[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Teton Sports
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: 1.jpg (26 KB, 295x500) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
26 KB, 295x500
Does anyone have pros or cons against Teton Sports packs? I ended up buying an Explorer 4000, pic related. I just don't have the cash to get the Gregory I liked a lot. So i got on of these. I hear a lot about other brands, but not much about Teton. This will be a major upgrade to babbys first backpack in my next post.
>>
File: 1.jpg (18 KB, 406x421) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
18 KB, 406x421
This is the piece of crap we bought last year. It was good to start and do some hikes with, and did a short bit of the AT in the GSMNP in October using them. But now that I have more gear, and that Coleman ripped on me, it was time to upgrade. Maybe in a year or two I will spend a few hundred if I keep with backpacking. That Coleman was 45L compared to the 60L on the Teton. The hip strap is garbage, no padding at all. Maybe its good for a day pack, but was horrible for 4 days in the GSM.
>>
I'm excited to have a rain fly for the bag. A couple of outside pouches with water resistant zippers, actual hip belt with padding, actual foam padding on the back. Some say that the bottom pouch on the Explorer is small for some sleeping bags, but I know a lot of people dont stuff right, and i will be purchasing a bag that isn't a synthetic blend that is rated for 20F all year round. That's what we did all last year. So im not worried about that aspect.
>>
I have a teton and I dont really like it. I've also heard stories of people with this bag and it fails on them. A good brand to look at is Kelty. They are quality bags that are more affordable than Gregory.
>>
>>647098
Yeah, and I saw many reviews that stated build quality bad, and good, and a few where people wrote it off as being junk, and a few people that got Teton to replace. I'm just amped that it will be so much better than my baby backpack. I did look at Kelty, but im trying to get out of debt, and honestly, an extra 20-40-60 would wreck my budget. Next year I will be able to afford a better and more expensive brand. We are looking into a Kelty backpacking tent though. I heard they have been getting a lot better than their earlier stuff.
>>
My brother has a teton 3700 hiker pack. He likes it quite a bit, but also hasn't had many chances to get out and use it.

I looked at the Teton stuff, but I ended up with a high Sierra sentinel 65. No complaints except the chest strap is crap. Otherwise I like it.
>>
Used to sell them at a Emergency store I worked at. People said they liked them and my father likes his. Everyone I've talked to has only taken it out for 1-3 campouts though. Reason I don't buy them I don't trust the liability.
>>
>>647206
High Sierra is of suprisingly good quality. Bought my wife a HS Hawk 45 for $50 from woot. She wanted to start doing a few trips with me. Didnt want to blow $200 on an Osprey just incase she hated backpacking.
Its a nice bag for her. My only warning about High Sierra is thier bags dont come in sizes. They have adjusters they claim make their bags "one size fits all". Im 6'3" and the bag was uncomfortable as fuck. My wife is 5'8" fit her perfect.
>>
>>647465
That's why I got the 65L. Not because I have so much gear to carry, but I knew it would fit me better, I'm 6'1" so a small pack often doesn't feel right on me.

The extra space is not used very often, but Im getting into winter camping so the extra room comes in handy when I need to bring extra warm stuff.
>>
>>647107

>extra 20-40-60 would wreck my budget

This is why you will always be poor. Instead of waiting to buy 1 suitable item, you buy two shitty ones and then after you wasted that money you buy the proper one.
>>
>>647571
Now he has two packs and can go take a friend with him asshole.
>>
>>647571
Uh no. I bought a new car off the lot in cash last year. I am paying off a medical bill from last year, it will be paid by May. I have a full time job, with benefits and a retirement plan.
>>
>>647605
You have a full-time job and a retirement plan but can't afford to spend $20 more for the right pack that you want? Do you make 30 cents an hour or something?
>>
>>648211
It's called sticking to a budget. Sure he can spend $20 more, but he's set a budget and is sticking to it. Hes being financially responsible.
>>
>>648216
How is spending an extra $100 for two packs you will never use, fiscally responsible?
Please explain in detail so we can all be smart
>>
>>648238
I budget. That extra 20-40-60 is going into insurance and the house budget. I'm not going to use my cash flow into savings as petty cash to buy an expensive backpack. Now I have the Coleman for day trip stuff, and the Teton for longer trips. Every 3 months we take a week off, and go somewhere. I spent a couple of months looking into a replacement with the features I wanted. If it gets through a year or two, or more, than its good enough for me, and I can always gift them to my nephews if I want to spend money on getting an expensive one down the road. Why
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.