[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
urban survival tips
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: cascadia.png (151 KB, 840x336) Image search: [Google]
cascadia.png
151 KB, 840x336
So I thought it might be worth it just for the hell of it to have an urban disaster survival thread for the sake of the pacific northwesterners on the board. I happen to be a seismologist but not an earthquake seismologist. Still I know some things.

earthquakes work on a logarithmic scale. so each digit up is 10 times worse than the last. the following is a rough guide based on how long it lasts:

1 minute - 7s
2 minutes - 8s
3 minutes - high 8s
4 minutes - 9s

your area isn't really ready for an earthquake. A lot of buildings are not really built well enough. There will probably be a lot of falling glass and debris. get under something sturdy or get out and to the open if you can do it safely. If you have a bug out bag now is the time to grab it. most of your standard stuff.

After it's over could be 10s of minutes before a tsunami hits. Watch out if you are around rivers or streams as they could flood substantially upstream. water would likely be sucked out initially but will flood back heavily. Either get inside a sturdy building with at least a second floor or get to higher ground. You could be trapped for a night out there so having a flashlight, lighter, wool blanket, poncho, water ...could be key.

If you made it past that point likely you're looking at about 2 months of no power/water/utilities. Bleach is a readily available long term water purification solution. 2-4 drops per liter/quart depending on how cold/dirty it is. paint thinner can be used as zippo fuel and new flints can be obtained from spent bics. watch out for collapsing buildings (aftershocks will happen). You could end up with no gear, no home, no nothing and in that case the info (I'm hoping will be posted) in this thread could be very useful.

In regard to warnings, if you ever notice animals going nuts all at once just try to be ready for something to happen. There is a faster seismic wave that animals can pick up on (basically the sound wave in the ground).
>>
>>655865
to be explicit this is just info for surviving a massive earthquake scenario, during and after.
>>
>>655865
You forgot liquefaction.
>>
Pretty sure the government would just step in and provide food and shelter.
I wouldn't worry about it.
>>
>>656062
There'd be at least a week or two of WROL, probably longer in cities like SF, LA and Seattle.
>>
>>656103
You should be ready to bug in if anything, roving gangs will try to kill people for anytging if recent disasters elsewhere are any indication. Have a group of friends and be armed. Be a gray man and avoid conflict.
>>
>>656103
i don't recall anything like that happening in SF and Oakland after the Loma Prieta quake. We mostly just helped each other out.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.