, part of the problem, or part of the solution. It's your choice...
>>
File: you have the time.png (2 KB, 397x54) Image search: [Google]
you have the time.png
2 KB, 397x54
>>684770
This is fantastic.
So you're rolling in money, yelling at people on the friendly outdoor part of 4chan, over cheap backpack food.
You are hear, because you saw "cheap backpack food" and thought, "Wow I make so much money, I can buy MREs, but lets see about that Knoor with water. Wonder how that pans out, why the hell hasnt this guy gotten back to us about this Knorr with water thing? Fucking lazy man, not mixing the Knorr with water"
"part of the problem"
You've made my day.
>>
>>684750
Where am I going to boil water in an ambulance? I'm not stationed in a kitchen.

Again, I plead of you to stop shot posting. None of it is relevant to this thread. I understand your overwhelming autisic desire to prove someone wrong, but please... just stick to the topic at hand.
>>
>>684770
Could you take a trip so I can filter your obnoxious ass? Thanks.
>>
File: 1452141746038.jpg (69 KB, 640x714) Image search: [Google]
1452141746038.jpg
69 KB, 640x714
>>684750
>>684770

>asset/liability
>problem/solution
>taking this so seriously
Asperger's
I'm 100% serious.
Google : Black and white thinking overreacting aspergers autism.
If you don't already know, now you do, and the healing can begin.
Good luck out ther champ.
>>
>>684788
Please let this be a meme
>>
>>684789
Use an alcohol stove, don't you guys carry that?
>>
>>684750
I understand your overwhelming autisic desire to prove someone wrong, but please... just talk about cheap backpacking meals.

Seriously man, you really need to evaluate yourself if you're just posting on /out/ merely for desire to "tell them how it really is".

I asked about cheap backpacking meals. I didn't ask all the ways you feel that this thread triggered you. You must be aware that every other person reading this thread really sees you as just an arrogant asshole.

Countdown to sperg trying to prove me wrong in 3...2....1.....
>>
>>684674

boil-in-bag rice and smoked sausage.

add some tony chachee's seasoning and some sliced mushrooms.

BOOM. game changer. one smoked sausage will last about 6-9 meals, boil-in bag rice is super light and cooks ultra fast--just throw the bag in boil water and wait 5 minutes.

Also, carry rendered fat in a small, opaque tin if you want a substitute for butter.
>>
>>684800

sperg status:
#rekt
>>
File: Bakunin_not_sure.png (36 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
Bakunin_not_sure.png
36 KB, 600x600
>>684797
>Use an alcohol stove, don't you guys carry that?
in case the patient gets hungry and wants a Knorr Pasta Alfredo while bleeding out? sure. ambulances also stop at mcdonalds drive-in
>>
File: 1446523388762.jpg (8 KB, 270x257) Image search: [Google]
1446523388762.jpg
8 KB, 270x257
>>come to /out/
>>see thread about backing meals
>>this interests me
>>OP says "hey blah blah blah some advice about cheap backing meals"
>>spergmanager:"WHY WOULD YOU POST ABOUT OUTDOOR RELATED ACTIVITIES ON AN OUTDOOR ACTIVITIES RELATED IMAGE BOARD DON'T YOU KNOW I MAKE MORE MONEY THAN YOU OK NOW YOU CAN PICK UP THE PIECES OF YOUR ARGUMENT HAHA I REALLY PROVED YOU WRONG SO BAD WOW I'M SO RIGHT

What the hell man?
>>
>>684800
Now this is good advice. Thank you based anon for not being autistic, and actually being helpful.
>>
>>684750
Rarely does 4chan surprise me with its autism.

This post genuinely surprised me. It's very clear this anon has no idea how big of an issue he has.
>>
>>684800
Clarified butter/ghee also works nicely.
>>
>>684805
The alcohol, you make your own stove
>>
>>684800
This honestly sounds pretty damn good. I'm going to try this out this weekend.
>>
>>684795
Psychology fag here. This is actually accurate.
>>
File: 447588D.jpg (422 KB, 1990x1440) Image search: [Google]
447588D.jpg
422 KB, 1990x1440
If you can tolerate canned sardines, they're fantastic nutrition. Usually 88 cents a tin, in calorie rich olive oil. Small, with long shelf life. I'll usually do that with a sweet potato, just foil it and stick in fire.
Thats as close to a meal as I ever get while out. It takes forever to bake a tater so I'm usually just on a mix of nuts/seeds/chocolate chips/shredded jerky. The tater helps you poop too, since only seeds and jerky like to form a compressed fuel log inside me.
>>
File: RIMG0128.jpg (2 MB, 3648x2736) Image search: [Google]
RIMG0128.jpg
2 MB, 3648x2736
>>684674
>buy bulk ingredients
>dehydrate your own vegetables
>know your spices
>mix well
>theres tons of sites just for diy ul meals.
>>
File: RIMG0133.jpg (3 MB, 3648x2736) Image search: [Google]
RIMG0133.jpg
3 MB, 3648x2736
>>684822
>now imagine packing enough cans for two weeks.
>>
>>684825
On a side-note, take the blue deepfreezer bags with the double zip lock, the ones with the zipper are for shit.
>>
This thread makes me sad

Get your shit together
>>
>>684828
And on a further note, freeze dried meat tastes like shit, be it chicken or beef.
I'd rather recommend small stripes of jerky or dried fish. Even dried tofu or saitan are nice.
>>
>>684750
This makes me wonder if you're such a fat-ass that whenever you see an ambulance, you instinctually think it's a food truck.
>>
File: fsm9_005403.jpg (61 KB, 329x395) Image search: [Google]
fsm9_005403.jpg
61 KB, 329x395
What source of complete protein has the best mass/calorie value? Wish there was a formula regarding cals needed/days out/space/cost.
>>
>>684833
Come on, that only happens when they transport burn victims
>>
>>684836
Cockroaches
>>
File: hardfiskur.jpg (68 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
hardfiskur.jpg
68 KB, 800x600
>>684836
Hardfiskur, dried fish fillets. 83% protein.
>>
>>684750
holy shit lol you're a loser
>>
>>684674

Unless it specifically says "boil in bag" on it, don't. The hot water will cause chemicals to come out of the plastic and into what you're eating.
>>
>>684842
>Hardfiskur
Hmm, of course, havnt seen this in the USA, but I think we have something similar in some local asian markets. Bags of thousands of dried minnows/dried fillets. Didn't think about our dehydrated fishy friends, thanks.
>>
>>684836
Dried shiitake is a good option. Excellent source of all 8 essential amino acids, weighs next to nothing, stores forever because there's no fat to spoil. Other health benefits as well.
>>
>>684846
Okay, let's have a valid argument here.
Paramedic man, who freely states he is sitting around doing nothing, wants to know if something will work.
How can one possibly discover this answer?
1) He can post on an image board to anonymous people.
2) He can open his wallet, spend $1 dollar, find out results in less than 8 minutes.

