[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is firesteel really the best way to make fire in the woods? What
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 114
Thread images: 25
File: light_my_fire-solo.jpg (11 KB, 400x244) Image search: [Google]
light_my_fire-solo.jpg
11 KB, 400x244
Is firesteel really the best way to make fire in the woods? What are your experiences with this and other methods? I'm sorta new to bushcraft, and starting a fire with sparks seems difficult. Please share any tips/tricks.

Tl;dr how do you make fire in the woods?
>>
I've recently found this as well and it looks promising.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/179537728/sparky-a-fire-starter
>>
>>636620
I just bring a lighter.
>>
There is no "best way". And starting a fire with a fire steel is not difficult, depending on your tinder. Personally I carry matches, a lighter, and a fire steel because the weight and volume is not worth leaving behind. (and its not expensive to have all 3 either)
>>
>Is firesteel really the best way to make fire in the woods?

Is a firesteel even remotely suitable in any situation is a better question.

Maybe for lighting a jet stove when car camping, can't think of much else.
>>
File: images[1].jpg (8 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
images[1].jpg
8 KB, 225x225
>>636631
>>
>>636623
>https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/179537728/sparky-a-fire-starter
Why pay 30 dollars for a tub that literally just holds batteries? Why not just cut out the middleman and just use a 9V battery?
>>
File: DSC01105_-L.jpg (134 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
DSC01105_-L.jpg
134 KB, 800x533
>>636620
>fire steel
>best way
lolnope

As a challenge, sure. "One Match Challenge" is another thing you can try.

But in a survival/emergency situation when you need fire _now_, absolutely not.

I carry a few road flares with me. Two in my pack (both snow and moto pack), two more on my sled; both rolled up in a gallon-size baggie.
Easy to torch off (striker's built into the cap, they'll light with a lighter too) and they burn fuckhot for about 15 minutes. If you can't get a fire started with that, you probably shouldn't be in the woods on your own.
>Pic related
I also carry a handful of Bics, again, a couple in my pack and a few more on my sled.

Since I have an engine/fuel in my vehicle, I can use some of that to kick things off.

Usually when I start fires innawoods, it's a matter of gathering some wood into a pile, wetting it with gasoline, and a quick strike from a lighter to touch it off.

If I really had to, I could pull a spark plug on my sled/bike and pull/kick the engine over to make a spark.
>>
>>636629
/thread
>hurr I need to bring at least 5 methods of doing everything

so bring 5 lighters
>>
>>636636
Your philosophy on fire starting is one I rarely see and one I wish I saw more often. If you NEED a fire started to keep warm then you won't be fucking around with sparks and fiddly bits of tinder gathered off trees. For most people this will be a bic lighter and a firestarter of some kind, as well as some cooker fuel if they have liquid fuel for their stove. In your case the flares probably fill two roles, easy fire and for rescue.
>>
File: numyth_tohil_12.jpg (117 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
numyth_tohil_12.jpg
117 KB, 1200x800
OP here. I just found this lighter here. Apparently it uses all of the same stuff as a Zippo, but it's sealed, so fuel has nowhere to evaporate too. It can be refilled and it's small. Seems like a nice option.
>>
>>636630
this
>>
File: IMG_20141110_233602949-L.jpg (265 KB, 800x451) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20141110_233602949-L.jpg
265 KB, 800x451
>>636652
>fill two roles, easy fire and for rescue
Exactly why I carry them.
>they burn fuckhot for about 15 minutes
which means they'll light up FLIR real well, in addition to red in the visible spectrum.

Sure, they're kind of big, expensive compared to other firestarting methods, but ... the weight/size/cost is worth it should I ever need to use them.

Rubbing sticks together to start a fire is fine, but if your buddy's hypothermic 20 miles from the nearest access road and the sun's disappearing over the horizon, your buddy's not going to wait for you to play boy-scout.

Have one flare in my garage that's kinda old ('09-ish) that needs to be torched off. Next week or two I need to look at the dates on everything I have, buy another 3pk, move older ones from my sled/pack into the truck and the oldest ones in the truck into the garage/trailer to light off campfires at the trailhead.
>>
>>636687
they make half flares you know, just for that kind of thing.
>>
I carry a couple bics and firesteel. Bics are easy to use and fairly reliable but the firesteel is good to have if the bics get wet and theres no time to dry them out

Its not that hard to start a fire with good fire steel though, esp with birch bark
>>
>>636620
godmode: flint & steel
hardmode: ferro rods
medicore: matches, stormlighters
easymode: lighter + candle

i carry everything except flint & steel
>>
Im officially newspaper and lighter here..

