[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Revenant
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 102
Thread images: 12
File: revenant.jpg (240 KB, 1800x1012) Image search: [Google]
revenant.jpg
240 KB, 1800x1012
Anyone else /out/ there psyched for this movie?

Also /out/ movies general I guess.
>>
>>649125
So stoked. I'm thinking a spiritual successor to Jeremiah Johnson? If you want /out/ movies...
>>
/tv/ says innaritu is a meme director - what do they mean by this?
>>
>>649134
/tv/ doesn't like any movies.

I have yet to see them all say. Something is good. They will find the smallest things to sperg about.
>>
if only leo could play something besides whiny bitch. why does everyone have a hard-on for him as an actor? he just snivels his way through every role
>>
>>649134
any and everything is a meme
/tv/ is shite, don't listen to anything they say
>>
>>649125
Yeah, anything with Tom Hardy is a must see for me at this point.

I just wonder what will happen if Tom Hardy was to win an academy award for best supporting actor and Leo goes home empty handed...
>>
>Tom hardy
>leo dicaprio
>inspired by frontiersman hugh glass
>mauled by bear
>left for dead
>classic man against nature fight for survival

Yeh im hype.

>>649137
i get what your saying while i respect your opinion, i disagree, he plays broken people well, his performances have a lot of emotion in them, i think hell do well in the role.

>>649213
i agree, i havent seen hardy in a film that he didnt deliver in.
>>
Most excited I've been for a movie for quite some time, I honestly expect the movie to be better than the book from the trailers. They look great and the plot alterations they expose lend themselves better to a screenplay character's cause for his determination and anger than trying to paste in his whole backstory and expect the viewer to understand why the rifle was important. The misery they're saying that went into filming it hopefully provided a lot of perspective and fuel for the actors but hopefully it doesn't lean too much on the Hollywood "you hurt my family" motivation for invincible and unstoppable revenge.
The book wasn't explicitly bad, don't get me wrong, it was just very understated, plainly written, and lost any sense of anticipation or excitement after Glass almost dies for the Nth time, even if it was usually his wits that kept him alive.
>>
>>649134
It means they think he doesn't produce enough movies that sexualize underage girls.
>>
I guess there's already a DVD rip on private torrent sites. Im still gonna wait and see it in theaters.
>>
>>649289

Yea I don't really understand the reasoning he gets left for dead and then the reasoning for the revenge seeking. Expecting it to make more sense in the movie.
>>
File: rev2.jpg (148 KB, 1580x790) Image search: [Google]
rev2.jpg
148 KB, 1580x790
>>649125

Shiiiit I haven't let myself get this excited for a movie in a long time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoebZZ8K5N0

What makes me most interested is that they use natural lighting and very little CGI. I always hated CGI, it has to be used very very sparingly. Hollywood has gone nuts with CGI the past 10 years or so. None of it looks real. Hearing how much suffering and misery the production crews went through to shoot this movie tells me no shortcuts were taken.

Hollywood is in a state of CGI overload. Something has to change and someone needs to make a statement, maybe this movie is it.
>>
>>649552
so basically he's a gay faggot?
>>
>To prevent gangrene, Glass laid his wounded back on a rotting log and let maggots eat the dead flesh.

this guy is pretty cool i'd say
>>
>>649125

There is a screener of it on kickass already. Already half way through it, amazing quality.
>>
>>649808
It's on primewire too, this is a quality film.
>>
>>649134
A hack who is popular with movie goers who believe they are a cut above the rest, but the director lacks real artistry.
>>
>>649883

It's a good movie. Watched it last night when I was drunk / high as fuck, all the while creating my DnD world. Now gonna watch it again with just being high, not doing crap.
>>
Pretty good and entertaining, some of the survival stuff he does is questionable.
Not gonna spoiler it but the horse shelter and falling into freezing cold rivers and being soaking wet hardly threatened his life, he just starts a really small campfire and goes to sleep on the river bank in his soaking wet clothes and it's a cold environment.
>>
>>649649
>>649649
I'm guessing he got left behind because they couldn't be bothered to haul his broken ass for miles to save him. I would've been a clean decision but his son got all emotional about ol' pops getting capped so he made a fuss and ended up getting ded. I just hope that the film isn't just about 'you deaded muh son'.
>>
>>650045