Hmmmmm, who's the loser here? Sounds to me like it's the one civil servant that is sucking off the tax payer's tit that is the lazy loser.

Too fucking lazy to make Knorr, please don't send this fucking useless piece of shit to save someone.

If this loser had any balls he would post his personal information so we can show his superiors what a fucking lazy piece of trash he has working for him/her.

If anyone can defend Paramedic here, I would surely like to hear a valid argument why an adult, sitting around being paid but doing nothing, with full access to a kitchen, cannot spend 8 minutes to determine the answer to the OP. Possibly too lazy to wash the pot after? That's the only thing I can come up with.
>>
File: 80.jpg (132 KB, 640x428) Image search: [Google]
80.jpg
132 KB, 640x428
This thread is like a pristine, sparkling mountian stream.

innocent, wholesome, perfectly justified, and /out/ists shitting in it left and right
>>
File: 5563366541t.jpg (157 KB, 594x389) Image search: [Google]
5563366541t.jpg
157 KB, 594x389
>>684874
Holy shit he came back
This is priceless, I can't write this kind of comedy, I just cant.
I have to come to /out/ more
>hey paramedic man
Fucking lost it!
>>
>>684874
Do you even know how EMTs work?
Theyre on call, they work for a private firm that provides housing and recreation, they service an area and respond to calls, then cart bodies to the ER. They work with unruly drunks, accident victims, old people. Shits a mess. And since amberlamps are privatized they work these guys good, and are stingy with equipment.
The hell is he gonna do in his downtime? Make sure the amberlamps has enough clipboards again?
Not to mention if hes a paramedic thats above EMT and EMT B as i recall, its what, a 5 year investment? You have no idea how the system works, and like an autist (that ive pointed out already) you are applying your limited experience and skillset to a field that is nothing like working as head burger flipper that has an unreasonable hatred for government employees.
Only children think the ambulance system is on government payroll.
Ho
Lee
Shit
>>
>>684874
>medical professionals work for the gubbamint and cost taxpayers money
wow dude, no
>>
>>684885
Yet you cannot offer 1 simple and valid argument as to why this person cannot take 8 minutes to validate or disprove a statement/question.

I speculate Bossman may get concerned that somebody isn't doing the job they are paid to be doing.

>they work for a private firm
Some do, some suck the gov't tit. Regardless they get paid for a service and spend most of their time sitting on their asses validating their existence.
>>
>>684874
/pol/ here, do you know what capitalism is? also come visit us, we would love to chat with you in regards to politics n things.
>>
>>684874
OP/paramedic here.

Our company receives no tax money. We are a private, non-profit service.

My boss has been sitting next to me while I post.

Since posting I've done 3 separate 911 calls, and 1 interfacility transport. I'm currently in the passenger seat of an ambulance, coming back from an interfacility.

I'm not hungry, I don't feel like buying 10 pasta sides to find out which is the best. I also asked other options. I come here to ask opinions, based off of others experience.

You're asking me to post my personal info on 4chan. How about this, go ahead and post yours, since you obviously have the "balls".

I'm really not comprehending why this is so far above your head.

You posted before that all of my "arguments are invalid", yet you have no made a valid argument.

Asking on here provides insight before attempting myself. It will save me time, and money, along with not wasting food.

So tell us again... why exactly are you even here?
>>
>>684892
It's completely acceptable for Paramedics (who lead the team) to fuck around in their free time. You don't have half the certification needed to even formulate an opinion of the subject. Honestly since I work with special children (non or a-typical children as we call them) I don't respond to your attention seeking behaviors. However I also roomate with an EMT and have helped him study his profession (flobotomy was a bitch, have you ever had someone start an IV in your foot!?) I'm more inclined to weigh-in.
I'm going to do to you what I've been trained to do.
You are acting out, and I understand you are uncomfortable. How can I help you? Why are you feeling these bad feelings? You will not get what you want if you continue this behavior. The rest of the class has moved. Would you like to go with them again? Come with me, its ok.
>>
>>684892
Mike jones is that u
>>
>>684750
>Shitposter talking about liabilites and assets

oh boy
>>
File: lemaymayman.jpg (128 KB, 803x688) Image search: [Google]
lemaymayman.jpg
128 KB, 803x688
>>684874
Nice sperglord master may may
>>
>>684894
>company receives no tax money
gov't tit statements retracted. In my area 100% of EMT/Paramedics are on FD and all ambulances run out of FDs

>I don't feel like buying...
'nuf said

My argument is that you are lazy and could have answered your own question in 30 minutes or less and brought something to the table. You chose not to.

>How about this, go ahead and post yours
I'm not posting while at work drawing a salary. I'm sure if you put your facebook out there HR may not be so happy that you're choosing to spend working hours posting/browsing/in non-work related activities. I get it, you don't want to lose your job. It's okay.

>why exactly are you even here?
Obvious answer, because I can be.
>>
File: rarecomfypepe.jpg (6 KB, 249x249) Image search: [Google]
rarecomfypepe.jpg
6 KB, 249x249
>>684909
Relax wagekek. Save your energy for work tomorrow. Remember, another day another dollar.
>>
>>684909
Uk fag detected
god why didnt you say so
we could have saved ourselves a lot of time and had ahmed come and "culturally enrich" you for some wonderful american dollars
makes sense youre so mad, you try to go to your local park for some /out/ and get scared off by a bunch of fighting-age syrian males squatting by a fire they made from slats in the fences around the neighbourhood
>>
File: image.jpg (30 KB, 375x188) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
30 KB, 375x188
Jesus christ this thread is full of the 'Tisms.
>>
>>684909
>>684909
Ok now fucker ive been silent long enough
firefighters and first responders alike are totally allowed to screw around in our downtime, we have real skills that people want
carry two hundred pounds up a hacked together four-story training building and ill give a shit about what you say
we can do what no one else does, for longer, when it counts
you can go fuck yourself, and ill help you fuck yourself if i ever see your fucking gay ass "explain to me how the world works" bullshit again, you fucking hear me fuck boy?
/out/ is for men, go back to /lgbt/ if you have problems stomaching how the world goes
>>
>>684909
>what you are saying upsets me as it conflicts with how I think the world should work
Fixed, courtesy of psychology bro
>>
>>684918
I don't even know why you responded to dude.
>>
>>684918
>Ok now fucker ive been silent long enough
>firefighters and first responders alike are totally allowed to screw around in our downtime
This is not true and it's my issue. You think you are holier than though. You are paid to work, not to 'know'
Scrub the floor, wax the truck, wax it again, scrub the toilets. Those are your skills.
I get it you are trained. Thinking you are excluded from work when there is nothing urgent in front of you is BS. Go in front of your town board and tell then you sit on your ass and it's your prerogative if you're not 'on a call'.
How about preaching that to the people. I didn't think so.

At least paramedic dude has the balls to admit he's lazy. Get off your fucking soap box first responder.
>>
>>684914
US
>>
>>684928
Because like most first responders he is a self righteous entitled prick.
I love the way he gets all threatening
>I'll fuck you up if I ever see you or you open >your mouth and voice an opinion on the >culture of my brotherhood.
>>
>>684933
I have no idea who I'm even responding to anymore.