Although I almost had a fire from rubbing wood with the drill method...It was wet aswell and failed because the stick went through...

Wood drill is superior to everything, it is the foundation of fire starting, followed by flint striker.
>>
>>636620
I carry a firesteel + magnesium block. The magnesium shavings act as tinder.

Fire pistons look cool also.
>>
File: 20151126_102211_HDR.jpg (3 MB, 4160x3120) Image search: [Google]
20151126_102211_HDR.jpg
3 MB, 4160x3120
I carry enough tinder and a lighter on me to get 1 fire started and that's it.

>Pic related
>>
>>636635
I wonder what the better life on that thing is, like do I only put the batteries in when I want to use it ? It should have a button or switch
>>
>>636641
Armchair survivalist detected

>be you
>never heard of wind
>>
>>636652
>If you NEED a fire started to keep warm then you won't be fucking around with sparks and fiddly bits of tinder gathered off trees

or you know you could just not be an ignoramus...you don't even need to read a book or watch a lecture through simple trial and error you can find out which materials make good tinder in your free time.
>>
>>636747
same :3c
>>
>>636620
That's a ferro rod, a fire steel is used to strike flint to produce sparks
>>
>>636630
/thread
>>
>>636799
Fire steel is the common name for Ferrocerium mate. Yes its confusing because the steel of a flint and steel set was also sometimes called a fire steel back in the day but it is what it is.
>>
>>636815
I guess it depends but I've only heard them called ferro or fire rods, instead of misusing fire steel
>>
>>636817
it's kind of weird calling a fire striker a fire steel in modern times though, it makes it seem like it is some special composition of steel which its not, you can use many different types of steel as well as stuff like iron pyrite or marcasite. Where as Ferrocerium is indeed special alloys of steel.
>>
>>636752
good lighter (like a storm lighter or jetflame) doesn't give two shits about wind, but you can always just build a windbreak over your fire and light it in there. i usually just find a ditch to make fire in, cause wind so hard that causes troubles for lighters is not health to stay in anyways.
>>
>>636820
oh and if you can't find a ditch or a place shielded from wind naturally just dig one or build a lean-to.
it would take from 1 hour to maybe 3 if the terrain is really shit to you. i personally build houses for 5 people in 3 hours but use tarps so it's kinda cheat-mode.
it's nice to have walls around when you build a fire because of the reflected trapped heat you will consume less fuel.
>>
>>636819
To some I suppose, it's more weird to me to call a fire steel a fire striker or to name something else after it
>>
>>636837
Well if you really want to get technical, a Ferrocerium rod should only be called such if it is just iron and cerium. Then each different composition should have its own name, which is also another reason Fire steel was used, as catch all for the metallic material compositions intended to create hot sparks.
>>
>>636656
Or you could buy 50 BIC lighters for the price.
>>
>>636620

No, Bic lighter is better.

Firesteel is always reliable, but unless you plan a long trip just bring a lighter
>>
>>636850
It's strange to use a catch all term when distinct and readily recognisable terms exist that avoid confusion
>>
>>636855
>when distinct and readily recognisable terms exist

Except they don't exist ? What do I call the things you can buy from firesteel.com ? what do you call the things sold by Light My Fire ? what do you call the thing attached to the Mora Bushcraft Survival Knife ?
>>
>>636862
Ferro rods, I can't imagine why those people get it wrong
>>
>>636873
ferro literally means iron. Iron rod is a far more generic name than fire steel.
>>
>>636876
More generic but it wasn't used to identify a fire steel
>>
I always carry a lighter and i guess that would be the easiest way to start a fire.

Its fun to start a fire with out a lighter.
so i alwas try to use a non lighter alternative.

Favorit: ferrorod and fatwood

also like the magnesium block with ferrorod

Frictionfire is tricky

making fire with glasses never worked for me

steelwool and battery works very well but why?

flint and steel needs skill
>>
>>636884
flint and steel is not that hard tho
i have seen a guy do it faster than i could light a lighter
the trick is to have char-cloth otherwise it's gonna be a sucky experience
>>
File: Cnv0285[1].jpg (140 KB, 714x536) Image search: [Google]
Cnv0285[1].jpg
140 KB, 714x536
>>636711
forgot one.