It is. Son got shanked, dad just left for dead. Dad heals enough and goes get revenge. They decided to leave him, cause Indians were on their ass, he was slowing them down.
>>
>>649125
I liked Birdman. The pace was a little too much, but I liked it. Considering going to the theatre to see it, haven't gone since There Will be Blood.
>>
>>650045
>>650079
>I'm guessing he got left behind because they couldn't be bothered to haul his broken ass for miles to save him.
Basically this. They were bearing him on a litter, on foot mind you. You can see this is one of the trailers and hints of the difficulty and pace involved. All their pack animals and horses save one mule that got itself stuck were stolen. They had a fort to reach at minimum before winter came in hard, through hostile Indian territory no less. Henry couldn't just leave an experienced and looked up to man to die, the company was demoralized and starting to show doubt to begin with. So instead of simply abandoning him or killing him two men (presumably three in the movie as they added a son) are voluntarily left behind to tend to him and see he gets a proper burial. They too however face a dilemma, the longer they stay the further behind both the company and their timeline they become all the while malingering in hostile land.
>>650037
It wasn't that bad in the book but how hard providence is watching out for him did get a little tedious.
>>
moar revenant vids plx
>>
>>649805
Where is that from? A historical account?
I'd say how the Punke's story differs but I don't want to spoil shit that be in the movie.
>>
>>649134
It means he makes movies that are well received by the general public, and not just niche communities on Indonesian Sauna Designing forums.

It's like /mu/ with anything that isn't incoherent noise/yelling.
>>
>>649213
The only thing I don't like is that Hardy is the bad guy. I'm such a huge fan, and I hate seeing my favorite actors as villains. Bane was kind of an exception.
>>
The trailers really make me wish that I could live in that time. Not necessary the smallpox and witch trials aspect, but the fact that north america was just so goddamned empty. Could you imagine, an entire continent, completely devoid of infrastructure, buildings, cities, or really anything? Only populated by small communities of indigenous people? All that potential to explore, all that untainted nature; laid out for you to experience. It's kind of sad that there truly is nothing left on this earth that is "mysterious" or unexplored in regards to land. Sure the ocean is a mystery, but you can't camp there.

Just gives me feels, I don't know man.
>>
>>649137
Leo envy much? He is one of the few hollywood kweers i actually like. Gangs of new york, aviator, this boys life, all great as fuck and no sniveling detected in any of em,
>>
>>649125

I watched it yesterday. Its "Valhalla Rising" meets "Dances with Wolves". Probably the most brutal movie Ive seen in a while. Breathtakingly intense.

Very /out/.
>>
File: 20151203_143129.jpg (1 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20151203_143129.jpg
1 MB, 3264x1836
>>650317

There's a mind boggling amount of land in Alberta (where most of the movie was filmed) that has never been seen or touched by a human. You can do 10 day backcountry camping trip and you won't see a single trace of a human. Go do an abandoned fur trade trail in period correct gear if you want to feel what they felt.
>>
>>649125
>murdered his young Native-American son
... I don't think that's historically accurate.
>>
>>650438
Just wait until those oil-mongering fuckers expand their operations.
>>
They should have cast Dave Canterbury. He wouldn't need lines or costume. He would just be himself and fit right in.
>>
Doesn't Canada mean "there is nothing"?
>>
>>649217
>>650319
to each his own, but every time he's supposed to be angry i just get spoiled brat not getting his way. he's single handedly ruined every movie i've seen with him in it, with the exception of django. of course in that movie he played a spoiled brat not getting his way, so it was pretty much perfect for him. and i gotta give him props for fucking up his hand and keeping going: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72nK7APr6Xs
>>
>>650103

I'm not talking about the trailer, I seen the movie twice. A screener was leaked, so you can go watch the movie now if you don't mind downloading.

Amazing part is when he burns shut the wound on his throat.