Just not sure what's wrong with shitposting at work.
>>
File: orsno34841.gif.jpg (14 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
orsno34841.gif.jpg
14 KB, 400x400
>>684929
>I don't know why anyone makes more than me for anything
the post

I'm starting to get it. Your skills are so limited, you have to work at peak just to stay above getting fired.
Ah, such is like in the unskilled workforce.
If you were smarter, you could learn to weld or work on an oil rig.
But you didn't. And... you cant.
You have to work your hardest just to keep your job.
And that is ok.
Just let go, some people are more valuable than you are, even if you don't want to say so.
Might I recommend some time outdoors?
It really puts things in perspective.
>>
>>684936
So far from accurate.
>>
File: ready_rice_beef_flavor.png (182 KB, 325x366) Image search: [Google]
ready_rice_beef_flavor.png
182 KB, 325x366
>>684674
Uncle Ben's Ready Rice. It's not dehydrated, but is pretty light at 9.5 ounces. It comes in 23 flavors, including red beans and rice. It's a microwavable bag, but you can heat it by just tossing the bag in hot water.

https://www.unclebens.com/products/ready-rice
>>
>>684944
Stop going off-topic asshole
>>
>>684944
or if on an ambulance, you can put it near the engine block, so no need for even hot water.
>>
>>684899
>>684918
I'm guessing you fancy yourself as first responders. I hate to tell you, you're not. You are 2nd responders.
Ranting guy is more correct about your branch(es) than incorrect.

Source: Actual 1st responder.
>>
Excellent thread so far.

Lately I throw instant oatmeal, unsalted mixed nuts, cranberries, prunes, flax meal and cinnamon in a baggie for breakfast.

"Energy Nuggets" basically protein bar cubes bought in bulk, with trail mix, granola, mixed nuts, dry fruit, and veggie chips in a baggie for lunch.

Then usually instant rice with instant dehydrated black beans and a bit of dehydrated vegetarian chili for dinner or tortellini with some garlic salt and olive oil I pack in a small bottle

Multi vitamin and a snicker for dessert.

Everything gets zip lock bagged and all ingredients are bought in bulk at the local Winco Foods or a whole foods type.
>>
>>684953
>protein bar cubes bought in bulk

Pls explain further. So like you break up regular bars? Or they sell some basic protein bar type cubes to use for other stuff like this mix?
>>
I prefer this but like all packaged dishes there is way too much sodium.
This summer I'll be working on creating my own.
>>
File: goya9-L.jpg (186 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
goya9-L.jpg
186 KB, 600x600
>>684963
helps to attach the image.
>>
>>684877
Underrated post
>>
File: zat.png (210 KB, 250x414) Image search: [Google]
zat.png
210 KB, 250x414
>>684963
>>684965
those goya dealies are really good. and they actually have less sodia than a lot of american stuff, such as pic related. still has a lot, but sodium isn't a bad thing when you're working out all day long.

I add a couple ounces of long grain rice to the dry mix and it dilutes i significantlyt, so you get an extra meal out of it with the same overall amount of sodium.
>>
>>684750
FUCK YOU
>>
>>684984
Another well thought out and salient rebuttal.

Congrats anon, it shows that the truth hurts.
>>
>>684955
The second option.
Out of the bulk department, little chocolatey protein bar cubes. Seen them called a few different things at a few different stores.
>>
>>684990
you're clearly the strongest "liability" on this board seeing as you shitpost off-topic and derail normal threads
>>
>>684994
That's the best you have? Sounds kind of like the rubber/glue argument.

Still waiting for 1 reasonable reason/argument/validation.

C'mon FD & Paramedics, it's not like you don't have time on your hands and we all know that not only is it allowed but it is encouraged for you to slack off, uh, I mean use your time in a less than productive way when you're not on a call.
>>
File: IMAG1432.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1840) Image search: [Google]
IMAG1432.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1840
here are some of my go too options. Great if you're on the fly buying things short notice too. I do often include other things like meat, but I have a small soft pack cooler I bring with me too. Normally doing /out/ labors cooking for 3-4 people over the course of 2-3 days.
>>
>>685016
And I ask you again: Please take a trip so everyone can filter you.
>>
>>685078
other favorite things are
goya products
pistachios
pb&j in seperate coogan squeeze tubes
crackers
tortillas
salt/peper seasonings etc
potatos
onions
kale
peppers* even if the don't get to the intended location in 1 piece, its not really a problem as long as its not mush.
Plenty of extra water for cleaning and cooking if you can carry it.
2-3oz squeeze bottle full of olive oil or w/e you like
>>
>>684951
Butthurt cop detected.
>>
File: IMAG1378.jpg (1 MB, 3264x1840) Image search: [Google]
IMAG1378.jpg
1 MB, 3264x1840
>>685078
>>685087
Just add water foods are pretty awesome for beginners. You can even mix it up in the bag pour a little in your pan at time etc. You could even add chocolate chips, unless your worried about being healthy. In which case, just grab a hand full of dried fruit and throw in your mouth, and like it you fire-less hippie.
>>
File: IMAG1377.jpg (1 MB, 3264x1840) Image search: [Google]
IMAG1377.jpg
1 MB, 3264x1840
>>685093
these are pictures of add-water type pancakes, cooked on low in stainless pan with no oil or butter. Very easy to prepare even with minimal extras.

Let me know If I should keep going.
>>
>>685016
I would prefer to have paramedics and firefighters to be relatively restful between callouts.

It's certainly a better use of their time than having them do pointless menial tasks like waxing already waxed trucks or sweeping clean floors like you said. "Hurry up and be busy" when there are no tasks that need done is a sign of poor managerial skills, it shows that you constantly need to be abusing your power just to stay in control of the people under you. If you treat staff like that, they'll try harder to look productive than actually be productive.
>>
File: 1430109104754.gif (3 MB, 375x211) Image search: [Google]
1430109104754.gif
3 MB, 375x211
>>684951
>claims to be an 'Actual 1st Responder'
>takes absolute minimum 15 minutes to respond
>if suspects a dangerous situation might not even show up, at the very least add an additional 15 minutes to response time
>seconds count
>is half an hour away
>1st responder
>1st
>>
>>685100
Okay, so boiling water and seeing if Knorr noodles are edible without milk and butter would wear your paramedic out to the point they can't perform their duties?
I guess it's worse than I previously envisioned.
>>
>>685089
Got another name caller but no valid response.
>>685109
Make up stories much? Fiction seems to be your game, good luck with it.
>>
>>684674
>just add water to a bag
bro

>>>/ck/
>>
>>685116
He can't, he's too busy, this is my point.
>>
>>685117
>too busy
For what? Too busy to go /out/? Going /out/ is how I often CHOOSE to learn things. Isn't the point to prove to yourself that you are a self sufficient man?
>>
>>685115
>Make up stories much? Fiction seems to be your game, good luck with it.

