[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some /out/ activities that I can partake in while at
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5
File: 3425478934.jpg (9 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
3425478934.jpg
9 KB, 275x183
What are some /out/ activities that I can partake in while at college in an urban area? Campus and the surrounding area has very little green space so I'm kinda out of luck.
>>
Make yourself an indoor garden then take care of your plants. It's very calming and peaceful .
Also a great idea to plant some air cleansing plants like snakes tongue , pot mums or bamboo palm .
>>
>>673470

Urban exploration after hours is always fun. Just beware of Pakis, Arabs,security guards and gangster niggers who will try to bother you .
>>
>>673475
good idea thank you
>>
>>673470
My son started as a freshman last fall on a city campus. He has found a few places to fish within walking / bicycle distance that surprised me. Mostly in rivers but I think he found some quarry ponds next to a freeway that were pretty good.
>>
>>673470
where are you going? does it have any /out/ clubs or classes you can take? what's your transportation situation?
>>
>>673470
Dig foxholes around your campus.
>>
>>673478
This, when I can't make the time for overnight trips and longer hikes I usually urbex. There is a lot of stuff to explore around where I go to school, even though they are starting to revamp some of it to improve the city. I also go to a large university so there is a lot to do just around campus, even if it isn't abandoned and spoopy.
>>
>>673470
Urban freerunning/parkour.
College campuses themselves are usually good for this too.
>>
File: 6867153621_e9a9a3827e_o.jpg (4 MB, 3072x2304) Image search: [Google]
6867153621_e9a9a3827e_o.jpg
4 MB, 3072x2304
Depends on the city. I got into bicycle touring when I was at uni. 0-2 times a month I'd start riding when I got out of class on Friday afternoon and get back Sunday evening after covering 120-200 miles or so. My campus was adjacent to lots of /out/ areas, but I'd get at least 40 miles away before I set up camp.

Pick is from my very first tour. I got to see some nice stuff on that trip, and it opened me up to worlds of opportunity.
>>
>>675444

Dude, where'd you go to uni? Because that's a nice ass view.
>>
File: 8282690746_bfded8afad_k.jpg (593 KB, 2048x463) Image search: [Google]
8282690746_bfded8afad_k.jpg
593 KB, 2048x463
>>676182
Oregon State. There's plenty of /out/ nearby, but the pic is from Green Peter Lake, ~50 miles away.

This is from a different trip near Cougar Dam, 50 miles further south.

My point was that biking can give you the range to get /out/ even if you live in a city.
>>
>>673470
Drink lots of beer.

Honestly, you are better off going to college in a larger urban city than some fuck-all corn town. Unless you were at a smaller school in Wisconsin or some shit where the "outdoors" are 1/2mi off of campus.

I went to a Big 10 school that was in a typical college town in the middle of cornfields and it was god-awful. Transferred to a school in a large city and it was so much better. At this point in my life, I would probably be down to go to one of those schools in Wisconsin or the U.P. in Michigan where there are lakes and wilderness right outside the dorms.
>>
File: DSC_0070.jpg (2 MB, 5000x620) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0070.jpg
2 MB, 5000x620
>>676193
And one more from an area a bit further away (on the moon) I visited on Memorial Day weekend.
>>
>>673470
Like the other guy said, going to college in a real city is then greatest.

My school had, and many others have, a Mountain Club, which owned a lodge in the mountains of New Hampshire and ran vans out there every weekend. Loads of guys used that lodge and transit as a base for backpacking trips and the presidential traverse. People climb at indoor gyms and arrange trips to climb outdoors when the weather's good. I managed to go fishing in an urban river to good effect. People sailed in the bay, skiid Nordic at a dank track nearby and downhilled a mere 45 minute trip from campus.

I had a whole plan for how I was going to hunt the New Hampshire deer season by flying in to Manchester and storing a rifle up there, but never got around to doing so.
>>
See if your college has any outdoor clubs like camping, hiking, or even geology
>>
>>676201
New England has so many tremendous college areas both urban and rural.
>>
>>677528
Good advice, my university had a fishing club.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.