Also they didn't volunteer that much. The leader if the group is paying them 300 dollars each to stay behind. Makes sure he gets a proper funeral. Which turns into lies and backstabbing.
>>
>>650241

https://kat.cr/the-revenant-2015-dvdscr-x264-ac3-evo-t11782843.html

go torrent the movie.
>>
>>650636
Is this a shit shakey blurry hand held cam, or a good quality release leaked by some chink movie theater to the black market?
>>
>>649661
the problem is sequels/reboots/ripoffs/extended universe shit, not cgi.

scratch that, the problem is capeshit.
>>
>>650481
I'd don't think he'd be ok with the bear rape
>>
>>650664
>Morning guys Dave Canterbury here with the pathfinder school and today we're gonna talk about being left for dead 200 miles from civilization after being mauled by a grizzly bear
>Alright guys we're gonna check my Native American son's pulse here. Now what I'm looking for is some kind of rhythmic beating coming from this neck area. Remember to use your middle and index fingers, rather than your thumb, so you don't mistake your own pulse for his.
>Alright guys that's all I've got for today. From all of our affiliates and friends here at the Pathfinder School, thanks for watching guys.
>>
File: golden lel.jpg (298 KB, 1462x1462) Image search: [Google]
golden lel.jpg
298 KB, 1462x1462
>>650690
gg bro
>>
>>650440
It was actually his wife's son
>>
>>650463
Says the guy typing on an electronic device.
>>
the whale movie was a better out movie
>>
>>650274
Wiki
>>
Decent, could of shaved 30 min off the film by cutting out him crawling fucking everywhere
>>
>>650690
>>Morning guys Dave Canterbury here with the pathfinder school and today we're gonna talk about being left for dead 200 miles from civilization after being mauled by a grizzly bear
>>Alright guys we're gonna check my Native American son's pulse here. Now what I'm looking for is some kind of rhythmic beating coming from this neck area. Remember to use your middle and index fingers, rather than your thumb, so you don't mistake your own pulse for his.
>>Alright guys that's all I've got for today. From all of our affiliates and friends here at the Pathfinder School, thanks for watching guys.

I lel'd
>>
Bear special FX 11/10 tho
>>
>>650729
>wife's son

KEK
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (265 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
265 KB, 1920x1080
>>650690
loled
>>
>>650729
>his wife's son
You just can't make this shit up.
>>
Watched this last night. It was alright, it wasn't exactly amazing though.
>>
>>651040
Yeah, just watched it and I agree. I liked all the /out/ shots of snow and shit. Makes me wish I had a cabin up north to go to right now.
>>
Man, I hate snow nowadays.. I grew up with it, but after I grew up I hate it. I'm so happy the sun is producing more heat so there is no snow here, and +8 degrees celsius outside today. I'm at 63.something degrees north, and they say we might get a cold snap in january or february but I think it will all fizzle out and I won't have to put on winter boots all winter... :^) if this global warming is man made then I'm getting a 5 liter V8... go climate change!!
>>
>>651063
with global warming you also get more extreme weather
so the comfiness is potentially not that great
>>
>>651064
Hurricanes don't even do shit to our houses and buildings up here, because we have good building codes. I don't care what the environmentalist idiots say about it, we have always had strong winds, the only climate change that could have messed up my living is if it had gotten colder. So what is the big bad global warming monster going to do to me if I don't pay one third of my salary to the United Nations of muslims, so they can continue being parasites?
>>
>>651069
if you live in an area that is wet, it will be even more wet. More rain.

If it's a dry place, it'll be even more dry (like California)

if you weren't such a pussy you could just move to a warmer place instead of thinking that "global warming makes everything nice and warm" meme
>>
>>649125
The only shit part of this movie based off the trailer. Is that he gets attacked by the bear. And didnt even try to body slam it. Or use bear spray.. Like wtf does he really even /out/..