You respond quick enough to posts on the internet, if only you could apply that to the real world.
>>
This is the same troll that posted all the Bundy threads.
>>
>>685113
He can post from his station or vehicle and still be able to respond to callouts fine.

He can't go out to the store, buy some pasta, cook it and taste them all while on duty though. Don't be dense.
>>
File: bundy_al_5847.jpg (31 KB, 500x372) Image search: [Google]
bundy_al_5847.jpg
31 KB, 500x372
>>685124
>>
File: paramedic_work_ethic0.jpg (170 KB, 1310x873) Image search: [Google]
paramedic_work_ethic0.jpg
170 KB, 1310x873
>>684674
>>
>>685117
Oh fuck off, I came to this thread to see what some cheap foods would be and all it is shitposting because of autists like you.

Related, don't get those simply asian microwave dishes, they really fucking suck.
>>
>>684909
OP here. We don't have an HR. The entire company is like 20 employees, only 7 full time. My boss literally sat by me every post I made, other than when we were on the way back from calls. Seriously man you could call him tomorrow and say I'm posting online with my phone. He would look up from his computer watching videos of hockey and say "um so?"
>>
>>684822
Wait....can you buy dehydrated meat right from Mountain House?
>>
>>685224
> by hockey
> means gay porn

By beef jerky, I mean a rub and a tug.
>>
>>684674
Use the catalog OP.

>>>>>684512

Guy in this thread mentions you can get the mountain house meals at costco for what amounts to about $1-$2 per meal per person depending on calorie needs. The servings are '2.5 servings' but what that equates to in calories, I am unsure. I am going to use a friend's membership to pick up a 10/$35 pack and see if I like some of them. I have only used one of these before because, like you, I don't see the sense in paying $7 a bag when I dehydrate my own foods and am pretty good at packing my own homemade food. However, at this price it would be nice to have some just as a backup or an emergency food ration at home/in the car.

As far as DIY options, I dehydrate lots of vegetables and fruits myself and cook with some of them on the trail. My favorite so far is multi vegetable rice where I add dried peppers, mushrooms, and whatever else I have on hand. Typically I do a 1 cup veg to 3 cups rice mixture and will add a few packets of goya rice seasoning if I want to get extra fancy in the woods. It all packs out well and I can take 2 meals for 2 people (4 total) in one ziplock bag. Grits are easy to modify and I have even made a shrimp and grits before with freeze dried shrimp. Use your imagination and try stuff out.

If I want noodles on the tail I will just break them in half, place them in a ziplock or other container and it packs out much easier. Usually I just stick to rice and grits for carbs though. I eat jerky throughout the day so most meals don't include animal protein and if they do, it is canned. Lentils and beans are great if you don't have dietary restrictions.
>>
>>685242
Unfortunately there are no Costco stores anywhere near me.

10/35 sounds like a steal. I've never seen them that cheap.
>>
>>685230

Yes, go to their website or amazon.
>>
>>685245

Neither have I, which is why I started looking other places to see if they had similar prices. Sams club sells them as well but at basically Cabella's prices, even in packaged 'deals' with 6+. Looks like Costco or DIY is the best option. I am going to stick to DIY until I can get to a Costco.

I mainly make my own out of convenience, not necessarily the savings. It might seem counter intuitive but I already have the dehydrated vegetables and it took me an afternoon to come up with 5 recipes I could take on a trip that no one in the group was allergic to. I don't play the food aversion BS but some people I go /out/ with have legitimate food allergies that can cause severe stomach pains and hives all over their body. I am certain some would also go in to anaphylaxis. So for me, it just makes sense to stuff it in some ziplock baggies and call it a day. I never re-hydrate in plastic but Stanley cook pots and kettles are easy enough to clean.
>>
>>685230
Not just Mountain House, there are plenty of bulk freeze dried manufacturers out there.
>>
>>684953
plz contribute to the thread and dont post offtopic things :^)
>>
File: JackLinkBeefSteak-500x500.gif (44 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
JackLinkBeefSteak-500x500.gif
44 KB, 500x500
>If you think about it in a certain way, I was actually the winner of that argument
>What /out thinks about innawoods

Does anyone else not get hungry on the trail? As long as I'm hydrated I don't get hunger pangs. I'll eat a can of beefaroni or something if I'm staying overnight (and get shitfaced) but eating to refuel just doesn't seem appealing. I live on the eastern shore of Maryland so it's not like I've got mountains to climb or anything.
>>
>>685230
Bulk dehydrated meat, dehydrated butter, dehydrated cheese, milkpowder, dehydrated vegetables etc.
Not only from MH but form a dozen different guys on Amazon.
Add fast cooking pasta, minute rice, mashed potato powder or couscous, add spices, tadaa, 2 person instant meal for $2. Thats what I'm trying to tell you nigglets.
>>
>>685016
You realize of course that some EMTs work at services where they have to sign up for 12 to 24 hour shifts, but only get paid for actual call outs. It is their free time between calls to do as they please; they have to be near the ambulance, but if they're not on an active call, they can do as they please.

Also you sound like a bitter unpleasant person. I have an MBA with an emphasis in human resources. If you worked for me, I would tell you that I appreciate your enthusiasm for your work ethic, then lef you go for being a liability for treating people so poorly.
>>
Best food for bike touring?
>>
>>685366
Pasta, you can afford the weight of fuel and a nice pesto sauce.
>>
>>685367
Seconding. Carbs are essential for long rides. If you can, pre-cook with everything except oil and dehydrate for a faster, easier and better tasting pasta. Remember that it'll sit heavy for a couple hours though, so it's really only for dinners.

I like to do fats and sugar during my rides (lots of snickers bars and nutella), proteins and carbs at night (fish or jerky and rice or pasta).

Also... PSA:
IF YOU DONT RESPOND TO TROLLS THEY GO AWAY. Christ, people...
>>
>>684894
His tardwrangler let him out of their sight.
>>
Minestrone soup and linguicia or chorizo

nom nom nom
>>
>>685373
>tardwrangler
kek
>>
Phone won't let me post the link, but Google theyummylife backpacking. She's got a couple of ideas for breakfast/lunch and 6 different dinner recipes. I use the dinner recipes all the time, they're cheaper because you can buy in bulk. If you don't have a dehydrator just buy a bunch of veggies you like and stick them in the oven on low for a few hours.
>>
>>684885
Actually its only 6 months to get EMT B.
>>
>>685417
>6 months
hmmmmmmm, sounds a wee bit easier than qualifying for most positions.
>>
File: cerealgallery.jpg (88 KB, 500x446) Image search: [Google]
cerealgallery.jpg
88 KB, 500x446
>>684674
I like
>pic related
but I'm wondering if I can bring them /out with me and have them without milk? Will they still taste good? Is there another way to prepare my breakfast?
Anybody else ever try having
>pic related
without milk before?
Thanks in advance!
>>
>>685550
Dehydrated milk will do you right. Just a spoonful I'd powder and add water
>>
>>684674
>>685620
Holy shit OP, this thread is pure gold.
Really? Never heard of:
Honeyville's Powdered Butter is an excellent culinary tool for emergency preparedness and everyday convenience.
AND
Powdered milk or dried milk is a manufactured dairy product made by evaporating milk to dryness. One purpose of drying milk is to preserve it; milk powder has a far longer shelf life than liquid milk
>>
>>684674
when I was backpacking I ate the simplest food I could