hipster tier: fire piston
>>
>>636795
Way to miss the point. If you're in a situation where hypothermia is a danger then you'll want a fire started as soon as possible, and gathering tinder gets in the way of that. I'm perfectly capable of lighting a fire using more traditional means, and if I'm just starting the campfire then I'll often do it that way. But I'm not going to risk my buddy's life if he's freezing to death by doing things the hard way when I have the means to create fire in seconds in my pack.
>>
>>636942
Literally no one does otherwise....enjoy beating up that strawman ?
>>
File: image.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
I use my Leatherman Signal to start fires.
>>
File: image.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
>>636971
>>
>>636631
robust + waterproof, something a lighter and matches are not
>>
A few bics
A few matches covered in wax
And a few cotton balls soaked in vasoline

These things in two separate zip lock bags and to can start a fire anywhere.
>>
>>636687
I carry army hexamine tablets for the same reason
>>
>>636894
do these even work?
>>
>>637290
Will it work?
Yes
Is it practical?
No
>>
Still have my 70's flint & steel from the BSA
Lighters are great until they get wet.
f&s weighs nothing. Pro-tip dryer lint

It's really not difficult at all. I can have a full blaze going as fast as you can with a lighter.
>>
>>636636
Well, that's because you're a faggot who never uses his own two feet to travel. Lighters and matches are good because they're small and light. Flares aren't.
>>
>>636641
I keep two with me in separate bags incase one gets water in it and I have some weatherproof matches for backup but have never had to use them
>>
>>636620
Firesteel is the only thing I carry. But mine has a butane excellerant. Its made by Bic.
>>
>>636799
Ferro is short for ferrous, which means iron. Steel is iron with a little carbon mixed in.
>>
>>637398
In this particular instance ferro is short for ferrocerium, a man made material made mostly of mischmetal and iron
>>
>>637400
I don't know if I'd consider an alloy a man-made material, especially since most metals are naturally found as alloys anyway.
>>
>>637513
Or salts, which is still not a refined metal.

How would everyone feel about a sodium firestarter? It would take no skill at all... just drop it on wet tinder, and it'll burst into flames!
>>
>>636971

did you light your belly button fluff?
>>
>>637218
lighters are pretty waterproof dude
that you have to wait a single minute for them to dry out (not even that with piezzo ones) is no big deal stop being a retard. storm lighters are also pretty resilient and able to ignite even wet wood something your faggy little firestick could never accomplish. and they cost way less and you can refill them.
>>
>>637218

Lighters are waterproof what are you talking about? So are plenty of matches.
>>
>>636623
the fucking stupidest thing ever, why the fuck would i buy that and then have to carry around steel wool with me?
also that shit can be done with just a battery
>>
>>636623
>sparky
basically it just holds batteries that would do the same without it
costs money
kek what kind of kek would buy it?
>>
>>637567
dryer lint makes a great firestarter, just collect that shit and loosely pack it in a toilet paper tube for a good firestarter. I use that in my stove at home, but I imagine it would work pretty well out too
>>
>>636620
so what's your favorite ferro rod /out/
many youtubers seem to imply that unless your ferro rod is as big as your dick it's gonna suck at starting fires for real.
do the small ones even work?
>>
THe best way is a bic lighter. If you are practicing survival skills, firesteel and a knife.
>>
>>637629
>dryer lint makes a great firestarter,
That's what it was and its a great fire starter.
>>
>>638044
depends on their composition and what you are using as a striker. you need to personally field test them to get a feel for it. And yes the small are functional.
>>
>>636620
Go to the gas station. Go to the counter pick up a lighter. There you go. Best fire starter you can ask for. I also carry the flint and steel for the bug out bag, but a simple lighter is all you'll ever need. Just keep track of the butane level.
>>
File: torcheurojetB.jpg (18 KB, 475x475) Image search: [Google]
torcheurojetB.jpg
18 KB, 475x475
>>638450
these work best in theory
i have personally yet to try it just picked one up for $3 i have used regular 1$ lighters and was satisfied they made fire every time.
they supposedly can light even dripping wet twigs resistant to water and refillable you can also clearly see where the fluid level at and if the protective cup is on then no accidental discharge in your pack or kit.
>>
>>636629
This.
>>
>>636620
can anyone tell me where the ferro rod hype began?
>>
>>636620
The most reliable, it's guaranteed to work and pretty much impossible to break or destroy.

Far from being the most practical in practice though. It's guaranteed to light something that's dry and flammable enough, but then it isn't really hard to light something dry and flammable, and getting a proper firestarter is way more important than figuring out how to light it up.