Ill watch it when it comes out on my cable services movie screenings. Most likely.
>>
>>651074
Fuck you and your indoctrinated slave ass. I'm not afraid of the climate, we have rain, we have oxygen, and we have sun. A nice little mix. So you're saying we will get more of all those. I don't know what you're afraid of but it is probably something along the lines of drought or tornados. I don't give a shit about somne third world country disappearing beneath the waves, they can fucking move. I'm not moving, not for anything or anyone. Didn't you hear me say I like it here now?
>>
File: 1428570844134.png (119 KB, 392x366) Image search: [Google]
1428570844134.png
119 KB, 392x366
>>651077
>>
>>651077
you're going all out.. bait is too obvious now
>>
Typical climate pussy: >Every type of weather Will get worse everywhere because the U.N. Said So! Carbon tax Will save our souls! When a coin in the Coffee rings. ..
>>
Fucking autocorrect !!
>>
>>649125
/out/ movies.

All of the movies with/by Dick Proenneke are a given. Alone in the Wilderness 1 and 2, The Frozen North etc.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u42qYdM11Vg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4l2b3qL5Y4

Even more adept than Proenneke at bushcrafting are the Siberian residents in Happy People (I recommend the undubbed 4 hour version)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbhPIK-oBvA (part 1/4)

The Grizzly Man is an interesting uplifting movie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8MjDyfcMmU

Jeremiah Johnson as mentioned previously by anon is a good movie. A somewhat similar movie is Seraphim Falls (2006) w/ Brosnan and Neeson. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0479537/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Into the Wild I guess, if you need a movie long lesson on why it's important to be able to build a smoker and have lots of salt.
>>
>>651063
>Hating snow
Confirmed for having no soul.
>>
>>651143
Care to elaborate as to why hating snow=soulless?
>>
>>651040
yup, also no idea why they made it 2.5 hours long.

movie reminded me of Apocalypto.
>>
>>650307
Pleb desu senpai
>>
>>649661
This is a problem that's been put forward many times.
>>
>>650954

That was the most brutal movie moment of 2013-2015. How that bear charges him....And you just know there is fuck all he can do...
>>
>>649135
DUDE
BIG GUY
LMAO
>>
File: bearrape.webm (3 MB, 720x300) Image search: [Google]
bearrape.webm
3 MB, 720x300
>>649125
seeing as i have never actually been raped by a bear, i was very glad that the bear rape was included. just so we know.

10/10 cgi
>>
I haven't seen anybody recommend the gray yet. I thought it was going to be just another "Liam neeson is badass film." Instead I got a struggle to retain humanity and some feels. Would recommend.
>>
>>652201
2/10 would never see again
>>
>>652201
>The Gray

God some interesting reviews...

Roger Ebert gave the film 3.5 stars out of 4, and wrote that the unrelenting harshness of The Grey so affected him that he departed the screening of a different movie on the same day:[16]

It was the first time I've ever walked out of a film because of the previous film. The way I was feeling in my gut, it just wouldn't have been fair to the next film... There's time for some conversation among the men, and this film, directed by Joe Carnahan and written by him and Ian Mackenzie Jeffers, treats them as individuals. They're not simply a group of victims. The Grey advances with pitiless logic. There are more wolves than men. The men have weapons, the wolves have patience, the weather is punishing. I sat regarding the screen with mounting dread. The movie had to have a happy ending, didn't it? If not "happy," then at least a relief in some sense? Sit through the entire credits. There's one more shot still to come. Not that you wouldn't be content without it.
>>
That was great. Though I wasn't convinced by Leonardo the eternal teenager DiCaprio.
>>
>>652240
Merry christmas kiddo
>>
>>649125
it was mostly horse shit you could clearly tell they rushed the whole thing to get it out in time to make any money off someone who drunkenly thought they bought a ticket to the new star wars film. the dream sequences were literally useless filler.
>>
It's shit
>>
>>649125
Fitzgerald did nothing wrong
>>
>>652240
lol underage b&. Go back to reddit.
>>
The Edge was okay.
>>
>>652201
0/10 never again

>>652196
was very nice scene though I wondered why the bear only attacked superficially then held him down. do bears do this?
>>
>>649125
tried to watch it it's boring as fuark
>>
>>652201
it was retarded bullshit with evil killer wolves
all i felt along the movie that these wolves must be some weaponized version
>>
>>653448

Were the wolves CGI?