honestly anything that comes in a packet is made for lazy people, not for people without facilities

and shelf life is a trade off, because most often it means high salt/sugar

what I ate:
sandwiches, so many sandwiches
scrambled eggs and some kind of meat
pasta with some kind of tomato base sauce
powdered milk and wheat bricks
fruit whenever I could get
low salt penut butter and crackers
train mix (usually made my own)
salami and hard cheese
street food

the traps people fell for were eating heavy carbs in the morning before walking
failing to eat any fiber
eating way too much sugar and salt
not drinking enough water
>>
>>684750
I hope you've fucked off, faggot.
>>
>>686130
>train mix
>>
>>686259
for flying fuxake, stop feeding the goddamn trolls. We had gone at least five posts without the angry micromanager. Good job, dickwad. This is why we can't have nice things.
>>
>>684797
10/10 troll would chuckle again
>>
>>684914
Are you an autist as well? Great observation spastic...
>>
>>684836
fucking lol'd
>>
>>686259
No fucks have been given, I'm still here waiting on Paramedic man to give one valid argument why he/she is lazy and can't test this him/herself.
I'm starting to lean towards the female since all I've heard is excuses on why you can't.

>>686264
nomnomnomnomnom
>>
>>686281
Jesus, dude. I feel sad for you.
>>
>>686287
?
I'm not mexican
>>
>>686293
No, legitimately. I feel really bad for you, man.
>>
File: 1413708835945.png (10 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1413708835945.png
10 KB, 500x500
>>686297
maybe we should start a fund for him
>>
>>684951
Shot any puppies today?

1st responder, more like glorified meter maid.
>>
>>686314
Good 'ol Blue vs red thread, it's been a while.
>>
File: 02014341.jpg (525 KB, 800x596) Image search: [Google]
02014341.jpg
525 KB, 800x596
>>684674
>can you cook them with just adding water in the bag?
yo cock. learn how to cook
>>
>>684717
Does it feel good being a big man? You sound like a real piece of shit. I hope your daughter gets raped
>>
>>686321

She doesn't dial 911, she dials .357
>>
>>684674
Google:
making knorr pasta sides without milk
About 66,600 results (0.50 seconds)

making knorr pasta sides with just water
About 356,000 results (0.82 seconds)

OP, troll much?

As well, you can cook them without milk (when called for), add in dry milk instead and use oil instead ... 1 packet Knorr® Stroganoff Pasta Side
>>
>>686281
First of all, the main part of the post was asking about others cheap backpacking meals.

The secondary question was about cooking know pasta sides.

Maybe the guy realizes it's cheaper, easier, and better to ask opinions first. Find out which cook best, any tips to making them, what can be substituted, which ones taste best, etc ect.

Or we can just do it Autisic manager's way: just blindly trial and error.

The post was about cheap backpacking meals. A secondary question was posed. Even if the idiot manager didn't like it, he still has offered absolutely 0 advice or help. Mostly because its apparent he knows very little.
>>
>>686341
Not to mention being able to cook in the bag. Maybe he's rather not dump boiling water in a tiny bag without really knowing if that bag will hold up to the Temps and water without sending a mess everywhere.

God damn that manager guy is a cunt.
>>
File: 1259904145809.gif (132 KB, 263x185) Image search: [Google]
1259904145809.gif
132 KB, 263x185
So basically: Don't discuss or ask any questions about anything you're marginally interested it, just google and keep your thoughts to yourself? Riiiiiight.
>>
>>686343
>manager guy is a cunt
Manager guy here, Not sure what your douchery is all about. I think I have 1 or 2 posts in this thread. So I fired some people that were fucking off and not performing. So I believe people should do what they are paid for, contracted to do, etc.
I think cop fucker has a point, this guy sounds entitled, and looks like about 60% of the posts don't agree.
Personally, if a paramedic isn't on a call I believe he should be learning, honing skills. There's plenty he should be doing before browsing the internet and shitposting on his company's dime.
>>
>>686687
OP was trying to learn something. He wanted to know some good meal options that could save his money. Extra money that could be spend on new educational books for an EMT.

Then you came along...
>>
>>686687
So people aren't allowed to take breaks? Your employees must fucking love you.
>>
>>686693
>breaks
>feeling entitled and that you should be able to do anything when not "working, ie on a call"
Keep justifying
>>
File: lil.png (2 MB, 712x1512) Image search: [Google]
lil.png
2 MB, 712x1512
>>
>Go to local supermarket
>10 5 ounces cans of Vienna sausages for $5
>50 ounces of meat for just $5
>Get a 3 pounds bag of rice for $1
>A package of dry beans for $1
>Get a 1/2 quart aluminium cauldron for $12
>Take a wooden spoon with me for $1
>Olive oil for $1
>Salt, pepper and spices in the same container $2
>Can cook outdoor for 5 days straight, a week if I get something else to make breakfast

Would love to share pictures with you guys, it is pretty tasty. Also, if you get tomato salsa or paste, you can make a sausage stew.
>>
>>686715
So you really are saying people are not allowed to take breaks from their work.
>>
>>686868
Aren't you faggots tired yet of shitting this thread up?
>>
>>684674
They makes knorr sides that just take water, such as cheddar broccoli
>>
>>686687
Paramedics do continuing education all the time. You can't really expect a paramedic working a 12 to 24 hour shift to "hone" his skills for the entire day if there aren't many calls.

There's some 24 hour shift where you'll only have 2 hours of actual calls. There's some 24 hour shifts that you don't even have time to get lunch until midnight.

Emergency services do nothe function the same as office jobs. Be in fire/ems, or even emergency health care in general like an ER.

Unlike an office job, you can't just "make yourself busy". You have to wait until there is a need for you. That's the nature of the business.

I understand at your office job an employee on the Internet is slacking off, that just isn't the case with emergency services. You can't compare the two. I understand how you'd want to, but they just don't function the same.

There are many days within EMS with significant "down time". Sometimes an entire shift is down time. There are responsibilities yes. Cleaning the vehciles, checking equipment, continuing education, vehicle maintenance, non-emergent transports, supply ordering and stocking.... but those daily tasks can't fill an entire day. If those daily tasks filled an entire day, they'd never get done since you also have to do 911 calls. The daily tasks fill a small part of the day. When they are done, there isn't much to do besides wait for a call. Generally in most areas, that wait isn't long, and some days there's no sitting still. Still, there are days when people just aren't having heart attacks and crashing cars. It's the nature of the business.