Great as a last resort, but that's it. Don't believe Bear Grylls who soaks his wood with gasoline.
>>
>>640029
see >>640051
>Bear Grylls
>>
>>636620
thank you for saying 'in the woods' and not 'innawoods' like most of these other fucking faggots around here.
>>
>>636711
Would it really be godmode if you didnt have to find the flint n steel before every fire?
>>
If starting a fire from scratch is so hard how'd my ancestors survive in Europe?
>>
>>636635
Why not just spend 99¢ on a Bic™ that will be more reliable, easier to use, and last longer, all while weighting less and taking up less space?
>>
>>640508
i have seen it go smoother and faster than with a match. basically first hit can ignite the char-cloth which you can ignite your secondary tinder with.

but generally it's the fire making method that needs the either most experience and luck or the most preparation and weight of equipment carried.
>>
>>640562
why not spend $3 on a proper lighter that can ignite wet wood in the middle of a windstorm even if wet itself?
>>
I've found that dry plants and twigs that sort of give off a dust when broken catches fire a lot faster. Also tree sap or wood from a part of a tree where sap was being produced is an excellent fire kickstarter. But I'd always use a bic lighter personally. Some people feel the need to be primitive when out in the wild but its way better to have simple luxuries like an instant fire in case you get wet or begin to starve.
>>
>>640754
cont.

i have seen a guys vid on youtube who was annoying as fuck and slow to the point but he made one great point for flint and steel:
it is probably the best long term source of ignition. long term means years spent away from other humans or civilization. especially if the area has flint cause the flint (or other source of SiO2 like quartz) will chip away.

the steel will not likely to wear off in a lifetime, you can make new char material after the first fire easily enough keeping it in a continued supply. punk-wood is best for this purpose. if you can find new flint this kit will go on forever. no gas to run out no ferro rod to whittle away no lighter to run out of fuel it's fucking medieval yet not actually that hard.
>>
File: DSC02575-L.jpg (131 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
DSC02575-L.jpg
131 KB, 800x600
>not carrying magic fire rocks
>>
File: MOV02576-2.webm (2 MB, 426x320) Image search: [Google]
MOV02576-2.webm
2 MB, 426x320
Just add water and a spark.
>>
File: DSC02577-L.jpg (113 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
DSC02577-L.jpg
113 KB, 800x600
>>637391
>small and light
>>
>>641026
>>641035
>>641036
muley i would like to buy your rocks
>>
File: shittingdicknipples.jpg (232 KB, 1200x1600) Image search: [Google]
shittingdicknipples.jpg
232 KB, 1200x1600
>>641038
Buy your own magic fire rocks!

>Local Army/Navy Surplus carries pint-size cans of it for about $15
>>
File: image.jpg (64 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
64 KB, 500x500
My mixtape usually does the trick, always have one on me
>>
Depends on what I have on hand. I once started a fire with these fiber crackers that were basically cardboard. My buddy bought them for some reason and they tasted like ass. Made great kindling though.
>>
File: 61lCxvlMo+L._SL1500_[1].jpg (118 KB, 1500x1000) Image search: [Google]
61lCxvlMo+L._SL1500_[1].jpg
118 KB, 1500x1000
I keep two bics, a magnifying lense (for fun), and pic related (throws some really good parks.
>>
File: IMGP8951.jpg (224 KB, 662x1000) Image search: [Google]
IMGP8951.jpg
224 KB, 662x1000
i usually use a desk. i start with the drawers and take it from there
>>
File: dick_proenneke.jpg (16 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
dick_proenneke.jpg
16 KB, 400x400
>>636620
on a camping trip this October in the Huron National Forest in Michigan, brought along a cheap firesteel from like a surplus store or something, brought some birch bark that I collected in a ziploc many months before, so was pretty much bone dry.

That shit is an amazing substance. Birch bark is truly invaluable for firestarting.