I think that's one thing I respect about The Revenant, very little CGI in it. Bear scene appears to have used it sparingly.
>>
>>654402
Mostly they were, there were some practical effects as well like full size anamatronic wolves and im pretty sure there was some footage of real wolves cut in as well.

I was so disappointed by that film...all i wanted to see was liam nèeson fistfight a bunch of wolves.
>>
>>650020
Sounds like an average night for me as well
>>
File: U1URi.jpg (17 KB, 200x230) Image search: [Google]
U1URi.jpg
17 KB, 200x230
>>650317
Oh, this feel...

Again...
>>
File: Jeremiah-Johnson-approves.gif (5 MB, 390x163) Image search: [Google]
Jeremiah-Johnson-approves.gif
5 MB, 390x163
I thought the movie was pretty boring and at 2hrs, needlessly long, most of which
is wasted on DiCaprio endlessly crawling and stumbling across the countryside.

The cinematography is nice but the bleak winter setting only made the movie
even more boring, as everything is white snow or grey rocks. They should have
set it in the autumn to give the viewers something to look at.

If anybody gets an award out of this flick, it’ll be Tom Hardy and not DiCaprio.

As another Anon mentioned, the flash-back / dream sequences were unnecessary
filler to pad out an already too long movie.

And what was up with the Missing Indian Girl?

(dunno how to do the hidden text thing, so I’ll rot13 it)

Ure gevor frnepuvat sbe ure vf n pevgvpny cneg bs gur zbivr ohg ab rkcynangvba vf cerfragrq
sbe ubj fur raqrq hc zvffvat naq jul gur Vaqvnaf gubhtug vg jnf gur Nzrevpna genccref
jub gbbx ure naq abg gur Serapu genccref, jub fbzrubj raqrq hc jvgu ure (juvpu vf
nyfb yrsg harkcynvarq)?

Naq gur raqvat nyfb znqr ab frafr. QvPncevb orngf hc Gbz Uneql naq vf nobhg gb xvyy
uvz jura gur Vaqvnaf fubj hc, (jvgu Zvffvat Vaqvna Tvey) fb QvPncevb yrgf gur Vaqvnaf
xvyy Gbz Uneql vafgrnq. Jul?

“Jeremiah Johnson” and “A Man Called Horse” and are much better wilderness movies.
>>
>>649135

This.

It and /r9k/ are basically places where redditors go to be bitches without losing karma.
>>
I recently saw The Hunter and it was pretty good

Although All is Lost isn't on land I think it qualifies as /out/
>>
How was Heart of the Sea? I quite enjoyed A Narrative of the Most Extraordinary and Distressing Shipwreck of the Whale-Ship Essex.
>>
File: sjdc.jpg (53 KB, 540x361) Image search: [Google]
sjdc.jpg
53 KB, 540x361
I really enjoyed this movie.

The cinematography was epic and really drove home the harshness and indifference of nature. The starkness of the landscape was stunning and just added to the all around bleakness and brutality.

I'll give it 8.5/10 just because people wouldn't be tromping through ice cold rivers nor falling asleep next to tiny and useless fires in the snow, in soaked clothes, in such a nonchalant manner.
>>
>>652201
its one of those special movies that people either enjoy or hate completely.

I enjoyed it quite a bit, I felt quite immersed in the character's struggle, regardless of any wolfish silliness.
>>
>>652240
You must be getting pretty close to getting your learners permit, what a fun age, savor it.

If I could give my 15-16 year old self any advice, it would be to not cuss as much as I did.
>>
>>650641
While you're are correct, you can't deny that anon has a point. CGI is grossly overused.
>>
no,Chinooks are'nt climate change ftfy
>>
>>653427
No. This is not normal bear behavior. Wild bears with very little human exposure will avoid humans. And even if you are attacked by a bear, after the initial few seconds the bear will take off because, OMG, what is this thing? why isn't it dead yet? eek! The way that bears attack will quickly kill something on 4 legs. When a bear attacks a human, we don't tend to die and that freaks the bear out.
Now if the bear has been around human a lot and is familiar and comfortable with them, that's when bad things happen. Never feed bears!
Thread replies: 102
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.