And it's not the same as your business, as such you shouldn't really judge it.
>>
>>686887
Thank you but I don't like Cheddar Broccoli and I wanted to know if the ones, like Alfredo, that call for butter and milk can be prepared with just water.
>>
>>686949
They can, I'd mix in a little olive oil in lieu of butter but the milk isn't strictly necessary.
>>
>>686952
>They can, I'd mix in a little olive oil in lieu of butter but the milk isn't strictly necessary
Thank you.
Everyone else, see how easy this could have been. Now that I know I'm not wasting my time or money I will try this out.
>>
>>686955
>>686949

Not OP posting
Im OP, but I agree with you, other than I like cheddar broccoli
>>
Pic related sauce packs are awesome for camping. Throw in some dried meat and cheese and you've got a full meal. Use milk powder for the cream sauces and olive oil for the pesto. Don't forget the soup course for veggies.
>>
On the topic of cooking the Knorr/Lipton stuff in bags, you CAN do it in the original bag but I wouldn't recommend it.

You can, however, transfer the contents (along with powdered milk for the creamy types) to heavy duty ziptop freezer bag and rehydrate in those. They're also pretty sturdy and can be washed out and reused multiple times.

If you can, find a commercial supply store and get the restaurant grade bags, they're the toughest.
>>
File: v2_bluebox_spongebobshapes.png (139 KB, 370x370) Image search: [Google]
v2_bluebox_spongebobshapes.png
139 KB, 370x370
If you have access to a water and a cooking pot like one of those nifty stanley ones, you could just make this without anything but water. sure its a little bland without milk and especially butter but whatevs.

Also since you boil it for like 10 minutes wouldnt that purify the water anyway?
>>
File: IMGP7224.jpg (216 KB, 1000x662) Image search: [Google]
IMGP7224.jpg
216 KB, 1000x662
>>687060
i cook stuff like that fairly often without milk or butta. It's delicious! i make sure to use just the right amount of water so it's not soupy. pic related - i got a knorr cheesy bacon macaroni boilting away in my nifty stanley cooker. it was so fucking buggy i eneded-up eating like 20 mosquitos with it but whatever. and yeah, 10mins should sterilize the water no problem... unless it has chemical pollution in it
>>
>>687060
that double negative got me talking to myself trying to chasemy tail

you could just make this without anything but water
>>
File: JVSP_325.jpg (32 KB, 248x325) Image search: [Google]
JVSP_325.jpg
32 KB, 248x325
This shit is a good add-on to packaged noodle/rice dishes.

You can also get refried beans flakes if you want to up your protein without adding a lot of weight. Mixes well with instant rice or you can just put it on a tortilla with some hard cheese.
>>
File: milk powder.jpg (12 KB, 267x300) Image search: [Google]
milk powder.jpg
12 KB, 267x300
>>684674
>>685113
>>685550
>>686949
>>686955
Milk powder. It's been said before. A lot.
>>
>>687118
also good an exfoliating face wash, and the parallel bars
>>
>>687060
OP here. I've made velveta shells and cheese. Only need to boil water and add the cheese. The only problem is that the Stanley cook pot is a little hard to clean out innawoods.

How do other clean pots innawoods? Just wipe it out? Never seems to clean it well enough, and then my coffee the next morning has an odd taste.
>>
>>687282
>how to clean pots innawoods
Well, you could rinse it in a stream.
You could boil water in it.
You could scrub out the burnt-on stuff with sand and a stick.

I usually do all three, in that order. If the third step is required, I generally repeat step two afterward.
>>
>>687282
I cook mostly shitty packet currys when I'm out, also try to minimise water. what I do is:

1. be careful not to burn your food
2. wipe it out with grass/ paper towel/ toilet paper to get most of the gunk out
3. rinse with water
4. scratch off chunks/stubborn left overs with scourer
5. light rinse again
>>
>>684806
Welcome to 4chan
>>
>>687317
Ain't that the fuckin truth
>>
>>687282
Usually the pee boil trick will get rid of any lingering flavors.
>>
This may be the best /out thread I've ever seen. Every element of chan is present.
Made my Saturday morning coffee that much better.
Thank you OP.
>>
>>687654
ffs, this shit is still going, please let it die

We get it, 4chan is autistic, OP is lazy, people have different opinions.
>>
>>684717
not OP but I want to fight you right now.
>>
>>687700
Where to meet you? Tough guy on internet I bet. The type that won't show IRL
Probably the type that slacks off at work.
>>
RIP in peace Global Rule #6 ;_;
>>
>>687706
that rule was DOA
>>
>>687705
careful, your autism is showing. go back to managing your KFC
>>
>>687739
>managing your KFC
>time to lean? time to clean!
That's fucking awesome, I actually used to do that.
>>
>>687700
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
File: 1382593575078.gif (961 KB, 245x250) Image search: [Google]
1382593575078.gif
961 KB, 245x250
>>
>>684951
I've never met another officer who actually hates EMT's. That's... kinda fucked up man. Do you hate on Firemen too?
>>
>>684951
But you're not an Officer, Fireman, or an EMT. So you're not a first responder.
>>
File: hi_five_meh.png (20 KB, 493x402) Image search: [Google]
hi_five_meh.png
20 KB, 493x402
>>687784
he's a first shitposter is what he is. doing god's work across the chan. a true hero.
>>
>>684679

Confirmed for Katz
>>
>>687779
Maybe a regional thing? Blue vs Red is age old in my area. Blue out there busting ass, red sitting at home cooking fucking chili.
85% of the time Blue has already dealt with med situation before 2nd responders pull up and now it's "stand back, we're taking control, don't worry we'll transport to hospital so the DRs can do the work"
Glorified taxi drivers.
>>
>>687785
Don't get me wrong, I love this thread.

>>684674
Others have already answered, but no, you shouldn't pour boiling water in those. Different plastics are used for the other kinds of bags. You could totally cook the pasta in boiling water though, just won't be as tasty.

I personally just go the old "sausage, bread, canned fish, spam, crackers, vodka" route, but add different fruits and veggies from time to time. Nothing fancy, no cooler needed. Sometimes I make bannock or hard tack too if I want to be "fancy".
>>
>>687804
Maybe? I mean there's always rivalry sure, but outward hate no. I'm always happy to see paramedics(etc.) because it means

A) Less chance of a family member turning around and saying I fucked up and killed their drunk teenage angel.

and

B) We've generally only had good experiences with them.

It might actually just be the individuals from both parties that are causing our different situations. You've probably met a lot of shitheads and we've just had good luck. That whole superiority complex they have I've seen though with a few of them.
>>
>>687784
>claims to be a police officer
>has his magazine pouches on backwards
>>
>>687814
No professional EMT/para's
Only one's are FD.
PD needs to be certified but certification brings no additional $
For FD certification is optional and brings higher pay grade and removal from FD normal duties, ie fighting fires. Certified wait in the wings for smoke inhalation/injury duty.