Anyway, used a firesteel for the first time in years, since my boy scout days, used my knife instead of that shitty little scraper and just blasted sparks on this little nest of birch bark underneath a tinder pile. WHHOOOSSSHH of flames. Fire started.
dick:hard.
friends were amazed, felt like les stroud or some shit
>>
>>637513
It can be found in nature and is manufactured by man, I don't know the literal definition of man made is but I would guess that's pretty close
>>
>>641263
Meant can't, not can
>>
>>637580
gearqueers, obviously
>>
>>641043
fucking awesome
unless your container gets wet or condense water forms inside cause then you are fucked
>>
It is easier with practice, use raw tinder such as real Cotton balls, dryer lint, and such things. You usually have to bring your own tinder. One spark and your tinder is up in flames. Same as a lighter. Then it's just building up larger pieces of wood. It helps to throw dry leaves on it while you're trying to get logs and kindling to catch. Pine trees are the absolute shit when it comes to making a fire. The resin running through the wood, even when slightly there, is very flammable and you can usually catch damp pine wood with fire. Raw pine resin is extremely flammable and is an awesome fire starter and helps prolong fire burning
>>
>>640562
I second this, though I usually have 2 bics and matches. I carry cotton balls with Vaseline on them in an old pill bottle.
>>
desu, I just carry a couple bic lighters and a box of waterproof matches for emergencies
the bic lighters haven't failed once (although i had to use the spare lighter once because the primary one ran out of fuel)
>>
>>641317
>>641630
most of the time a common lighter is good enough especially if you carry tinder like vaseline soaked cotton balls or fatwood or accelerants like paraffin (candles) or lighter fluid or alcohol.

problems arise when you don't have ready tinder and everything is damp or outright wet. then your lighter will have a hard time to ignite anything. i have spent a good amount of time making fire last time and it was only due to the fact i had candles on me just in case that i could make fire.

so if you go with common lighter then you should carry at least a candle or a tea candle. or the gay balls of vaseline or my new favorite the calcium-carbide magic rocks.

i also want to try to saturate very dry pine or balsa sticks with either resin or paraffin (cheaper and doesn't smell as much) to see if i can make my own firesticks to go with my lighter.

but for last resort it's best to have your second lighter a bit more capable like >>638715 they burn with a blue jet even in high wind and wet wood they will char and ignite the sticks
>>
>>636620
btw this dude sums it up pretty good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WPigQdfcBU
>>
File: propane torch.jpg (41 KB, 350x975) Image search: [Google]
propane torch.jpg
41 KB, 350x975
>>636620
>the best way to make fire in the woods?

Why fuck around with ferro rods or Bic lighters unless you're hard-core ultra-lite eXtreme backpackerfag?
>>
>>641782
come on man that thing is bigger than a water bottle and probably heavier too
>>
File: hunting.jpg (165 KB, 609x737) Image search: [Google]
hunting.jpg
165 KB, 609x737
>>641840

I’m truck camping and hunting, not backpacking.
>>
File: truck-camping.jpg (51 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
truck-camping.jpg
51 KB, 640x360
>>642021
lol i just got this mental image in the middle of a national reserve
>>
>>641782
Why carry that when you can keep a small cannister of gasoline.
>>
File: 1441627884269.png (290 KB, 583x518) Image search: [Google]
1441627884269.png
290 KB, 583x518
>>641782
>>
>>638044
They do. I have the brand Light My Fire 'S firesteel 2.0 works beautifully
>>
File: 070042190281.jpg (156 KB, 537x813) Image search: [Google]
070042190281.jpg
156 KB, 537x813
>>642180
>Why carry that when you can keep a small cannister of gasoline.

Gas is messy, stinks and is dangerous while a propane torch can be tossed into a Rubbermaid bin and forgotten about until needed again and a propane torch does a quicker and better job of lighting a camp fire, as you can aim it right at the kindling instead of splashing gas around willy-nilly, which as often as not burns out in a couple of seconds without getting the fire lit.

The propane torch is also useful for lighting a charcoal chimney for grilling, smoking or cooking with a Dutch oven and is also the best method for getting a fire going in a fireplace or wood burning stove, as you can use the torch to get a column of warm air rising up the chimney before lighting the kindling, preventing smoke from flowing back into the living space.
>>
>>641289
>container gets wet or condense water forms inside cause then you are fucked

How do I safely contain these? Would a simple waterproof container and silica descant work? I'd like to keep some in my char cloth tin. With a small tube connected to the hole in the char tin and aluminum reflector (negligible weight) you now directional lamp, or a simple back up fire source, or a FUCKING WELDING TORCH!! Don't know why you'd need a welding torch in the woods but who else can say they pack a welding torch while going /out/?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSM-0wHEazU
>>
>>636971
Do you like the Leatherman Signal m8? Is it good? How's the hammer?
>>
>>636620
Bring a lighter and some matches. It is all you will ever need.
>>
>>642696
I haven't had a problem keeping it in one of those waterproof match containers. Goes in an inside pocket of my pack along with my other survival/first-aid gear.

I guess don't be dumb and it'll be fine.
Thread replies: 114
Thread images: 25

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.