[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Apocalypse Survival Guide
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 6
File: Fall_-_Last_Days_of_Gaia.jpg (200 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Fall_-_Last_Days_of_Gaia.jpg
200 KB, 1024x768
Hey /out/, i am working on a survival guide for an Apocalypse.

so far i have consulted /pol/ and /k/. now i am here to get advise on these topics:

-survivng in rural areas
-rebuilding civlization in the aftermath

the other topics that i need information on is in the guide itself: http://pastebin.com/nKpnPf9K

if you can give me information about any of these topics too, that would be awesome too.
>>
also general bugout bag advise would be appreciated
>>
>>650627

You should ask /k/ they day dream about this shit all the time. /out/ version of bugging out, is more or less our normal /out/ gear, with just more food, water, some documents, some other crap.
>>
File: Bivouacs.jpg (72 KB, 400x338) Image search: [Google]
Bivouacs.jpg
72 KB, 400x338
>>650629
bump
>>
>>650630
/k/ told me to ask /out/ and /out/ tells me to ask /k/.
>>
>>650631
Top left looks like it will drop those rocks on you at the first gust of wind.
>>
>>650631
stupidest shit i've ever seen, holy shit
>>
You're going to be dead without some friends.

Forget about lone wolf shit, you can't stand watch 24/7.

You need to think in terms of finding a group of people that you are willing to bet your life on, and then building a survival strategy together.
>>
>>650661
exactly what i plan to do m8, dont worry it will be included
>>
>>650627
These threads pop up regularly, and I never see new survival books at B&N. The reasons for this are simple, usually the writer isn't experienced enough to be instructing others, and be real here, you're asking for content from strangers on the internet... and the other reason is that when someone wants to learn the basics, they get pointed to the Army Field Guide instead of commercial books. Not to mention that it's a pretty niche market.

That said, it's awesome that you're interested in learning out skills, and even more awesome that you want to share what you learn. Its just the medium that's wrong. Start a website. Once you're making decent money off ad revenue and have a good reputation as a... ugh, bushmaster... then you sell a booklet with information that people should carry on them, like common edible plant identification and how to build shelters. The other stuff like how to pack a bag right and putting together a team is stuff they'll look up online anyway.
>>
>>650685
i don't want to commercialize it. i want to make this guide for my anon friends
>>
>>650687
Ah. But why not make some scratch from all your hard work? Hell, even if you just compiled a .pdf and gave it away for free, I think you should at least throw a BTC address on there and accept donations.

Again, though... I think it's great that you want to do this. I'd be more than willing to help out, too, if you'd like.
>>
>>650693
sure, proof-read everything i have written so far through and if you like you can give me some more information about the missing topics
as of right now i have covered general bugout advise and nuclear detonation

http://pastebin.com/apDhS8AW
>>
You should ask /diy as well.

you will need a lot of how stuff works engineering knowledge in the aftermath of apocalypse
>>
>>650699
i plan to do that. thanks.
>>
>>650695
You mention storing fuel. Make sure to let people know they need to use fuel stabilizers and cycle stores so it stays fresh.

Using a microwave as a faraday cage is brilliant. I would never have thought of that.

Is nuclear as far as you've gotten, or did I miss something?
>>
>>650702
thats the basic nuclear knowledge, the outdoor survival part will be covered in it's own chapter.

expand on the fuel stabilizers a bit more i dont really know all that much about that topic.
>>
>>650627
>so far i have consulted /pol/
>>
>>650627
>>650627
I'm not experienced enough to help with /out/ shit but I honestly think info on first-aid and medicine would be the most important.

As well as including sufficient info on first aid I'd recommend either
Where There Is No Doctor: A Village Health Care Handbook for Africa, or
Handbook of Medicine in Developing Countries
Check if your local library has either of those or anything similar.
>>
>>650702
Food is probably the biggest issue many people will have.