Animosity reigns supreme.
>>
>>687808
>I love this thread
God help us.
>>
>>684770
Wow. You've stuck your head so far up your ass, you've convinced yourself your shit doesn't stink!

Well, OP, there's that erbswurst stuff the Germans use. I've never found any here (both sides of the US/Canada border), but it sounds kind of good. It's basically instant pea soup, as I understand. You can find some DIY recipes here and there.

Ramen or other pasta can be pretty good. It's lightweight and basically doesn't go bad. Ramen is nice and compact, but stuff like macaroni is bulky. I've done peanut butter on ramen before. Throw in some dry banana chips, and it's pretty good.
>>
>>684717
>am mgr
>>
File: 0006259.jpg (485 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
0006259.jpg
485 KB, 1024x768
>>688006
>Ramen
This. Ramen is prefect bush food. It's all oily fats, sodium, and carbs. Triffic! Also, I highly recommend pic related. It's of considerably higher quality than the maruchan/nissin stuff, it has little dried veggies which make it more enjoyable, AND it's so f*cking spicy you'll be able to light your after-dinner cigar off your butthole
>>
>>684797
They carry oxygen tanks on top of that! Grill, boil, anything you want.
>>
>>688027
You're right, but i'm just so over ramen lately. the only way i can eat it anymore is at home by stir frying it with veggies and real meat and throwing the flavor packet out
>>
>>684674
In case you are still reading OP, don't try to cook Knorr sides in the bag I'm pretty sure they are paper. Instead get a quart freezer ziploc and put it in a large beer cozy then pour the boiling water in. Hope this helped.
>>
>>688027
If you do Ramen you need to at dehydrated meat or some other protein. When you are backpacking you need to have your dinners be high in protein.
>>
>>688060
ramen noodles/soup is by no means a complete meal. it's just a very good portion to accompany /out/ activities, because it's comfort food, easy, full of carbs and sodium. but yeah, it's like, a side dish or a starter or something. you need more than that shit to keep you going.

>>688056
yeah i'm kinda getting there myself.. i do the stir fry thing sometimes but those noodles just aren't good for much, including frying up
>>
>>684874
holy shit, you're fucking autistic dude
>>
>>688084
You make some tremendous points but I'm not sure you went into enough detail to change my mind. Can you elaborate?
>>
>>688060
That's one reason I suggested eating it with peanut butter. Peanut butter doesn't offer all the amino acids, but it's a good start. Ideally, you'd have other things packed, too, like jerky and stuff.
>>
>>684674
>$7 a meal for mountain house style meals

I dehydrate and vacuum pack all my meals. It is super easy to do and there are so many options and meals you can make that only need water and heat, if that. Since I can buy bulk food, it is ultra cheap when compared to similar store bought meals.
>>
>>684750
>gets told
>knee jerk reflex defense post engages
>sperges out
>says stupid things
>posts contrarian shit just for the sake of being a contrarian

Idiot.
>>
>>684674
if you ever looked at one of those things, they require not just water but like 2+ table spoons of butter, and those 2 table spoons of butter is what prevents them from tasting like salty cardboard dog shit.
>>
>>688500
>they require not just water but like 2+ table spoons of butter
So you can't make it with just water? Too many conflicting answers.
There has to be a way to resolve this for good.
>>
I've cooked the knorr pasta and rice sides in my stanley pot. I tried to boil water and let it sit inside the pack but it didn't work out. Better to cook it to get it creamy and get rid of the excess water. I did not add milk or butter and it came out fine.
>>
>>684812
Then you smell up the da woods like a bunch of Paki.
>>
>>684918
My wife who is a nurse and did a lot of dating before she met me has total disrespect for Firefighters and EMT. From personal experience she says they are lazy in their off time.
I'm just reporting what I've heard. Maybe she meant they are just lazy in bed?
>>
>>684953
Sounds like my kit.
I put a pinch of Cardamom in my oatmeal.
>>
>>684770
I make at least double what you make. Probably 3 times. I am an astronaut afterall.

The fun thing about the internet is you can be whoever you want :D
>>
>>688590
Shouldn't you be running zero gravity experiments right now?
I'm an astronaut manager and I have fired lazy astronauts in the past for this shit.
Ps I make even more than you which means I'm better than you
>>
>>684929
FF/Paramedic here in SoCal. Just got done with a 24 hour shift, ran 40 calls and didn't have time to eat or sleep. I speak for everyone when I say suck my dick.
Let me guess, your gf cheated on you with one of us? Or did you fail paramedic school? Maybe you're just a shit head. Hopefully you or somebody you know never needs our service.
>>
>>688637
>>688590
I own the internet and you're both fired for misuse of corporate resources. As per your contract, all incurred wages are repayable to the company within 2 weeks.
>>
>>688661
>24 hour shift, no eat/sleep
OSHA might be interested in this.
>I speak for everyone when I say suck my dick.
not a surprising retort.
>gf cheated on you or failed paramedic school
Nope
>Hopefully you or somebody you know never needs our service.
Again, thank you for validating my point. Even you don't recommend your services.
>a shit head
Highly likely that I am.
>>
Awesome thread!! I came for the info but i stayed for the troll. Was the troll sincerely autistic or was it B8?? Either way I bet that guy has a lot of friends ....Thanks Mr OP Paramedic for what you do
>>
>>687295
Actually I've met several old-times that carry a pot solly for coffee, and they leave the coffee gunk on the inside of metal pots. They claim that scrubbing metal pots strips off the gunk layer, and the coffee reacts and oxidized the newly exposed metal, giving it a bad taste. Not really a coffee drinker, so I can't confirm.
>>
>>688789

Believe it or not, at least in my state, 24 hour shifts are completely legal, and there is no requirement for amount of sleep, or breaks. If you're busy for 24 hours and don't get to eat, or sleep, it's just how it goes.

There's no OSHA regulations against EMS or Fire doing 24 hour shifts. Even if you don't get to eat, don't get a break, or don't sleep.

Realisticallyif you don't eat it's your fault, since you can keep a snack in the ambulance and eat it on the way to a call. I've eaten half a sandwich on the way to a DOA, then finished the sandwich waiting for the coroner to arrive. The guy was dead so he didn't mind me eating. At least he didn't say anything.

The only requirement is that after 24 hours of work, you have to have 11 hours of time off.

