[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
RADIOS
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5
File: baofenguv5rv2_main.jpg (609 KB, 1229x3012) Image search: [Google]
baofenguv5rv2_main.jpg
609 KB, 1229x3012
g'devening and merry xmas

just got one of these babbys and the corresponding programming cable for xmas, any tips?
here's what i've discovered so far
>fm radio
>fm dual band scanner/transceiver
>flashlight
>rescue beacon
>general, manual frequency programming
>manual programming is much like my father's radioshack '528' police scanner
>general menu navigation
>kenwood compatible
>CHIRP is GOAT
the instructions it came with weren't very clear, so i'm confident i missed a lot of features so far

also, general radio thread
>>
What do you use it for?
>>
File: 1446545641218.png (616 KB, 900x1136) Image search: [Google]
1446545641218.png
616 KB, 900x1136
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arpGoThEtCE

This video is part 1 of 3 that walk you through all the features of the radio, how to set it up and program it with chirp.

Program all the frequencies in pic related, and fill the remaining space with the FRS/MURS frequencies as well as local repeaters.

Thats a start.
>>
just found the pic I was looking for. Program all these 98 frequencies plus the ones I mentioned.
>>
Sorry one more thing. The stock antenna with those is shit. This is the basic one you want to get to replace it.

http://www.amazon.com/Authentic-NA-771-15-6-Inch-SMA-Female-BaoFeng/dp/B00KC4PWQQ
>>
>>653214
scanner/fm radio/emergency innawoods radio
gonna get my license this spring so i can ham
>>
>>653221
this is great and all but no pl tones
>>
You shouldn't even OWN anything that can transmit outside of CB unless you have the proper ham license.

Protip: Ham licenses are so piss-easy to get that elementary school students can get them and you don't even need to know morse code anymore.
>>
>>653221
>>653224
>>653227
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y85mzlrfOXg
>>
>>653335
There is a crapload of unlicensed packeting and Morse on 2M in my area (Portland OR). Shit happens. As long as they aren't tx on em comm frequencies it isn't personally hurting me but yes, they could easily get triangulated and busted. It's one of those things that the more you know the more you are aware of how dumb something is but someone green to ham may not understand how you could get traced.
>>
>>653335

It's legal to own them, just illegal to push the transmit button while on a ham channel.
>>
>>653851
>It's legal to own them, just illegal to push the transmit button while on a ham channel.

Which is why I said "shouldn't" instead of "can't".
>>
File: radioooz.jpg (4 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
radioooz.jpg
4 MB, 5312x2988
hello from /k, i just got a (pic related) i would like to know all the tricks and hints and hardware you guys recommend. Ham licence sounds like something i should look in to. anyone got a link for dat?
>>
>>653882
Where are you at?
>>
>>653882

Hey man! If you don't already have the cable that allows connection to the computer, get that first. Then get a nagoya-771 antenna. Check out my earlier posts for links to CHIRP tutorials. CHIRP is a super useful program that allows you to do all kinds of nifty customization and programming things with your radio. It only took me about 15 minutes to learn how to do it. Then check out the frequencies I posted. Be sure to look into the frequencies of local "repeaters" for your area. Look up what repeaters are.
>>
>>653882
If you're discouraged trying to manually program your oingoboingofeng, don't worry, it's usually easier on other radios.
>>
>>653869

Meh. It's illegal to kill someone with a knife. Does that mean I "shouldn't" own one? Your implication was that people shouldn't own things that can potentially be used to illegal actions. I just believe that argument to be inherently nonsensical.
>>
>>653893
Central WA travel all over NW for work..West MT to coast, canada to cali.
>>653897
ordering cable on amazon as we speak. As for ant, i look over some of the 4 foot house stuff then the portable.

im looking forward to being all chatty and stuff.
>>
>>653907

Nice! what antennas have you been looking into? I'm definitely still a beginner myself and have been thinking about getting a larger maybe fixed antenna. The nagoya is all I have currently so I have to hike a mountain to hear anything interesting.
>>
>>653903
>Does that mean I "shouldn't" own one?
Yes. Yes it does.
>>
>>653931
Brit logic
>>
>>653923
VHF is all about elevation and line of sight. Put your efforts into getting the antenna up as high as you can. Even a 1/4 wave whip mounted above the roofline will be better than a high gain antenna at ground level.
>>
>>653224
i personally do not agree with how these are programmed in, but that is personal preference. one of the most valuable freqs for an emergency is 16 marine, and as i was brought up on the water i like having it as 16. also the uhf and vhf calling frequencies need to be very easy to find, as well as search and rescue and gmrs 1. personally i keep my local noaa at 0, gmrs starts in the 20s with 1 at 21, rescue at 1, uhf calling at 2, vhf calling at 3, then i fill up named repeaters. 9 is marine 9 and 13 is marine 13. those are sort of important on the water. also i use 62 as marine 62, that is pretty much the local talk around on the water. there is virtually no reason to program in the rest of the marine freqs.

program in all of the gmrs though, they can be useful always. but i wouldnt put them at the start. i would put them in areas where you can remember where they are.
>>
>>653950
No, it's just that most people on 4chan shouldn't be around sharp objects. Even with supervision.
>>
>>653903
>Your implication was that people shouldn't own things that can potentially be used to illegal actions.

No, it wasn't.
>>
>>653974

It was though :/ I just explained to you logically how that is true...
>>
>>653984
It's really not. When would you need a license to operate a knife? Why would you go straight from amateur radio operation to assault with a deadly weapon? Are you from /k/?
>>
>>654001

False equivalency. You don't need a license to operate the radio. You also don't need a license to operate a knife. Using the radio on certain frequencies is illegal. Using the knife in certain ways is illegal.

It's about intention.
>>
>>654006
One is a regulatory contravention the other is a criminal offense. One is dealt with under administrative law and the other is dealt with under criminal law. One involves broadcasting non-ionizing radiation and the other involves murder. Perhaps you'd like to revisit the definition of false equivalency and try again.
>>
File: VX-5RS.jpg (83 KB, 229x481) Image search: [Google]
VX-5RS.jpg
83 KB, 229x481
I've been a HAM for almost 15 years and have just dusted off my VX-5RS for some backpacking in 2016.

Programming in 100 emergency stations seems excessive. I'll just do a few FRS, all the VHF/UHF calls, and a few repeaters for the Pacific NW where I live.

Any suggestions for good repeaters/nets around Portland, OR?
>>
>>654625
I'm interested as well. Seems like there is a lot of Portland in this thread. I've also seen a lot of packeting activity as >>653839 has mentioned. I guess Portland as a whole doesn't have hams hunting down unlicensed operation (which is chill desu). I'm wondering why more UrbEx in this city don't use ham, it's so easy to use and it's considerably more reliable than cell. With UV5R at 26 dollars on Amazon there's absolutely no reason not to own one of these things.
>>
>>654684
>>654625

I'm on vacation now but when I'm in town I want to do some scanning, and also check out the McMenamins as well as The Benson frequencies. Both are near the HAM VHF spectrum. See:

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?aid=4001
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.