I discovered some general rules about edibles, that are easier to remember than trying to identify every single plant (north America, at least):

There are no poisonous crown berries, there are no poisonous compound berries, and there are no poisonous fruits that look like strawberries. Anything with four petals and six pistils is a mustard, all parts of all mustards are edible (mustards include brocolli, cauliflower and many others). Anything with a round stem, bladed leaves that wrap the stem and have a single seed pod at the top is a grass, all parts of all grasses are edible (grasses include rice, corn, wheat, cat-tails and others). All birds, all fresh water fish and all mammals are edible.
>>
>>650705
My grandfather was a mechanic, he's always said that if you store gasoline, it will go bad if you don't use sta-bil in your gas can. That's all I can really tell you. I think gasoline gels.
>>
>>650715
ok but this guide meant to store the fuel a small time before the happening begins instead of years ahead.
>>
>>650718
short time*
>>
>>650627
Salt is more important than modern Americans think it is. Long hikes in high heat deplete you of sodium, resulting in hyponatremia, which feels like dehydration but is worsened by drinking water. There's a reason salt used to be worth it's weight in gold. Salt is the electrolytes that make Gatorade work. Make sure you have a way of replenishing it.
>>
File: stilll.jpg (13 KB, 268x188) Image search: [Google]
stilll.jpg
13 KB, 268x188
5gallon jerrycans,,, aged 30years., Ethenol.
,burnit?,, or make lots more?, save the gud stuff.
>>
>>650718
Fair enough, but you may not know when teotwawki will happen, its best to haves stores of fuel, food and medical supplies before you need them. You could probably get away with just cycling fuel, which isn't a bad idea anyway, because gas is usually about $1/gal cheaper in winter anyway, so why not stock up and use it throughout the expensive summer months?
>>
i posted my info library a few week ago, but it looks like the thread is gone now

here you go: https://mega.nz/#!TltnRBaT!oU1cwnMRR_SqsN_AA4XtmB7a84yS_EUawtQa8GM7rP0
>>
>>650632

Maybe ask /adv/ seeing as you are asking for advice.
>>
>>650661

You truly don't need ppl to watch out for you. It is nice to have but not needed. Just don't sleep out in the open like a retard.

Harder to move a group of ppl.
You have to move at the group pace, not your own.
Stuff usually ends up being a group decision and not your own.

I stayed behind for Katrina (due to not being able to leave my business behind, as well as being prepped)

Having more ppl there would of just been a hassle.

Now shut your mouth faggot, you clearly talking from an armchair survivalist point of view.
>>
>>650722
Hey dude, I'm really curious. I see you post a lot and I have to wonder, why do you type in such an odd way?
>>
Me and my m8's ARE The Lone Wolves!
>>
>>650804
>not knowing baconrider
he's a paraplegic recumbent bike rider from /n/
>>
>>650804
because he's blind drunk on homemade spirits.
>>
>>650631
>I have never been outside: the image
top left will crush you in your sleep
top right and bottom left offer no thermal protection.
bottom right is really the only decent shelter, if you ignore the 3m by 2.5m shit.
>>
File: 1446318505490.jpg (84 KB, 500x363) Image search: [Google]
1446318505490.jpg
84 KB, 500x363
>>650627
about that guy

get a regular innawoods survival guide (SAS guide and such) and one for urban survival like the one by Cody Lundin (some people hate the writing, but the stuff itself is good) combine the two for your apocalypse needs
>>
>>651221
meant guide, duh
>>
File: the-knowledge.jpg (143 KB, 338x468) Image search: [Google]
the-knowledge.jpg
143 KB, 338x468
>>650627
>rebuilding civlization in the aftermath
>>
File: The Long Dark.jpg (449 KB, 1300x2012) Image search: [Google]
The Long Dark.jpg
449 KB, 1300x2012
>>650627
I suggest you play the game "The Long Dark". It can help you get into the right frame of mind and learn some skills with logistics and materials usage. Pirate the latest version if you have to. You can even install it in a sandbox like Sandboxie if you are afraid of viruses.