I worked 24 hour shifts for 7 years. It's not easy.
>>
>>686949
I have made them with water, i used butter though. Youll want to add some kind of fat to it though so maybe some olive oil would work.
>>
>>687282
Bring a steel wool pot scrubber with you, they weight next to nothing.
>>
>http://greatist.com/health/21-healthier-trail-mix-ideas

Pretty good trail mix ideas.
>>
Beef jerky and hardtack.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-02-17-15-18-44.png (2 MB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-02-17-15-18-44.png
2 MB, 1080x1920
>>684674
I use a lot of pic related
About $2.50 per meal. Throw in some snacks like nuts, fruits, cereal, or whatever you snack on and they are both good and filling
I usually poke a hole in the top plastic and set the whole container in boiling water for a good couple of minutes

The trays can be stacked together to pack out or burned if you are in a location where you can have fires

Also you can eat Raman for a three day trip I take two of the better Raman bowls that are about .80 ea and they are good if you ask me
>>
>>687282
I bring half a sponge, keeps the stuff I usually pack in my pot from moving around and making noise. also, does a damn fine job at cleaning my pot.
>>
File: IMG_20140511_053818_216.jpg (703 KB, 3264x1840) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20140511_053818_216.jpg
703 KB, 3264x1840
>>684983
These are fantastic if you bring cured spicy sausage to put in it.
>>
>>686818
Can Vienna sausages last about 3 days outside with no refrigeration?
>>
>>691910
Vienna sausages can last about 187 years outside with no refrigeration, and that's after you've opened the can.
>>
File: Home-made-Salami-1.jpg (1 MB, 1274x849) Image search: [Google]
Home-made-Salami-1.jpg
1 MB, 1274x849
>>684674
I actually make my own homemade salami.

I used to be fat but followed a keto diet to lose the weight and now try to maintain a high fat diet.

Making Salami is simple, I just use salt and paprika. In the UK you can buy fatty pork for between £2-3 at the supermarket, get the freshest you can get. When well dried I've had no problems with it lasting 2 weeks in the heat. It's also super energy dense and makes your pack pretty light. Goes great with almost any other food and can be heated if you like. After 2 weeks you still won't be sick of the flavour.

Salami is about 80% of my food on hiking trips.
>>
>>691922
Oh wow. I want to go camping soon but I don't know what foods I can take. I don't get how you can cook thinks that require water outdoors. Doesn't the water need to be cleaned? Does simply boiling it really make it safe to cook with? If so what's the deal with the water cleaning chemical/tablets? I'm very confused. Help. Where can I get a well priced/decent sized pot that hangs. Can that just be put over an open fire? HELP
>>
>>691922
I was going to say exactly this
>>
>>691928
I don't know why I laughed so hard when you said salami was 80% of your food. I just picture some guy walking through the woods with dozens of rolls of salami hanging off his pack.
>>
>>691930
Boiling it makes it safe.

Some pots can just be put over a fire.

A Stanley cook pot is $25 on amazon. You can put them over coals t boil water. It's the only pot I carry for cooking.

You don't need tablets if you boil the water. The tablets are for purifying water that is not boiled.

A water filter like a life straw or sawyer works well, that will also filter out any particles like dirt and leaves.
>>
>>691964
Like "howdy go camper I'm Tommy Salami nice to meet you!" And then he offers you some salami. You're all like "hey man I don't want to eat all your salami" and Tommy is just like "aw hell man I've got a whole fucking bag full of this shit eat all you want"
>>
File: 817-resized-600.png (24 KB, 335x275) Image search: [Google]
817-resized-600.png
24 KB, 335x275
>>691922
not around me they won't!
>>
>MFW This whole thread
>>
>>684842
bring brennevin
>>
>>692758
>brennevin
Had it once, together with Hákarl. It tasted so bad that I had to eat another piece of Hákarl just to get the taste out of my mouth.
>>
>>684851
>Hmm, of course, havnt seen this in the USA, but I think we have something similar in some local asian markets. Bags of thousands of dried minnows/dried fillets.
Also try Russian/Slav ethnic shops, dried fish is also on their diet.
>>
When it comes to your long term supply, you want food that will last decades.

Pemmican, fruit leather, hard tack, honey, and real cheese sealed in wax. All these will last DECADES.

The trick with everything except cheese is to completely drive out the water content and vacuum seal it. The honey is fine.

Pemmican is basically dried beef mixed with rendered tallow in a 50/50 mix, the tallow must be rendered to drive out moisture and the tallow must also be from a grass fed animal.

I believe blue cheese can be used as an emergency penicillin source.. people that are allergic to penicillin can't eat blue cheese and the mold is a penicillium strain.

All these foods are incredibly energy dense. The hundreds of pounds of meat and fat from an entire bison would only make 50 pounds of pemmican and eating one pound of fruit leather would be like eating ten pounds of fruit, maybe more.
>>
>>684836

Pemmican.

See my above post.

Pemmican has an interesting history, too.
>>
My bad, the water content of fruit is usually between 80-90% so eating one pound of fruit leather would be like eating 8-9 pounds of fruit.

Ten pounds was exaggerating slightly.

The best backpacking foods have always been there.

Hard tack is amazing if you have soup mix, eating hard tack without softening it in liquid is asking for a dentist visit. There's hard tack from the American civil war that's still edible.
>>
>>686389
That's a pretty good philosophy actually, better than coming here with all sorts of mundane questions that you oughta solve on your own. Some self reliance doesn't hurt.
>>
>>693121

Self reliance is one thing, but the internet is kinda vast and there's a lot of bullshit.

Every question you ask, you have to wade through a lot of shit to get the truth and its usually a lie anyways. Tons of propaganda out there. Tons of shitty cooks. So it's obvious there are some bad recipes on the internet.

The philosophy behind asking a question is there is a possibility that it's faster than looking for yourself. Kinda like how the law is so vast and convoluted, it's easier to get a lawyer. And because there are others on the same searches as you, might be able to help you with your search and spare you bullshit you would have had to go through
>>
>>693125
>The philosophy behind asking a question is there is a possibility that it's faster than looking for yourself.
that is incredibly lazy, and it's a bad idea on /out/ because it's a slow board
the information you get here is not any more reliable than google results either

most questions you have in life has already been answered and someone has written about the solution online
>>
>>684674

In most of Europe you can get something like pic related that only needs water.

FUN FACT: The thing with adding milk or something like that is actually a psychology thing. First all of ready made dishes (starting with cakes) were all-in-one sets, but the housewives wouldn't want to buy them as they were ashamed of not doing anything on their own basically. So they made them add an egg or milk or something like that that they brought in on their own. This made them feel more like they made it on their own and they were less ashamed to buy it. (See: Edward Bernayse)
>>
>>684750
Get out of my life faggot
>>
>>693128
>the information you get here is not any more reliable than google results either
This guy gets it.
More than 50% of the answers on this board are pure BS/troll/shit posts. That said, sure, sometimes you'll get a gold nugget of information but you sure as sell need to be able to distinguish the gold from the, uh, well, not so gold.
>>
Try shit like this. One bag last for about three meals.
https://queal.eu/about-queal/#ingredients
>>
>>685113
>Okay, so boiling water and seeing if Knorr noodles are edible without milk and butter would wear your paramedic out to the point they can't perform their duties?
He asked if it could be done without those, and in the bag. Maybe he has a shred of intelligence (of which you seem to be lacking) and thought, as someone here has already pointed out, that by doing so could leach chemicals into the food. There is literally nothing wrong with asking advice from people who know more about a subject than you do.
>>
>>684983
This shit is great, I usually add some dehydrated ground beef and dehydrated diced potatoes for variety.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 52

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.