Also, check out 3 things,

http://www.primitiveways.com/

and

Build Your Own Metal Working Shop From Scrap (Complete 7 Book Series) - by David J. Gingery
http://www.amazon.com/Build-Metal-Working-Complete-Series/dp/1878087355

and

>The Truth about Leadership: The No-fads, Heart-of-the-Matter Facts You Need to Know - by James M. Kouzes
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0470633549
>>
>>650627
here is my guide: if civilization collapse
>1) get a knife
>2) kill everyone you care for
>3) cut your wrist too
cause everything that follows will be way worse
>>
>>650627
>apocalypse

Keep in mind, if there is ever a massive sudden complete meltdown of social civilization, the best course of action is to band together as many people as you can. Organize them for food, shelter, and defense. The more people that join up the better you can weather things.

Being a lone survivor just means you'll wonder from place to place being confronted by other large groups of people.

Because of radically bad food situations much of places like the USA will look like a kicked anthill, with people scouring every nook and cranny for viable on-demand food. So, organizing the people as fast as possible and reestablishing new or old food supplies is the top most goal.

This sort of thing can move more smoothly if you and your local block, suburb, town, and/or neighbors actually plan out such things in advance. Like how to organize the group, how to manage food, shelter, medical, and outsiders.

Hunger can be a real fucking bitch.

You should really really read a book called "Lucifer's Hammer". It is pretty awesome actually and deals with this exact problem. Much of the philosophy in it can be applied to real world situations.
>>
>>652032
http://www.amazon.com/Knowledge-Rebuild-Civilization-Aftermath-Cataclysm/dp/0143127047

>Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought

God damn it, I'm not made of money. There's too much I want to add to my library.

>>652049
>Lucifer's Hammer

There's a part in that book where someone puts a catch of well-wrapped and protected books on knowledge and rebuilding into a septic tank that is full of shit so he can get it later when it comes time to rebuild, knowing no one will ever go into a septic tank for any reason, and it will be very well protected from the cataclysm.

That is on audio book too,

https://kat.cr/larry-niven-and-jerry-pournelle-novel-lucifer-s-hammer-audio-book-t2909992.html

and in this pack

https://kat.cr/audiobook-collection-flood-scifi-top-100-sci-fi-audio-books-51-to-75-zipped-and-renamed-to-zab-t9469833.html
>>
>>652049
>Band together as many people as you can. Organize them for food.

Eat the fastest ones first. That way, if you have to run, they don't slow you down.

Seriously, though... this is pretty good info. I would go off on my own and avoid groups, but that would drive most people crazy, not to mention the fact that no one can be an expert in everything. Its always a good idea to have medical and military expertise as well as people who know construction, mechanical and electrical engineering.
>>
>>652047
>>652062
>The Long Dark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECHnqMklU1A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzxD7VFVrCw

This is what you'd have to look forward to alone.
>>
>>652049
>Lucifer's Hammer

There's also Dies The Fire by S.M. Stirling. It's fiction, so you can't treat it as a how-to book. It does, however, have the protagonists (and antagonists) dealing with the typical problems that would crop up immediately post-apoc. Fairly detailed, too. Not a bad read at all, if you like sci-fi. Be warned that it's the first book in a series, though.

John Ringo gives his take on post-apoc organization and issues in There Will Be Dragons. Again, lead book in a (sci-fi) series.

For more contemporary reading, look for One Second After by William R. Forstchen. Post-apoc America right after an EMP attack. Full disclosure: I didn't finish it because I'm more into sci-fi and stuff like Pratchett.

In the nonfiction category, I would recommend The Encyclopedia of Country Living by Carla Emery. An amazing compendium of knowledge. If you can have only 1 book, this would be that book.
>>
>>653272
>>>/lit/

Just kidding. Anyone else have recommendations? It's hard to find anything that's more "Robinson Crusoe" and less "Swiss family Robinson".
>>
>>653388
Bumping because I second this request.
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.